Mission Space chopping block speculation? Do we trust this source?

JIMINYCR

No , MS will survive. It has no earmarks that Dis has used as excuses for shutting others down. It has no woke, racial or biased aspects to it… it is allowing all genders to be seen as astronaut capable, future relevant to space theming, gives an equal thrill to those who want extreme or tame experience, so there’s no forces in play for Dis to rethink it being in existence.

Brer Panther

If they WERE to get rid of Mission: Space (an attraction that I have no opinion on because I've never been on it), what would they even replace it with? It'd be great to have Horizons (which I never got to go on) come back, but I can't picture Iger and the other non-IP-based attraction haters running Disney doing that. What outer space-related IPs does Disney have they could replace it with? They wouldn't actually put a Star Wars attraction there since there's so much dedicated to it in Hollywood Studios... would they?

Guardians of the Galaxy already has a ride in EPCOT... Lightyear was a flop, so I doubt that would even be considered... WALL-E? Or is that IP just not considered popular enough at the moment?

I really hate the idea of them just shutting the ride down and leaving the building standing there empty like with Stitch's Great Escape. EPCOT needs more capacity as it.

WorldExplorer

If they WERE to get rid of Mission: Space (an attraction that I have no opinion on because I've never been on it), what would they even replace it with? It'd be great to have Horizons (which I never got to go on) come back, but I can't picture Iger and the other non-IP-based attraction haters running Disney doing that. What outer space-related IPs does Disney have they could replace it with? They wouldn't actually put a Star Wars attraction there since there's so much dedicated to it in Hollywood Studios... would they?

Guardians of the Galaxy already has a ride in EPCOT... Lightyear was a flop, so I doubt that would even be considered... WALL-E? Or is that IP just not considered popular enough at the moment?

I really hate the idea of them just shutting the ride down and leaving the building standing there empty like with Stitch's Great Escape. EPCOT needs more capacity as it.

Guardians is right beside it trying to masquerade as belonging by pulling the highly idiotic "character liked Epcot".

They could shove Mary Poppins' Tea Cup Adventure in there for all they care. People will defend it, too. Just put something about discovering new kinds of teas in the ad blurb.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It also lost its originality with other rides that do the same exact thing but better. Guardians right next door serves as a vastly superior space flight experience.
MS was designed as a being a proper space flight simulator, with its G-forces and realistic flight capsule being the main wow. Guardians is not remotely close to real space flight.

zipadee999

MS was designed as a being a proper space flight simulator, with its G-forces and realistic flight capsule being the main wow. Guardians is not remotely close to real space flight.
Correct, but it’s not the Disney type of wow. It’s more of the Smithsonian/Cape Canaveral type of wow.

esskay

Given the source is inside the magic we know its made up.

For OP and anyone else not 'in the known', Inside the Magic used to be a reputable site. It was then sold and taken over by someone who posts clickbait and outright lies. Do not believe a word of what that site tells you.

Sir_Cliff

I'm not overly attached to Mission: Space, but it's hard to imagine the Disney of 2023 coming up with a replacement that's more appropriate for EPCOT.
Yes, I feel the same way. I applaud the ambition of Mission: Space, but think the actual attraction was a bit of a dud in part due to execution and in part due to the fact it is too intense for too many guests. If Disney was more proactive in keeping their parks fresh and up-to-date, I could see them looking at this for replacement. As it is, I dread to think what they would come up with nowadays to replace it and it would be a weird way for them to spend their money considering there are so many other things at Epcot that need far more urgent attention.

At any rate, we're all talking in hypotheticals here as this doesn't seem to be something on their radar.

Disstevefan1

Didnt Iger just say they were going to move away from the replacement model and start adding new lands and capacity?
Laughing.png

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
No , MS will survive. It has no earmarks that Dis has used as excuses for shutting others down. It has no woke, racial or biased aspects to it… it is allowing all genders to be seen as astronaut capable, future relevant to space theming, gives an equal thrill to those who want extreme or tame experience, so there’s no forces in play for Dis to rethink it being in existence.
Imagine if Epcot moved forward with its Epcot Center resumed with its origional purpose? Young me driveled over that thought, now I’m thinking Epcot center had to die but you want to do away with racial, woke and biased aspects remove the IP and make the guest the hero of the story again.

Chef Mickey

The source doesn’t say that this is something that Disney is actually planning to do, but rather suggests that it is peripherally on their radar as an attraction that is not well liked and could be an option for removal. Personally I’d love to see it go. It’s unpleasant, outdated, and doesn’t have a draw. There’s no ‘wow’ moment that the other rides have. It feels like a tight, claustrophobic simulator that was built in 2003.

It also lost its originality with other rides that do the same exact thing but better. Guardians right next door serves as a vastly superior space flight experience. Smuggler’s run also takes the ‘drive your own spaceship’ idea and does it way better. I’d even argue that the realistic flight deck feel can be achieved right across the way at Soarin. Mission Space serves no purpose now other than to be the posterchild of the clickbait articles about ‘scary Disney rides.’

I do wonder if a new and updated version of Horizons could be an option to replace it down the line, seeing that Horizons has become more and more popular in recent years due to the internet. They replaced universe of energy with an intense thrill ride, and although I like guardians more than energy, it does leave World Discovery pretty lopsided, as Guardians, Space, and Test Track are all quite intense. I wonder if this is their sign to do a reverse-guardians, and replace an unpopular thrill ride with a modern family attraction.

A new Horizons could serve as the centerpiece of the ‘new’ Epcot, because the park, especially its new vision, lacks a thesis attraction. Epcot currently doesn’t have an attraction that represents what the whole park is about, old and new. What better way to do this than with a new and improved Horizons? A park about the future needs to have a way to see what the future could be like!

They could demo Mission Space and build from the ground up, or they could even gut Mission Space and use as much of the current building as possible, maybe with a slight expansion out of the back. What works perfectly is the space restaurant, as it takes you to the Centauri space station FROM horizons, so nothing at all would need to be changed!
Smugglers Run is far worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom