Mission: Space -- Motion sickness comparisons

Disney2002

Original Poster
This may seem like a repeat thread (for the 100th time), but I'm interested in knowing how Mission:Space compares to other attractions with similar technology -- or rather, physics.

The motion seems to me to be a lot like a Router (the ride where you spin against the wall, and the floor drops out... and you stick to the wall from the force). Since that ride actually makes me black out, I was wondering how similar M:S is.

I can take anything but spinning -- something that gets worse as I get older. I'd hate to miss out of M:S; but would hate to be sick for a day even more.

Defend10

Follow the directions, and you really shouldn't have a problem. The issue, from what I've seen seems to be twofold. First, many, many people lean forward, look around, close their eyes, etc. when specifically told not to by the preshow. Seriously, people all the time when they mention they felt sick on M:S, "did you follow the directions?" "I only leaned forward for a second" well then what the heck did you expect? :brick: :lol:

Also, the other problem, don't let the warnings make you wary of sickness, they're good PR and all, warning people well to steer clear if they get sick, as WDW doesn't want their guests upset. Don't let it make you think you'll be sick. They will be quite frank about it and bluntly shove it in your face repeatedly, but it's not as bad as they make it sound by any means.

I've ridden easily 10 times by now, and I am fairly prone to motion sickness. M:S, however, has never bothered me, except for the one time I leaned forward (I swear, I wanted to see what happens, I'm no hypocrite :D )

The Mom

Premium Member
My husband doesn't tolerate spinning well; it doesn't bother me. I had been on M:S, and thought he would be OK because I never felt any spinning sensation. Apparently, his middle ear still could tell and he felt queasy for several hours following his ride. It really ruined his birthday dinner that evening. :hurl:

He followed the instructions to the letter, so that wasn't a factor, nor had we eaten before riding. As I said, I had already ridden it without him on a previous trip.

Bill

Account Suspended
If you're not sure, go to the Baby Care Center and buy some Dramamine & take it an hour and a half before you ride. :)

cm1988

Originally posted by Disney2002
...seems to me to be a lot like a Router (the ride where you spin against the wall, and the floor drops out... actually makes me black out... wondering how similar M:S is... can take anything but spinning...
Based on what you've said, I'd very stongly suggest you do not ride Mission:Space.

As others have noted here and in similar threads, most people simply enjoy the sensations of added gravity (similar to that sticking to the wall feeling). But it is accomplished by spinning, with considerable speed. Due to inner ear or other conditions, no ride is for everyone. Holding your head a particular way or following directions precisely will not alleviate a medical condition... which your blackout on 'Rotor' would indicate.

Sorry, but I wanted to be clear on this. Enjoy everything else WDW has to offer (maybe except the teacups and simulators) but pass Mission by.

spikesmom

M:S experience

I had no sense of the spinning, and sometimes spinny rides bother me. I think the warnings almsot make you too apprehensive. We weer diercted to a pseace capsule and someone had thrown up in it (gross) so we had to wait by ourselves in a hallway for a good 10 minutes before being put into another one. Taslk about nervous, by that time I was convince the ride was a killer, but I was just fine and loved the ride.

EmeraldDolphin

I rode M.S. 2x in a row... spinning things sometimes bother me, unless I can fix my eye on the horizon... but I didn't have any sensation of spinning on M.S. For me... I wouldn't ride it 2x in a row again... I'd take a break in between rides.

Susan39

Mission Space

I rode MS last week. I too can take anything but spinning. I went on the ride with the attitude that I would be fine, and followed all of the suggestions. The minute the ride started, I couldn't wait to get off. It was a very cool ride, but it made me incredibly queasy. I didn't get sick, and didn't ruin my day, but it did take me a little while (maybe an hour) to feel completely normal again.

The funny thing was, that I was sitting next to a woman who was pretty nervous. She was concerned that she would get sick. I shrugged it off, thinking I would be fine. At the end, she LOVED the ride - while I was looking a little green! Also, my 9 and 7 year old sons loved it too. They rode it two times in a row with no problems.

I would say that if you don't do well on spinning rides, you may be better off skipping MS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom