Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

jrhwdw

So Dreamlights Returned!!!!(YES!!!) A few Things:

Link:

Just like Dreaming Up!, No Dancers which we were expecting

How come we got a new announcer??? This one seems off(off key/not in the right place on the sound board?) to me. Maybe the Announcement needed to be edited(no opinon here)but why couldn't we keep the original voice or just started it with Tokyo Disneyland Proudly Presents?

Aladdin and Jas now have glass between them. Was not expecthing that unless I missed that somewhere in Dreaming Up!

wtyy21

So Dreamlights Returned!!!!(YES!!!) A few Things:

Link:

Just like Dreaming Up!, No Dancers which we were expecting

How come we got a new announcer??? This one seems off(off key/not in the right place on the sound board?) to me. Maybe the Announcement needed to be edited(no opinon here)but why couldn't we keep the original voice or just started it with Tokyo Disneyland Proudly Presents?

Aladdin and Jas now have glass between them. Was not expecthing that unless I missed that somewhere in Dreaming Up!

In fact "Ladies and gentlemen boys and girls" greeting were removed in new announcement and replaced with "Good Evening, and welcome to one and all", which sounds weird for MSEP fans for almost 50 years but will recognize for some japanese fans.

Regardless whether there are sound issues behind it, i will curious to see how changes to Dreamlights greeting will be implemented to Disneyland in California assuming that the parade returns in 2022 because i certainly predicts that "Ladies and gentlemen boys and girls" greeting will be removed and replaced with almost similar line as TDL's one:
Good Evening, and welcome to one and all (or similar, as long as they removed ladies and gentlemen one)! Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination. In thousands of sparkling lights, and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds: the Main Street Electrical Parade!

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

they should ditch the RR in tokyo imo, use that area for something better.
What are they going to fit in there? The railroad is boxed in by Jungle Cruise, backstage, the river, Critter Country and Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder, and taking out the track by itself gives them a negligible amount of space to work with.

Maybe if they decide to get rid of the river entirely at some point, but the train is a reliable attraction with decent capacity that anyone can ride, and one of the better Disney train rides to boot. Why would they want to remove the train? There's nothing to gain from its removal unless they're also spending $$$$ for major west side of the park reconstruction surgery.

Last edited:

Robbiem

they should ditch the RR in tokyo imo, use that area for something better. Also I think there should be a Japanese Disney Princess.
I actually really like the railroad in tokyo, yes it has some sections where there isn’t much to see but it also crosses right through the middle of critter country try and Frontierland rather than circling the berm. you get the grand canyon and primeval dioramas and a view of splash’s finale. Its a nice break and relax and feel much more like an attraction than its stateside counterparts, more like the mark twain Plus I think tis the only adventureland station

I also love the electric railway at disneysea simple but nice

Agree a Japanese princess is overdue. I’d love to see Disney take make a kurasawa esque samurai era animated movie

PiratesMansion

I actually really like the railroad in tokyo, yes it has some sections where there isn’t much to see but it also crosses right through the middle of critter country try and Frontierland rather than circling the berm. you get the grand canyon and primeval dioramas and a view of splash’s finale. Its a nice break and relax and feel much more like an attraction than its stateside counterparts, more like the mark twain Plus I think tis the only adventureland station

I also love the electric railway at disneysea simple but nice
More or less-there isn't a Grand Canyon diorama and you don't see inside Splash Mountain (you do, however, travel in front of it). But considering what restrictions were placed upon them when they built it I think they did a fabulous job with it.

As you say, there's a nice bit of development with it, a sense of payoff. Yes, it starts with nothing, but once you get into Westernland there's suddenly scenery and the ride continues to build and improve until finally you reach the diorama. I'd say it's definitely a more satisfying experience as an attraction than the railroads in Florida, Paris, and Hong Kong-which it needs to be to justify its existence. And in Tokyo it's nice to have some lowkey things that don't see as ridiculous queues as some of the other attractions sometimes merit.

The Electric Railway may well be the gold standard of all Disney transportation as far as being a piece of kinetic energy. The only problem is that I'm not really sure why anyone would go to Port Discovery on purpose.

I wonder if part of the reason Disney stayed away from a Japanese princess for so long was because of their association with Ghibli that was only (relatively) recently terminated.

SweetDuffy101

1646401215492.png
Tokyo Disney Resort will start selling Multi-day passport (Kinda Annual Pass)
but the caveat is that it will have Blockout Dates, Priced at ¥44,000.

All i can say is that atleast we can see some things coming back in some sort of way, Post pandemic, Can't wait for Seasonal Parades and shows to comeback, With soon to debut shows from Dockside Stage and Believe is already there and has been doing tech rehearsals minus entertainers/actors and music.

And I just went to stay at the resort nearby Bayside station, and Oh my that Fantasy Springs Hotel is Enormous, its way bigger than past disney resort Hotels, and judging from in person even its still in construction phase, It going to be an elaborate Hotel and its really far away from Tokyo DisneySea Entrance which is Approximately 1.2 km away from Fantasy springs area, and Its quite smart for them to create a dedicated entrance for people staying in the Fantasy springs Hotel in 2023.

BasiltheBatLord

Spent the day at TDS today, first visit in 8 months or so. Couple observations:
  • Standby pass is not being used at all anymore. Every attraction is old school standby line with no apps, reservations, FastPass or anything. Not sure if this is a permanent thing now or if standby pass is still going to be used on crowded days/to re-direct crowd flow.
  • Crowds seem to be at a "moderate-high" type of level. Wait times for most E-tickets were around 40-50 mins. Not short but not terribly long either. I'm guessing this is the "new normal" for capacity they're trying to target going forward. Queue management still seems terrible. Lines extending way out onto walkways where I had never seen them extend pre-pandemic. Not sure what's causing this.
  • FastPass signage continues to be removed from the park, although the kiosks are all still there (I've heard that kiosks are starting to be removed in TDL though). If you ever doubted that legacy FP is dead and buried at TDR, now you know.
  • Noticed a few shops open now that had previously been closed for all of the pandemic
  • Social distancing markers are gone in attraction queues, however the tape left permanent-looking black marks in most of them. Maybe this will fade away with time?
  • Plexiglass is finally gone from IJA ride vehicles.
  • TDS is really hurting from lack of entertainment. Going on 2 years now with no nighttime harbor show and I believe Big Band Beat is still doing the lite version.
  • I finally got to ride Soaring after 2+ years of living in Japan thanks to standby pass not being a thing anymore. The queue and pre-show are wonderful and features some really fantastic illustrations and paintings. Ride experience itself is totally unchanged except for a different end of the film.
  • A lot of completed or nearly completed pre-fab work for Fantasy Springs lying in easy view of the resort monorail. Inside the park, the view of FS doesn't look that much different from last time I was here, although I think I did notice some grown in trees over the wall.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Queue management still seems terrible. Lines extending way out onto walkways where I had never seen them extend pre-pandemic. Not sure what's causing this.
It’s because FastPass is gone. Even though the wait times were the same or higher, less capacity was dedicated to Stand By so the required queue space is actually less.

SweetDuffy101

It all started last weeks of April 2022, With ease of restrictions , Actually its a marketing strategy to remove all of Fastpass Kiosks and Replace it with digital Passes throughout the park, That being said we will be saying Goodbye to old FP kiosks very soon, Sadly we didn't actually get to see the FP machines for Baymax and BATB even SOARING. Didn't get to debut the Fastpass Machines.

There is a Theory that OLC might release an ABCDE tier Fastpass premiere very soon, or they might stick with a Genie+ type of service that will launch soon.

CalebS

I will be planning my first Tokyo visit from the US once an announcement date for the expansion completion is announced and when masks are no longer required. I had one question. I am very tall (6”7’) but rather slim, are rides in Tokyo very accomodating in fitting a variety of people like the ones in the US are?

fradz

I will be planning my first Tokyo visit from the US once an announcement date for the expansion completion is announced and when masks are no longer required. I had one question. I am very tall (6”7’) but rather slim, are rides in Tokyo very accomodating in fitting a variety of people like the ones in the US are?
No problems for all rides except for Raging Spirits which has a 195cm max height and it’s enforced. My friend is around 195 and we went twice, once uncomfortably sitting and once he was triple checked at the entrance before finally let in.

Ah and Space Mountain too

CalebS

No problems for all rides except for Raging Spirits which has a 195cm max height and it’s enforced. My friend is around 195 and we went twice, once uncomfortably sitting and once he was triple checked at the entrance before finally let in.

Got it. Thanks

PiratesMansion

Do you mean Splash?

Space didn't strike me as any different from the DL version whereas Splash redid their logs a few years ago and the seats are now *tiny*.

@CalebS the Monsters Inc. cars are small also.

Don't be bummed about missing Raging Spirits. It's aggressively mediocre and the best part of it (fire on water) can be seen from outside the ride.

fradz

Do you mean Splash?

Space didn't strike me as any different from the DL version whereas Splash redid their logs a few years ago and the seats are now *tiny*.

@CalebS the Monsters Inc. cars are small also.

Don't be bummed about missing Raging Spirits. It's aggressively mediocre and the best part of it (fire on water) can be seen from outside the ride.
Splash was a bit tight for him iirc but admittedly that was a while ago when I went with him and I’m not very tall so never had any issue when I returned.
I remember Space because a CM walked him to the maintenance bay to test the seat because she wasn’t sure he would fit 😂 but yes it’s the same train as the DL one I believe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom