Mission: Space... Is this too much for kids?

What should disney do with M:S?

• Total voters

WDFAN1977

I think this ride is great. My wife and I rode it back in Oct 03 and had a great time. That being said I think Disney should impose an age requirement for the ride not because this ride is dangerous for children but do to the recent death it would help to keep Disney out of the hot seat.

lebeau

As I see it, there are really 2 issues here.

1. Do I think the ride is appropriate for children? No. Definitely not for 4 year olds. I wouldn't put many 8 or 9 year olds on it either. But it would have to be on a case by case basis. Some 20-somethings can't handle M:S whereas some 12 year olds probably could.

2. How should Disney handle the ride? I see no need to make any changes. There are already plenty of warnings for any reasonable person to determine whether or not the ride is appropriate. And an age restriction would not be heeded becuase people would lie. Disney should not be making this decision for people. It should be a parents' decision - as long as the parents are well-informed which given the number of warnings posted there is no excuse for them not to be informed.

righttrack

At worst, the ride can aggravate a pre-existing medical condition, IMO. There are all kinds of disclaimers for that. I am sorry for the child and his family. It was so sad, but if there isn't something wrong, inform, and leave the choice up to the parents.

Age restrictions don't work because kids don't carry ID around with them, unless you build that into the park ticket. Height requirements are the only way.

M:SpilotISTC12

I went on it in July 03. When we were the guniea pigs for the ride and not one person seemed upset or sick or anything. It makes me wonder if they intensified or untesnsifed the ride.*Dont mark my spelling if words are spelt wrong*

peter11435

You forgeot option 4.
It should read, how do you feel about M:S?
-Close it
-Let it open
-Add an age restriction
-Stop posting threads about it

Laura

Premium Member
I think there needs to be an age restriction just because a common 4 year old does not have the know-how or discipline to look straight ahead at the screen to prevent disorientation. My feelings on this have nothing to do with the recent tragedy because I don't believe the child's death had anything to do with his age.

peter11435

Laura22 said:
I think there needs to be an age restriction just because a common 4 year old does not have the know-how or discipline to look straight ahead at the screen to prevent disorientation. My feelings on this have nothing to do with the recent tragedy because I don't believe the child's death had anything to do with his age.
The problem is that there is no way for Disney to know how old a child is.

Laura

Premium Member
peter11435 said:
The problem is that there is no way for Disney to know how old a child is.

That would not really matter - it would be more to help the parents make a better informed decision. If my 4 year old was a daring kid and liked a thrill and I had never been on Mission Space before, then I would most likely take my kid along on the ride with me if he met the height requirement. But if there was something outside that said "this ride is unsuitable for children under the age of 6" then I would not bring him on.

peter11435

Laura22 said:
That would not really matter - it would be more to help the parents make a better informed decision. If my 4 year old was a daring kid and liked a thrill and I had never been on Mission Space before, then I would most likely take my kid along on the ride with me if he met the height requirement. But if there was something outside that said "this ride is unsuitable for children under the age of 6" then I would not bring him on.
The problem would not be people like you who follow the rules. The problem is the people who try to get their kids on attractions they are not tall enough for because they think they can handle it. These same people will be even more of a problem with a requirement that can not be physically verified. But I agree that it could help a little.

lebeau

Laura22 said:

An age suggestion such as you described may be better than an age requirement.

BRER STITCH

New Signs To be Posted at the Entrance to Each Park:

WELCOME!

FAILURE TO USE PROPER JUDGEMENT AND COMMON SENSE ON OUR ATTRACTIONS MAY RESULT IN DEATH!

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!

:wave:

cj2me

I am sorry for what happened to this young boy and family. No one should have to deal with such a tragedy.

Being a parent myself, I feel it is up to the parent to decide if a ride is "safe" for their child. We did not let me nephew (4 and met the hgt req) go on because we did not feel he was old enough and "mature" enough to handle the requirements of this ride. We watched the videos of the ride, read the restrictions and rode it ourselves first before we made a decision of whether or not to let him ride. I rather hear my kid throw a tantrum for several minutes than have to deal with any sickness or worse afterwards. I like the idea of an Age recomendation but as peter11425 stated there are many parents who would not follow the rules and not see the word "recommedation" as a warning.

My feeling though is that there was pre-existing condition that was maybe "aggravated" by the ride.

Testtrack321

I'm against age restrictions, not because they are pointless, but because they are VERY VERY flexable. I know of a story where a 1 month old was almost on the Matterhorn because her parent's said she was over 2, the age restriction then. This was before height was used there.

TheBig2er

It all comes down to the parents. I would not let my kids ride a ride that is so obviously violent. I ran into a smart parent one day outside of Snow whites scary adventures and they asked me if they thought the ride would be too scary for their kids. I looked at the kids and said yes ebcause they were very young. If you get in line for a ride with as many warning signs and videos as Mission Space has, and you still let your kids ride, youa re failign them as a parent. Common sense shoudl tell a parent that the ride may be too much for a 4 year old or even a 10 year old to take. I am not surprised a 4 year old died on thsi ride because i asked myself why is a 4 year old on this ride? It makes no sense to me because it is so obvious that the ride is violent, Disney says so. Of course it is tragic what happened. However it comes down to parents being parents, and knowing what is best for their child. I wouldnt let my 4 year old ride Tower of Terror or the Rock and Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. Kids of that age don't have control over their bodies, Plain and Simple.

Sloan

"So obviously violent"?

TheBig2er said:
It all comes down to the parents. I would not let my kids ride a ride that is so obviously violent. I ran into a smart parent one day outside of Snow whites scary adventures and they asked me if they thought the ride would be too scary for their kids. I looked at the kids and said yes ebcause they were very young. If you get in line for a ride with as many warning signs and videos as Mission Space has, and you still let your kids ride, youa re failign them as a parent. Common sense shoudl tell a parent that the ride may be too much for a 4 year old or even a 10 year old to take. I am not surprised a 4 year old died on thsi ride because i asked myself why is a 4 year old on this ride? It makes no sense to me because it is so obvious that the ride is violent, Disney says so. Of course it is tragic what happened. However it comes down to parents being parents, and knowing what is best for their child. I wouldnt let my 4 year old ride Tower of Terror or the Rock and Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. Kids of that age don't have control over their bodies, Plain and Simple.

Are you saying that Mission: Space is "violent"? I have found it to be quite smooth w/o much "violent" motion at all, particularly as compared to a ride like RNR. Have I not been paying attention on the many, many times I've been on this attraction?

TheBig2er

Not Violent in a shaking kind of way but the pressure placed on ones body is quite a bit different from any other ride I have experienced. Perhaps Violent wasn't the correct word but it does take a toll on your body. Perhaps intense would have been a better word to describe the feeling you get when riding. I can understand how a kid would panic in a situation like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom