Miserable CMs?! - My Experiences

DisneyDoctor

There's also no excuse for someone to berate a CM just because they asked to put a camera or phone away, regardless of how much money they spent.

I've noticed that some of these interactions are always presented from the guest POV and not the CM. Half of these stories could very easily be fabricated to make some of the stories seem true.
Fair point about the perspective.

DisneyDoctor

So if these bad CMs all have managers....are the managers bad too, since they allow this slacking? And if the managers are bad, then their bosses are bad and we can follow this chain right to the top. Why does Disney allow this? Like you said it's their job. Oh because maybe the pay is so low that nobody else will do it. I worked for a disney owned property when I was young and it was awful. They took a lot but did not give much. Disney has a lot more competition for employees now too, maybe the better ones are headed where they are treated better too.
All speculation but fair points nonetheless.

DisneyDoctor

If you truly are a medical student, I can’t wait until you reach residency dealing with some patients. Especially after an 80 hour week and your last patient curses at you because you won’t change the order from Morphine 2mg IV push PRN q6h, to Morphine 4mg IV PRN q4h.

Even while maintaining the most professional attutide one can become short with “paying guests/patients/clients” from time to time. We are all human. Treat those how you wish to be treated. People act like CM’s are never allowed to show emotion, frankly its annoying.
I can guarantee you I won’t treat the patient poorly. That’s a horrible example. I would lose my position if I berated a patient.

To your second paragraph, I explicitly said we should all treat each other fairly and not be jerks. I’m not arguing against you there. All I’m saying is that if your job is to provide excellent customer service then you should provide excellent customer service, no questions.

Networth

I can guarantee you I won’t treat the patient poorly. That’s a horrible example. I would lose my position if I berated a patient.

To your second paragraph, I explicitly said we should all treat each other fairly and not be jerks. I’m not arguing against you there. All I’m saying is that if your job is to provide excellent customer service then you should provide excellent customer service, no questions.

You are completely right, if you berate the patient your attending should give you “continuing education”, and justly so. If you never become short with a patient over the course of your entire career, than you are better than 95% of the providers I have ever met.

CM’s are people performing their duties to the best of their abilities (for the most part). When guests complain and about one or two CM interactions that they viewed as negative it bothers me. CM’s are just people with superiors, spouses, children, bills, health concerns, economic worries; they are not fairies. Unless a CM throws a bottle or cures at you etc, cut them some slack everyonce in awhile.

Side note: Good luck with your studies, we sure as heck need you - no sarcasm.

Shouldigo12

All I’m saying is that if your job is to provide excellent customer service then you should provide excellent customer service, no questions.
I don't really agree with this. If someone is yelling, berating, name calling, etc, then I definitely do not expect the employee or anyone else to give them great customer service. Acting like a child should never be rewarded with getting what you want and possibly more.

andysol

You are completely right, if you berate the patient your attending should give you “continuing education”, and justly so. If you never become short with a patient over the course of your entire career, than you are better than 95% of the providers I have ever met.

19 out of every 20 medical providers you encountered berated you or other patients poorly that you observed?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you are severely exaggerating your position.

Shouldigo12

19 out of every 20 medical providers you encountered berated you or other patients poorly that you observed?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you are severely exaggerating your position.
I think their point was more that most doctors, at some point, will get visibly upset with a patient and that it's unreasonable to expect a doctor to be all sugar and honey with all patients all the time.

Networth

@andysol

I believe you are not interrupting the statement correctly. Yes, at one time or another most providers I have worked with (myself included) have lost their patients with a client. That does not mean being out right nasty; it means they may they have cut the visit short or been notably annoyed etc. No one is perfect, even your provider. We have worries just like everyone else, and some days we are not 100% unfortunately. To expected any professional to always be 100% is irrational.

DisneyDoctor

CM’s are people performing their duties to the best of their abilities (for the most part). When guests complain and about one or two CM interactions that they viewed as negative it bothers me. CM’s are just people with superiors, spouses, children, bills, health concerns, economic worries; they are not fairies. Unless a CM throws a bottle or cures at you etc, cut them some slack everyonce in awhile.

Side note: Good luck with your studies, we sure as heck need you - no sarcasm.
Ya know, I can get behind that statement about CMs. I bet they put up with much more than the average customer service rep. Some slack is necessary.

Thank you for the kind words!

DisneyDoctor

I don't really agree with this. If someone is yelling, berating, name calling, etc, then I definitely do not expect the employee or anyone else to give them great customer service. Acting like a child should never be rewarded with getting what you want and possibly more.
I think we have different ideas on customer service. What I’m trying to say is CMs, or any customer service rep, shouldn’t stoop to the level of the customer. Of course we shouldn’t reward bad behavior. But, we also shouldn’t match bad behavior with an equal amount of negativity.

Goofyernmost

We really, really should not be comparing a theme park experience to health care. The two experiences could not be further apart or different.
Also, the financial rewards of a provider in the medical profession are much bigger incentives to smiling then a lowly CM.

Respect should be insisted upon by every individual that is doing their job to the best of their knowledge and ability. Who aren't being "rude" or otherwise until they are being attacked by jerks. NO ONE, should have to be subjected to abuse just because someone is a customer or for that matter any other reason. But, the entitled world we live in demands perfection in everyone other then ourselves. It is a sick commentary on today's society, but, it is increasingly true.

Shouldigo12

I think we have different ideas on customer service. What I’m trying to say is CMs, or any customer service rep, shouldn’t stoop to the level of the customer. Of course we shouldn’t reward bad behavior. But, we also shouldn’t match bad behavior with an equal amount of negativity.
I suppose that depends on what behaviors you consider stooping to the level of the customer. Yelling? Unacceptable? Annoyed tone or frowning? Understandable. Showing emotion during a tense confrontation isn't a problem to me, but I agree that if a CM or any customer service rep starts insulting a customer they're just escalating the situation.

Disneydreamer23

I've seen amazing cast members , and sub par ones, I only came across a rude one once getting on peter pan . It was my honey moon and I was 21 years old. I had been to Disney once as an adult before besides that a few times as a young child. I didn't bring enough clothes and ended up buying 2 shirts from Universal the day before. was not aware that you shouldn't wear the opposite park merchandise . The cast member looked at me and said "that shirt is not allowed in this park are you stupid." I was taken back but every one has a bad day and I was on my honey moon that wasn't going to ruin my trip, but let me tell you ... I never wore a Universal shirt at Disney againand this was in 2011!

Goofyernmost

I've seen amazing cast members , and sub par ones, I only came across a rude one once getting on peter pan . It was my honey moon and I was 21 years old. I had been to Disney once as an adult before besides that a few times as a young child. I didn't bring enough clothes and ended up buying 2 shirts from Universal the day before. was not aware that you shouldn't wear the opposite park merchandise . The cast member looked at me and said "that shirt is not allowed in this park are you stupid." I was taken back but every one has a bad day and I was on my honey moon that wasn't going to ruin my trip, but let me tell you ... I never wore a Universal shirt at Disney againand this was in 2011!
I know you aren't going to believe this, but, that was neither a demand, insult or put down. That was an attempt at humor. Sometimes humor works, sometimes it doesn't. It is to bad that it struck you that way, but, honestly, I have done this type of back and forth banter for years. No CM's are going to be upset if you wear a Uni shirt to the park and no TM is going to be upset if you wear a Disney shirt to their park. I know you were not aware of that, but, after all that time you should let yourself off the hook and have a smile about it. They were just joking with you. If the "are you stupid" was actually said, then that was an unfortunate choice of words, but, not everyone can tell jokes either. I've been going to the parks for 35 years and this has been a situation since at least the eighties. Back then it was more Sea World, Gatorland, Old Town and Cyprus Gardens t's that were the focus. CM's don't get a commission for pushing Disney T-shirts and it is not anything even upper management at Disney cares about. That would be childish on their part.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I didn't bring enough clothes and ended up buying 2 shirts from Universal the day before. was not aware that you shouldn't wear the opposite park merchandise . The cast member looked at me and said "that shirt is not allowed in this park are you stupid." I was taken back but every one has a bad day and I was on my honey moon that wasn't going to ruin my trip, but let me tell you ... I never wore a Universal shirt at Disney again and this was in 2011!
:eek:
CMs should know better than to call guests "stupid" to their faces even if they deserve that label.

You were wise beyond your years to not let that bother you.

Club Cooloholic

Btw. To the OP and people observing this bad service, not sure what you did, but ask for a manager or take the person's name down and get in contact with guest services. That is the only way changes get made

donsullivan

Premium Member
:eek:
CMs should know better than to call guests "stupid" to their faces even if they deserve that label.

You were wise beyond your years to not let that bother you.

Are we absolutely sure the CM used those precise words? Or was an (obviously failed in this case) attempt at a joke interpreted as having used the words? Far too often people hear what they wanted to hear and not precisely what was actually said. I believe there was an attempt to make a joke about wearing a Universal T-Shirt at Disney, I've had it happen to me. I'm not convinced the CM used the word 'stupid' toward the guest.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Are we absolutely sure the CM used those precise words? Or was an (obviously failed in this case) attempt at a joke interpreted as having used the words? Far too often people hear what they wanted to hear and not precisely what was actually said. I believe there was an attempt to make a joke about wearing a Universal T-Shirt at Disney, I've had it happen to me. I'm not convinced the CM used the word 'stupid' toward the guest.

That falls in line in questioning whether or not something actually happened. Not bashing the person who claimed this, but that CM isnt here to defend themselves and if I were a betting man, I'd probably say they don't even remember saying that let alone remembering what the guest wore.

DisneyDoctor

I suppose that depends on what behaviors you consider stooping to the level of the customer. Yelling? Unacceptable? Annoyed tone or frowning? Understandable. Showing emotion during a tense confrontation isn't a problem to me, but I agree that if a CM or any customer service rep starts insulting a customer they're just escalating the situation.
Yes yelling seems inappropriate to me. A small frown, I suppose I’ll let it slide 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom