Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

hopemax

Thank you! This helped so much! I’m looking at doing a package for one night and then book 3 separate nights after. Not expecting them to let us stay in the room though. But would be nice.
You might be surprised. On our first trip we had a 5 night reservation and a 1 night reservation, and when we arrived they had tied them together and so we only had to check in once. If you book the same category room, I think they try to not have to move people. They know people are building these longer stays piecemeal, and a 1 or 2 day package is limiting. So yeah, don't expect to not have to move, but don't be surprised if you don't have to either.

BrianLo

I can help with a few things because we just booked a 2-night package at the Fantasy Springs hotel for our trip in October! This is our second TDR trip, the first we followed the advice to skip a package because it was cheaper a la cart pricing. But the guaranteed access to Fantasy Springs and unlimited Premier access is a game changer. Combined with a historic exchange rate, it was hard to say no. A YOLO opportunity. If ever there was a “cheap” time to splurge, and you are paying in USD, it’s now.

Packages you do pay in full at booking. Which if you are checking the current exchange rate, can make the actual package price go up or down depending on the day you book. But the Japanese prices don’t fluctuate. As long as you cancel 21 days in advance you can get a full refund.

One annoying thing, is that the ride selections you choose are factored into the price. You are basically locking in a time and prepaying for the Premiere Access. But if you want to make a modification, the whole package is rebooked, and the old one refunded. So for us, I didn’t realize the Baymax attraction, which is new to us, is essentially Mater or Alien Saucers ride. We didn’t need that one, so tonight I swapped it for the generic ride (which we can use at Pooh). This caused our package price in yen to go down 1800. But because of the exchange rate between 2AM and 11PM changed, and for us its 456,000 yen being charged, it actually resulted in like a $20 price increase! So be mindful of what you select and limit changes… unless the dollar gets even stronger.

Not a criticism because I’d be talking out my butt pretending I didn’t just pay for nice D23 seats. The package still strikes me as inordinately overpriced, it just comes off well compared to WDW I suppose.

I’ve elected to do the Sheraton and a la carte and I might be coming in at a third of your price for twice the length of stay. The base price is very, very cheap right now. Though if one is only doing two days it makes sense the way you are tackling it.

Jubs

Not a criticism because I’d be talking out my butt pretending I didn’t just pay for nice D23 seats. The package still strikes me as inordinately overpriced, it just comes off well compared to WDW I suppose.

Even if you add up the sum of all parts, the packages are often hundreds of dollars extra, so not wrong. Never even considered purchasing one until this year, but it is the price of unlimited FastPass now so... it is what it is if you want that.

IMDREW

Even if you add up the sum of all parts, the packages are often hundreds of dollars extra, so not wrong. Never even considered purchasing one until this year, but it is the price of unlimited FastPass now so... it is what it is if you want that.
Yes and for me I got a bit shocked by seeing all those lines to get into the park. Is that a daily thing?

hopemax

I’ve elected to do the Sheraton and a la carte and I might be coming in at a third of your price for twice the length of stay. The base price is very, very cheap right now. Though if one is only doing two days it makes sense the way you are tackling it.
The part you don't know is my 77 year old Dad is accompanying us. Our 2018 TDR trip, our 2023 Paris trip and this one are *his* "bucket list" trips, although I am planner, tour guide and companion. This is likely his last international trip (DH and I want to do something just the two of us for our next big trips), and while he is in good shape for his age, it is becoming a limitation. So as close as the good neighbor hotels are, we want to be closer and more in the bubble. These are the trips that you scrimp elsewhere in your life for 50 years, in order to take. We stayed at the MiraCosta in 2018, and there is not a moment the three of us regret a single dollar of that splurge. We actually talked about how "next time we could stay at the Sheraton or Hilton." The next time was scheduled for October 2020. Now it's 4 years later, and my Dad is 4 years older.

We're going to be adding on another 5 nights in a Triple Room at the Disneyland Hotel when the booking window opens in June. I expect that to be as much as the 2-night package (although as you suggest, the sum still probably less than a comparable deluxe level WDW trip would be). We don't care. We'll also probably be paying whatever ridiculousness the Grand Helios is at Epic Universe, because my Dad always wanted to experience a new theme park near opening, and DCA was... not it. The alternative option to save money for that one is we just stay at his house. So shaving spending is really not the goal, and we're fortunate that the exchange rate makes it not as outrageous as it could have been.

BrianLo

The part you don't know is my 77 year old Dad is accompanying us. Our 2018 TDR trip, our 2023 Paris trip and this one are *his* "bucket list" trips, although I am planner, tour guide and companion. This is likely his last international trip (DH and I want to do something just the two of us for our next big trips), and while he is in good shape for his age, it is becoming a limitation. So as close as the good neighbor hotels are, we want to be closer and more in the bubble. These are the trips that you scrimp elsewhere in your life for 50 years, in order to take. We stayed at the MiraCosta in 2018, and there is not a moment the three of us regret a single dollar of that splurge. We actually talked about how "next time we could stay at the Sheraton or Hilton." The next time was scheduled for October 2020. Now it's 4 years later, and my Dad is 4 years older.

We're going to be adding on another 5 nights in a Triple Room at the Disneyland Hotel when the booking window opens in June. I expect that to be as much as the 2-night package (although as you suggest, the sum still probably less than a comparable deluxe level WDW trip would be). We don't care. We'll also probably be paying whatever ridiculousness the Grand Helios is at Epic Universe, because my Dad always wanted to experience a new theme park near opening, and DCA was... not it. The alternative option to save money for that one is we just stay at his house. So shaving spending is really not the goal, and we're fortunate that the exchange rate makes it not as outrageous as it could have been.

Absolutely, not a criticism! You are not the first or the last poster to have booked this package recently that I’m aware of. I was just getting at some hiding of the math underneath that it’s ultimately multiple hundreds per day for an unlimited fast pass and an up charge on site hotel buried in the pricing to boot.

It’s more a doable/feasible luxurious splurge than a deal.

Like I said I’ve treated D23 the exact same way. If it’s a bucket list thing, it’s not out of this world at all. But for the average North American/European, it’s probably an unnecessary luxury if there’s good group mobility, patience and ability to add on another day or two to length of stay. This includes me running prey to DVC math as well, I’m not immune. 😂

maxairmike

If it weren't for Fantasy Springs, I wouldn't even be considering a vacation package for a November trip, but international travel is definitely a once in a lifetime thing for us at this point still, so I'm willing to eat the cost of a 3 day package to guarantee a full day of easy access to that land and have the extra priority passes each day so I can spend more time enjoying the parks with my camera and soaking it all in on our likely only visit. I would have balked at the idea of paying that much for this even just a few years ago, but I'm just going to try and think more about how much cheaper the churros are over there while I have way too many. 😂

Ice Gator

Copying the tweet shared by @tanc. Should we also expect an Avengers Campus somewhere in TDR in the future? Unless adding Groot and others in IASW satisfies Disney's Marvel requirement. Not a fan of OLC being forced to accept projects they are not interested in (nor the best fit for their guest demographics).

View attachment 782209
I imagine Ralph would have gone where Stitch was in MK before being swapped to Tokyo?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom