Mission Space: Green worth the trouble?

geekza

Original Poster
The last time I was in WDW was right when M:S opened and the line was so long that I just wasn't going to brave it. I'm finally heading back down next month and have been considering going ahead and giving it a shot. With that said, my formerly-iron stomach has gone away in the past twelve years (not the stomach, that keeps getting larger) so I'll likely have to do M:S Green if I do it at all.

Should I even bother? Is the spinning of the Orange side so important to the experience of riding the attraction that the Green side ends up being essentially shoved into a tiny closet while you watch a movie? I haven't really heard people talk about it, other than to state the obvious that it doesn't spin.

Conversely, is Orange so bad that I would regret my life choices if I just sucked it up and gave it a try? My tendency for nausea isn't so bad that I can't take the occasional ride on a Round-Up, though it would definitely be limited to a single time as opposed to during my younger days when I was known to ride "spinny rides" multiple times with very few ill effects.

Schneewittchen

I usually do the green version, I tried the orange version last spring and I almost lost my lunch. I'm an old lady in my 40's now, can't handle the pressure that the spinning causes. My 8 year old got queasy too. We normally do fine on spinning carnival type rides.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy green with my DH (in his 50s) and the kids. It's fun and I miss Gary Sinise.

Darkseid

The orange side was so bad for me that I never ventured to the green side. The spinning doesn't really feel like spinning, as you are in a closed capsule. It gives an effect of increased pressure, rather than spinning. Do you know that carnival ride that spins and the force holds you against the wall? It is like that. You feel like you're being pushed down.

I am slightly prone to motion sickness, but mainly only on long car rides. I've done spinning rides with no issues. That dang orange side got me bad.

Nottamus

Green is a whole different movie now too, so really you can do both to get......both.

The waits are usually in the low 10's-15's whenever we go there, so thats a plus!

My wife won't do either, so I'm always the 4th wheel in someone else's family....But i keep going on..

joejccva71

I can do any roller coaster at Cedar Point. Doesn't matter how many corkscrews, sharp turns, loops, etc. I can't do the Mission Space Orange. I even tried dramamine first. Nope. I get really dizzy and queasy.

GabeP

FWIW my wife did green on our trip down there last week and promptly turned green! granted, she doesn't have the most iron of stomachs, but still. we were killing time while TT was about to reopen after one of the typical late summer pop up storms rolled through..90 min wait 5 min before the storm to walk on when it reopened about 45 min later!

geekza

Original Poster
I guess I'll just gauge my general well-being when I'm there and see what happens. If I go on Orange and I spew, at least I'll have a story to tell.

epcotisbest

I guess I'll just gauge my general well-being when I'm there and see what happens. If I go on Orange and I spew, at least I'll have a story to tell.

If you go on orange, you might feel bad for the rest of the day. Why risk it? The other side is fun, without the potential for sickness.
While you might have a story to tell, it does not seem like a very good story, nor worth it at all, especially since you have already said your stomach might not handle it.

KBLovedDisney

I can do any roller coaster at Cedar Point. Doesn't matter how many corkscrews, sharp turns, loops, etc. I can't do the Mission Space Orange. I even tried dramamine first. Nope. I get really dizzy and queasy.
Same here. I can do roller coasters with twist, turns, drops, etc. Except the Carolina Cyclone at Carowinds. Gawd, give me the new Fury any day, but after I got off of Carolina Cyclone this past time, I thought I was gonna hurl.

KBLovedDisney

If you can handle simple simulators, you should be good on Green (I've never done the green side, but this is what I've heard). But the Orange side, it is pretty tough. I did the Orange side a few years ago back when lieutenant Dan was still operating the missions. If you can handle g-forces that come off from rides like the Gravitron from state fairs, you should be good.

Oddly enough, I can't ride regular simulators like Star Tours. However, even though the g-forces are rough, I was able to handle Mission Space. But it did give me a slight headache afterwards.

geekza

Original Poster
Body Wars made me nauseous back in the day, but Star Tours didn't, for some reason. I can handle the Gravitron, but I'd rather not be pukey for the rest of the day. Maybe I'll just go with Green and not worry. Tough choices, these. lol

KBLovedDisney

Body Wars made me nauseous back in the day, but Star Tours didn't, for some reason. I can handle the Gravitron, but I'd rather not be pukey for the rest of the day. Maybe I'll just go with Green and not worry. Tough choices, these. lol
Oh gawd...Body Wars...I think I blacked out on that one. I got so sick.
Like those old simulator rides they had in malls back in the 90s? Rode one once with my brother. That was a bad day for me.:depressed::hungover:

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The last time I was in WDW was right when M:S opened and the line was so long that I just wasn't going to brave it. I'm finally heading back down next month and have been considering going ahead and giving it a shot. With that said, my formerly-iron stomach has gone away in the past twelve years (not the stomach, that keeps getting larger) so I'll likely have to do M:S Green if I do it at all.

Should I even bother? Is the spinning of the Orange side so important to the experience of riding the attraction that the Green side ends up being essentially shoved into a tiny closet while you watch a movie? I haven't really heard people talk about it, other than to state the obvious that it doesn't spin.

Conversely, is Orange so bad that I would regret my life choices if I just sucked it up and gave it a try? My tendency for nausea isn't so bad that I can't take the occasional ride on a Round-Up, though it would definitely be limited to a single time as opposed to during my younger days when I was known to ride "spinny rides" multiple times with very few ill effects.

I’ve only ridden the new orange, not the new green. The way the CM put it, “Green has one intense moment [the launch], Orange has more.”

The Empress Lilly

Green is fun in itself!

Also if you start with green, you get used to the claustrophobia that is half the scare of orange. The other half are some real g-forces, as if some hippo decided to sit on you. (Love it though!)

If you do orange, simply follow the instructions. Look forward and forward only. Do not move your head sideways. Keep your eyes open.

You can see what tilting your head sideways does by simply by looking over your shoulder in Thunder, or the Teacups. This what creates the dizziness.

HouCuseChickie

I've only been on orange once and it messed with my stomach for the rest of the day. I just don't do well on things that spin. Green is fine though and at the very least, it's something to do.

zurgandfriend

The first time we rode Mission Space there was no orange or green just the orange version. I tried to warn my DW and our then, 5 years old DS but they would not listen. I sat between them and had to assist both of them with the vomit bag, luckily not at the same time. They stumbled off the ride and had to sit on a bench outside for about 30 minutes, fun times.

LUVofDIS

I love the orange, the feeling is awesome. The green is cool as it has different scenery and story. I try to do orange two to three times per EPCOT visit and green only once per trip.

That being said, I now hesitate to tell anyone to ride orange, I suggested to a friend, okay I told him it was a not to miss attraction, that he needed to ride orange. Now he loves big and fast coasters so I thought he was good. Well, it was I believe the second ride of the day and he rode MS orange. He called me a few hours later to ask me if I hated him or what. He said he rode it, got off and felt terrible. He told his family he needed to sit for a few minutes. After sitting for some time he told them he needed to head back to the camp site. I did feel bad.

Goofyernmost

No one can answer that question for you. I enjoy the green side, but, I haven't been on it since the changes. I do know that it was nothing like Orange in intensity, but, it did give some of the same feelings, but, no spinning (which is the primary thing that causes motion sickness) and the movement was a whole lot less then either Star Tours or Body Wars.

TwilightZone

Just reading this makes me wonder why the people of disney chose this ride system over the original dark ride plan. Just sounds awful!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom