Mission Space chopping block speculation? Do we trust this source?

montyz81

The source doesn’t say that this is something that Disney is actually planning to do, but rather suggests that it is peripherally on their radar as an attraction that is not well liked and could be an option for removal. Personally I’d love to see it go. It’s unpleasant, outdated, and doesn’t have a draw. There’s no ‘wow’ moment that the other rides have. It feels like a tight, claustrophobic simulator that was built in 2003.

It also lost its originality with other rides that do the same exact thing but better. Guardians right next door serves as a vastly superior space flight experience. Smuggler’s run also takes the ‘drive your own spaceship’ idea and does it way better. I’d even argue that the realistic flight deck feel can be achieved right across the way at Soarin. Mission Space serves no purpose now other than to be the posterchild of the clickbait articles about ‘scary Disney rides.’

I do wonder if a new and updated version of Horizons could be an option to replace it down the line, seeing that Horizons has become more and more popular in recent years due to the internet. They replaced universe of energy with an intense thrill ride, and although I like guardians more than energy, it does leave World Discovery pretty lopsided, as Guardians, Space, and Test Track are all quite intense. I wonder if this is their sign to do a reverse-guardians, and replace an unpopular thrill ride with a modern family attraction.

A new Horizons could serve as the centerpiece of the ‘new’ Epcot, because the park, especially its new vision, lacks a thesis attraction. Epcot currently doesn’t have an attraction that represents what the whole park is about, old and new. What better way to do this than with a new and improved Horizons? A park about the future needs to have a way to see what the future could be like!

They could demo Mission Space and build from the ground up, or they could even gut Mission Space and use as much of the current building as possible, maybe with a slight expansion out of the back. What works perfectly is the space restaurant, as it takes you to the Centauri space station FROM horizons, so nothing at all would need to be changed!
I’m sorry, but Energy was light years ahead of GotG from a ride technology advancement perspective. Guardians has no business being in Future World let alone Epcot. The ride does not Plus anything nor make one dream of the future. All it does is serve to confuse the purpose of the entire park.

No Name

If they're not going to tear out Imagination and replace it, why would they touch this? That being said, I can certainly see them closing it or turning into a seasonal attraction. I have to imagine that the attendance it receives doesn't really justify the operating costs. While the same might be said for Imagination as well, at least that ride is much more accessible for all demographics.
There’s routinely a 20-30 minute wait for Mission Space (which they’ve put money into recently), whereas imagination often runs empty vehicles. I can’t see them changing this first.

I’m sorry, but Energy was light years ahead of GotG from a ride technology advancement perspective. Guardians has no business being in Future World let alone Epcot. The ride does not Plus anything nor make one dream of the future. All it does is serve to confuse the purpose of the entire park.
The energy ride certainly wasn’t doing the park any favors.

Big T 1963

Can anyone say that this is one of your top 5 attractions you circle when you go to Epcot ???? Of all the times I've been to Epcot here are my top 5 : 5) Soarin 4) Test Track 3) The Seas with Nemo and Friends 2)The Land 1) Spaceship Earth I didn't put Guardians as I haven't had a chance to expierence it yet however it would probably replace Spaceship earth

The Lochness Monsta

God I hope it's true.

I have no idea why they made something so boring and vomit inducing. I can understand that they wanted to make a space thing because of Kennedy Space Center. But why this??? Yucky Ducky!

FutureCEO

Obligatory I love Mission Space post, because no one else will 😔

I don't mind Mission Space but the Green version is good not amazing and the day is coming soon when I can't do the Orange side anymore.

1) Two problems with the "new Disney." Not everyone can ride. Great example is basically every ride in Hollywood Studios.

2. Disney needs people eaters like Spaceship Earth.

Disstevefan1

I don't mind Mission Space but the Green version is good not amazing and the day is coming soon when I can't do the Orange side anymore.

1) Two problems with the "new Disney." Not everyone can ride. Great example is basically every ride in Hollywood Studios.

2. Disney needs people eaters like Spaceship Earth.
Guardians is very cool, and I am looking forward to riding it, but the rest of my family already will not ride it.
As much as I hate re skins, I said from the start Ellen's Energy should have been re skinned, keeping the very cool ride system that was a true people eater that everyone could ride AND would have cost much less that Guardians.

In my opinion, Mission space should stay, and my dream is they put a "Horizons type" of dark ride in what we now call the Play pavilion.

zipadee999

Guardians is very cool, and I am looking forward to riding it, but the rest of my family already will not ride it.
As much as I hate re skins, I said from the start Ellen's Energy should have been re skinned, keeping the very cool ride system that was a true people eater that everyone could ride AND would have cost much less that Guardians.

In my opinion, Mission space should stay, and my dream is they put a "Horizons type" of dark ride in what we now call the Play pavilion.
I like that idea. They have mission space and guardians in that corner already, so it would be cool if they could replace WOL with something else space themed to create a little space-themed corner of the park. A horizons style dark ride would definitely fit the bill, especially if it took a greater focus on life in space as well as the history of space travel or something.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I agree, but to them it’s a different story that’s why I wouldn’t be surprised, although I wish Horizons was never torn down there’s no reason I still think Mission should have still been built not as a replacement but as an addition. I also believe that Horizons should have stayed and Mission Space should have replaced Universe if one had to go not to mention they could have used the same building.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don't see M:S going anywhere anytime soon. Especially since they added on a restaurant.

A re-theme? Possibly... With the current state of Disney creativity, it'll probably be something like Buzz Lightyear or something else that wouldn't make sense here...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Correct, but it’s not the Disney type of wow. It’s more of the Smithsonian/Cape Canaveral type of wow.
To be fair... The Smithsonian type of wow at Epcot was still relevant when M:S opened up.... Along with things like Soarin' and Test Track..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom