Miserable CMs?! - My Experiences

MileZXO

Original Poster
So, this is my third trip and I'm half way in.. first thing ive realised is that there are way more unhappy and miserable cast members than I've ever witnessed before.

My main experience was at the entrance of Epcot, i forgot to take off my badge going through the metal detector.. but I had remembered to empty my pockets take off my pin lanyard etc and was just an easy mistake to make especially when I'm a bit of a faffer.

The cast member walked over pointing and raising her voice at me "what are you doing? You gotta take it off. It's not hard!"

While I understand it must be frustrating for CMs to have to repeat themselves, this holiday has cost me a ton of money and I dont expect to be shouted at for a silly mistake!

Most of my experiences with miserable CMs is when I strike up conversations at the tills. Some of them look at me in confusion..

BUT the majority are lovely people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome.. It's just a few make lasting bad impressions.

Has anyone else noticed this?

MickeyMinnieMom

Not our experience at all. We were there for 12 days in mid-August and only saw ONE CM the entire time who looked a little grumpy. She was loading people onto Peter Pan during EMM. Didn't make eye contact, no smile, just seemed bummed. That's it.

And that's pretty consistent with my 20+ trips over 13+ years.

John park hopper

Can't say I have ever encountered a rude or grumpy CM, may be I have been lucky. Last visit I had my Vietnam vet hat on went to buy a coke at one of the stands CM said no charge thanks for your service. IMO they do an amazing job considering having to deal with the public and all their varied issues and the Florida heat. No CM complaints here

Goofyernmost

The only time I have ever witnessed a CM raising their voice to anyone has been when that person just ignored them and continued to do whatever they wanted. In the parking area I have seen it more then once where timing is everything. Any of us that have driven there and use the parking lots, know that occasionally our timing is off and we get to drive all the way to the end of the row and have to walk all the way back. It's really just the luck of the draw, however, many decide that they don't want to walk all the way back and pull in to park closer to the tram stop.

I've seen CM's have to repeatedly ask that they continue down the line only to be greeted to the single finger salute. They then raise their voice and call security. The other popular place to ignore CM's is just before a parade, when they are trying to keep people off the street so the parade can safely pass through. Some of the time that the CM's get authoritarian are for the safety of the guests. But, obnoxiousness rears it's ugly head and the CM gets blamed for shouting at them. There is also a lot of people that get upset when they are even asked and hear a suggestion as yelling. And then exaggerate what was said to them. In 35 years I have never had a CM do anything even close to a direct verbal assault to me.

There was a time, shortly after Harry Potter opened in Universal the CM's truly seemed like they were just going through the motions. They stood in groups, talking among themselves, never making eye contact for fear of having to acknowledge your presence, but, that was doing whatever they could to not have to say anything at all to you. During that same time the TM's at Uni were helpful and anxious to help to the extreme. Coincidence... I think not.

LUVofDIS

I can only remember one unhappy CM. and as far as I am concerned, she had every reason. The quick story, PotC had just broke down and people started to leave and get FP's, than people who had not been waiting wanted FP's, this one CM was surrounded by a large group of guests and she broke down and started to yell. These guest's where jerks and should have been thrown out. They were obviously trying to take advantage of the situation.

Chef Mickey

Was just there for 10 days at the end of August.

My experience was that the CMs were FANTASTIC! Really, never better.

I think you’re letting a couple experiences cloud your judgement. It’s a tough job in general and doesn’t pay great. I’ve found the cast is even better when you’re respectful.

Not saying you were, but if you’re a jerk tourist and just walk up to one and say “WHERE IS THE HAUNTED HOUSE?” You may not get the best experience.

DisneyJoe

Not our experience at all. We were there for 12 days in mid-August and only saw ONE CM the entire time who looked a little grumpy. She was loading people onto Peter Pan during EMM. Didn't make eye contact, no smile, just seemed bummed. That's it.

And that's pretty consistent with my 20+ trips over 13+ years.
Same experience this previous trip - mid-August this year, all park CMs were awesome, had 1 CM at WL in Bell Services that seemed a little grumpy when retrieving something from the luggage room. Others more than made up for it.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Was just there for 10 days at the end of August.

My experience was that the CMs were FANTASTIC! Really, never better.

I think you’re letting a couple experiences cloud your judgement. It’s a tough job in general and doesn’t pay great. I’ve found the cast is even better when you’re respectful.

Not saying you were, but if you’re a jerk tourist and just walk up to one and say “WHERE IS THE HAUNTED HOUSE?” You may not get the best experience.

Checks in the mail - Bob Iger 😂

Hcalvert

At MK, my son was once lectured by a security guard for not making eye contact with him while he was checking his bag and talking to him. Being behind him and seeing that he was getting distressed, I sent my son to my husband, who was standing by the entrance to the boats, and explained to the guard that he was Autistic and gets anxious in social situations. The man had the grace to apologize (without much eye contact), but it still left me steamed. As I was describing what happened to my husband, I saw that the guard was replaced as the head security guard must have overheard, or at least heard about it, and I think he got a stern talking to. A CM approached us after we went through the ticket/MB scanners and offered us a complimentary FP. I told her no thank you and that all we wanted was sensitivity training for the security guard to understand various disabilities to prevent this from happening again.

*I would like to add that by no means did I hold Disney responsible for this and the experience was definitely an outlier as the majority of CMs are very accommodating and respectful toward patrons.

Last edited:

HwdStudio

So, this is my third trip and I'm half way in.. first thing ive realised is that there are way more unhappy and miserable cast members than I've ever witnessed before.

My main experience was at the entrance of Epcot, i forgot to take off my badge going through the metal detector.. but I had remembered to empty my pockets take off my pin lanyard etc and was just an easy mistake to make especially when I'm a bit of a faffer.

The cast member walked over pointing and raising her voice at me "what are you doing? You gotta take it off. It's not hard!"

While I understand it must be frustrating for CMs to have to repeat themselves, this holiday has cost me a ton of money and I dont expect to be shouted at for a silly mistake!

Most of my experiences with miserable CMs is when I strike up conversations at the tills. Some of them look at me in confusion..

BUT the majority are lovely people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome.. It's just a few make lasting bad impressions.

Has anyone else noticed this?
So you took time out of your trip to open a thread about rude cast members? What exactly do you think this thread will accomplish. If you feel the need to complain then you should go to guest services. Complaining on this forum will do nothing but prove that you are in the minority. Maybe it’s you and not the cast members? Not saying it is but could be something to think about.

aladdin2007

My only gripe with CMs is at HM and ToT. I've seen a real lack of playing the part of creepy hosts and hostesses, and it's been a bit disappointing.

lately I thought they had been doing pretty well at HM, the last couple months anyway, ToT not sure. Aside from those, across property it seems hit and miss. I encounter fantastic cast all the time but there are always some who are less than friendly, dont want to be there, or whatever else is going on.

DisneyDoctor

lately I thought they had been doing pretty well at HM, the last couple months anyway, ToT not sure. Aside from those, across property it seems hit and miss. I encounter fantastic cast all the time but there are always some who are less than friendly, dont want to be there, or whatever else is going on.
I agree, it really depends on who is working. I can think back to one particular moment whilst on HM. The CMs were visually annoyed and lost all ounce on character directing traffic. It made my 8-year-old self a bit sad..

MileZXO

Original Poster
So you took time out of your trip to open a thread about rude cast members? What exactly do you think this thread will accomplish. If you feel the need to complain then you should go to guest services. Complaining on this forum will do nothing but prove that you are in the minority. Maybe it’s you and not the cast members? Not saying it is but could be something to think about.

I'm sharing an experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

wagner1225

Over the years we have had Great experiences with CM'S, we are talking 40+ years so that is a lot, so I take the bad ones and there were a few, the good out does the bad, I have noticed the last few years more bad are slipping thru, but that seem to be the new norm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom