Missing out on the Animal Kingdom.

Chase24

Good Afternoon All,

My Family will be traveling to WDW in Nov. and we have one 3 yr old. We are staying on site for 6 days. In the interest of not over-doing our visit, would we really miss out by not seeing the AK? The other 3 parks are a must and my wife wants to see Downtown Disney and Typhoon Lagoon.

Thanks in Advance,

AB

Lauriebar

Just split a day between AK and DD!! AK is definately worth seeing...it is a beautiful park. It can definately be done in half a day!! DD is also great but it won't take all day to see it( even if you shop til you drop!!)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Lauriebar said:
Just split a day between AK and DD!! AK is definately worth seeing...it is a beautiful park. It can definately be done in half a day!! DD is also great but it won't take all day to see it( even if you shop til you drop!!)
Excellent Suggestion Lauriebar!!!!!! I too agree that Animal Kingdom is a beautiful park. It is not quite the same as MK or EPCOT but it wasnt designed to be!!!!!! I also never miss Tarzan Rocks when I go there!! Probably my favorite show to see there!!!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

Don't miss The Festival of the Lion King - the best Disney stage show ever. Also for the 3 year old is Affection Section (a petting yard) at Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I used to feel that the AK could be missed, but not anymore. We have gone from spending only afew hours there to almost the entire day. Everytime we go we discover something new. Take a few hours and give it a try. :wave:

Upvote 0

barnum42

Methinks everyone who knows me on the boards will be aware in advance of what I would suggest:D

Go to Animal Kingdom! OK, I'm biased as it's my favourite of the parks :D Take you time, enjoy the change of pace, the shows, the animals, the best counter food in the parks and whilst it does not have a huge number of physical rides the Safari and Dinosaur are must sees.

Upvote 0

shari71

I am not crazy about the park, but I usually plan a 1/2 to 2/3 day there with a nap at the hotel afterwards and then shopping at DTD.

We only really go to AK for the children since they love it so much. There is a lot of walking and we usually go on the hottest day so I am pretty miserable at the end. To be fair though, it really is a beautiful park, just not my cup of tea.

Food and Wine Festival starts tomorrow at EPCOT so I planned more evenings there into our schedule!

Upvote 0

kal1484

Here's a GREAT plan for you guys:

Get up in the morning, and go to whatever park you choose, mid-day head back to the hotel for a little rest, or swimming. This will definatly help the little one not over do it. Then that night, you can either do the same park, and finish it up, or you could go to a different one.

As for AK, it's a definate! The things I would suggest for you guys would be the Festival of the Lion King show, the Kilimangaro safari, and unless she/he likes dinosaurs and isn't scared of them, Dinosaur is also fun. However, if they do not like bugs, or get scared easily, beware of It's touch to be a bug. I don't likethings comming out of me, so I opt out of that ride.

Just listen to your son/daughter, and she/he will tell you when and where and how far they can go. :) Have an awesome trip! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Sharon L

I don't think you should miss Animal Kingdom. My son was 3 when we first went, and he loved it. Since you are staying on-site, why don't you try to hit it on one of it's early entry days (Monday or Friday). You would be able to see most of the park by 1 or 2 pm, which would leave time for a rest at your hotel and then you could go to Downtown Disney in the late afternoon.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I think AK rates as one of the best parks for children - I would definitely plan on spending at least a half day there. You never know - all three of you might enjoy it more than you expect!

Now, don't get me wrong - EPCOT is my favorite park, but your three-year-old might find it less than fascinating. For that reason, I would spend a day at EPCOT before you even set foot in the MK. Once you've been to the MK, you may have a hard time getting your little one out of it!

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

DigitalDisney

I'm with everybody above. Hit AK early in the morning, then go to DD or to your hotel for a nap/swim then go to DD.

If you've never been there, you really need to check it out. Kids love the animals, and everybody loves the safari. The other rides and shows may be hit or miss, but the safari is a must see. The two main animal trails are also worth checking out (especially the one in Asia).

If you were only going to be at WDW for a long weekend, then I'd suggest not going to AK, but since you're going to be there for 6 days, then AK should definately be added to your itenerary.

Upvote 0

doop

Lauriebar said:
That sounds like a good idea, unless you're a shop-a-holic.

Upvote 0

Nicole

My 4 year old loves AK! Downtown Disney is not like a theme park in that you'd want a whole day there, IMO. And I'm curious about your putting Typhoon Lagoon on your "must see" list. I don't think it would be as fun with a 3 year old along for the visit. We're saving the water parks for a few years because our daughter is so young still. If anything you probably will be fine with just a few hours at TL. (Of course I could be totally wrong).

But I would most definitely try to fit AK into your plans. We have never been able to finish AK in a single day - I'm not sure how other people manage it.

Upvote 0

stitchlvr

My first reaction to AK was that it was just a glorified zoo. But I was wrong. There is so much more to it, and I would definately agree with the others, find a way to spend even half a day there. Its worth it. Festival of the Lion King and the safari ride are MUST SEEs!

Upvote 0

It seems like we keep spending less and less time at Animal Kingdom each time we go. Until last year, we spent alot of time in Animal Kingdom. But last year we only spent a couple days there. This trip? Out of 8 days spent in the parks we only spent about 4 or 5 hours in Animal Kingdom spread out over two days, and that includes time spent eating at Donald's Breakfastosaurus character breakfast and half an hour in line for Kali Rapids. In that short amount of time, we saw everything we needed to see in Animal Kingdom. Last year we only spent half a day in Epcot and all year long since we got back I felt like there were things I missed and didn't get to do. I'm not feeling that way about this trip and Animal Kingdom though. You don't need to spend alot of time in Animal Kingdom to get the experience you need, but you should try to fit it in if possible. It's worth the trip!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

stitchlvr said:
My first reaction to AK was that it was just a glorified zoo. But I was wrong. There is so much more to it, and I would definately agree with the others, find a way to spend even half a day there. Its worth it. Festival of the Lion King and the safari ride are MUST SEEs!
NAHTAZU!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

bhg469

personally i think AK has more to offer than MGM, if i want to animal kingdom and spent whatever it costs to do 1 day there i would be satisfied if i spent the same amount of money to go ot mgm i would feel ripped off. id say go to AK for most of the day and do DD after the park closes.

Upvote 0

Chase24

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses. :wave: It looks like we should at least try to start 1 day in the AK park and work to Downtown Disney later in the Day. We are fortunate to live close enough to Zoo's in Pittsburgh, PA and Columbus, OH to leave me wanting to avoid another zoo on this vacation, and I have been thinking of AK like a big Zoo to be honest, but it sounds like there is much to it than that. As for the question of Typhoon Lagoon on the list of to do, we enjoy water parks as vacation perks, maybe the theme pool at the Caribbean Beach will do, but we want to make sure of this time.

AB

Upvote 0

BigAL

For a first time visitor I think Animal Kingdom is more than a one day park. To see everything, (including shows) it would be tough to to do it all in one day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom