Mission: SPACE death update

lawyergirl77

Laura22 said:
Exactly. You don't just walk around living life as if your child *might* have a very rare undiagnosed disorder. If as far as you know your child is healthy then that's how you treat them. Disney says he's tall enough to ride, the parents assume he's healthy, had it not been for this medical condition he would have been fine. There is no one at fault here.
Well said, Laura.

Accidents suck, and there's nothing anyone can do about them... It's tragic when you see people grasping at straws trying to find someone to blame, and then you watch their faces crumple as you explain to them that it's "just one of those things..." *shudder* My thoughts and prayers continue to be with his parents. This is just such an awful story.

Chase24

bgraham34 said:
But the parents are still at fault for bringing their kid on that ride no matter how you look at it.
:zipit: Come on. I have a four year old and if I worried about everything he did (wanted to do) because there "might" be something wrong with him, he'd do nothing but visit the Dr.'s Office to make sure he was ok. I am sad everytime I see any child get hurt or worse, but we still must let them live in a responible manner. If this child met the requirements for the ride and the parents did not know he was not 100% healthy, then this is part of life, sad, but part of life. Please keep the parents in your thoughts, they were letting their child enjoy life.

wannab@dis

lawyergirl77 said:
Well said, Laura.

Accidents suck, and there's nothing anyone can do about them... It's tragic when you see people grasping at straws trying to find someone to blame, and then you watch their faces crumple as you explain to them that it's "just one of those things..." *shudder* My thoughts and prayers continue to be with his parents. This is just such an awful story.

Interesting to see a lawyer NOT "grasp at straws to find someone to blame" :lookaroun :D

You're right. Our society has become a never ending blame game. While I don't agree with the media laying the blame on Disney, I also don't understand the need for some to pin it totally on the parents.

It appears to me that NOBODY is to blame. I hope we'll see some coverage that makes that point, but I doubt it will be shown.

ErickainPA

No one is to blame for this tragic accident. The parents were letting their son live life and enjoy a ride, unfortunately the outcome was not what anyone would have wanted. Disney created a ride that meets safety requirements and posted the information they needed to regarding the ride. If the parents had any knowledge of his heart problem I am sure they would have had their son stay off the ride. We all make personal choices as to allow our children to go on a ride or not

As a parent who has lost a child, I give my sympathy to the parents in this terrible tragedy, I am sure it's been horrible for them these last few months, not knowing what caused their son to pass away at such a young age and especially now with the holidays coming, knowing how excited their son would be opening presents and such and never getting to have that chance to see his happy face again.

Losing a child is not something anyone should have to experience.

CAPTAIN HOOK

The accident could have happened equally on SE or TT - there is nothing to show that M:S was responsible for this tragic accident. Its a sad loss for the family.

Hawk4255

The accident could have happened equally on SE or TT - there is nothing to show that M:S was responsible for this tragic accident. Its a sad loss for the family.

Exactly. Could have happened on any intense attraction. Still, sad no matter what.

shoppingnut

Jose Eber said:
Its kind of like astronaut training -- not for everyone, not for the average person. Which is sort of sad that Disney is getting too specific in ride creation -- nice if the whole family could ride.

If you go by that line of thinking who is to decide which type of "whole family" to model the rides from, since there are some families that all go on every thrill ride together starting when the kids are at the proper height requirement. And, while these same kids go on the thrill rides, they might be the same ones that won't go on something like Haunted Mansion or Bugs Life, so should be shut them down too because they are too intense mentally.

There really isn't an "average" when you consider rides. I can go on RNR and be okay, but can't go on SM at all because I get sick. So how do you decide which one of these rides is "average." There is no real way to decide and besides who would want to go to a place that had "average" rides, I know I wouldn't.

sleepybear

Craig & Lisa said:
It is always a sad thing for this to happen, but in light of this news do you think anyone will say I'm sorry to Disney in a public statement? The media or the family?, I think not.

I think apologizing to Disney is the last thing on this family's mind. As it should be.

wannab@dis

sleepybear said:
I think apologizing to Disney is the last thing on this family's mind. As it should be.
Well, the reported lawsuit they were thinking of bringing against Disney wasn't the last thing on their mind... :wave:

Brian_B

Jose Eber said:
Its a very intense ride. you really have to be in great health for that thing.

Its kind of like astronaut training -- not for everyone, not for the average person. Which is sort of sad that Disney is getting too specific in ride creation -- nice if the whole family could ride.

Amen!

I'd like to take this time to state that the death rate on Horizons was a lot lower...:lookaroun

- Brian

tigsmom

Here you go..

And for the record, this child could have died anywhere, anytime ...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-boy111505,0,190910.story?coll=orl-home-headlines Autopsy shows boy died at Disney from heart condition

Henry Pierson Curtis
Sentinel Staff Writer

November 15, 2005, 12:05 PM EST

A 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy who died last summer after he rode one of Walt Disney World's most popular thrill rides died from a cardiac arrythmia brought on by heart disease.

Daudi Bamuwamye collapsed June 14 while riding Mission: Space at EPCOT with his mother and older sister. Orange-Osceola Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia released the cause of death today as heart abnormality from an unknown, possibly congenital cause.

"People with this condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their life due to abnormal electrical heart rhythms," she wrote. "The risk could be increased under physical and emotional stressful situations."

Neither the child's parents or their lawyer, Robert A. Samartin of Tampa, could be reached for comment.

Garavaglia informed the parents of the cause of death on Monday and waited a day to release it to the public to give the parents time to absorb the information.

Disney released a statement today saying, "Our sympathies are with the families during this difficult time. In regard to the reports, we believe they speak for themselves."

Questions were raised immediately after the death about the quality of Disney's emergency medical response by Disney ride attendants.

Despite being certified to perform CPR, two attendants who observed Daudi Bamuwamye being carried motionless from the ride did not check his pulse and thought he had passed out, according to a recording of their 911 call.

The Disney workers did not begin CPR for more than 2 minutes before being prompted to start by a 911 dispatcher.

No one has commented on whether the delay might have contributed to the child's death.

Millions of children and adults have ridden Mission:Space, a ride that mimics a flight to Mars, without problems.

Paramedic-response records show about 100 Mission:Space riders have been treated for complaints ranging from nine people who passed out; 18 suffering from temporary paralysis; 31 for vomiting and 38 for severe dizziness.

About 3,000 Disney workers are trained in CPR, and there are about 500 automatic defibrillators stationed throughout Disney's Central Florida theme parks.

The child's parents, Agnes and Moses Bamuwamye of Sellersville, Pa., asked Disney last summer to raise the minimum height requirement to exclude more young children from the ride that spins passengers at 2 G's –twice the force of earth's gravity.

Disney declined the request to raise the admission bar from 44 to 51 inches, stating there was no indication that the ride contributed to the child's death. Daudi Bamuwamye stood 46 inches tall.

wdwishes2005

Jose Eber said:
:rolleyes:
Why does everyone cry foul about this? i have stated it before and i will state it again. In the past five years we have had- SGE, Soarin' and Philhar on the tame side of things. on the other we have TT, and MS. Thats a 3 to two ratio. yeah, Disney is just going crazy making rides that coaster and thrill ride enthuisists might like to ride.

Craig & Lisa

sleepybear said:

But they blamed them right away when it happened, and were ready to sue right away as well, and I'm sorry if what I said sounded cold, but think about what everybody else was saying and doing especially the media.

PirateJ

I would just like to put in my 2 cents...

I am relieved that it was finally proven that Disney was not the cause of this tragedy.

The media consistenly tries to attack Disney and find info they can to twist around Disney's reputation.

sleepybear

PirateJ said:
The media consistenly tries to attack Disney and find info they can to twist around Disney's reputation.

You know, you're right. As a member of the media, I spend my ten-hour days only thinking up of ways I can portray Disney in a terrible light. Everyone in the press does. It's not like there's a war, hurricanes, terrorism, tornadoes and impending bird flu pandemic to write about. We're all just actually gunning for Disney because they replaced AE with Stitch.

I admitted it. Is everyone happy?

shoppingnut

Craig & Lisa said:
But they blamed them right away when it happened, and were ready to sue right away as well, and I'm sorry if what I said sounded cold, but think about what everybody else was saying and doing especially the media.

I agree with you. People are very quick to hop on the lawsuit wagon, but when it comes to an apology it falls by the wayside. I do not think it is cold at all, it is a stark reality of the way things are these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom