Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Similar to the DLR thread, I'll start with some things I've been thinking about while planning my trip to TDR (hard to believe I'll be there in about 2 weeks!).

- While some lament the "dated" aspects of TDL, I really appreciate all the things that have not been removed or changed like at the American Magic Kingdoms, such as Club 33 and the spires at the entrance to Tomorrowland. That said, I don't mind the Speedway leaving for BatB.

- The 5 attractions I still wish were at TDL are: the Castle Mystery Tour, Mickey Mouse Revue, Star Jets, Meet the World and the Skyway (even if the ride only lasted 2.5 minutes). Yes, I am the kind of person who likes AA history shows over something like Monsters, Inc. I know I'm very much alone here. They could have at least moved Star Jets further North towards the center of Tomorrowland

- Toontown is significantly better than DLR, if only because it's not literally rotting away. Did the Jolly Trolley ever work in Japan?

- Was winter the main reason why Submarine Voyage/20,000 Leagues wasn't duplicated for Tokyo? I'm guessing the reason Mr. Toad never came was that Pinocchio was already in development for DLR and they wanted the then new ride (based on a more famous character) in their Fantasyland.

PiratesMansion

I would love to know more about the thought process behind the Tokyo version of Snow White, and how/why the decision was made to hybridize the original Florida version of the ride with the updated Disneyland version that debuted with New Fantasyland.

Meet the World gets a lot of press as a unique TDL attraction, but there was another unique (albeit very shortlived) Tomorrowland attraction-Eternal Seas! I believe this was a film about the relationship between the sea and Japan (unintentional DisneySea foreshadowing?), but it only lasted a few years. Perhaps it originally played in what would become their version of the Magic Eye theater? But certainly it has GOT to be the most obscure Disney attraction ever! It certainly flies in the face of one of the most common TDL edicts, that everything had to be a copy.

@Animaniac93-98, I got to ride the Star Jets! I had no interest, but my friend really wanted to go on them for some reason, and the wait was short, far shorter than almost anything else on the opening weekend of their Halloween event. I had read from a blog that the Japanese rockets were wider than the American rockets and seated guests side by side, because the Japanese were uncomfortable with tandem seating. Turns out that person either didn't actually go on the ride or misremembered, because the rockets were the same shape as the ones in the US!

Getting up to the platform, we were assigned a rocket by the cast member (with a number you held directing you to a rocket, to be collected by the cast member later on) and tried to get ourselves situated in the tiny rocket we had to share. This started off a comedy of errors, as we could only find one seatbelt! My friend was tiny, but I was (am) a bigger guy, and we were apoplectic about trying to get this belt around both of us! I remember we pulled, tugged, and contorted ourselves to make it work. We just barely managed it, and we were proud of ourselves but super uncomfortable. Just then, the cast member came by to check our seatbelt and, giggling, pointed out a second seatbelt that we had missed! Turns out we each had our own belt the whole time! We laughed, embarrassed, and finally got strapped in properly. We spent the entire ride convinced that the force of our American weight was going to cause the ride to break and us to plummet to our deaths, haha! I can't say it was a great ride, but it was definitely one of the most memorable experiences of the day!

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Meet the World gets a lot of press as a unique TDL attraction, but there was another unique (albeit very shortlived) Tomorrowland attraction-Eternal Seas! I believe this was a film about the relationship between the sea and Japan (unintentional DisneySea foreshadowing?), but it only lasted a few years. Perhaps it originally played in what would become their version of the Magic Eye theater? But certainly it has GOT to be the most obscure Disney attraction ever! It certainly flies in the face of one of the most common TDL edicts, that everything had to be a copy.

Here's what D23 says about it:

"Eternal Sea, The 200-degree film attraction in Tomorrowland at Tokyo Disneyland, from April 15, 1983, to September 16, 1984. Superseded by Magic Journeys and then Captain EO."

So not even an 18-month run! But you're right about the location. Here's the attraction poster:

And a still, I couldn't find a video on YouTube of it:

PiratesMansion

That attraction poster is stunning! Such an atypical style for Disney too.

-I wonder if the subs weren't duplicated even then because of how intensive the attraction was to maintain and operate, especially in relation to the space required and the relatively low capacity. More curious to me was the omission of the Peoplemover- a relatively simple high capacity attraction that might have been beneficial for the capacity crowds the park certainly received.

-What on earth caused OLC to choose the lackluster WDW Speedway over the more nicely landscaped Autopia?

-One figure I'd like to learn more about is Frank Stanek. He's credited by Marty Sklar in his book "One Little Spark" as one of the most instrumental in bringing about TDL, but so little has been publicized (to my knowledge) about his role in the company. He did pop up on the Season Pass Podcast for a few excellent episodes that made me wish we had more information on him and developing the park.

-On a related note, it'll probably never happen for a variety of reasons, but I wish we had more information about the development of TDR. I was so excited about the Overseas Disney Parks book that came out recently, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
More curious to me was the omission of the Peoplemover- a relatively simple high capacity attraction that might have been beneficial for the capacity crowds the park certainly received.

What's odd is they copied much of WDW's Tomorrowland, which was designed to be tall enough to have the PeopleMover, but not the actual ride. So TDL had a raised Star Jets and these extra tall building's flanking the land's main street for no reason.

WDW:

Tokyo

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I just remembered TDL now was TWO Stitch attractions, and one is just an OK video screen experience that's been at Disney Studios Paris for many years. Pretty lame replacement for a 200-degree movie or 3D theatre attraction.

PiratesMansion

I just remembered TDL now was TWO Stitch attractions, and one is just an OK video screen experience that's been at Disney Studios Paris for many years. Pretty lame replacement for a 200-degree movie or 3D theatre attraction.

It was also at Hong Kong Disneyland for a time, at a location that is now a meet and greet.

Does the Stitch Encounter represent that even OLC is succumbing to cheapness or the fact that no one in WDI has any idea what to do with the former 3D theaters at this point?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Does the Stitch Encounter represent that even OLC is succumbing to cheapness or the fact that no one in WDI has any idea what to do with the former 3D theaters at this point?

Both? IMO, Fairytale Hall and PhilharMagic were underwhelming replacements for once occupied those spaces, and copying PhilharMagic without any kind of changes/improvements was definitely cheap.

It's sad to think that Disney has given up on 4D shows, with 4 of their resorts (WDW, DLR, DLP and TDR) barely utilizing those theatres.

It's the perfect opportunity to bring new life to a character like Figment and make him more of an international Disney mascot.

fradz

Similar to the DLR thread, I'll start with some things I've been thinking about while planning my trip to TDR (hard to believe I'll be there in about 2 weeks!).
Wishing you the best time ever there! :)
I'm sure you already have figured it out for the most part, feel free to ask anyway. Enjoy your time there, and definitely stay until they are emptying the park for closure!
I will always remember how I felt when I finally left TDS on my last day in the resort, with the park being absolutely empty except for some employees. I just couldn't leave that splendid view.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Is there no retro Tokyo Disneyland resource? Just tried looking up the Four Corners Food Fair on Google and came up with nothing.

It was the restaurant next to Small World that Pooh's Hunny Hunt replaced.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I would love to know more about the thought process behind the Tokyo version of Snow White, and how/why the decision was made to hybridize the original Florida version of the ride with the updated Disneyland version that debuted with New Fantasyland.

I decided to re-watch some of Widen Your World's videos on the old WDW Snow White to see how many changes were made.

The load area is an exact copy, both in layout and design. I hope they never change it as it's a great document of old WED design.

First room appears to be the same. They both had the real mirror before you see the Queen transform. Maybe some minor painting differences.

Dungeon has same track layout, but the skeletons and their poses are from California. I guess they still say "go back" (in Japanese), but we don't have the rubber spider from Haunted Mansion sliding down to one of the victims. Paris topped this scene by having one of the skeleton's swing towards your car (fabulous!).

Lab scene has Witch at cauldron in the same spot, but again it's more like California. The painted shadow is gone, and the raven is behind her, instead of on the turn before hand on a different shelf. No crashing/breaking of potion bottles as you leave.

Forest looks to be the same layout. Has Witch slide out in the same spot (same cackle!) and similar designs to the trees. log crococildes and mobile with moths that look like evil eyes. But the placement of the figures is different. No log crocs next to the witch's boat, the trees come after the mobile etc.

Later in the ride we see the sliding mine cart and swaying timbers, also featured in the old WDW ride, but the mine cart doesn't slide as quickly down it's path.

It's not quite the full blown horror show of old WDW but it's the closest thing we have and that makes it the best.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Found this by accident on Google, it's an old site plan for Tokyo Disneyland.

1576983074570.png

Look what's on the map:

- America Sings (above the speedway)
- If You Had Wings (next to Meet the World)
- Magic Journey 'Round Japan in Circle-Vision

Also Main Street instead of World Bazaar.

@lazyboy97o @the.dreamfinder did you ever know these were in the plan at one point? Date of the map is September 4, 1980, after construction had started.

Here is the final opening day site map:

1576984472496.png

Last edited:

The_Mesh_Hatter

Found this by accident on Google, it's an old site plan for Tokyo Disneyland.

Look what's on the map:

- America Sings (above the speedway)
- If You Had Wings (next to Meet the World)
- Magic Journey 'Round Japan in Circle-Vision

Also Main Street instead of World Bazaar.

And 3 ships cruising around the rivers of America.

I was hoping this was an older plan showing Haunted Mansion where Big Thunder is, and Casey Jr + Storybookland in Fantasyland.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
And 3 ships cruising around the rivers of America.

I was hoping this was an older plan showing Haunted Mansion where Big Thunder is, and Casey Jr + Storybookland in Fantasyland.

I don't think it's actually meant to be three ships, just an illustration of where the boat travels.

Magic Kingdom and DLP did open with two riverboats, and Disneyland has both the Columbia and Mark Twain, so maybe there was a plan for more than one.

The date on the map is a year after the opening of Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland (Sep 2 1979) which is when OLC changed their minds about wanting it in the park. Any plan with the Mansion's original location would be from earlier in 1979 or before.

lazyboy97o

I did not know about those attractions. I have to wonder if maybe they were cut to pay for Big Thunder Mountain. Even today site plans can end up behind where the park actually is in its development and this was even more the case when everything was hand drawn.

Is there a higher resolution image available of either site plan? They’re still rather blurry on my iPad.

Tokyo Disneyland is dismissed as the “copy” park but Disney presented a lot of ideas that just don’t get discussed.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I did not know about those attractions. I have to wonder if maybe they were cut to pay for Big Thunder Mountain. Even today site plans can end up behind where the park actually is in its development and this was even more the case when everything was hand drawn.

Is there a higher resolution image available of either site plan? They’re still rather blurry on my iPad.

Tokyo Disneyland is dismissed as the “copy” park but Disney presented a lot of ideas that just don’t get discussed.

Here, click on these links:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom