Mirror Disneyland - Version 2.0 - An Alternate History

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
If you have not visited Part One for WestCOT and The Wonders of Life, please return to Page 2! You'll be lost if you haven't done so yet!

If you have already read it all, let's move right along...

The Wonders of Life (Continued)

r-SqxXWYEb4qV64wDgeakW-3PLqY6BDVYGnOzuKWZ5WmdZx5P5uRuHLi3yWo4CifadQfH2RjSWamEj5CocGWL4Pmkbg0wtrv1igqWDTukdVudihOluBGiDylExziYTKjwlsiiNWY

The Great Midway of Life would be incomplete without subtle reference and nod to the standby games of an actual carnival, and here, the games are far from inactive. Head to one of the dispensing machines near the Games of the Midway, and purchase a special play card with prepaid credits. Then, play away! In a batting cage-type area, we can either swing a baseball bat, golf club, or tennis racket in a VR-rendered court. The higher our score, the higher chance we have in taking home an adorable prize.

A series of circus tents with video screens hold Goofy About Health, an open-air theater near the Games of the Midway. The screens display old Goofy shorts about exercise and health, always comical and irreverent. Goofy himself, in full athletic attire, has his own meet ‘n’ greet here, and no matter how hard he tries, he can’t seem to get a grip on the 100-lb dumbbell in front of him. The WonderCycles are an unexpected workout; a simulated-biking experience, we pedal to “move” through a virtual course on the monitor before us. The faster we pedal, the quicker we move through the course.

qIe1KCkALW_TWeLxrye248WugfqK1t2QOVCQZo3ddwWy6HZq1exOBtO_QDK__FZSdyfhZjLtVSr5g5dXtdyfjXeKqkdY-oOnWvwH5-l3X56hyr0-qGUKr5E3Un0EEoWEJi0hk9Jc

The Imaginatorium Theater has held not one, but several films over the years, including Cranium Command, an attraction "borrowed" from EPCOT Center, and its ill-fated and poorly received replacement, Eric Idle - Flight of Fitness.

Idle, fresh off the success of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, an attraction found in both Epcot and Disneyland's Tomorrowland at the time, was tapped by WED again for a new film - a bizarre musical adventure about the importance of good health and physical fitness. The 15-minute "spectacular" was utterly bizarre, ending in a strange effect where the screen would split open to reveal a giant moon with the Audio-Animatronics face of Eric Idle singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." Flight of Fitness did not last. The attraction was closed after two years in operation, and the Imaginatorium Theater sadly became host to various "sneak peeks" and previews for up and coming Disney Films.

Fittingly, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" has remained the anthem of Pyramid #1 ever since.

When Inside Out was released on June 19, 2015, the film was praised for its concept, screenplay, subject matter, and musical score. The film grossed $90.4 million in its first weekend, making it the highest opening for an original title at the time, accumulating over $857 million in worldwide box office revenue. The film received several awards, including a Golden Globe Award and Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. It was more than evident that Inside Out would be a suited addition to WestCOT.

The Train of Thought sits outside the entrance to the revamped Cranium Command theater. The purple freight train is used for communication from the rest of Riley's mind to the towering Headquarters above. Beneath the marquee and past the Train of Thought, we enter a detailed queue creatively re-purposed from the theater's original holding area and into a series of large models and murals depicting Imagination Land, a creative world in the back of Riley's mind. The French Fry Forest, Trophy Town, and House of Cards (among other landmarks) protrude along the "skyline."

Inside Out: Magical Mind is the first-ever "open house" tour of Riley's eleven-year old mind. The old Imaginatorium Theater has been retrofitted to resemble the Headquarters of the human mind, in this case, the mind of Riley. The 4D film portrays human imagination and thought process in a new light; one that captures the design and intent behind peculiar ideas and nonsensical creations. We join Joy, Fear, Sadness, Anger and Disgust as they aide Riley in the creation of an illustrated book report. We explore colorful imagery and visualized thoughts from reading the book, and things grow even wilder as Riley puts crayon to paper; a literal whirlwind of color and light.

02geIzeQpCvpKEL8Bh-IQ1lu5vkOl7kAcOoq_5c4YN9k7kDiOt8dYaFbEinmlItVGptIHITQh7D9kt9dADxMnrKEBt73OlQ5tLy1Tk5L-qQKvSynPMCZ5TOTNtb98UBaUq0YIyRC

“Science-Fiction and Science Fact Merge with State-of-the-Art Simulator Technology

To Propel You on a Thrilling Ride through the Human Body!
A High Speed Thrill Ride into the Heart of Adventure!”

In contrast to the colorful and abstract carnival of the Great Midway of Life, we have passed beneath the framework of a “far-off” roller coaster, through a large portal, and into the serious, high-tech facilities and laboratories of MET - Miniaturized Exploration Technologies.

Adventure Thru Inner Space in Tomorrowland, of course, is more in focus on the fantastical and extraterrestrial, a natural fit for Disneyland, whereas WestCOT’s Body Wars is more in focus on the realistic and probable. In Inner Space, we encounter creature-like viruses and large, pulsating, alien organs and cells. In Body Wars, however... Well...

You won’t find Dr. Figment here. Instead, we are introduced to the scientists and doctors at MET who have pioneered an amazing technology that allows a miniaturized crew to travel inside the human body from the comfort and safety inside a “Body Probe” vehicle. Once beyond the Great Midway of Life, through the portal and beneath the “roller coaster,” we find the queue to be in stark contrast - a massive mural around the inner circumference of the queue is a collection of blood vessels, tubes, arteries and veins that illustrate something inside of us. The music has gone from an electro-synthetic carnival to a dramatic science-fiction soundtrack…

CLhqWPU17gAqw23uhqn5j62am_obqBIgiFXDe9TaWhxBLTxGs5o841wb7BztV-LrfR0bILajmBsPVx0xReqSKVbF9r-_NupavG-m5uUC_kf69LY3miHWfQG2dl-8zJ5qZwq-bAiu

The laboratories and facilities of MET are concealed and barred from the Great Midway of Life to better control the potential invasion of disease and external pathogens. The mural transitions into working labs and equipment, where video monitors and diagrams explain the incredible LGS-2050 Body Probe Vehicle. These white pods can be miniaturized to the size of a cell and beamed into a human body for research and exploration. Interactive exhibits in the queue include “Frontiers in Medicine,” displaying research and advancements in modern medicine, “MET Lifestyle Review,” a hands-on survey based on our health habits and what we can do to improve them, and lastly, a full-scale LGS-2050 Vehicle, our soon-to-be method of transportation.

In the pre-show, the Mission Commander explains our situation. Ten minutes ago, Dr. Cynthia Lair, one of MET’s foremost immunologists, was miniaturized and beamed into the right index finger of a volunteer with a splinter. Dr. Lair is researching the “inflammatory response of the neutrophils as they react to invading bacteria.” Unfortunately, she is now trapped - and it now takes our Captain and 10 WestCOT visitors at a time to shrink down and rescue her.

Unlike Star Tours - or even the original Body Wars at EPCOT Center - the WestCOT variation on Body Wars is different, more grandiose, and even more intimate in a sense. The enclosed LGS-2050 is almost like a bubble in appearance with an all-enveloping glass viewing port. We board our motion-simulator, the Body Probe, and watch a film projected onto a large, dome-shaped IMAX screen. The ride-film itself is different, as though the premise remains the same as the original, the actors and settings have been recast and redesigned as CGI had improved greatly since the conception of the 1989 version.

1584657658572.png

The Rainbow Corridor is perhaps the most famous and iconic image of the original Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT Center. So iconic in fact, it was rebuilt and duplicated for The Wonders of Life at WestCOT. Pulsing colors trace our path as we traverse the corridor.

The Rainbow Corridor connects the Great Midway of Life in Pyramid #1 with an entrance to Pyramid #2: Imagination.

Once inside Pyramid #2, we find ourselves in a circular, sunlit lobby with a spiral staircase at its center. The entire room is surrounded in pastel murals of scenes from Journey Into Imagination, the forthcoming adventure, all while a continuously-moving line of purple sleighs advance around the corner, disappearing into the dark. These two-row, pastel-purple vehicles are a modified version of the Omnimover ride system, with each vehicle able to rotate in any which way. However, once on board, four vehicles at a time advance ahead, separating themselves from the rest.

Rising through the clouds, lights pulse to the classic song "One Little Spark," a Sherman Bros. original. The Dreamfinder soars into sight aboard his flying machine, the kinetic "Dreamcatcher." Figment, a literal figment of the Dreamfinder's imagination, is introduced through a pressure cooker. The Dreamfinder and Figment use their imaginations to create wonderful imagery and magic for all to enjoy. After a brief tour of the Dreamport, where all sparks of imagination are stored, we learn the four areas of the imagination to be explored in the coming adventure: Art, Literature, Science, and the Performing Arts.

The rest, as they say, is WestCOT history. But there is so much more to discover in the Imagination Pyramid. In fact, we are only just beginning...

1584678694795.png

ImageWorks, located on the second-floor of Pyramid #2, offers a spectacular view of Future World and WestCOT through the glass lens of Pyramid #2. ImageWorks in itself is a futuristic playground of visual delights, light shows, interactive games, and such similar activities that spark creativity and tickle the senses. Families can learn, play, and grow in the ImageWorks, all while marveling at the unthinkable feats of the imagination. The fun includes:

Figment's Coloring Book - electronic coloring books
Magic Palettes - a free-style, digital coloring book
Light Writers - laser beams are used to draw patterns and shapes
Stepping Tones - colored floor-tiles make different tones when stepped on
Pin Screens - hundreds upon thousands of pins make shapes when pressed on
Bubble Music - bubbles create music
Giant Kaleidoscopes
Making Faces
- edit photos and selfies with humorous add-ins
Lumia - a large ball that responds to sounds by spinning in different light and color patterns
Electronic Philharmonic - a light-sensitive orchestra that has us play the instruments and conduct with our hands

ImageWorks is also the respective meet 'n' greet location for the Dreamfinder and Figment.

An ImageWorks attraction that invites us to star in an actual film with the Dreamfinder, the Dreamfinder's School of Drama has been updated and advanced continuously since 1998. Imagineer Joe Rohde has starred as the Dreamfinder since the original School of Drama premiered at Epcot in 1983. Rohde, though not the voice of the Dreamfinder in the main dark ride, has filmed each updated segment for the School of Drama since, and Muppeteer Dave Goelz has since assumed the vocal performance of Figment in all updated appearances.

Next time, we'll move on to the final Future World pavilion - The Wonders of Earth.

Attachments

• 1584649031495.png
    1584649031495.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 214

DisneyManOne

I am loving this so far! It's nice to see the Journey Into Imagination experience kept mostly as-is from the old days of EPCOT. Frankly, I can't wait to see what Wonders of Earth will be like. I'm also curious as to how you'll represent all the countries of the world in just four pavilions.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
So working from home six to seven hours a day has taken a toll on my free time, but honestly, that's okay, I'm grateful to still have a job and to be working in this difficult time period. Is everyone doing okay out there? I wish everyone the best.

Because I haven't gotten to work on WestCOT this week, I'll be posting something else for my weekly update...

MIRROR DISNEYLAND'S BACKGROUND MUSIC!!!

You might also catch a sneak-peek of some attractions I have yet to announce!

BACKGROUND MUSIC LISTINGS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FOR EDITS AND RELEASE AT A LATER DATE. - MEW, 4/1/2020

Last edited:

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Lemme guess two of these new attractions: Sindbad's Storybook Voyage in Africa or Asia and Ratatouille in The Old World (since The Old World refers to Europe)?

Perhaps! ;)

Working from home has taken more free time than expected. I'm on the computer for seven hours a day (M - F), and by the time I'm done, my eyes are so unfocused that I can't bear spending additional hours online working on WestCOT. I have the Wonders of Earth started, but I'd hate to post it in such short increments at a time. I'd rather knock it out in two mega-posts. For now, I'll continue working on WestCOT in small increments, and privately.

For this week and next week, I'll be posting two ride-throughs that I hadn't planned on posting until a later date; Mirror Disneyland's two pinnacle attractions: Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion.

Both ride-throughs will borrow much of their words and inspiration from author and Imagineer, Jason Surrell. Jason Surrell's wonderful books Pirates of the Caribbean - From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies and The Haunted Mansion - Imagineering a Disney Classic have played a key role in my writing style, as well as my skills as an Armchair Imagineer. Simply put, there's no better way to describe these attractions than through his own words and influence. Please, if you haven't, purchase and READ these books. Of course, I've reworded much of the influence to my own wording and preference. This isn't the same POTC we've known since 1967, after all...

Pirates of the Caribbean

Pirates of the Caribbean debuted with a soft opening on March 18, 1967, its official premiere and press event following on April 19. The attraction was an instant hit with the public, and it would set the standard for everything that would come thereafter. "Pirates is Disney's quintessential, signature attraction," Marty Sklar says. "We measure everything we do against Pirates of the Caribbean." It is a magical alchemy of creative factors and design decisions, each a testament to the considerable talents of the Imagineers who designed it.

1585511985051.png

Our adventure begins in the French Quarter of old New Orleans, which stands proudly at a wide bend in the Rivers of America.

With its lacy wrought-iron balconies, shuttered windows, and pastel-colored stucco, the architecture of New Orleans Square reflects the Queen of the Delta a century ago, when the bustling seaport was a cultural mix of origin and influence. This journey back in time continues as we approach the stately manor house at the head of Royal Street, its genteel appearance inspired by the famed "Cabildo" in the real New Orleans's Jackson Square.

Upon entry, we are greeted with an improbable sight, a brick canal in which bateaux* sail around a tropical sandbar, strewn with treasure chests, a weathered Jolly Roger, an abandoned rowboat, seaweed, and an unfurled treasure map. A seagull perches atop the post to which the rowboat is hitched, quizzically watching the bateaux as they sail past him. The attraction's title materializes across the treasure map, as if glittering "stardust" has been scattered over the parchment by an invisible hand.

We are invited to explore the manor house's finely appointed lobby while we wait. Paintings of pirate ships and epic sea battles and a map of the Western Hemisphere adorn the walls, along with portraits of an aristocratic gentleman and his lady, perhaps the master and mistress of the house. A decorative birdcage, an old sea chest, and a scale model of a galleon complete this picture of Southern gentility, while offering hints of the nautical adventure to come.

A number of caricatures on the interior walls are based on some of Marc Davis's earliest renderings of nautical personages Sir Francis Verney, Sir Henry Mainwaring, Anne Bonny and Mary Read, and Captain Charles Gibbs. Also featured: Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa, Long John Silver of Treasure Island, and the Captain Hook of J.M. Barrie's novel Peter Pan.

*Bateaux: a light flat-bottomed riverboat used in eastern and central North America. Here, they are small, 22-passenger boats. There are fifty-two bateaux in all, each of which is christened with the name of a famous pirate. Each bateaux looks to be built of wood salvaged from a shipwreck.

1585515319708.png

A boardwalk leads from the interior of the manor house to a rickety, wooden boat landing on the edge of a quiet Louisiana bayou in the early 1800s. It is a balmy and breezy summer evening, with bright shining stars and a full moon reflecting off the cool waters. Flickering lanterns illuminate a crude sign that announces the dock as Lafitte's Landing. Lafitte's Landing is, of course, named for the infamous French pirate Jean Lafitte, who made his secret hideout in Louisiana bayou country. Crickets can be heard chirping in the distance, along with the soothing sound of bullfrogs, waterfowl, and breaking waves. We board our bateaux and set sail across the serene Blue Bayou.

Mangroves rise from the water and stretch into the dark rich blue of the night sky. Fireflies bob and weave in and out of the high grass. An alligator lies in wait near a small wooden houseboat. To the right, we see diners enjoying a candlelit meal on the veranda of an elegant Southern plantation. To the left is the infinite wilderness of the Old South, a verdant landscape dotted by shrimp boats and swamp shacks. A banjo can be heard strumming in the distance, offering a counterpoint to the crickets and bullfrogs. We pass the lonely "Beacon Joe," an elderly homesteader sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of his weathered shack, a good pipe and sleeping hound dog his only company.

The bateaux enters a brick passageway illuminated by flickering gas lamps. A talking skull and crossbones affixed to the wall overhead issues a series of ominous warnings that culminates with the attraction's chilling motto: "Dead men tell no tales!"

"Ye come seeking adventure and salty old pirates, aye? Sure ye've come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open, mates, and hold on tight... With both hands if you please. There be squalls ahead - and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey...

Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys...and there be plundering pirates lurking in every cove, waitin' to board. Sit closer together, and keep yer ruddy hands inboard. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys...dead men tell no tales..."

1585516398620.png

Dead Man's Cove - The Grotto of Lost Souls

The bateaux topples over a waterfall and down into a long, cavernous passage. Waterfalls cascade into underground pools through jagged fissures in the rocks, and through the mouth of a cave, we see storm clouds gathered in the image of a skull and crossbones. From out of the dark comes the rousing sound of pirates singing a sea chantey, "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)."

The bateaux slips over a second waterfall and into a subterranean grotto carved by the underground river. A ghostly voice repeats a familiar warning, "Dead men tell no tales," which echoes throughout the caverns as we sail further back in time...

Both drops are 21-degree angles; the first is fifty-two feet and the second is thirty-seven feet. When Walt made the decision to turn Pirates into a ride-through attraction, the original basement earmarked for a wax museum was no longer large enough to accommodate the entire show. Walt had a solution: "Oh, just put in some caves or something." As one Imagineer recalled of Walt's vision, "'They'll ride through in boats and drop down a waterfall and go through a tunnel to get under the railroad tracks and we'll put a big show building outside the park.' He had the whole thing figured out.'"

1585517254807.png

We first see a grim tableau: a lonely beach littered with the skeletal remnants of three rogues who fell short in their search for buried treasure. One lies sprawled face-first in the sand, a cutlass protruding from his back. Another, a captain, by the look of his decayed uniform, stands impaled on a rocky outcropping, a sword run through his chest. A seagull squawks from its nest in the dead captain's hat. The third body lies dead near an empty treasure chest and a tattered Jolly Roger.

"Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)" plays now in a slow, eerie, but remarkably quaint instrumental. Two disembodied voices warn us of the rewards reaped from the life of a pirate, performed by Paul Frees and J. Pat O' Malley in counterpoint to Frees's recurring, "Dead men tell no tales."

"Hear ye a dead mans tale o' a dastardly deed. Brave seamen, these... Helped bury the gold they did, then silenced forever. Har! So thought that black 'earted divil! ... But stay, I told their tale 'afore...now I be tellin' it again. Here be where the gold... Dead men tell no tales!"

"Dead men tell no tales, Harrr, heh-heh-heh! Look there upon these pirates bold, take heed whilst I tell ye the gruesome details o' their slight misfortune...and the treacherous act what did them in. Unsuspectin' rogues, unmindful... Dead men tell no tales!"
Gale-force winds and sheets of blinding rain lash the catacombs, though not our bateaux. A mysterious storm crashes through the mouth of a large cave, with lightning strikes illuminating the horrific diorama of a skeleton at the helm of a ghost ship on the starboard side. The tattered remains of his uniform flail in the howling wind and raging surf. In the distance, phantom galleons and wraith-like apparitions flash in the turbulent skies of the squall.

On the port side, we glimpse another horrific sight - the skeletal remains of a mermaid. The deceased half-ling is roped to the near-submerged wreckage of a small vessel, left for dead long ago.

1585519580210.png

Moving onward, we enter the ruins of the "Crew's Quarters," a dockside tavern filled to overflowing with about every liquor known to piratedom. Fairing far better than their cursed comrades are the skeletal crewmen having the time of their afterlives. We see firewater flowing down one pirate's gullet as he takes an endless pull from a bottle of rum. We hear girlish giggles and lecherous male laughter emanating down a stairway decorated with discarded petticoats. Two skeletal chums are hunched over a chessboard, concentrated on their game. The contest is in a state of perpetual check, in which the only available move leads to a loop that can never be broken. They'd rather have died than have called it a tie... Water from the ongoing storm leaks into the scene from the grotto's ceiling, collecting in an assortment of strategically placed buckets, pots, and pans.

The music has transitioned from eerie and quaint to jolly but mysterious - the now famous orchestral of "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)" is the effective underscore of the coming scenes. In the Captain's Quarters, we find what's left of the Pirate Captain. A man of delicate taste, the Captain's Quarters are rigged with the finest furnishings money didn't buy. The Pirate Captain is nothing but a bony corpse holding a magnifying glass over a treasure map - the lens magnifying his empty eye socket to grotesque proportions. The Captain's harpsichord plays the now familiar pirate anthem as we glide on into the grotto.

1585520881997.png

The forthcoming Treasure Room is filled to overflowing with the objects of many a pirate's desire. Sitting atop a mountain of gold doubloons, jewels, and pieces of eight is the second to last member of this doomed crew. The brigand clutches a stack of doubloons in his gnarled hand, basking in his fleeting glory for all time. In leaving this elusive cache, we see the chest of cursed Aztec Gold - the same cursed gold that transforms men into skeletons in the moonlight.

We leave the haunted caverns behind and drift down a long, dark tunnel as the sounds of distant cannon fire and shouting fill the air. Two ghostly voices warn us of the ancient curse placed on the treasure, and the grim fate that awaits anyone fool enough to take it from its subterranean keep.

"No fear have ye of evil curses, says you?" Ahhh... Properly warned ye be, sez I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this bewitched treasure? Dead men tell no tales!"

"Perhaps ye knows too much... Ye've seen the cursed treasure, you know where it be hidd'n. Now proceed at your own risk. These be the last 'friendly' words ye'll hear. Ye may not survive to pass this way again... Dead men tell no tales!"
As the cannon fire draws near, we glimpse one final skeleton - caught in a rope-suspended booby trap. The skeleton, with a remarkable head of hair, holds a treasure chest full of gold and jewels. Depending on our angle, his skull is either that of a human being or a hallowed skull - as we float past, we watch flesh overwhelm his barren skull once more with life. At his feet is an octopus fiddling with jewels. This small vignette, added in 2018, is unique to the Disneyland attraction, and was designed to bridge the narrative gap between the pirates in their "yo-ho" heyday and the grisly fate awaiting them in the haunted grottoes.

Huge stalactites and stalagmites form the exit from the Grotto of Lost Souls. A mysterious fog has rolled in. The cannon fire has grown louder, and the ghostly voices are now but a distant memory. Bits of shipwreck and weaponry lay strewn among the rock-work. A makeshift trio of gallows appear on the starboard side amidst the stalagmites, obvious methods of pirate-led torture. A disturbed, beady-eyed individual has been chained and imprisoned tightly from the only set of gallows in use, grinning and chuckling maniacally - his eyes follow our every move. His body slowly sways in the ethereal breeze.

1585530891095.png

It seems we have continued even further back in time, and have arrived now at the height of the Golden Age of Piracy, when these very same cursed pirates first invaded this unsuspecting island colony in search of the legendary treasure. As the cavern clears and transitions into the waters of the 18th century and the Caribbean Sea, we come across the sight of an isolated beach bordered by miniature waterfalls and odd rock formations. A brash commander stands aboard a small schooner, cannon, sword and oars at the ready. His two comrades do their absolute best in pushing him out to sea from the shore, though it seems the schooner's weight is too difficult to budge. An epic sea battle is visible ahead. The commander points in its direction, barking orders back and forth.

"Ho! ... Lookie here, boys, thar be a hot time in the old town tonight! Heh-heh!" (The men groan in agony) "Quit yer blubbering, ye salty dogs! Morgan sez the streets be paved with gold! Now push, lads - puuuush!" (The men groan again) "Hurry! We'll miss the treasure! Put yer backs into it! Heave!" (They groan) "Ho! ... Heave!" (They groan) "Ho! ... Storm the fort and steal a fortune! ... Push! Push! Push, me cutthroats, push! Time to set sail!" (They groan even louder) "Our fortune's made, lads. Quick now - we're keepin' the ladies waiting! Heave!" (Groans again) "Ho! ... Avast there, mates - we waited fer dark! We waited long enough! Now... Push! Puuuuush!" (They groan) "Aye, the ole' Cap'n - his heart's as black as his beard! He'll ring yer neck if ye lubbers don't push faster! Now heave!" (They groan again)

1585530704758.png

We emerge from the Grotto to find ourselves in the middle of a fog-enshrouded harbor under cloudy night skies, our bateaux caught in the midst of a fierce battle between a pirate galleon, The Wicked Wench, and a Spanish fort on the shore of an island colony. We have arrived in the late 1700s, the Golden Age of Piracy. But, before we draw near the battle itself, we glimpse one unfortunate brigand afloat off the starboard side, a seagull perched on his head.

1585532352079.png

TO BE CONTINUED!

Thoughts so far?

DisneyManOne

Just a few questions: The last two sights (the fat captain and the brigand on the barrel) never made it to the physical ride, right? And also, I'm a bit confused about the appearance of the "stardust" map. Would this be right as we enter the mansion, or outside? Would there even be a title sign on the front of the mansion, like there currently is?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Just a few questions: The last two sights (the fat captain and the brigand on the barrel) never made it to the physical ride, right? And also, I'm a bit confused about the appearance of the "stardust" map. Would this be right as we enter the mansion, or outside? Would there even be a title sign on the front of the mansion, like there currently is?

Yes, the whole segment between the Grotto and Bombarding the Fort was never built in the real attraction, hence the included concept art! Everything from the hanging man through the guy floating on the barrel are a transition point between the dead pirates in the caves and the living pirates on the galleon. The idea is kind of a rocky pirate's hideout in the caves, sometime long before they were filled with dead guys.

The title of the attraction will still be on the outside of the manor house like in real-life. The "stardust" treasure map is right inside the entrance and is something that actually existed in the Disneyland version of the attraction from 1997 to 2006:

You can see it about 45 seconds into this video!

In real-life, a number of Audio-Animatronics from World of Motion were incorporated into the attraction in the 1997 makeover. Since World of Motion never closed in Mirror Disneyland's reality in WDW (heck, it's even at WestCOT), these Audio-Animatronics never made the move to the Disneyland POTC.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster

Isla Tesoro - Puerto Dorado

9IsVUV1LL8OcbxiIkiBKUk0ISMyh4LHW3VcxlmENThQUYJyv7HDYmzyaoLZ7nCceKl9R0Rs46uZk9mi8ilQSsKX-VBRgIkILAHv6iVB3yNo7dGPuWn7vlhZwqzaENOWKQxZTRtnn

“Strike yer colors, ye bloomin’ cockroachers! By thunder, we’ll see ya to Davy Jones!”

The Pirate Captain barks orders to his crew as they fire the guns and cannons aboard The Wicked Wench. Colonial defenders can be seen manning the fort’s cannons, barking orders to each other in Spanish and shouting threats at the invading pirates. Between the splashing waters and smoke, we helplessly drift through this nautical melee. With each cannonball’s splash, the water glows orange with heat. But, somehow we survive the crossfire and enter the sacked seaport of Puerto Dorado anyway. The silhouettes of two duelists are seen and heard brawling atop a rampart in the distance.

The Pirate Captain, voiced by Paul Frees, is inspired by Edward Teach, better known as the infamous Blackbeard. He even has bows tied into his whiskers! The background music was added to the scene in 2006, and hails from the film franchise - “The Medallion Calls,” as masterfully composed by Hans Zimmer. The Spanish soldiers were added to the scene in a 1999/2000 rehab.

bbHDIUleK60YvVEL9dQRiIGld2oBtsITqc-vtzyNiqN2ykiaqYCrfiOyNV6fJmaBPw3jDseBcIUyIYPGqk1pWsrWNvkRAfQ7LmyX4sOlLCYO2XENZyr0tEcBaFZffAyrx4ZyB6_o

As we sail into the impressive Puerto Dorado, the search for the treasure begins as a hook-handed Pirate Captain (J. Pat O’ Malley) extracts information from Carlos (Paul Frees), the town magistrate, and other local officials by dunking them in a well. The portly magistrate spits and sputters water as one of the mates pulls him out of the well, a third pirate underscoring the action with a flute. The magistrate’s wife appears in the upstairs window of an adjacent building, begging her husband not to talk. Another of the crewmen fires his musket at her and she vanishes back into the house with a scream, pulling the shutters closed behind her. The Pirate Captain orders Carlos dunked again as his crew explodes into laughter and the other townsmen quake in their nightshirts.

CAPTAIN: Pipe the lubber aloft, matey. Speak up, ya bilge rat! Where be the treasure?
WIFE: Do not tell him, Carlos! No, no, no, no! (PIRATE fires at her. She screams.)
PIRATE: Hahahaha! Scuttle, ya old cockroach!
CARLOS: No! No! Por favor! (Being dunked) No… No… No… (PIRATES laugh)
CAPTAIN: Pipe him aloft again, matey.
WIFE: Be brave, Carlos! Don’t listen to him. (Shots fired. PIRATES laugh)
CAPTAIN: By gum, he’ll talk, or do a fine dance at rope’s end! Be that clear, senor?!
WIFE: Don’t tell him, Carlos! Don’t be chicken! (Shots fired. Laughter)
PIRATE: Scuttle the scum!
PIRATE: Scuttle the scum! (Laughter)
CARLOS: I am no chicken! I will not talk! (Being dunked) I will… Not… Talk… (All laugh)

In a 2006 refurbishment, a number of changes were implemented in reflection of the popular film franchise. The seaport was given a name (Puerto Dorado), updated lighting, remastered vocal tracks for each character, and a full musical underscore, something noticeably absent in the original attraction. Now, from the Well scene onward, an instrumental of “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me)” plays in a cheerful arrangement to match Hans Zimmer’s score from the films.

dQrdc5QIFjrPk_7uAI6FibgLPsWhx7eydVgv4bS6QHJdYM43JZwnaTehobLed53PWK_Y6LNYvFI6dcsjCODerj0xgn4iqXx-WFWXbOzu4OnOD0Nyy4aUzcSJexuvA7gYTz_aAlxW

Our bateaux drifts into the town’s bustling marketplace (“mercado”), where an impromptu auction is taking place. “AUCTION - SURRENDER YER LOOT,” a banner reads. A pirate Auctioneer (Corey Burton) is in the process of selling off the captured townspeople’s most prized possessions and goods. His female cohort, Redd, a sultry redhead pirate of questionable repute, keeps the drunken spectators across the way in check with her rifle.

The Auctioneer extols the value of a plump aristocratic woman’s family jewels. The drunken bidders across the waterway loudly and clearly make known their preference for Redd, and not the items on the bloc. A stern-faced henchman fires a rifle to silence the hecklers, but it does little good as the Auctioneer continues his sales pitch in an effort to unload his stolen inventory. Various livestock watch the scene, often spooked by the sporadic gunfire.

The aristocratic townsfolk are roped in a line behind Redd and have brought all their belongings forth, including a grandfather clock, a Renaissance painting, a marble bust, and chickens. One woman sobs into a handkerchief, while another struggles to hold the marble bust in her frail arms. Redd holds her rifle in one arm, and the rope connecting the captured townsfolk in the other.

AUCTIONEER: Weigh anchor now, ye swabbies, what be I offered for these baubles and beads?
BIDDER 1: (Mockingly) Baubles and beads?!
AUCTIONEER: (To woman) Shift yer cargo, dearie… Make ‘em sparkle!
BIDDER 1: We want the redhead!
REDD: Belay there, ya filthy swab!
BIDDER 1: Pleeeeeease?
REDD: I’m not fer sale, bilge rat! (Fires her gun. Animals chatter)
BIDDERS: We want the redhead! (Chanting) We want the redhead!
GUNMAN: Avast there! (Fires. Animals make noise)
AUCTIONEER: And now, ye bilge rats - do I hear six? Who makes it six?
BIDDER 2: Six it be! Six bottles of rum! (Another pirate laughs)
AUCTIONEER: I’m not scrounging fer rum, it be gold I’m after! (To REDD) Spook these fools, ya brazen wench! No need for restless shoutin’.
REDD: Ya best be quittin’ yer bellyachin’, maties. (Fires her gun. Animals spooked)
BIDDER 2: Put the redhead up, come on now.
BIDDERS: We want the redhead! We want the redhead!
GUNMAN 2: Quiet, ya scum! (Fires. Animals make noise)

The infamous “Auction” scene wasn’t always this way.

Originally, the pirates weren’t bidding on surrendered goods, but instead on captured women of all ages, shapes, and sizes. The Auctioneer extolled the virtues of the pleasantly plump and positively beaming maiden, while the drunken bidders across the way loudly made known their clear preference for the next lot on the auction bloc - the sultry redhead. Claude Coats recalled Walt’s apprehension at the idea of the scene. “‘This will be alright, won’t it?’ He was a little doubtful of auctioning off the girls. Was that quite ‘Disney’ or not?

Changing times called for changing scenes. After fifty years, a new generation of Imagineers felt they needed to make changes to keep pace with the evolving sensibilities of their audience. The current scene debuted in both U.S. versions of the attraction in 2018. “Whether I like it or not doesn’t matter,” Alice Davis said of a previous update to the attraction. “Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is best for the show - and that’s what they did.”

OX1k8The6YF1fz02olGi3VHSXEj_gK1E0a6JiAwAUXNXqDjq1JdHsF8kKO4Wwj3IMFu1NtZgZC0UDtJYg6Ny_6sByZ0eDsJ6Kk4qoHbEtARLSeBq74CmguICOJacjZWwW5Nzz2hN
Our bateaux drifts into the heart of town, where pirates are now invading homes in search of loot. An ominous-looking group of scalawags examine a treasure map at a table, a near-direct lift of a Marc Davis concept for the original Pirate wax museum. The pirates don’t speak - instead, they communicate through inaudible grunts and groans, as if they are mumbling words in secret. The meanest of the group “tip-toes” his knife along the map, while the portly Henry Morgan lookalike falls asleep between looks. Meanwhile, greedy renegades and maidens on turntables go 'round and 'round in circles. The men, making off with antiques and heirlooms, are being chased by the women who wield pitchforks, brooms, and other makeshift weapons. Two buccaneers holding either end of a trunk are chased by a heavy-set woman brandishing a rolling pin! A flock of chickens even pursue one another ‘round and ‘round a fountain.

cBKk0ZB9n56uhBwJvkTy5znQgUVsucyJQH2che2Hlvk7u1O5cLQ3oSlHBpPsHuL3qjcjEn6pb07sR919s9F7TqOf30XhwIR65MVRzubt6iPVLeersZ3Sse5Y1zXKP7Od9FFZhAu_

A deliriously Pooped Pirate (Corey Burton once again), already drunk and worn out from the raid, sits next to a barrel brandishing a treasure map and a key. The lid of the barrel intermittently opens to reveal Captain Jack Sparrow from the film franchise, peering over the Pooped Pirate’s shoulder for a glimpse at the treasure map. An adjacent dog barks at Jack, causing him to duck back down.

“Oh, it’s the treasure map for sure, and no mistake. And by thunder, that scoundrel Cap’n Jack Sparrow will never lay eyes on it—nor this here key neither, ha-har. (DOG barks.) Quiet! Ha-har, fooled him, I did, by gum! Search all ya want, Cap’n Jack Sparrow—you’ll never find the treasure without a look at this here map, and this lovely key. Hahahaha! (DOG barks.) Easy boy. Here I be—holdin’ the treasure map, and the key as well. What I wouldn’t give to see the look on Cap’n Jack Sparrow’s face when he hears tell ’tis only me what’s got the goods, haha! (DOG barks.) Keep still! I’m studyin’ me map! (DOG barks.)

By 2006, Jack Sparrow had become so identifiable with the Pirates of the Caribbean name that his inclusion in the attraction seemed inevitable. An Audio-Animatronics caricature of Depp’s Sparrow in the Marc Davis “style” would blend in with the classic attraction’s cartoon cavalry of buccaneers. Even so, his small inclusion in the attraction would negate a problematic scene once more…

ilQNkCIpVAfVRvbCmUXWvy_yOmSk9l3wt-B6_YxuheHpwwz8PW0yjm2-IKaJIvyIK88Li7gton8EYN5bjvxATsKln39ejynRAXVzssL3Gmi3HA-ORSuGYvimJJZwATFkBIhiknHz

Originally, the pirates weren’t chasing after loot; they were looking for love in all the wrong places. The Pooped Pirate dangled a frilly petticoat as he asked passing guests if they had seen its frightened owner, none too delicately suggesting that he was willing to share if they helped him find her. In the background, the pirates were chasing attractive women, not the other way around. The sole exception was a heavy-set woman who chased a pirate obviously not that desperate. For thirty years, the scene remained. Imagineers felt they needed to make some changes to the Chase scene, and changes they made in 1997.

The pirates were now making off with nothing more than an innocent snack, and it was the vengeful female cooks who were doing the chasing. The Pooped Pirate of ‘97 brandished a turkey leg rather than a petticoat, and sat next to a barrel asking after an errant piece of fish. The lid of the barrel opened to reveal a cat holding the bones of the fish in question, and not a frightened female. Cap’n Jack would replace the cat less than a decade later, and the Pooped Pirate would be updated once more. In 2006, the food was removed entirely, and loot was now the object of the pirates’ desires. Also in 2006, the ominous buccaneers examining the treasure map replaced the first turntable vignette following the Auction scene, a fitted tribute to Marc Davis and the attraction’s roots as a wax museum; though the small Rogue’s Gallery museum in New Orleans Square still encapsulates this concept.

WWdiTjtBP0iLGinzYpBPUMXNOuTPYXuDJ3whmmAiuXJ-wBfmdiFIQX3aMzxDOdVzQasqRzYUb60QuhGR0ISgUCdz7qi9amOUrWJF4gMOe_DLCyJqQcNK-M2fgLxKpQEiAnsCsSm5

The real stars of the scene are a pair of sword-fighting swashbucklers straight out of an Errol Flynn movie, as a noble townsman sword fights with one of the more agile, younger pirates; a weeping maiden looks on. While the duelists initially elicited all the expected gasps and “How’d they do that?” queries from the audience when they first premiered in the Disneyland Paris version of the attraction in 1992, it wasn’t until 2015 that they made their California debut for the Park’s 60th Anniversary. The duelists and their maiden replaced the turntable situated nearest the Pooped Pirate, which once belonged to the heavy-set woman and her two men. The three characters were relocated to a different turntable, and the pirate and maiden they replaced were retired altogether.

Across the waterway, an inebriated brigand, “Old Bill,” as he calls himself, does his best to get some stray cats to join him for a spot of rum. Passing beneath a bridge, we pull alongside some classic Marc Davis mischief. Floating rum bottles surround the bateaux.

t_8TjkGxRPkw52HszN3yRWLdLsYZJUTxisxH5Z4WTEFhKhr3U6cR3kaATN8jQCamdZ3NlqNaaxjmWk7f9wj1H3guXvafR3Ub3E12Yv9Hqf7zVC-hltTe2rtkyMUxka1GXRqhHE4C

A starboard dinghy (small boat) has begun to sink from the weight of the excessive rum bottles on board. The sad-faced man at the oars is already waist-deep underwater, while his drunken comrade sits in a precarious fashion on the skyward bow, singing “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me)” between hiccups and firing his pistol in every which way. Slightly further ashore, a scalawag has fallen asleep at the base of a rum barrel “mountain,” bullet holes having ruptured the barrels, sending a steady stream of rum onto his shoulders and into his overfilled cup.

We pull alongside a stable on the port side, where three pirate musicians are singing “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me)” as a dog and a donkey bark and bray backup respectively. One member of the trio plays a guitar and another a concertina to accompany their shipmates, who sing their anthem and cackle in a drunken stupor as the town burns to the ground around them. Two inebriated brigands cling to each other for support, one barely holding onto what could very well be the offending torch, as they stagger to the music. Nearby, another blotto buccaneer clutches a lamppost, the only thing keeping him from tumbling to his doom. Behind them, the horizon glows an ominous reddish-orange as flames engulf the town. We can feel actual heat on our skin.

unJxQp9AYkOnwKuxBommp9J2Vt-m81ut31KiUWFF3IMZXVPFdAjMEc2SH-catKL5eNIuzyeD3TPWD-kSiw7WCy2dG4Xpk39FLw3wS0IOT1wkP4PVVjzAT6dJ2C8eJWv8zeyj6JoW

Below the burning skyline, we glimpse another dinghy filled to overflowing with stolen rum. Though this boat remains afloat, the torch-wielding, peg-legged pirate inside sings with the uncanny basso profundo of voice artist Thurl Ravenscroft. His comrade takes an endless pull from a jug of rum. Nearby, one enterprising pirate attempts an escape in a wooden rowboat of questionable seaworthiness. He clutches everything he can carry and then some, his arms filled with an unwieldy treasure chest and other valuables - even his head piled high with pilfered hats. He has one foot on the dock and one in the boat, and the uneven weight causes him to teeter perilously between the two. Just across the waterway, another buccaneer takes a swig of rum with a monkey on his shoulder (the monkey also taking a swig), while nearby, a rum-swilling souse lies in the mud with a trio of sleepy, squealing pigs, their legs twitching in soporific contentment.

2jj6QjqSQzCG1rSWKaAZTDmz9O3cDtaCbK60VUnZpZsTGqxAq_TmBY5ItngBpz7x30yIJgg8U9YIFDL1QGL7i3cwhaOx-be6DiMmfwAbGe6Osh_gXpVYpXisq72J0es5o-OxSJTA

The Burning Town is a fitting climax to the grandest theme park spectacle Walt Disney and his Imagineers had ever created. We escape beneath a bridge, which looks to be the reinforced sewer entrance to the underground parts of the city. A buccaneer clutching a jug of rum sits atop the bridge, one hairy leg dangling above our heads. A parrot has perched next to him, mimicking his incoherent companion as he giggles and sings, “Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me.” We disappear into the darkness of the underground tunnel…

If one looks closely into the timbers of the burning town, they might spot an illustrated wanted poster for the dreaded Captain Hector Barbossa, illustrated and written in a style appropriate to the 18th century time period. It reads:

ADVERTENCIA!
POR PIRATERIA Y SAQUEO

HECTOR BARBOSSA

REWARD

will be paid to any person who can surrender
The Aforesaid Person
TO
Magistrate Carlos

DEAD or ALIVE

MUERTO O VIVO

yj_ekOdFZWqB4tt-8cS1tn9c41kD-vzwgkpsJg622T4WAtx0xJeqldJbd4yUR22toBpDUU4iJ8LtvFasO0J3WlO6WM2yT15DmCa-A2UNwQeOyA5PDsrP7Ua6WcnFLlbdQXEO32-r

“Here, give us the keys, ya scrawny little beast.” “Can’t ya reach any further, ya stub-winged bilge rat?” “Grab his tail!” “Now easy, boy…”

Drifting into the foundations of the town, we pass jail cells that are threatened from the looming flame. With the pirate invasion well underway, it’s a full house, and the prisoners are growing increasingly desperate to escape as the blaze creeps closer. A playful dog holds the key to their freedom in his mouth, literally, and the pinched pirates make every attempt to lure him within reach. The dog is having none of it, however, cocking his head inquisitively and wagging his tail in response to their repeated calls for him.

We then glide beneath a network of charred and burning timbers, part of a rickety wooden support structure that helps hold up the town. Tottering columns creak and moan as hungry flames continue to devour them. Smoldering crossbeams sway perilously back and forth on the verge of collapse, threatening to sink the bateaux at any moment. This passage, like the haunted tunnel-transition from the Grotto to the sea battle, is actually a transition tunnel through which we return from the Pirates show building outside the berm and back into Disneyland. When we emerge in the next scene, we are once again inside the basement that was once meant to hold the entire attraction. But the attack isn’t over yet

UrBiXgfTFIAl0P13NWyqiLL4JW9y8ldVVkX0Jpl_HR0Z2eN3rFac2gBDnauoWhWM5yj9EDftgQYPHFJ6q3qfHs-z0fj7QHlsFBQxUIFgn2WH96mx-g-qrsdBiMwEtfVqJ_tI_u8r

EtJ4YUCp5HclkizkSW9KxiUitHKViazc8jKkl9SnHNJAT-Qmf6M2Dsnp6BtXor8sdvD2tenUTAv3RzfMDo3veJPA2LqE1eTreOE56wol-DeFNNGVyKFneVQgBEdwix8EO7Rsj1YL

Still more pirates have penetrated the town’s subterranean arsenal, where they find themselves surrounded by a seemingly limitless supply of Spanish armor, dynamite and black powder. Better yet, this same arsenal holds the famed treasure room of Puerto Dorado - their criminal search has literally paid off.

Two guards sit bound and gagged in the center of the room filled to the rafters with treasure chests, precious gems and jewels, priceless works of art, and other assorted valuables. Meanwhile, the giddy brigands in the foreground are falling all over themselves in a drunken reverie, taking target practice at the powder kegs and ammunition crates. Three kegs of explosives suspended from a boom hang over the canal, directly above our heads. Bullets ricochet all over the smoldering arsenal as we run a potentially explosive gauntlet. Oblivious to the danger, the trigger-happy hooligans laugh and sing themselves silly, too presently drunk to make off with their prize.

One pirate, however, has fared a bit more coherently than the rest. Jack Sparrow appears once more, quietly bagging treasure behind the captured guards. In a “blink or you’ll miss it” cameo, the uncanny caricature of Depp’s character cautiously examines his drunken comrades from afar, presumably wishing to take the treasure for himself - and unnoticed.

Somehow, we make it safely through, and begin an impossible ascent up a waterfall. Two hulking pirates struggle to make one last ditch-effort to escape with their loot, an enormous sack overflowing with all manner of gems, including a formal portrait of a famous, make that infamous, pirate captain. The strain is more than they can bear, however, and their escape has come to a grunting standstill. As we continue up the waterfall, the music fades, and we pass scattered remains of the cursed treasure, along with the skeletal remnants of still another buccaneer and his mate who had tried unsuccessfully to make off with it. The glowing eyes of bats and rats blink at us from distant caves and catacombs as we ascend forward and up in time and space, heading back to the relative safety of New Orleans Square. “Dead men tell no tales,” rings out intermittently and ominously.

Our bateaux reaches the top of the waterfall and spills into a rounded canal that wraps around the sandbar we observed as we entered the manor house seemingly hundreds of years earlier. The squawking seagull welcomes our return to “reality,” and we disembark back at Lafitte’s Landing. We proceed down a path adjacent to the Blue Bayou plantation house, which exits out onto Royal Street and Pieces of Eight, a dark storeroom of ill-gotten goods, obtained legally and otherwise, we find the spoils of a pirate’s life for sale - fool's coins and gems, plastic swords, hook-for-hand replacements, telescopes, eye patches, movie merchandise, and more! A green parrot in a pirate hat, sporting a peg leg and a tattoo of an anchor on his shaven chest, keeps his only eye on the merchandise as we shop. “First Mate Jenkins,” this “tough guy” feathered-proprietor, squawks and whistles from above the register, often caught singing: "Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me! Squawk!"

eT7PG7pc478BFHzK1R3TrHjK_L7KoPCIyoZoB1IITm1NtC2k5Y9fl16atC4q7G6bG54_WSQe9G2yoRcUDpfFYLp4Fu_eBEkttGpBPSVZW7Yv-YcdBt7neKWkxWHUmGu7ZtQboXyT

Among the assignments Walt gave Marc Davis when he first came to WED in 1961 was a wax museum in the basement of what was then still called the Blue Bayou Mart. The walk-through attraction would showcase the dark side of the Delta City, an immersive journey through the eighteenth-century Caribbean islands. A pathway would wind through a series of elaborate tableaux. The pirates themselves would be displayed in dynamic poses doing what they do best - the raucous pursuit of rum, women, and loot.

The wax museum idea was abandoned. “Rogues' Gallery” became a ride-through attraction with an Audio-Animatronics cast in the lasting Pirates of the Caribbean. However, that same 1997 refurbishment that brought food to the Chase scene also brought the wax museum concept back from extinction; unused retail space became the small but mysterious Rogues’ Gallery, a walk-through exhibit and arcade adjacent to the Pieces of Eight gift shop. Anne Bonny and Mary Read, James Hook, Long John Silver, Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, Black Bart, Calico Jack, and Sir Henry Morgan are among the terrors who find their legacy (in wax) in the darkened gallery.

In this hall of infamy, iconic cutthroats are united under one roof, their crimes detailed through placards, painted backdrops, and humored narration, as spoken from the mouth of a phantom mariner. The “mini” museum holds one-of-a-kind, pirate-themed arcade games in beautiful wooden cabinets with rope edges. Such games include "Freebooter Shooter," a shoot-em-up game with drunken pirate-targets, and "Whack-a-Croc," featuring the crocodile that follows Captain Hook. Fortune Red, a mechanical pirate soothsayer with a disgruntled grin and finger pointed at an "X Marks the Spot" on an unfurled treasure map, offers to tell our fortune at the drop of a coin - no doubloons necessary.

Can you spot all the differences from the version of Pirates that we got in the real world? First person to list all major differences gets a special sneak peek at an unannounced WestCOT attraction.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Okay, update time!

How is everyone doing? Is everyone okay mentally/medically? Obviously, this is a really trying time, and I want to make sure everyone's alright. I'd love to hear from my readers just for my own sanity knowing you're all okay.

Second, I should begin work on my updated Haunted Mansion this week. It won't take me too long, as it will reuse much of the literal "skeleton" from when I first did a Mirror Disneyland HM last year. I'd love to hear some feedback on Pirates in the meantime!

Of course, we'll get right back into WestCOT after Mansion. I have big ideas for the World Showcase equivalent (Four Corners of the World), and can't wait to get started on them. One ride in particular is going to completely get you off-guard.

I think my biggest question is, apart from Soarin', what would you like to see in the Wonders of Earth Pavilion? Obviously, Soarin' will be included, but what else apart from that would you like to see? So far the Wonders of Science has held three E-Ticket attractions - World of Motion, Test Track, and Spacewalk Journey, and the Wonders of Life has held two - Journey Into Imagination and Body Wars, with several lower-ticket attractions to boot in both pavilions.

Any thoughts, requests, or ideas? Let me know!

DisneyManOne

Okay, update time!

How is everyone doing? Is everyone okay mentally/medically? Obviously, this is a really trying time, and I want to make sure everyone's alright. I'd love to hear from my readers just for my own sanity knowing you're all okay.

Second, I should begin work on my updated Haunted Mansion this week. It won't take me too long, as it will reuse much of the literal "skeleton" from when I first did a Mirror Disneyland HM last year. I'd love to hear some feedback on Pirates in the meantime!

Of course, we'll get right back into WestCOT after Mansion. I have big ideas for the World Showcase equivalent (Four Corners of the World), and can't wait to get started on them. One ride in particular is going to completely get you off-guard.

I think my biggest question is, apart from Soarin', what would you like to see in the Wonders of Earth Pavilion? Obviously, Soarin' will be included, but what else apart from that would you like to see? So far the Wonders of Science has held three E-Ticket attractions - World of Motion, Test Track, and Spacewalk Journey, and the Wonders of Life has held two - Journey Into Imagination and Body Wars, with several lower-ticket attractions to boot in both pavilions.

Any thoughts, requests, or ideas? Let me know!
I admit, as unfamiliar as I am with Disneyland, I'm still a little frosty on how Disneyland's Pirates is set up, but from what I've seen, your ride-through was very well done. I also admit that I'm already starting to develop ideas for Mirror Walt Disney World...and I want to include Pirates, but the question remains: how would that interefere with Western River Expedition (which, in this Mirror WDW, would be an opening-day attraction of Frontierland)?

As for Wonders of Earth, I'd like to see something similar to what Tony Baxter planned for The Land at EPCOT. For my EPCOT II concept, since Soarin' is located elsewhere in my resort, I was considering using the original "hot-air balloon through different biomes" concept from Baxter's ideas to serve as something of a replacement for where Soarin' would be.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I admit, as unfamiliar as I am with Disneyland, I'm still a little frosty on how Disneyland's Pirates is set up, but from what I've seen, your ride-through was very well done. I also admit that I'm already starting to develop ideas for Mirror Walt Disney World...and I want to include Pirates, but the question remains: how would that interefere with Western River Expedition (which, in this Mirror WDW, would be an opening-day attraction of Frontierland)?

As for Wonders of Earth, I'd like to see something similar to what Tony Baxter planned for The Land at EPCOT. For my EPCOT II concept, since Soarin' is located elsewhere in my resort, I was considering using the original "hot-air balloon through different biomes" concept from Baxter's ideas to serve as something of a replacement for where Soarin' would be.

Our Pirates is set up exactly the same as yours in WDW; only, we have two drops, the Blue Bayou introduction, and more cave scenes. We also have the arsenal shootout and an uphill waterfall at the end. I added in several scenes to the Mirror Disneyland version, including more pirates in the Burning Town, the hanging man in the caves, the fat pirate being pushed to sea, the floating pirate on the barrel, the pirates reading the treasure map, a new version of the IRL updated Auction scene, the DLP sword-fighters, and a mermaid skeleton. I also downsized the movie tie-ins significantly. Jack has been limited to two appearances, both non-speaking, and Davy Jones, Blackbeard and Barbossa are nowhere to be seen; although Barbossa is referenced twice in a wanted poster and on a wall painting. Even so, Jack Sparrow is adapted into the signature style of Marc Davis to better blend with the rest of the pirates. To me, the beauty of the original POTC comes from it didn't need a cohesive and detailed storyline to remain successful. All it needed was pirates being pirates, and I think I accomplished that with this version. Jack's inclusion would be inevitable in any universe, but at least he isn't overwhelming the script and story here.

I'm thinking the same route for WestCOT. Baxter's Land pavilion is just too good to not use. I'm just trying to think of what else to include. Kitchen Kabaret is out for sure.

DisneyManOne

Our Pirates is set up exactly the same as yours in WDW; only, we have two drops, the Blue Bayou introduction, and more cave scenes. We also have the arsenal shootout and an uphill waterfall at the end. I added in several scenes to the Mirror Disneyland version, including more pirates in the Burning Town, the hanging man in the caves, the fat pirate being pushed to sea, the floating pirate on the barrel, the pirates reading the treasure map, a new version of the IRL updated Auction scene, the DLP sword-fighters, and a mermaid skeleton. I also downsized the movie tie-ins significantly. Jack has been limited to two appearances, both non-speaking, and Davy Jones, Blackbeard and Barbossa are nowhere to be seen; although Barbossa is referenced twice in a wanted poster and on a wall painting. Even so, Jack Sparrow is adapted into the signature style of Marc Davis to better blend with the rest of the pirates. To me, the beauty of the original POTC comes from it didn't need a cohesive and detailed storyline to remain successful. All it needed was pirates being pirates, and I think I accomplished that with this version. Jack's inclusion would be inevitable in any universe, but at least he isn't overwhelming the script and story here.

I'm thinking the same route for WestCOT. Baxter's Land pavilion is just too good to not use. I'm just trying to think of what else to include. Kitchen Kabaret is out for sure.
I always thought a nutrition-based show would work best in Wonders of Life, which is already about proper body health. It still kinda baffles me that Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks still ran in The Land for years while Wonders of Life existed across the way. And BTW, isn't it eerily coincidental that Food Rocks closed around the time Wonders of Life was made seasonal?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
With Jason Surrell’s The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic and Chef Mayhem’s fantastic DoomBuggies.com as a reference guide and an inspiration for the writings to come, join me now for a tour through the boundless realm of the supernatural - a glimpse into my all-time favorite Disney Attraction: The Haunted Mansion.

This being “Mirror Disneyland,” the changes from the Disneyland original are more than evident. Best be on the lookout!

Now, as they say, “look alive,” and we’ll continue our little tour…

The Haunted Mansion

cyHKN8NR1iB_tQBs_xtLp0w1V6aWzLcmBEO-OIqsMTGruPmRJnWnVDwiZXqD3oI6XyjLWnA3U1eoE6cAyS5tIzCQejmmwWtzid2ciTq89jIHijXZpyTgF7wTPybUsrQMFwL1Q0pU

Have you ever seen a haunted house? You know the kind I mean…

That old dark house that’s usually at the end of a dimly lit street. The owners haven’t been seen for years; no one really knows why. The windows are dark and silent, yet an ornate candelabra creeps past, veiled in shadow. The gardens and grounds are groomed and maintained, though there’s nary a groundskeeper in sight. There’s a high vine-covered fence around the property. Is it there to keep somebody out, or is it there to keep something inside?

It’s a house that people avoid walking past at night. Strange sounds come from within the walls, and it’s said that eerie lights have been seen both in the attic windows and in the graveyard at the side of the house… Our story revolves around this mysterious Mansion…

ZyNezy9Z98f67HBUyPZz8G62Xejt5QXJLTo9rqQX7nEyTZaxg_FfKkigLhVc_GD6zFJ9_d5WNXMjHLlSvlmXhGSmZmDYQA6Fd4IGS0xlEnafMExZ_-cQ-kxkX9Eo4ht9j84I5avb

Our adventure begins in New Orleans Square, a picturesque relic of the Delta City as it appeared well over a century ago. Before us: twin brick columns kept beneath the watchful eye of snarling, stone lions. On either column: a bronze shield in which the title, “The Haunted Mansion,” is engraved. Atop either shield, we see the horned head of a phantom frozen in a scream amidst writhing hair and ribbon, all carved from bronze. The ethereal melody of an antique music box calls for us to travel across the threshold and into the lonesome yet meticulously landscaped estate of this old “house on the hill.”

The old antebellum plantation house has been left as spectacular as it was before the untimely deaths of its mysterious owners. Devoted groundskeepers abide by a distant relative’s wish to “Take care of the outside, and let the ghosts take care of the inside.” The walls of this mansion hold within them a treasure trove of acquired antiquities, rare artifacts, priceless paintings, and other valuable, cherished works of art, most commonly of a macabre design or descent.

F0K0Y0j4uDi3jSjmHivaWa5sFg6Ss4HFE_8XhOc4ydf81I_KQNW6-5T6sCGKWoUHi4bjMiQNtaEHtaFVHSIGkHH7WnqD8bf0z-FG2cGUhny2slqD3RVTgTB3UbigQqun6Jg8BUIs

One reporter wrote in 1969, “New Orleans Square takes you and the kids back to when cotton was king and pirates lurked in the bayous. The river beyond is like a time machine; it takes you back in history to sternwheelers and the planters who owned the big plantations.... Up on the hill above the river is a Haunted Mansion inhabited by long-dead New Orleans witches and vampires and headless medieval knights - and 999 other ghoulish citizens.” In 1961, a handbill passed out at Disneyland’s Main Entrance announced New Orleans Square and the Haunted Mansion would open two years later in 1963. According to the handbill, “Gathering the world’s greatest collection of ghosts is no easy task. Most people are kind of reluctant to admit they know any! But Walt Disney has had his talent scouts searching for several years...and in 1963 the Haunted Mansion will be filled with famous and infamous residents.

1963 materialized on schedule, but the Mansion was unopened. Pulled this way and that over the decade, the Imagineers were forced to let the Mansion sit vacant along the banks of the Rivers of America in Frontierland for six years.

After eighteen years of on-again, off-again development and six years of anticipation created by the empty house on the hill, the Haunted Mansion’s doors finally creaked open on August 9, 1969. The attraction was an instant hit and has remained a Disneyland favorite for more than fifty years. The Haunted Mansion became the first major attraction designed by the Imagineers after Walt’s passing. Today it is a classic attraction in almost every Magic Kingdom park around the world. Millions of guests have been thrilled and chilled by Walt’s foreboding concept of a retirement home for 999 happy haunts. Yet, as our Ghost Host will soon remind us, “there’s room for a thousand… Any volunteers? Hmm...?

THE GROUNDS

d0uMsSdJRmhToDCuM_N2wInm-UgK9cotGp2HulM46XWCETiOS6U4Kw-xyOhA110t_YXMApXNR2vPAj8guCPZoNIiFffM3D8zNao5ii8kh6Qx8PkMcgQSAGzHHOtI0cFNYOJk6Dry

A chill runs down our spine as we draw near the entrance to the eerie estate.

The dramatic Grecian columns on the front of the house hearken to a distant time and memory - at any moment, a fair maiden might come running out onto the veranda and between the columns, awaiting the embrace of her beloved. But no one comes.

The melody of the music box draws near. We look to the second-floor balcony and find a lone rocking chair gently tilting on its own. An ornate music box on an adjacent table comes to a grinding halt. An invisible someone rises from the chair and loudly walks over to the table. The music box cranks, seemingly on its own, and the music resumes. The invisible force returns to the rocking chair, even humming along here and there.

In his book Designing Disney, Imagineer John Hench wrote of the Mansion's benign picture of Southern gentility: “We wanted to create an imposing Southern-style house that would look old, but not in ruins. So we painted it an off-white color with dark, cold blue-grey accents in shadowed areas such as the porch ceilings and wrought iron details. To accentuate the eerie, deserted feeling, I had the underside of exterior details painted in the same dark color, creating exaggerated, unnaturally deep cast shadows. Since we associate shadows with things hidden or half-hidden, the shadow treatment enhanced the structure's otherworldliness." Hanging plants and 19th-century furniture fill the length of the wrought-iron balcony. A telescope looks out onto the Rivers of America. The weather vane atop the cupola is a sailing ship in reference to Bartholomew Gore, a murderous sea captain who is rumored to have built the Mansion. Carefully groomed plants and vegetation maintain a proper, well-tended appearance, though still offering a hint of sorrow. A manicured lawn sets in front of the Mansion, adorned with sections of Mondo Grass, offering a loose, overgrown effect around the planters and lawn decor. “Urns” of Medusa’s Head, Weeping Mulberry, Pumpkin Leaves, and Weeping Juniper exemplify a mournful appearance, as if the plant-life itself is in mourning. A walkway wanders through the lawn, from the front gate to the porch of the Mansion, with a fork heading off along the side of the house.

“Our house had a tragic and bloody history of unlucky owners who died sudden and violent deaths, which resulted in their unhappy ghosts remaining behind to fulfill the uncompleted missions of their lives. We started the work of restoration as soon as it arrived at Disneyland, but strangely enough, the work of each day was destroyed during the night. It mysteriously remains always night within the house. So we recommend you stay close together during your visit, and please, above all, obey your guide’s instructions…”

- Ken Anderson Creative Treatment, March 1957

tvryIDeP6S8lPAVR2_J8qQroYD-xOR8BPEE4sJbTThWxvILnIdWl22rbgcCJSgCDBU96eRWNkUB4oLZvBlLzjnH6Oa5gs5Nf8t0WDrwBKRUM9QaJ_wiwMmsi73uFw3mcBXsn9q7c

What many thought was an urban legend is actually true - there was, indeed, a secret pet cemetery hidden in an enclosed garden at the side of the house. The original was located on the right side, near what is now Splash Mountain. This hidden gem proved to be such a hit that the original was removed, reproduced and expanded to the main queue, creating a permanent pet cemetery in 1993. The Mansion’s dear departed animals include…

FREDDIE THE BAT
WE’LL MISS YOU

(A Bullfrog)

OL’ FLYBAIT
HE CROAKED

AUGUST 9, 1969

ROSIE

SHE WAS A POOR LITTLE PIG
BUT SHE BOUGHT THE FARM

(A Dog)

BUDDY
OUR FRIEND

UNTIL THE END

(A Skunk)
BELOVED LILAC

LONG ON CURIOSITY…
SHORT ON COMMON SCENTS

(A Poodle)
FIFI

(An Unnamed Cat & Several Birds)

(An Unnamed Goldfish)

(An Unnamed, Cymbal-Crashing Monkey)

IN MEMORY OF MY RAT
WHOM I LOVED
NOW HE RESIDES IN

THE REALMS UP ABOVE

HERE LIES

LONG LEGGED JEB
GOT TANGLED UP IN

HIS VERY OWN WEB

HERE LIES MY SNAKE
WHOSE FATAL MISTAKE
WAS FRIGHTENING
THE GARDENER
WHO CARRIED A RAKE

OUR DUCK
“SKIMMER”
SHOULDN’T HAVE VISITED
THE NEIGHBORS

AT DINNER

BELOVED RAVEN LENORE,
WITH US “NEVERMORE.”

JANUARY 29, 1845

cz7q7OOsMTyYKEKquEpZdLLLjmtNYKw-keoMTU28QngFUV4_7Yd2EGaUEL1D5eXwnOKWdyTrNYtiiu9eAn3i7-mYHWHbEnxqelBj-G-1VBRTfYlUS965j8jp6a5NkY0kDY9IuV_I

The Grounds & Gardens wander through a sizable graveyard at the side of the house. Originally, a much smaller collection of tombstones made up a “family plot,” X. Atencio’s macabre salute to the Imagineers who built the Mansion. The frightfully funny epitaphs and headstones were enlarged in number and the queue was expanded over time to meet demand, with new headstones and walkways added in 1971, 1993, 2002, 2005, 2011, and 2016, respectively. An ethereal wind howls through this ancient boneyard, oft-broken by the omnipresent "orchestra" of nocturnal creatures - wolves, crickets, owls, bats - you name it, you hear it.

There isn’t a soul in sight - only the buried inhabitants of this bizarre, sacred ground. The crypts and monuments contrast with the pristine, otherwise benign facade of the adjacent manor house. No music - just the wind and the creatures.

AfXLmr6tn2x1jWThDZg0KyQPlEVJHEMk4EsVdUbtNERtemFUeKS7gJbQ6qLgMNKvsz63Or_aM6xJZxh4qNXiHGBjIlbFo4Owe0fMkTsQocrpBQuEV-hCcUSVk6IVZeju0R5YjINC

First we encounter the dysfunctional and sinister Dread Family: big-game hunter Bertie, honorable Aunt Florence, greedy Uncle Jacob, conniving Cousin Maude, and the spookiest twins since The Shining, Wellington and Forsythia. Each killed off one of the others in a plot to inherit the family fortune, and each monument - a bust in their comic likeness - features an epitaph and a cryptogram that offer a clue as to who killed whom.

BERTIE
Avid hunter and expert shot,

In the end that’s what he got.
(Shot by Aunt Florence)

AUNT FLORENCE

Never did a dishonorable
Deed, yet found face down

In canary seed.
(Killed by the Twins)

UNCLE JACOB

Greed was the poison he
Had swallowed. He went
First; the others followed.
His killer’s face he surely
Knew; now try to discover

Who killed who.
(Poisoned by Bertie)

THE TWINS
FORSYTHIA & WELLINGTON
Departed life while in their
Beds, with identical bumps

On identical heads.
(Killed by Cousin Maude)

COUSIN MAUDE
Our sleeping beauty,
Who never awoke, the night her

Dreams went up in smoke.
(Killed by Uncle Jacob)

A vast collection of stone coffins and large tombstones dot the manicured gardens. Each morning, a fresh rose is placed on the tombstone of “Master Gracey.” A stone angel weeps at the plot of “Priscilla Gore,” taken from this life far too soon.

MASTER GRACEY
LAID TO REST
NO MOURNING
PLEASE
AT HIS REQUEST
FAREWELL!

PRISCILLA GORE
“AS LONG AS WE
BOTH SHALL LIVE”
1809 - 1835

JASPER JONES
Loyal Manservant, Died 1883
“Kept the Master Happy”

ANNA JONES
Faithful Chambermaid, Died 1884

“Kept the Master Happier”

sith3SLwA_S142PGUMPFhTWnb1_xl8_OJith1mVjjCFOPKTTA60RgRmflOMUeAU0hwlSClLab8HZ4poSdVWvm9KzFiZQFEg1YTZlRYdvlIuOyU169ZxNRpaHJKJGmRRJNuT7w5N9

Mary Murphy, 1901 - 1929, “Til Death…

Frank Ballard, 1888 - 1929, ...Do Us Part.”

Ma Ballard, 1850 - 1929, “Over My Dead Body”

IN MEMORY OF
OUR PATRIARCH
DEAR DEPARTED
Grandpa Marc

At Peaceful Rest Lies
BROTHER CLAUDE
PLANTED HERE
BENEATH THIS SOD

DEAR DEPARTED
BROTHER DAVE
HE CHASED A BEAR
INTO A CAVE

HERE RESTS
WATHEL R. BENDER
HE RODE TO GLORY
ON A FENDER
Peaceful Rest

REQUIESCA
Francis Xavier
NO TIME OFF
FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR
RIP

FIRST LADY OF THE OPERA
OUR HAUNTING
Harriet
SEARCHED FOR A TUNE
BUT NEVER COULD CARRY IT

DRINK A TOAST TO
OUR FRIEND
Ken
FILL YOUR GLASS
AND DON’T SAY “WHEN”

A TRAIN
MADE A STAIN
OF ABSENT-MINDED
UNCLE BLAINE
REST IN PIECES

FAREWELL FOREVER,
Mister Frees
YOUR VOICE WILL CARRY
ON THE BREEZE
Hanged October 1, 1871

LORD ANTONIO BAXTER
Died April 12, 1892
A GLORIOUS MUSTACHE
HEAVEN BLESSED
NOW DEAD & ROTTEN,
STILL WELL DRESSED

December 2, 1893
“I Told You I Was Sick”

BROTHER CRUMP
Hanged October 13, 1897
Shot December 10, 1898
Stabbed June 28, 1899
Poisoned March 6, 1900
He’ll Be Back

JACQUES “BAKER” SHRILLMAN
LYNCHED BY A MOB
OF MUSIC LOVERS
“A Wrong Note Was His End”

Here Lies
LEADFOOT FRED
“Danced Too Slow

And Now He’s Dead”

And on one end of the cemetery, at the border of a distant swampland, we find the makeshift, wooden grave markers of a circus tiger and his three victims:

November 13, 1895 - Breakfast Time
(A Sad Clown)

November 13, 1895 - Lunch Time
(The Frightened Ringmaster)

November 13, 1895 - Dinner Time
(A Clumsy Elephant)

November 13, 1915 - Striped with Happiness
After Years of Happy Hunting
(The Grinning Tiger)

bUWh0C_HMZPnG5rIix9Lvow6NOzLnCqnZf_JzuRC6R9vm9tWczXUzsy7VlEdJJwsKBF8tRTBDpAzKvju1XYcoBZJEpIZdaxi8Wuskf_5PTjRsUwK_cezSR5PI7UrQjtKL9mTXV1L

One headstone, which bears the sculpted face of a beautiful young woman, reads:

DEAR SWEET LEOTA, BELOVED BY ALL,
IN REGIONS BEYOND NOW, BUT HAVING A BALL

Not entirely at peace, the sculpture frequently opens her eyes, watching passers-by as they proceed through the cemetery. She then closes her eyes, returning once more to her eternal sleep.

The Foyer

“When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls… Whenever candle lights flicker… Where the air is deathly still… That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.”

YZ0Ti8TPstJE5cMK6IENReCQnIE8A47vGL3oqIAnBmftLuUt_i6iO2F4cgYZgpDezDN3gSJSVwg-Hok9lruzFeXx762FYi7C1YlzXvu5_pMbHwOiqB6DXQpj9IPammizWy1Wkmzv

Having briefly traversed the elegant, but lonesome front porch, a macabre servant of the manor welcomes us inside through a creaking set of front doors…

A short hallway leads into the cold Foyer, a dark chamber dimly illuminated by a cobweb-covered chandelier and a smoldering, dying flame in the lavish fireplace. The wood molding is stained and varnished, giving the room a lush, rich appearance. The elegant wallpaper glows warm with muted color. The Ghost Host, the unseen presence that will escort our tour of the Mansion, begins his ominous narration in this musky Foyer, underscored by “Grim Grinning Ghosts” arranged as a melancholy funeral dirge. The Ghost Host is voiced by Disney regular Paul Frees.

Our attention is drawn to a formal portrait of the master of the house hanging on the wall above the fireplace. As the Ghost Host delivers his infamous narration, the image in the portrait transforms. In an echo of The Picture of Dorian Gray, the subject goes from that of a handsome young man to that of a rotting corpse. The room’s lighting is dramatically sapped of “life” at the conclusion of his transformation - even the wallpaper loses its color. It is a chilling premonition of the Ghost Host’s fate, which we are about to witness firsthand in the coming Portrait Chamber… Contrary to popular belief, the Ghost Host is not the master of the house - Gracey or otherwise - but merely one of the 999 happy haunts.

At the conclusion of the transformation, a panel in the Foyer wall slides open to reveal one of two identical Portrait Chambers.

The Portrait Chamber
(The Stretching Room)

JivQxqHWOIzk8K906sYZU-jsEVuyl3HbV5Dl9WLcVH-7DjZlRAWglMZM6FStKQJOYqQE9cVVSWD2xAsWKfn4r86M4i1oXquCyx39NFf9cDW-AQuNUSA-5jAkusRoxu34aOxbUAzu

In the Portrait Chamber, we see four large paintings of former guests of the Mansion, or at least as they appeared in their “corruptible, mortal state,” which are all Marc Davis originals. Grinning gargoyles wait above each wall panel, holding onto flickering candles, designed to seem as if they are staring at each occupant in this claustrophobic gallery. The portraits are cast in a deep purple and faintly yellow light upon the vertically striped wallpaper. Our Ghost Host continues…

“Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion. I am your Host, your Ghost Host. Our tour begins here… Where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state. Kindly step all the way in please, and make room for everyone. There’s no turning back now…”

A macabre servant of the house bids one final word of friendly warning… “Kindly drag your bodies away from the walls and into the dead center of the room…

Suddenly, the panel slides shut, sealing us inside the octagonal space. The lighting shifts. Without warning, the entire room begins to “stretch,” and the portraits elongate to reveal the comically grim fate of their subjects. The walls creak and groan as the building moves. The Ghost Host’s voice seems to dart and float fluidly around the room with phantasmic echoes and unsettling ambiance.

“Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination - hmm? And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors… (Chuckles) Which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out! (Laughs) Of course, there’s always my way…”

Lightning flashes to reveal a decayed corpse, our Ghost Host, dangling from a hangman’s noose in the cupola high above. The lights wink out. We hear the disquieting fluttering of bats’ wings accompanying a shrill, descending scream - as though the supernatural commotion has disturbed their peaceful slumber.

At the scene’s conclusion, a panel in the wall of each of the two Portrait Chambers slides open to reveal one long, dimly lit corridor. If one listens closely, they might hear the playful, childlike whispers and giggles of the gargoyles urging them to “stay together” and, ultimately, “get out!”

PUvdxa0ClMR7-rY9Y1SEp0QFVDNC2kDPaD5Dd_fDMpsZsDPGTsfESFFhOVpTi2yL4EqxVzhuSKhA9tgEeTDYaNCKErN1WHx8ehcW2zOsS3z8y0wzdcmh5XUMbFo6o-wkQnOI3IK4

The room that stretches was a creative solution to an operational problem. In order to meet the park’s capacity requirements, the attraction was housed in an enormous show building outside Disneyland’s berm. Imagineers needed to move guests below ground to the show building “outside” the park. So, in the Stretching Room, the ceiling remains in place while the floor lowers, taking guests fifteen feet underground to a corridor that transports them under the railroad tracks and into the show building itself. The four “stretching” portraits unfurl to reach their full dimensions, extending from three to eight feet, as the elevator makes its descent. The four portraits, all in which were conceptualized by Marc Davis, “stretch” to reveal a beautiful woman with a parasol on a frayed tightrope above the jaws of an alligator; a middle-aged man holding a document standing on a lit barrel of dynamite in boxer shorts; a smiling elderly woman holding a rose sitting on the tombstone of her (murdered) husband; a confident man in a bowler hat sitting on the shoulders of two frightened men waist-deep in quicksand.

The ceiling is a theatrical scrim, a piece of fabric that is opaque when lit from the front (and painted to look like the chamber’s ceiling) and translucent when lit from behind, in this case by “lightning,” revealing the long-since decayed corpse of the Ghost Host hanging from the previously unseen rafters.

VrRUcFYZqf9N2v2_uDsSk3WAes6YDMmje79o45QMZyMBJa7E20SB9ChYXmwhowtGG7oJOb3GELv-GNOJD1ac1a55dCU0Ywzk-Ps5DUpZfOOdy35z-0fYeMGhprjptawtYMLTpQd0

Imagineers, in 2011, implemented a state-of-the-art three-dimensional audio system for the Portrait Chamber to create the illusion that the Ghost Host is gliding around the room as he delivers his infamous narration. The entire room is now a “sweet spot” for digital surround sound. When the room begins to stretch, a low rumbling emanates from the floor, and the walls begin to moan and groan as guests actually hear and feel the chamber elongating around them. The fluttering bats and whispering gargoyles were added in this same refurbishment.

“Oh, I didn’t mean to frighten you prematurely. The real chills come later. Now, as they say, ‘look alive,’ and we’ll continue our little tour. And let’s all stay together, please.”

The Portrait Corridor & Grand Staircase

f6_Euk430dRl8kaTA-NQeiiEuQBeTOjwlXCIIqz08AdlxBps1rOqzmBAYkKIhtNh8QgQ77lF4HRlShhdRT5jfOl2MTMwISLY5jLowyGWsP_oSckk9iAVoithe13GnuvTxeMCqmQ6

“There are several prominent ghosts who have retired here from creepy old crypts all over the world. Actually, we have 999 happy haunts here - but there’s room for a thousand. Any volunteers? (Laughs) If you insist on lagging behind, you may not need to volunteer.

And now, a carriage approaches to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural. Take your loved ones by the hand, please, and kindly watch your step. Oh yes, and no flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights.”

The Portrait Chamber exits into a long, dimly lit hallway filled with portraits of “prominent” denizens of the Haunted Mansion. The left side of the corridor is lined with windows that overlook a moonlit landscape in a rainstorm, intermittently illuminated by violent flashes of lightning. Portraits hang on the wall to the right, the subject of each transforming into a nightmarish image with each flash of lightning - the beautiful Medusa turns into a hideous Gorgon; a proud galleon devolves into a ghost ship; a gallant knight and his steed both become skeletons; a peaceful farm is ravished by a sandstorm; and a beautiful young woman reclining on a couch is transformed into a white tiger. At the far end of the hallway, an ominous-looking taxidermy mount of a red-eyed grizzly bear stands against the wall, joined on either side by the ferocious mounted heads of a wolf and a mountain lion. Is this haunted bear actually growling, or is it
your imagination? Hmm?

1586218560584.png

From 1969 - 1992, guests would proceed into a “limbo of boundless mist and decay,” at least according to The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion, a record album released in 1969. This strange, cloud-shrouded room was the Doom Buggy Load Area and featured little more but audible screams, lighting fixtures and rubber spiders in giant webs. Guests stepped onto a moving walkway and climbed into their Doom Buggy, where the Ghost Host was waiting to escort them on their tour of these happy haunting grounds.

This, however, changed in 1993 following the success of Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris.

oDmEWHvi-7vKhCKg6DTSrB8PwuWPWDjBqhCi5OSTIMLsP9cK6wB4Aiq9tK8w0m86LgcGwwH58WulClS3ljfEWjgIa24DUTeTpYUPmSI3lwPqr746BpwnGMDZbRbkoPXpIPDSoXDy

In 1992, Imagineers began looking for ways to "plus" existing Disneyland attractions with some of the more contemporary ideas and technological advancements found at Disneyland Paris. Phantom Manor, “Euro” Disneyland's darker version of the Haunted Mansion, had introduced a number of improvements and additions that considerably perfected the classic Mansion. One scene from the Parisian attraction was destined for Disneyland - The Grand Staircase effectively replaced the original "boundless mist and decay" in 1993.

An enormous picture window at the top of the staircase looks onto a sinister, moonlit landscape illuminated by flashes of lightning. As the lightning flashes, the scene is drained of all color, becoming a melancholy, monochromatic grey landscape. Lavish furniture and cobwebs surround the winding path to our Doom Buggy. A supernatural wind blows to the tune of “Grim Grinning Ghosts,” interspersed by rolling thunder and the baying of a solitary wolf. The sculpted bats that top the stanchions throughout the Portrait Corridor and Grand Staircase are original designs, another testament to the Imagineers' attention to detail. There are three styles of bat - two-winged, right-winged, and left-winged - to accommodate the various turns and switchbacks.

We board our black, clamshell-like Doom Buggy at the foot of the Grand Staircase.

“Do not pull down on the safety bar, please. I will lower it for you. And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain safely seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside. And watch your children, please.”

A pair of carved griffins bid our farewell, or our "bone voyage," as we round the corner and head beneath a mysterious landing where a number of floating objects hover above us in inky blackness - a rocking chair, a candelabra, a vanity table, and an occupied bed - a limp skeletal arm hangs off the edge of the mattress.

Hall of Infamy

TSsEPeNN1tN4wgAC05PCyhjiwgCQNX0h2fCuGiNkIAySPtki6XjWrtiwYa02GccMbDyOtk4fpA8qBGt9W02jjYHzOFcJC4hTrzXlwZzLCA5uVQOP_quWQkbhvFfWWsvK6GG9Iec7

Ever feel like you’re being watched?

The musical wind howls well into a dark corridor before us, a rather sinister collection of macabre portraits and cobwebs galore. The portraits, however, the "Sinister 11," steal the show with their eerie, glowing eyes that follow our every move…

• The axe-wielding Ghost Host cut free of his noose.
  • Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn holding her removed head.
  • A nasty, mean-eyed miser at his favorite chair.
  • The haggardly, once beautiful "December" in a formal pose.
  • Ivan the Terrible
  • A spectral Mariner lost at sea.
  • Guy Fawkes with his favorite keg of gunpowder.
  • A stern middle-aged couple.
  • Jack the Ripper.
  • The fanged Count Dracula.
  • The solemn Witch of Walpurgis and her trusted cat.
The Sinister 11 are based on unused designs by Marc Davis for changing or "talking" portraits. The eyes are cut out of the original portraits and the "half-eyeballs" are set behind the portrait and back-lit, giving the impression that they are following the viewer. The subjects often allude to the one-time idea of having the Haunted Mansion house fictional and historical villains alike, a concept heavily realized here.

MORE TO COME

DisneyManOne

Excellent work so far! The Haunted Mansion may be my favorite existing ride to do a ride-through for, because there are so many ways to set it depending on where you put it. That's why I can't wait to once again create an Adventureland-set Haunted Mansion later in the summer. Plus, as I said in the first Mirror Disneyland thread, I'm very glad to see that "limbo" load area gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom