Mirror Disneyland - Version 2.0 - An Alternate History

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Excellent! However, I recall that you included Frozen Ever After in Fantasyland as well. Did that idea fall by the wayside?

It has a new home! But we'll leave that for another day; I'd hate to spoil it for you. ;)

Also, I forgot to reply @S.P.E.W, but that Big Thunder sign is an actual sign found in Disneyland today. I think it is referring to the rest of Frontierland as compared to the Rainbow Ridge settlement. Mirror Disneyland would still include Rainbow Ridge.

Next week, we'll take a break from the lands and take a ride aboard the world-famous Jungle Cruise! Stay tuned.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
How ironic, now we're on Page 2! So far we've done Main Street, Liberty Street, Adventureland, Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Folktale Forest, Galaxy's Edge, and Fantasyland all on Page 1. This means there are only a few lands left in Mirror Disneyland!

I promised you a Jungle Cruise ride-through before moving on with the rest of the park, so here it is:

Jungle Cruise

ApUmH69I7YcvQqEP3kHCCUdFrXtoH9palSdbfOLefSP9_--V-BB5K89ySRbDA7onhEKrB9kYB9vhgRp0HZfl4KXeE1e8TpknDgzjyv5NE1LVaH2IxqCWy2nhLNaxgyQGM3loNPWg

The post-World War II pulp fiction, adventure and exotica of Africa, Asia and the South Pacific live on in Adventureland’s very heart and soul: the world-famous Jungle Cruise.

Our adventure begins, as such adventures do, on the edge of the rundown Paradise Springs, a decrepit settlement in the midst of the Forgotten Kingdom’s towering palms and weeping moss. The crackle of big band and “orchestral” chatter of distant wildlife intrigue the senses as we approach the ramshackle boathouse that once housed the lucrative Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. The two-story boathouse, long battered by monsoon weather, once offered passage to the fabled Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Nowadays, the old launch offers nothing more than “jungle tours”; a fun and factual glimpse at the bountiful wildlife and natural beauty of the rainforest beyond.

The Forgotten Kingdom is a remarkable place, for somehow, despite all the changes that have affected the rest of the natural world, an amazing menagerie of creatures from all corners of the tropical earth have managed to survive intact, side-by-side in near-fictitious harmony.

In 1931, the unfortunate Society of Explorers and Adventurers crashed in the midst of the Forgotten Kingdom. Amidst this uncharted jungle’s band of dangers, this realm held the remnants of a civilization thus far lost to history. Ill-prepared for the jungle’s hazards, dozens of adventurers met horrific ends… The lucky survivors uncovered the jungle’s history of supernatural instability. Nevertheless, civilization grew, and the new settlement of Paradise Springs thrived.

Albert AWOL, the “Voice of the Jungle” hosts an ongoing radio broadcast heard through the dusty halls and walls of the boathouse. Such news bulletins recap the up and coming events in the immediate jungle; one such report detailing a lost safari who we’ll meet later. Preserved specimens, framed artifacts, detailed maps, and black-and-white photographs adorn the walls; dark “peek-ins” allow glimpse at a cozy office and the crew’s quarters of the former Jungle Navigation Co. Hammocks, half-written letters, fossils, dusty binoculars, and lone pith helmets act in lieu of interior decor. A small library holds one of the world’s only known fossils of the “Monster of Paradise Falls,” a South American import on loan from vanished explorer Charles Muntz.

“I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle
As I go ridin’ merrily along
And they sing, ‘Oh, ain’t you glad you’re single’
And that song ain’t so very far from wrong”

The music of the Swing Era leads our transition to an old boat landing, where tramp steamers, a la The African Queen, arrive and disembark for a perilous voyage down the “Rivers of Adventure.”

28GK_1XezQF-9tt305RVCGIBOlsAr1uhKl0-VKddTMdkZRqjJD3mneT6P9BO6coRtR2nh-G63SZIrQH5B9_oqH9XMnYBEh5nU9gYuwxtoc0I-oiO9wUNU-0rXZdqoYOO6BFVmx6-

Across the river from the dock is an immense jungle, appearing endless as it stretches before the distant skyline of an ancient city; the crumbling spires and turrets of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. A thatched-roof shack sits near a small pier on the opposite shore. Wooden grave-markers in the closeby underbrush imply a secret horror inside. Once on board a ramshackle riverboat of our own, we are introduced to our fearless guide with, what else, but a one-liner: “Welcome aboard, folks. As you enter the boat, please watch your step and lower your head, and if you miss your step and hit your head, please watch your language - there are children everywhere.” Once our fellow passengers have filled the boat, we hear a hearty “HIT IT, SKIP”, and venture out into the heart of darkness with the low rumble of an uneasy, perhaps defunct engine…

“And we’re off! Now, we always like to turn and wave goodbye to the beautiful people back at the dock… Bye, beautiful people! Bye!” Pause. “You’ll never see them again… And they weren’t that beautiful… Welcome aboard the world-famous Jungle Cruise! I’ll be your skipper, guide, snake charmer, lion tamer, crocodile hunter, witch doctor, hippo wrestler, and dancing instructor, for the next five exciting days and six romantic nights… For your safety, please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the boat, and please, watch your kids - because I won’t. ”

Our boat has since left the dock behind and entered a mystical, almost unreal stretch of rainforest. A lush canopy shelters our boat from the elements, covered in vibrant blossoms and flowers. A gentle mist pours down from the arched canopy in a refreshed breeze, beautiful and mesmerizing amidst the warble of a Debussy flute. Giant butterflies and watchful toucans appear in the surrounding trees, a subtle compliment to the lone okapi peering through the thicket. “As we leave the last outpost of Paradise Springs, we enter a deep rainforest, where it rains 365 days a year. Some years, it rains every day! We often see exotic birds and huge, colorful butterflies - genus name, Plasticus Mechanicus. And do you feel that refreshing mist in the air? Don’t worry, it’s just malaria.”

The canopy splits to reveal the thundering cascades of Inspiration Falls, under the shadow of the impressive Swiss Family Treehouse. A family of croaking bullfrogs sit opposite the falls, two adults and three juveniles. Our skipper slows for a moment, fishing for a rare moment of awe. “This is Inspiration Falls. We call it Inspiration Falls for it inspires us to go…” Our skipper gives pause, then suddenly, lowers to his knees, as if needing to use the restroom. He regroups, well composed. “Deeper and deeper into the jungle.”

Our boat rounds the bend, only to discover a crashed biplane, its skeletal pilot still at the controls… “You know, we’ve been waiting on a shipment of supplies from London, I wonder if… Well, wouldn’t you know? There it is - hidden in plain sight - have you ever seen so many trees before in your life? There has to be a hundred different species on that beach…” A complete disregard to the crashed biplane.

Vj0WukRztwj1YpIn3kIwqRkl1DodBC2uuO4Nhdd3U6Nn-zXdvdWJKfrrmbsCqPZ-YgNJycg9CIfesjnH64QfXeHI_9tbeCqgEHuN9tFkCypOFWclVo4b-B997iXyBvKKIpIpZ1eP

The foliage stirs; a long vine slithers past, disappearing in shadow. A number of huge, flytrap-like creatures emerge from near the crash-site. “Uh-oh; man-eating plants!” The hissing plants, surrounded by human bones, begin launching “poison darts” at our boat. “Poison darts! Duck! Duck! Women and children, you are safe, these are man-eating plants. You have nothing to fear!” We hear a roar. On the opposite end of the river, a gargantuan plant has bloomed. The monster draws our attention toward the scattered skulls and bones at its roots, both animal and human. Fortunately, we have sailed past safely and just in time… “Those man-eating plants… They’re always looking for a hand-out.”

p6a2hBAHtRDCvlIGbw594M4sL8X18GxBcQcra901ADDqEhwo986YK33RO0t6kOADCLfoKx6B0o7dR0BvZcPu067vDp-MwtvhHjzqDUZBvt5AIyTz6_5Ltl92AQBUd4gCPE35EkWq

We next come upon the sight of an abandoned Pygmy War Camp. It belongs to that of the Forgotten Kingdom’s natives - cannibals, of course. Beached war canoes and a number of skulls impaled on torches set an ominous stage for the sudden pulse of tribal drums. “Up ahead we have a pygmy war camp. Each canoe can hold up to 300 pygmies! Seeing as there are three canoes… There are 900 pygmies nearby, waiting to attack! Those drums are an invitation to dinner…” The drums stop. The shriek of a big cat breaks the silence. A black panther, poised on the branch of a tree in the shallows, frightens both the skipper and ourselves to look to the opposite end. “Whoa!” The skipper slams down his fist on the boat for an added scare. “A black panther! And not the superhero kind! You know, this panther reminds me: Why shouldn’t you play poker in the jungle? Because there are lots of cheetahs. And if they say they aren’t a cheetah, they’re probably just a lion.” The skipper bursts into a self-provoked laughing fit, unaware of our current path beneath a suspension bridge and into Crocodile Country.

Dozens of hungry crocodiles bask on the beach from either side. Often, a crocodile opens its jaws with a yawn. “We’re entering Crocodile Country, the oldest part of the river. Look, there’s Old Smiley! Old Smiley here is a hundred years old! And there’s Ginger, his girlfriend. Careful: Ginger snaps!” Crocodiles surface from the closeby waters, growling hungrily. We hear the call of a hornbill, perched on a gnarled tree. Three crocs have cornered the bird from either end, offering little comfort to the unfortunate bird. “Wow, a rare flightless hornbill - about to become a little more rare.”

g1D3qE_668WMB2y19930VHVOjXsCN4prtNSEpOPGtvOmhAGLGMsg1t-bmphKwXlnMfo0i0yUYOoLVaRs4yJrT0kIxQxRGo6DSCx_IeNNSpiKdY5zdvLJCGHnIymXrXJqBCBSyjNQ

We next stumble upon a Safari Camp overrun with exuberant gorillas. Cans, boxes and supplies are scattered across the shoreline, a preface to an overturned safari jeep. The silverback male has dressed himself in a polka-dot skirt and necktie. He tries on a pith helmet in a wall-hung mirror; his grunting mate has dunked their baby in flour, giving him “pants.” One lazy ape swings back and forth in a hammock, Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book laid open on his chest. A juvenile peers into the loaded muzzle of a rifle, whilst another takes potshots at our boat with a loaded revolver.

“Well, well, my inlaws are back in town. There goes my mother-in-law, always trying to blow my head off. If any of you are wearing yellow clothing, don’t make any sounds like a banana - it drives them ape.” Continuing downriver, we find a stray silverback swinging out over the water, pummeling a crocodile just begging for a knuckle sandwich. With every snap of the croc’s jaws, the ape’s fist comes down, sending the croc’s head under, and its tail skyward. “Now there’s something you don’t see everyday. But I do. Over and over again.”

enQD3cbTntuud30kyb03Q8hEL5cgW6fnpr2wX_KIYqVlCuxNwPt28AyAcFLsAEUHIFQ-6eF22KUQSgLVsOY-s_RgBdNuvIuZB-m6TIxBc4IMU42ltuV8k0m199k4LXD1XwkwJhGP

The battered croc’s tail behind us, we continue downriver and past a number of ancient statues and ruins. “These statues guard the entrance to the Enchanted Bathing Pool of the Indian Elephants. Let’s take a closer look…”

We find a spectacular scene - frolicking Indian elephants amongst the glistening fireflies, giant lily pads, glowing waterfalls, and bubbling streams of an ancient pool. The herd has gathered here to bathe. One huge elephant reclines in a waterfall. A baby squirts water into the mouth of a waiting crocodile, while other adults and their young play in the quiet waters. “Feel free to take all the pictures you want, folks. They do have their trunks on. These sacred bathing rights are seldom seen by civilized men… As I look around this boat today, I see this still holds true.” As we leave the pristine elephants, we venture deeper into the interior, where - uh-oh - a large bull elephant has strayed from the herd, half-submerged ahead. The rogue bull shoots a stream of water in our path before ducking back under. “No, Squirt! Bad elephant!” Our boat slows for a moment, only to jolt past “Squirt” as he rises again. “Everybody get down, get down! Duck! Duck! Goose!” Fortunately, we are not doused. “Heh-heh. Just a little dry humor for ya.”

1582705774032.png

The Sacred Bathing Pool transitions into our first look at the spectacular Schweitzer Falls! "Ah, here it is... Beautiful Schweitzer Falls, named for famed explorer Dr. Albert Falls. Don't worry, we'll go over that later." As the jungle thickens, we sail down a narrow stretch inhabited only by a pair of African bull elephants. The great beasts bellow forth, ready to charge the boat.

“Over on the left we have the second most feared animal in the jungle: the African bull elephant. And over on the right we have the first most feared animal in the jungle: his mother-in-law. These two guard the eerie Elephant Graveyard.” Sure enough, we have sailed into the midst of an elephant graveyard. Giant skulls, tusks and ribs litter the rocky shoreline. Directly ahead, we find the entrance to a water-logged elephant skull embedded in a volcanic-rock formation. “Elephants come to their final resting place in this hallowed ground. Nowadays, that skull up there is home to a pride of lions… We must be quiet… Shh…” With utmost hesitation, our boat drifts into the flooded skull, but not before a pair of lions poke their heads up from behind a large femur on the starboard side, each gnawing on a bone. Vultures watch as we drift inside…

The eerie diorama inside the skull and subsequent cavern portrays the dramatic “survival of the fittest” motif found in Walt Disney’s True-Life Adventure films. Amid countless bones and decrepit rocks, the lions have made a kill and are chowing down on a zebra. The male often lifts his head from the feast, roaring proudly. A pair of cubs fidget with the tail of a lioness, while two other lionesses engage in a tug-o-war with a meaty zebra leg. “Would you look at that? Those lions are protecting that sleeping zebra. Can you feel the love tonight? Reminds me of my favorite Disney movie: ‘Tron.’” As our boat sails past, we depart for a corridor lined with giant roots hanging from the ceiling. Our skipper takes note. “Some call this a root canal. Seriously! That’s the honest tooth. I mean, truth.” An angered lioness slowly creeps out from the shadow with a low growl. “Even nature thinks my jokes are bad.”

M6WwUp9ZAyPH9dbH7ynrJQ3hkKdNuDoZkrl4HwQk5Q1WWUvxcmmBpOLxv0D44_xNvnmfcBAbOLy4vb2bze_fEcTdk7cvGcxbJgMEp6bkq0WrQf95cU4q8de5Jl-3i1sZsNX86DO3
Back in daylight, we are greeted by a pair of zebras near the water’s edge for a drink. On the starboard side, submerged water buffalo inspect our passing boat. “This tall grass means Big Game Territory. We must be on the lookout! The wild animals come down to the river to drink.” Gazelle and zebras are hidden among the tall grass and bamboo thicket. A trio of baboons lurk in one tree. A giraffe duo munch on the leaves of the tallest trees, visible only from the neck up. “Now you can say you’ve had a nodding acquaintance with a giraffe! The giraffe, however, won’t talk back - this is one animal with no vocal cords. And if you look across the river in the bamboo, you will see: absolutely nothing.” Hyenas are heard cackling ahead.

The foliage parts for a beach laden with rocks and sand. Hyenas “laugh” at a rare glimpse of the Lost Safari. The unfortunate travelers have climbed a dead tree to evade the horn of an angered rhinoceros. As the rhino lunges forward with its raised horn, the safari rises briskly. “There’s that lost safari we’ve heard so much about. Looks like that rhino really has them up a tree. The guy at the bottom is a good friend of mine - Hontas. Everyone say, ‘Hi, Hontas!’” We do. “Looks like that rhino’s going to Pocahontas.”

W5DKAltqts9V_ErH7UhhV6mmc3svvdDtJLXLIdKf5VQpYEHgksXl2pRQT0l2cxbCl1R_DVqZVC2H2nrmBmYlzWCl_yw0Bt6pIKpHNdmAZ4s1pI4j-cNqted2LginMN70CuPh0cdI

Our boat has finally come upon the majestic foundation of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Ominous and foreboding, our stage is set amongst the toppled columns, cracked stairs, crumbling stones, and carved face of an ancient goddess. The river ahead trails into the dark abyss of the temple, guarded by hissing king cobras slithered ashore. “This is the legendary Temple of the Forbidden Eye. As we speak, world famous archaeologist Indiana Jones is inside searching for the world’s greatest treasure… But he’ll never find it, because I’m out here and he’s in there… Let’s take a closer look, shall we?” With utmost pride and courage, we pull full-steam ahead into the darkness of the temple, blissfully unaware of the dangers that lie ahead…

SJil1lXRo9ef4HqInDw91lS6PvHxgHI0Ytz2lA-OqZarhP93fbNHS1918yT9Zmha5e_YyokwtkkR8kV_8mve7CvTaNjs0JOufskbeO5xsvC7D9fGruaZmzpFxBKlA2wMPqSR19ga

At this moment, inside the temple, the Jungle Cruise, Raging Spirits, Indiana Jones Adventure, and the Disneyland Railroad all converge in one gargantuan spectacle. Far away, Audio-Animatronics skeletons of an ancient race can be seen working the haunted mines with pick-axes and shovels. Looking out into a volcanic chasm, our boat narrowly turns into further danger - booby traps. “This is the fabled Temple of the Forbidden Eye, where legend tells of a deadly curse and gifts from the gods. But be warned, those who look into the eye of the goddess Mara will find their fate sealed behind the Gates of Doom… Please remain seated and kindly refrain from flash photography; only those with a dark heart use the dreaded flash photography…”

The lava of the volcanic chasm has begun to seep into the river. With a hiss, a blanket of steam envelops our path, practically blinding us. “This can’t be good! I can’t see a blasted thing in this steam! With our luck, we’ll veer off course and fall into that lava pit. But things could be worse, right?” The steam parts to reveal bones littering the shore of a sacrificial altar shrouded in fog. The statue of an ancient deity looks out on the chamber from a golden throne, scepter at hand.

v7jd7QdUjyRRVRAnryLCSzqgJ9stbcPO8msJOHAYTal5CDv-TQJVW1z7TetLRpTxMXAjA-KHERml0o7lO2MIhTgZfhIgtC5Otw6NEz72e53LKnjEiPXQTQ2xfYDqhZM5DIWtBaVE

“Well, this seems harmless. If we’re lucky, nothing could possibly go wrong here.” A deep voice thunders through the chamber. “WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?” “It is I - Skipper ________ of the Jungle Cruise.” “SILENCE! YOU SHALL FEEL THE POWER OF THE ANCIENT GODS!” His scepter glows. The waters are set ablaze in actual flames, the statue’s crown also on fire. Projection mapping details animation on the walls - a horrendous wildfire. The beasts of the jungle flee among the frightened men, women and children of the jungle. A red light has engulfed the chamber. Suddenly, another voice calms the fire, bringing with it a blue light. “STOP!” A statue on the opposite shore is now in the spotlight. A sudden downpour of rain, possible through projection mapping, ends the wildfire, and with it, the flames on the river - and a sudden cloud of more steam and fog. “Normally I’d make a joke, but… I’m not sure what just happened. It’s probably for the best that we keep this incident to ourselves. No one back home would believe us anyways.”

Back outside, we sail beneath a railroad trestle and into the relative safety of the jungle. Bamboo towers high above. “Before we go further, raise your hand if you’re still alive.” We do. “One, two… Okay, good. I get paid for the amount of people I bring back, not the amount I take out.”

1582706232956.png

GUNFIRE! Off on the starboard side, a pair of hunters from aboard their elephant mount, clad in khaki and pith helmets, have taken aim and fired at an unsuspecting, but very disgruntled Bengal tiger. One hunter levels his musket, the other covering his ears with a pained expression. On the other end of the foliage, the Bengal tiger angrily examines its rear-end, burnt to a pink, fur-less crisp. The hunters are too oblivious to notice a second, and bigger tiger, the other's mate, poised on a tree branch behind them, readied to swipe! "Over there we have two tigers, one elephant, and two dinners to-go. It's a good thing those tigers are distracted, because a Bengal tiger can weigh 500-lbs and jump up to 20-feet! Good thing we're about 19-feet away. They'd sail right over us."

Tribal drums and chanting are heard ahead. “Sounds dangerous. Let’s check it out.”

OsKM5RWp5tnuQlGEpynPYgf_9mLAX2GUTlxzwf5hKKRJoG8aoHpeO_XKeywT9Bg4-DbNNIJed8uib3b1RpAt2ILx137vdOQQSsZAr6tFDOKf0pExysIB4miFh5ThUqeq-ydQWBeP

Weird decorations laden with skulls and animal skins mark the early warning signs of Headhunter Country. A canoe full of skulls and a human rib cage instill a sense of fear in our skipper. “Uh-oh. We’re out of the fire and into the frying pan. Looks like we’re headed into Headhunter Country - not a good place to be-headed.” In the resident village, a native dance circle performs to the drumming and chanting of some mean-eyed musicians. A dead lion is hung upside down over a roaring fire. Various huts and tribal decor set an impressive yet foreboding backdrop to the primitive display. “It seems as if the natives are celebrating the kill of that lion… I’ve studied their language extensively. Allow me to translate.” A long pause. “Nope, I got nothing.”

Our tour continues on without a hitch, until we find a series of large warrior-shields standing along the shore. The drums silence. A masked warrior pokes his head out from behind a shield and barks an order. From nowhere, unseen natives shout battle cries from behind the other shields, firing “poison darts” and “spears” at us. “Duck! Duck!” Our skipper drops to the floor. “Duck! Don’t worry about looking stupid, folks, I’m doing it for you.”

We hear the roar of a thundering waterfall. Could it be? Yes, it could!

"And now, folks, the moment you've all been waiting for... The Eighth Wonder of the World; the one, the only BACKSIDE OF WATER!!!!!!!!!!" Our boat passes directly behind Schweitzer Falls to much fanfare and delight.

v6jU-6sXRq4QnenxfHakClnrjYcKkQk2C4p2M2NFG8N4lCP7z5cKyuHy3XDbSy7hFuR0pDOJ1pINyX9DZRZHoywCCqKtr_GIZyk7-X0yQ1Rf3mMu358vnbZITBmsXOvvs94NBtT2

Once again, we escape the blatant danger, but sail right into the midst of more danger. A low fog from Schweitzer Falls has rolled in over the surface of the Hippo Swamp. “We’re not out of danger yet - we’re sailing right into the midst of a swamp filled with dangerous hippopotami.” Sure enough, unfriendly hippos surface from below, wiggling their ears and “blowing” bubbles. “Don’t worry, the natives tell me they’re only dangerous if they’re wiggling their ears and blowing bubbles… Which they’re all doing.” The large “river boss” begins to charge the boat with his twisted tusks. “I’ll scare them off the way I scared my ex girlfriend: I LOVE YOU!” As expected, the hippos dive back beneath the surface. “Works every time.”

ZqPOQYBoukDjetRnGZ3yu-qJCaUw_67cCGX1kjwqO5uiQKxqPnW4yJ30-0Ivp4QzztBqANhaoTQAMhIZ4DM1RFEOv5M5Li7vVe4Ud6USoUOD3AXwjAH1g-hARQoeE70FUCLvO32u

As we reach the last stretch of the jungle, we come upon who else, but Trader Sam and his kitschy outpost. With his ramshackle umbrella and bundle of shrunken heads at hand, Sam wears a (stolen) top hat and striped skirt, surrounded by the grim spoils of his profession - skulls, masks, shrunken heads, and painted bones, all human in origin. “Over here is Trader Sam, Head Salesman of the Jungle. Sam has a special two-for-one deal going on right now - two of his heads for just one of yours! Yessir, any way you slice it, you’ll always come out ahead!”

We head back now toward the ramshackle boathouse of the Jungle Navigation Co., ready to return to Adventureland. “Congratulations! You just survived the world famous Jungle Cruise! Folks, out of all the crews I’ve had today… You by far have been the most recent. We’ve been through so much together in such a short amount of time. It’s almost too hard to say goodbye, but… Get out.” We do.

Jungle Cruise Queue BGM, January - October:

1. Albert: (Jingle) This is the Paradise Springs Broadcasting Service, serving remote outposts since 1933. (Pause) The weather here this morning is hot and humid. A typhoon warning has been issued for coastal areas near Crocodile Country, and a storm watch has been posted along the excavation site near the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. (Pause) Tropical Imports announces that the special Jungle Cruise dispatch has arrived, bringing with it the world’s first in carnivorous plant repellent. Remember, when it comes to self-safety with man-eating plants, it could cost you an arm or a leg. (Pause) Now, let’s get back to our musical program.
  2. “Moonlight Serenade” - Glenn Miller
  3. “Happy Days Are Here Again” - Ben Selvin and the Crooners
  4. Albert: If you’re within the sound of my voice, you’re listening to AWOL Airways of the Paradise Springs Broadcasting Service. This is Skipper Albert AWOL, the “Voice of the Jungle.” (Pause) This just in: a Jungle Cruise skipper reports spotting the lost safari. As you may recall, this lost safari has remained missing longer yet has had more sightings than any other in history. (Pause) Locally, airplane pilots are cautioned about landing in Settler’s Field. Recent rains have created large bogs which have attracted the attention of local water buffalo. Pilots are advised to land safely near the rainforest region of Inspiration Falls. (Pause) And now, here’s today’s river tip from Skipper Bill of the Congo Connie. Bill says: “If it rains in the jungle, who cares? That’s why they call it a rainforest.” Thanks, Bill…
  5. “Jingle Jangle Jingle” - Kay Kyser
  6. “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You” - Tommy Dorsey
  7. Albert: (Jingle) Breaking News Update: an entire Jungle Cruise tour group has disappeared in Headhunter Country. Authorities are trying to determine their exact whereabouts. It is the fourth reported incident involving the Jungle Cruise this month. (Pause) The Jungle Cruise is now offering a free sightseeing tour down the Rivers of Adventure. Any travelers who may need to exchange foreign currency along their voyage needn't worry; there are banks all along the rivers. (Pause) This broadcast is brought to you in part by Trader Sam's Cannibal Cafe, home of the hand-burger, barbecued ribs, and Caesar salad. Arrive late to your reservation and receive the cold shoulder. Trader Sam's Cannibal Cafe - any way you slice it, you'll always come out ahead. And now, "In the Mood."
  8. “In the Mood” - Glenn Miller
  9. Albert: Here are the answers to our Jungle Trivia Questions... (Reading answers in order) The correct response to a crazed, charging elephant is: "AAH! AAH!" Tigers are striped, not spotted. Toucan sound better than one toucan can. It takes one to know one. And, it takes an average of eight minutes for a family of gorillas to destroy a typical base camp.
  10. “Minnie the Moocher” - Cab Calloway
  11. Albert: (Jingle) Today only, all veterans will be allowed front-of-the-line access at the Jungle Cruise. That is, veterans of the American Revolution, in full uniform, as accompanied by their parents and horse. (Pause) The native pygmy population has declined as of a recent consensus. A surplus in the local panter population might be the source. (Pause) The Paradise Springs Board of Safety prohibits water passage through the Elephant Graveyard. Passengers requesting an extended tour with the Jungle Cruise will be directed to the Forgotten Kingdom Hospital for immediate medical and neurological examination. This is Skipper Albert AWOL of the Paradise Springs Broadcasting Service.
  12. “Sing, Sing, Sing” - Benny Goodman
  13. “I’ll Be Seeing You” - Billie Holiday
  14. Albert: Congratulations to Skipper Marc, winner of our Jungle Trivia Contest. Please report to Trader Sam’s Cannibal Cafe to claim your prize. You have the duration of the next song to do so.
  15. “Dinah” - Louis Armstrong
  16. Albert: This is Skipper Albert AWOL, your "Voice of the Jungle." (Pause) Next week, the True-Life Adventurers Club will be holding its third-annual meeting. Dr. Seers and Hibbler will be discussing their research on the African lion. The rival Adventurers Club will be holding their usual nonsense on the same evening. (Pause) A memorial service will be held for Skipper Marc, winner of our Jungle Trivia Contest, this Sunday morning. Trader Sam has written a eulogy for the beloved skipper. It reads: "I will miss him. But he made a great salad." (Pause) Bingo Night has been cancelled at the Recreation Center until further notice. A native uprising is the purported cause of the cancellation. (Pause) Back to our regular program.
  17. “Moon Over Burma” - Dorothy Lamour
  18. “Slow Boat to China” - Kay Kyser
  19. “Dream a Little Dream of Me” - The Dorsey Brothers
  20. Albert: (Jingle) An earthquake to the northeast of the jungle has really shaken - not stirred - the native wildebeest. A mass wildebeest migration has brought with it a mass following of lions and tigers and bears. Oh my. (Pause) Let this fact sink in. At least seven homes were lost in a sudden sinkhole on the outskirts of Paradise Springs. In a related report, quicksand has taken the local giraffe population by storm. Adventurers are advised to watch their step in sandy areas; lone giraffe heads will determine the location of quicksand. (Pause) Beacon Joe reports a record number of piranha in Crocodile Country. As always, would-be swimmers must wait an hour after eating before they swim. The same does not apply to crocodiles or piranha. (Pause) This is Albert AWOL.
  21. “We’ll Meet Again” - Vera Lynn
  22. “Bongo Bongo Bongo” - The Andrews Sisters & Danny Kaye
  23. Albert: On this day in history, Prof. Porter of England retires to the African rainforest with his daughter, Jane, and her husband, Tarzan. (Pause) In today's headlines, the Temple of the Forbidden Eye reports a record number of visitors this year. Local officials attribute the increase to rumors about recent discoveries; or, greedy ne'er-do-wells seeking gifts from the ancient gods. (Pause) The weather in Paradise Springs today is hot and humid. Monsoons are expected to arrive here later this week. (Pause) In an unrelated note, ancient spirits of the river ruined one unlucky explorer's turkey sandwich. The meat was possessed by said spirits, creating a "poultrygeist." (Pause) Who wrote this?!
  24. “Serengeti Serenade” - Buddy Baker, 1964-1965 World’s Fair
  25. “Anything Goes” - Lew Stone
  26. “Ain’t Misbehavin’” - Fats Waller
  27. Albert: Last week, the River Pilots License Test was given to all 30 Jungle Cruise skippers. A sincere congratulations to all those who passed. The remaining 29 pilots may take the test again next month. (Pause) During his lecture yesterday to the Anthropological Society, Prof. Marcus Brody reported that Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones has located priceless artifacts at the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Prof. Brody believes that Dr. Jones may have uncovered the most significant archaeological find of the century. (Pause) According to Trader Sam, Skipper Marc will be the catering of his own memorial service. How thoughtful. And now: music.
  28. “I Wan’na Be Like You” - Louis Prima, The Jungle Book
  29. “Colonel Hathi’s March” - The London Pops Orchestra
  30. Albert: Once again, this is Skipper Albert AWOL, your self-proclaimed "Voice of the Jungle." (Pause) An infestation of vampire bats has forced the Forgotten Kingdom Tea Society to reschedule their annual picnic for this coming Saturday at noon. Attendees are advised to eat plenty of garlic and always carry a silver crucifix on their person. (Pause) Leech therapy is the rage in modern medicine. The Paradise Springs Hospital has officially opened their state-of-the-art Leech Ward, free of charge to any willing patient. To access your free leech therapy, simply jump in the river and wait. (Pause) Explorers, please be advised that there have been several reports of aggressive butterflies near Inspiration Falls. Three unfortunate travelers have reported minor confrontations. To minimize the chance of future injuries, butterfly repellent is strongly recommended. (Pause) And now: a musical interlude.
  31. “How Could Red Riding Hood?” - Al Lentz Orchestra
  32. “Aloha ‘Oe” - Queen Liliuokalani

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
And oh, what the heck, let's throw in another update this week just for the heck of it!

Also, feedback is appreciated on everything! I know we've already explored this park in the past, but things have changed!

Hollywoodland

“It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods - a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made - in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!”
- Walt Disney

A pair of mighty, ornamental elephants sat atop polychromatic pillars mark the entrance to Hollywoodland, a land introduced north of Fantasyland and It's a Small World in 1999 - "beyond the berm."

The success of Disney*MGM Studios in May of 1989 had led Eisner and WED to "dream big" for the American Parks. The Disney Decade, arguably the most ambitious plan WED had designed at the time, called for many successful Walt Disney World attractions to be cloned in Anaheim. WESTCOT Center and Hollywoodland are living proof of this ambitious blueprint - Hollywoodland was the conclusion of the Disney Decade.

WESTCOT Center made Disneyland a Resort in the summer of 1998, and 1999 saw the opening of Hollywoodland, an idealized re-creation of Tinseltown and Hollywood Boulevard in the Golden Age of Cinema.

FpTSZY_uz1oGMNJCtAI2NlCPiwzD-NObQfakIs4guM5JRvFNJLOCynLDD__1GlbUs9aBX3mG6VLyE-ppb08pYgvLrOG3R19sWMvS0mbrfdy5DRrJYZgCL6HZZndb-gssjeDiAMgq

This is the Hollywood of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Here, in the year 1937, the stress of our contemporary life fades for a glimpse into a warm embodiment of the “Hollywood that Never Was.” The shimmer of neon, sparkle of the spotlight, and triumph of a dream, set our stage for this reverent tribute to the romance, glamour and sentimentality of the silver screen.

In the vision of a since-defunct dream for the once titled Disney*MGM Studio in Florida, Hollywoodland is so dedicated in the spirit and fantasy of the "Hollywood Dream." As Michael Eisner once dedicated his Studio Park, “The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood - not a place on the map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was - and always will be.”

76eKPx-H8liNm_6X_Bm3b3eKW62kFwdl0ZdHaltRu4Pbv9KUGJlv2wv4CQePNtYQFG25Xod9d_rg7ZgZY2POfkLnZtIUcs2P8s8Y2BwLZlPn-EFhMe45Pa93LohAC69BmK-yArD_

Hollywoodland is anchored in the remarkable aspiration of a young man who left Kansas City for Los Angeles with big dreams - and little money. His ideas, drive and determination would one day change the world. This man was Walt Disney. “Storytellers” recalls the moment in which a young Walt and Mickey first laid foot in the City of Angels. Unlike "Partners" in the Central Plaza, you can walk right up and stand beside a young Walt and Mickey, as if they're just two more dreamers making their way around early Los Angeles.

“Hooray for Hollywood
That screwy, ballyhooly Hollywood!”

Presented in the style and architecture of one historic building after the next, Hollywoodland is a Magic Kingdom all its own. The Art Deco and Mission Revival architecture instill in us a sense of familiarity with a hint of intrigue, mystery and excitement. The reality of the Great Depression has subdued into the color and excitement of a cinematic Tinseltown, where the vision of an unrealized past is "relived." Here is the Hollywood of Clark Gable, Mickey Rooney and Vivien Leigh. The bustle of traffic and shimmer of neon have built a fairy-land from a suitcase and a dream, "where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan."

XLuAKcj-2rLUM1H-lYv2Uv0FYcAu2CPC1kGd4Uh3Ks921mB6HcOUGlsImXHpkVK9gWztM5U6lIUMOwigW7-kjoefD1pdSFUGM86WzPFdAwOiGLw72Z_9RbyInTlg9fhLQaTCA7eS

The historic Red Car of the Pacific Electric Railway once criss-crossed Los Angeles from 1887 to 1961. Today, the Red Car Trolley is of one and the same purpose - efficient travel. With three convenient stops throughout Hollywoodland, the Red Car is in tribute to the bygone memory of a yesteryear Los Angeles, similar to the sights and smells found within Philippe's, an L.A. original.

Home of the Original French Dipped Sandwich,” specialties of the house include roast beef, pork, turkey, ham, or leg of lamb. Coleslaw, pickles, macaroni salads, pickled eggs, olives, and hot peppers compliment the various deli meats. This near-exact replica of the real-world location has been built to the minute detail; sawdust on the floor, neon in the signage, and “Carvers” behind the counter. Disneyland's Philippe's is historic, too - it marks the first time the Los Angeles landmark has been featured outside LA, and in a theme park environment at that.

DHXDJgPofEhsOCJql0HofgU6L4p1zaqhwF7Rfm7wedr1b0ei5Jbqf1ZktTe27C39kNeSjE_m44APBQ4dn_Gckm0c0wdacQdB6qzYJAuTRTkA1HinH22nx8wgw6tHyL9ZQ7Z8wYw6

Bright light and the crackle of a phonograph welcome us to Oswald’s Filling Station. There always seems to be a ‘40 Pontiac Torpedo Coupe out front. Oswald’s is decked “ear-to-toe” in memorabilia of American Car Culture, with the inventory following suit.

Oswald himself often frequents "his" station in full mechanic attire, a rabbit-shaped wrench at hand. As with Oswald, we might “rub elbows” with the Disney stars of celluloid - including Mickey, Minnie, or Goofy, dressed in their cinematic finest. Hollywoodland is populated with real, believable people. The Citizens of Hollywoodland walk the streets in stride, a living snapshot of the optimism, humor and pride of the Hollywood Dream. On the “Sunny Side of the Street,” the musical Five & Dime arrive in "Town Square" by means of their ramshackle jalopy. The band has traveled down Route 66 from Chicago in the hopes of making it big in Tinseltown.

r-U3ZndMmrmFc8bmAborOY5IN6mIryvsnJZI7xSBJQI-Ibj8Kx8SWkBfc-mA0GD_tGLTVbJ8NVlms8I7gL9K3kPSYft_SO8pUz7ZaSadWAbYYVsphiTZjavOuK9C1tao-R-8YNRY

The original Carthay Circle Theatre, built in 1926, played a significant role in the life of Walt Disney. His first feature-length film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, premiered there in 1937 and, in 1941, groundbreaking stereophonic Fantasound was installed in the theatre for the West Coast premiere of Fantasia. The Carthay Circle of Hollywoodland is in reflection of the romance and glamour of Hollywood's Golden Age, including references to the accomplishments of Walt Disney and his original animators.

Carthay Circle is home to an extraordinary journey into the World of Film: CineMagic. The silent films of Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel & Hardy illustrate the significance of early cinema and its influence on modern comedy and adventure films. The main show, starring Martin Short and Julie Delpy, is a romantic and remastered English Language version of the now-lost treasure of Walt Disney Studios, Paris. Short, a clumsy tourist from our world, is sucked into the silver screen and sent on one misadventure after the next in search of Delpy, a beautiful siren of the silent era. Titanic, Star Wars and Mary Poppins are among the worlds and dimensions visited by Short, all concluding in a romantic skip down the Yellow Brick Road.

The Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café has a charming selection of dining and bakery items, the second in-park home of Starbucks Coffee. The “Silver Lake Sisters” - Dottie, Dolly and Ethel - once inspired The Three Little Pigs (1933). Now, in 1937, the three sisters have opened a coffee shop laden with the memorabilia of a previous decade in the limelight. The Terminal Bar of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is often rattled by the passing Red Car. Eddie Valiant’s girlfriend, Dolores, runs the dive bar, which has since been converted into a clever mercantile for clothing and the like. The office of Valiant & Valiant is found nearby, as with the apartment of Baby Herman, though both are inaccessible to us - and weasels. The Red Car makes its second in three scheduled stops at the Terminal Bar, right near the Pacific Electric Depot, a well-disguised facade for…

hsUWCIxPRWzv6j54Oca6AVUPtvoHTDZtJRlb5Dj_scrTdJTx5z6_SdANuDT-OGs8KOcVCwk-3Qr2gwsBkvjOyZDR2ZF-bGFsVTFcgzsZWWk224S2lZp1CH_sGTeu3vnycAPJKFn2

Disney Animation.

Disney Animation is our firsthand glimpse into the secret world of the Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios. In the indoor Animation Courtyard, a number of large screens convey the clips, stills and sketches of the Disney and Pixar Canon. The courtyard is our “hub” for the varied wings of the sprawling exhibition, including:

The Animation Academy
In this magical classroom, learn to draw a beloved Disney Character with a hands-on lesson from a Disney Artist.

Sorcerer’s Workshop
In the lair of Yen Sid, we explore the development of appearance, personality and voice in a Disney Character. The Magic Mirror Realm is a course in simple animation. The wise, talking portrait of Yen Sid guides our path into Ursula’s Grotto, the eerie abode of the Sea Witch. Here, “movie pods” offer a chance to sing or act in a famous animated scene. The pod will then play back the scene with your voice… The Beast’s Library lets us get in touch with our “Disney Self” in the glorious library of Prince Adam. Lumiere and Cogsworth hold a humorous quiz to discover what Disney Character we most represent.

Back to Neverland
In honor of the late Robin Williams, the wonderful “Back to Neverland” still plays in a reverent tribute to hand-drawn animation. In the film, Robin is transformed into a Lost Boy of Neverland, caught in conflict with Captain Hook. "Back Again to Neverland" is an immediate sequel. Josh Gad is introduced to computer animation, more specifically a prequel to “Peter Pan.” Unlike the first film, “Back Again” features a musical number, performed by an animated Mr. Gad himself.

fzrKfGttKZHrJYEPAyMMdDoGexHJntHOjY6Onb7EiSz4IYI6wDRa3miWUv3vk8ANTr8RJOyt1pOgGwM_laX6_fG_IMOgKPSDawPLshUIXAYdR4tr4_-YtweT4064QHMOX4EIo7bt

Jim Henson’s Muppet Workshop
The Muppet Workshop focuses on a different animation: Puppetry. An exhibition of actual Muppet replicas and artifacts lead to a demonstration set in a bizarre factory, complete with sentient machinery and architecture. Here we can build our own Muppet Whatnot from various parts, with one-on-one tips from trained Muppeteers. The enormous Muppet-Tron 5000 overlooks the workshop, playing classic clips and skits of “The Muppet Show.”

Exhibition Hall
The lavish Exhibition Hall is to hold a number of traveling exhibits and touring performance groups. Such past exhibits include “The Mind of Tim Burton” and “Art of Pixar.”

Turtle Talk with Crush

Step inside the Aquatorium, take a seat in front of the large window and get up close and personal with the righteous dude who always goes with the flow. While Crush cavorts behind the glass, kids can talk to him about anything - his friends, his favorite food - the sea's the limit. Because every chat is spontaneous, each time we visit is totally different and totally awesome!

EiA-cXaNxZCTcbwnpNWARQ2MOQNmQlSS2Znz3kBjwQMTErNEgVSX_XX7E8nmfpglMD3Jjc4nRR3qHvUlfvduIcB0k8jAqd19oNKk34ajx_4k2X5pGTHb0AndrTGbibhpH8c8-87Z

Back in Hollywoodland, a secret panel leads to the opulent foyer of the Ink & Paint Club. The host motions us toward a “larger than life” portrait of Marvin Acme, the so called “Gag King.” Even so, the rose etched on his breast pocket squirts water straight from the canvas. Suddenly, the entire wall begins to move and we are thrust into a smokey nightclub, with jazz blaring and cigarette girls roaming the room. A large octopus is our bartender, while the penguins of Mary Poppins hustle in lieu of a frantic waitstaff. Corks are popping and dinner is served. Donald and Daffy, the latter duck on loan from Warner Bros., gleefully tickle the ivories in their famous “Dueling Pianos” act. Of course, the performance often goes awry - or ablaze - and human entertainment takes the stage.

Lowbrow tomfoolery is the stock-in-trade of the ACME Gag Factory, where such items as whoopee cushions and rubber chickens are "manufactured" by a highly over-engineered contraption. This is, of course, a clever gift emporium for the young and the young-at-heart.

Roger Rabbit's Runaway Trolley was inspired by the Academy Award-winning Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The film successfully created the illusion that animated characters were interacting in the "real" world with people, thanks to the state-of-the-art technology of that time. The attraction, opened in 1999 with the rest of Hollywoodland, revisits the fabulous misadventures of Roger Rabbit and his beloved wife, Jessica.

After a series of mishaps aboard the "Toontown Jolly Trolley," tour guide Roger loses his hold on the controls. Suddenly, the trolley is sent hurtling through innumerable obstacles and misadventures that would only be possible in Toontown - portable holes, falling anvils, and a number of unexpected cartoon cameos! The villainous Weasels are pouring Toon-melting Dip all throughout Toontown, and our trolley is doomed for a date with Doom... Oh, and do watch out for that annoying Aracuan Bird!

The attraction features state-of-the-art technology - including a "next generation" flight simulator, digital 3D video, Audio-Animatronics characters, and "in-trolley" special effects and music. Even better, the attraction features a number of cameos once thought impossible in Disneyland proper - Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, Tweety Bird, and Droopy are all special "guests" in this fabulous attraction.

hUfKJ0DQaRpNjIHqnt1vJ6YA87ue__lRtlZKXBoTvM0jNoFX2VTCh-4H9yOOQY8yV8VJXHhGbSL5k4MfuyOL9alTNJ-6AhlYSw8wWGJOo1js0YBHRQRhd4SyDQ_kYVO7eomN1e8Z

“A Spectacular Journey Into the Movies
A Cast of Thousands! A Sweeping Spectacle of Thrills! Chills! Romance!”

The Great Movie Ride has been faithfully re-created in Hollywoodland, the one-time star attraction of Disney*MGM Studios.

The Great Movie Ride holds 95,000 square feet of Disneyland real estate. Entering through a life-size replica of the Grauman Chinese Theatre, we board our vehicle for a narrated showcase of classic films including Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, Alien, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Each "soundstage" set is populated with Audio-Animatronics figures, as well as the occasional live performer, all sprinkled with spectacular lighting and sound effects. This is the signature attraction of Hollywoodland.

In early 2015, both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World version of the attraction (the latter has since closed) gained sponsorship from Turner Classic Movies. The attraction received an updated commentary track from TCM Host and film historian, Robert Osborne. The pre-show trailer montage and ride-film finale were also updated with a tasteful mix of classic clips, new scenes from previously featured films, and the addition of more recent films, such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Hollywoodland opened with four attractions: the Great Movie Ride, the Red Car Trolley, Roger Rabbit's Runaway Trolley, and Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D.

Created by the legendary puppeteer Jim Henson, The Muppet Show aired from 1976 to 1981 and was an instant hit, and at one time, it was the biggest show in the world. Muppet*Vision was a unique collaboration between Jim Henson Productions and WED, also being the final released film that was directed by Henson and the last to feature his performance as Kermit the Frog.

Muppet*Vision 3D is held in a perfect replica of the Muppet Theater. As the curtain rises, Kermit, Miss Piggy and the whole Muppets menagerie appear in eye-popping 3D. They're taking us on a zany tour of Muppet Labs and showing off their new movie-making invention: Muppet*Vision 3D. Things, of course, go haywire when Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker set a disastrous string of events into motion.

With onscreen musical numbers, Audio-Animatronics figures and live in-theater special effects, it's a show guaranteed to bring the house down - and end with a glorious "three-hour" finale - a "Salute to All Nations, but Mostly America."

1582739656650.png

Muppet*Vision and the surrounding Muppet Courtyard are remnants of an ambitious, never-built "Muppet Studio" for Disney*MGM Studios in Florida. The "gorgeous" Miss Piggy fountain and Kermit the Frog hot-air balloon are in tandem with the Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor. Audio-Animatronics Muppet rats deliver pizza to tables by way of conveyor belt. The walls are covered with recreations of props from various Muppet films and specials, as well as random goofs and gags. Gonzo can be heard crawling through the vents in the ceiling, video screens depicting both his ongoing stunts inside the ceiling and classic Muppet clips. The video screens also show the pandemonium in the kitchen (featuring the Swedish Chef, Gonzo and Rizzo) and the occasional explosion, blowing open the kitchen doors with smoke and chicken feathers flying into the dining room.

The Muppet Company Store is a direct lift of the Stage 1 Company Store from Florida, right down to the Kermit and Piggy mural in parody of Gone with the Wind. Inside, a number of Muppet references and cameos preface a wide range of Muppet and Disney merchandise.

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination, beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into . . . The Twilight Zone.

Hollywood, 1939. Amidst the glitz and the glitter of a bustling young movie town at the height of its golden age, the Hollywood Tower Hotel was a star in its own right. A beacon for the show business elite. Now, something is about to happen that will change all that."

"The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed. Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a maintenance service elevator, still in operation, waiting for you. We invite you, if you dare, to step aboard because in tonight's episode you are the star. And this elevator travels directly to . . . The Twilight Zone."

Uneasily, we step inside the infamous Hollywood Tower Hotel, uncovering a dusty, abandoned lobby frozen in time. Even the subdued hotel staff seems to be strangely out of this long-lost era... A television springs to life and Rod Serling, host of The Twilight Zone, welcomes our arrival. He reveals that on a gloomy Halloween night in 1939, some unfortunate hotel guests were riding an elevator when a violent storm struck the building - they were never seen again. The hotel closed down and has stood empty ever since.

We enter a rickety, elevator-style lift, strap ourselves in and prepare to discover what lies beyond the darkest corner of the imagination. We shriek in terror as we are suddenly propelled up and down the abandoned shaft - unexpectedly dropping and rising - as the sound of cables snapping and metal clanging rings in from overhead. Will we survive our journey and make it back to the real world... Or will we become permanent residents of the Twilight Zone?

May 5, 2004 welcomed the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror to the growing skyline of the Disneyland Resort. The popular attraction, first built at Walt Disney World in 1994, was the perfect crowd-puller to the low-traffic Hollywoodland behind "it's a small world."

The desolate, 184-foot tall Hotel dwarfed nearly all "high-points" of Disneyland - Sleeping Beauty Castle (77-feet), Matterhorn Mountain (147-feet) and Splash Mountain (89-feet). So, as to not dwarf the iconic Matterhorn and Sleeping Beauty Castle, nor create an unfavorable backdrop for nearby "it's a small world" and Big Thunder Mountain, the Imagineers built the Tower lower. Unaware guests hardly realize that the pavement leading from the entrance of Hollywoodland to the Tower of Terror is on a downward slope.

The attraction is based on the popular television series which originally aired from 1959 to 1964. Created, hosted and written by Rod Serling, the award-winning show—with its imaginative storylines and unexpected twist endings—was wildly successful and has enjoyed a recent revival hosted by Jordan Peele.

Tower of Terror supernaturally exits into Hotel Gifts, a musty gift shop of the old Hollywood Tower Hotel. The mangled, overgrown gardens and grounds of the "HTH" became an eerie transition between Hollywoodland and the Black Spire Outpost of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in 2019. A forested trail through crumbling Grecian statues and fountains with the crackling music of a phonograph suddenly becomes a forested trail through crumbling Jedi statues and relics with alien creatures in the underbrush all around. The forest subsequently parts and empties near First Order Cargo and Kylo Ren's docked shuttle on Batuu.

1582741268808.png

(Just imagine - Tower of Terror and Hollywoodland would lurk right behind those treetops in Mirror Disneyland... Isn't it amazing?)

Tomorrowland's next! And then we are temporarily done with Mirror Disneyland! Then we'll be on to the rest of the Resort!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Tomorrowland

Walt’s first Tomorrowland was dedicated with the hope for a peaceful and unified future.

Where many people called Walt Disney an “Optimistic Futurist,” author and friend Ray Bradbury instead felt that Walt was an Optimal Behaviorist, “A term I use constantly,” Bradbury said. “I ask of you and others optimal behavior, and if you behave every day, and get your work done, and do it with love, at the end of a day, a week, a month, a year, whatever, you have done your work.” To Walt, the future was progress, progress was beneficial, and there always was a “great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.”

As fascinated as Walt was by what progress and innovation tomorrow would bring, he struggled through Tomorrowland’s first decade trying to create and establish attractions that fulfilled his own “promise of the future.”

1583016759352.png

Tomorrow can be a wonderful age,” Walt said. “Our scientists today are opening doors of the space age to achievements that will benefit our children and generations to come. In Tomorrowland, we’ve arranged a preview of the wonderful developments the future holds in store. You will actually experience what many of America’s foremost men of science and industry predict for the world of tomorrow. The Tomorrowland attractions have been designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future.”

The submarine set from the popular film, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, was exhibited in Tomorrowland, complete with the Giant Squid. Phantom Boats, Rocket to the Moon and an Autopia “Freeway” exemplified the “world to come” in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland of ‘55. As the icy Matterhorn neared completion in 1959, Tomorrowland saw the addition of several major attractions and adventures, including the Bobsleds and the Submarine Voyage.

Walt had always wanted to include a “train of the future.” After much research, Disney Imagineers returned from Cologne, Germany, where they had been impressed by an experimental monorail developed by the Alweg Company. After recommending the system to Walt, Disney designers joined with the Alweg staff in 1958 to develop a basic plan that would lead to a working prototype. From there, the trains were designed and built at the Disney Studio in Burbank, and the
Disneyland Monorail became the first passenger-carrying system of its kind in the Western Hemisphere. It remains in operation today. The beam-way would later be lengthened to reach all destinations in the Disneyland Resort, including the new WESTCOT Center in 1998.

The Matterhorn, Submarine Voyage and the Monorail represented an investment of $6 million.

1583017130034.png

By the mid-60s, the astronauts and the advances of science and industry had caused the original Tomorrowland to become “Todayland.” The time for change had come. Soft yet symmetrical shapes and sculptured reflective surfaces would symbolize human aspiration, while constant movement manifested the ceaseless activity envisioned in a city of the future. Walt often commentated that the one aspect he appreciated most about Disneyland was that it was something he could keep building, plussing and adding to. No better example of that reshaping can be found than in the 1967 rebirth of Tomorrowland.

The true impetus for Tomorrowland’s face-lift came as a result of the 1964 New York World’s Fair, in which Audio-Animatronics had come into its technological own, and where Disney had established a unique relationship with American industry. Walt’s idea from the beginning was to move it all (all the Disney shows) to Disneyland, and the place to start was with General Electric’s Carousel of Progress.

4R36OLgIfJu-9FYpPOqPwTLWD8rWR4re7BQxgfShNMy7WbAG0xTd-A5MFpX-V-T3ZZbLD9zMa7_nnklcV3_rxgU8o3KRmY4MDTPUwKnX0V6sQu5DhUDNGbHG5VzA1SK1415TTEY3

After two tremendous years at the World’s Fair (where it was seen by 16 million people), the Carousel of Progress moved into a new two-story building in Tomorrowland on July 2, 1967. Six auditoriums revolved around six stages, which told a story of progress through electricity over the first half of the twentieth century. Typical of any Disney show, the designers focused on visual storytelling, developing plot and character through simple vignettes.

More than 1,500 celebrities and invited guests attended the dedication of the New Tomorrowland in 1967. The Flight to the Moon adventure lost a rocket but gained a Mission Control Center. The Audio-Animatronics Operations Director, “Mr. Tom Morrow,” gave astronauts a preview of what to expect on their voyage through space. Another returning feature was the America the Beautiful Circle-Vision Theatre. This attraction began its Disneyland career in 1955 as “Circarama, U.S.A.” but obtained the “America the Beautiful” title when it went on the road to the Brussels Fair in 1958. “America the Beautiful” was reshot for the opening of the New Tomorrowland. Two vehicles were introduced to Tomorrowland in the form of the “Atomobile,” transporting guests through the new Adventure Thru Inner Space, and the WEDWay PeopleMover transportation system, which illustrated a possibility for rapid transit of the future.

YGnCX5TfN0LJvQmfz6YCCGNlhqykLeQPbjQyHJHO9hPIVUfZi3EEs0iEd87maMli8WqU4EPryNfcG9YdIAo1qYcBslZnVmXn_ZGW27-_mf8fqKXksUre2vIsp1skYlmy7NkRAlSK

Walt came up with the idea for Space Mountain in 1964, Imagineer John Hench recalled, and had intended the attraction to open with New Tomorrowland in 1967, but it took eleven years to find a location, let alone the correct technology or financial support. $20 million (more than Walt spent to build the entire Park) and over a million man-hours in design and construction, the 118-foot tall, 200-foot wide superstructure emerged on the Tomorrowland skyline. Because of its size, special consideration was made for the design of Space Mountain. Its foundation was built 15-feet below ground surface to make sure that it would fit the existing sale of Disneyland’s iconic structures, similar for the construction of the Tower of Terror in 2004.

The Carousel Theater had moved to Liberty Street in 1974. The loss of the Carousel of Progress and its show building had left, what many affectionately called a “black hole,” in Tomorrowland. Star Tours was inspired by the classic Star Wars films, and was the first ever attraction to use flight simulator technology. On board the StarSpeeder 3000, the rookie pilot Rex would take passengers on a harrowing flight into deep space, encountering icy comets and deadly TIE Fighters, all before destroying an Imperial Death Star. The large, multi-tiered “Spaceport” filled the hole left by the Carousel Theater. This would negate a former proposal to replace the Adventure Thru Inner Space attraction. Inner Space would remain intact, though Star Tours would not.

Walt Disney called Tomorrowland “a world on the move.” Decades later, that notion still held true. Much as Walt predicted, the '70s Tomorrowland had become the present, and it was time to move on.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.”
- Jules Verne

wBcjXrjQgq-4aBTIpovVVwa7phdMGL0UvbActXQyIJ1qHSqUP5LzXklPEYVvFJgeRb_8Vij06mBT5SSJ8Goju6-R8fugCDowlz2vxccgx6BJIRWvslaekd4FJEPTKbLo89LbsrFz

Tomorrowland 2155 recalls the belief in a nonsensical world where the realities of science and today blend with the mysteries of yesterday and tomorrow. Imagine a vision of the future with its roots in the past. In this kinetic metropolis, the great thinkers and dreamers of the 19th Century have clashed with the color and imagination of Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and Walt Disney. Amidst the landed spacecraft, whirring contraptions and bizarre creatures from the darkest space, the “future that never was” has finally arrived.

Tomorrowland 2155 is a remnant of Eisner’s Disney Decade. Tony Baxter led the third ever redesign for Tomorrowland in the Park’s then-40-year lifespan. Construction began in 1992 on a new vision of the future to be opened in the summer of 1994. Tomorrowland 2155 would defy expectations and, above all, give Disneyland a timeless Tomorrowland that would last forever… Or would it?

Tomorrowland 2155 was inspired by the optimistic machine age of the '30s, early publications of Mechanix Illustrated and Amazing Stories, and the future fantasies portrayed by Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. Tomorrowland was now timeless. WESTCOT Center opened four years later with a “Future World” of its own, a better and more realistic glimpse into the future than Tomorrowland ever had been.

Star Tours went on to inspire Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Star Tours closed and relocated. A new IP moved in. Galaxy’s Edge, though set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, took the idea of Tomorrowland 2155 and perfected it. By 2019, Tomorrowland had dropped the “2155” entirely. The intent for a beautiful, thriving starport of intergalactic life and travel remained, but was held in an entirely new light, content and era. Tomorrowland is still timeless, though now, there is no set timeline.

1583018553319.png

A construction crew, using a backhoe to bury some electrical cable, unearthed a weird series of crystals deep beneath Tomorrowland. These stones were in actuality ancient, intergalactic beacons that had been buried centuries before by a sentient race. Now, uncovered and exposed to sunlight, the crystals have begun to undulate with an ethereal light, transmitting messages deep into space that Earth is finally an advanced enough civilization that it could begin accepting visits from extraterrestrials.

These same crystals and rock formations flank the entrance to Tomorrowland today, pulsating with light in an ethereal, almost alien glow. These formations were indeed "uncovered" in the construction of New Tomorrowland. Clocks of all shape, size, and style are strewn along the rock-work, their hands spinning rapidly backward and forward. The starport beyond stands as an advanced, “modernized” metropolis.

Outlandish and wholeheartedly bizarre, this current Tomorrowland blends the aesthetic of steampunk with the color, neon and imagination of a science-fiction comic-book. H.G. Wells, Jules Verne and Leonardo Da Vinci all “live” here. In fact, die-hard Disney Fans might recognize the skeleton of Tomorrowland 2155 to be a cross between the Tomorrowland of Walt Disney World and the Discoveryland of Disneyland Paris.

The metropolis of Tomorrowland isn’t a conceptual place - it’s a habitable one. People and aliens live, work, and play in this urban landscape. The old Tomorrowland of 1967 was based around movement and kinetics, with the PeopleMover, Rocket Jets and Monorail dominating the skyline. This is still the case, only much has changed…

1583018934482.png

The WEDWay PeopleMover became the Tomorrowland Transit Authority in 1994. The PeopleMover cars travel four to a train - each car seats four people. Passengers board the PeopleMover by stepping onto a rotating platform. As we approach the station, the PeopleMover cars move the same speed we are traveling aboard the rotating platform, so all we have to do is step aboard the nearest car! Now, safely aboard, we settle in and take a tour.

Walt Disney’s long affiliation with aviation dates back to the original Astro-Jets, first introduced in 1956. But it was his lasting fascination with science, innovation and the challenge of outer space that ultimately led to the creation of the elevated Rocket Jets and its “Atomic Age” adventures.

The Orbitron stands high in the sky amid a gleaming constellation of stars and planets, a suited replacement for the former Rocket Jets. An elevator lifts space travelers to a platform two-stories high, where they board not a self-controlled rocket, but instead an exhilarating, astronomical jet-pack. The new technology is a cutting edge, sci-fi-fantasy, where passengers dance, float and sail through the air in rocket-powered backpacks connected to the Orbitron through 16 mechanical arms.

Cosmic Way is the central thoroughfare. Kinetic sculptures, video walls and electronic advertisements allude to the innovation and mystique of “tomorrow,” complete with one odd gadget after the next built to save on human labor. Storefront windows display robots performing household chores. In the esplanade at the end of Cosmic Way, the streamlined Orbitron looks to the stars. The narrow “mall” of Cosmic Way has an attraction on either side; one to the north, The Visionarium: From Time to Time, and one to the south, Adventure Thru Inner Space.

1583019167119.png

Franz Reichelt, parachute pioneer, is the namesake for Reichelt Hangar, home of the zeppelin, The Hyperion. The Astronomer’s Club inside is the star restaurant of Tomorrowland. Here, a Victorian observatory examines the universe through an antique telescope aimed heavenward.

Dining amidst Renaissance charts and maps of the Final Frontier, we are introduced in-person to such iconic visionaries as Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton and Leonardo Da Vinci. The astronomers spin tales of the stars and discovery. It all makes a fitting portal for the main attraction housed in Reichelt Hangar, The Visionarium: From Time to Time.

The first Circarama film, A Tour of the West, was an original attraction at Disneyland. America the Beautiful replaced A Tour of the West in June 1960, and was later updated and replaced in 1967. Innovations in photographic and movie projection methods allowed a 360-degree view of the presentation, a Walt Disney developed method known as Circarama, or "Circle-Vision 360." 1994 would bring “From Time to Time” a popular attraction based on the French "Le Visionarium," which played at Disneyland Paris beginning in 1992. The film received an “American” re-edit, with additional scenes, voiceover and removals to cater to a new audience.

The Visionarium: From Time to Time was the first CircleVision-360 film to have a plot and characters. The Timekeeper, an esteemed robot-scientist, has discovered time travel and has recently built his first ever time machine. He sends an advanced probe, with nine cameras, back and forth through time, aptly named “9-Eye.” Robin Williams and Rhea Perlman starred as Timekeeper and 9-Eye respectively.

The Metropolis Science Center opened inside Reichelt Hangar with the rest of Tomorrowland 2155. The original pre-show and holding areas for America the Beautiful were completely refurbished. The Science Center is filled with the various experiments of Timekeeper, as well as a detailed history of prototypes and builds for 9-Eye. Animated “portholes” look into a futuristic city-scape “outside.”

"The Timekeeper" closed with no foreseeable replacement in 2007. The theater would be used for meet ‘n’ greets and special events, mostly geared toward Annual Passholders. This, however, changed after the tragic death of Robin Williams on August 11, 2014.

Soon after, the Disney Parks Blog announced the return of From Time to Time for a "limited, exclusive engagement" at Disneyland Park starting in February 2015. The defunct Timekeeper and 9-Eye Audio-Animatronics, who had been kept under tarps for nearly eight years, were restored. Ironically, the “limited engagement” has remained ever since, and the now popular attraction has been remastered in high-definition with a new form of 3D technology implemented to accommodate the 360-degree series of screens and footage.

One of the most unusual attractions, a staple of old New Tomorrowland, has survived: Adventure Thru Inner Space.

“I am passing beyond the magnification limits of even the most powerful microscope...what compelling force draws me into this mysterious darkness? Surely it must be my imagination.”

The Pan-Galactic Center of Medical Innovation is famous for its dedication to biological science and the human, or extraterrestrial anatomy. In a “true-life” adventure adapted from the classic attraction, the current Inner Space is an atmospheric masterpiece narrated not by Paul Frees, but instead by Tim Curry.

This new adventure, opened in 1995, is an exploration through the microscopic world found inside an alien creature’s body. From the safety of our “Atom-Mobile,” we are shrunken to the size of a blood cell via the Mighty Microscope. What danger and mystery lies ahead is anyone’s guess…Our host, an unseen biologist, is our narrator and guide through the peril and excitement, he himself having been trapped inside the specimen for longer than reason.

7VGuimcsZJC29YtA5gxG6ny4mWs-CP-hd2dTztUx_WsO47x1q3amxzczTX4f3iExvRB_zJI4LfAdibDQDsDYNG7XM6MKeAZQz0ESDRVsfRUdrsnVVa5VFCt9OLSRUliwPEbpGnZv

Merchant of Venus not so oddly became a superstore for Lilo & Stitch in 2002 at the height of the film's popularity. Stitch's "Cousins" can be seen wandering through a mural of Tomorrowland found in the store.

1583021313095.png

On May 27, 1977, two days after the blockbuster release of Star Wars, Disneyland began sending guests on their own journey into superspace. Space Mountain was completed at a cost of $18 million, and anchored an entire new complex that also included the Starcade, Space Place Restaurant, and the Tomorrowland Space Stage (later the Magic Eye Theater). The intergalactic mission was launched by the very first Americans into space, the original Project Mercury astronauts: Captain Scott Carpenter, Colonel Gordon Cooper, Senator John Glenn, Captain Walter Schirra, Admiral Alan Shepard, and Donald “Deke” Slayton, along with Betty Grissom, widow of Apollo I astronaut Gus Grissom. “Just like the real thing!” They would know; and now, so would Disneyland guests.

As would-be space travelers approach the escalator-entrance to Space Mountain, they hear the mysterious and eerie sound of rocket technicians preparing for launch on a closed circuit radio broadcast, accompanied by the haunting reverberations of synthesized musical interludes.

In 1996, each Space Mountain “rocket-train” was given an onboard audio system. In 2003, Space Mountain, already due for a major refurbishment, was closed to incorporate a completely rebuilt ride track, state-of-the-art special effects and show elements, new vehicles, an upgraded onboard audio system, and an original musical score from veteran composer Michael Giacchino.

Space Mountain relaunched on July 15, 2005, as part of The Happiest Homecoming on Earth, celebrating fifty years at Disneyland. This time the guest of honor was no less a luminary than Neil Armstrong himself, the first man to walk on the moon. The revitalized attraction looked, sounded, and felt better than ever upon its triumphant return.

The Space Place Restaurant became the Pan-Galactic Pizza Port in 1994. The restaurant, a clone from Tokyo Disneyland, is a multimedia dinner show with an Audio-Animatronics “Tony Solaroni.” Solaroni has a boss and a wife who are always breathing down his neck, and is the charismatic mechanic behind a large machine that delivers pizza anywhere in the galaxy. His pizza includes all our favorite flavors, and some unique “extraterrestrial” varieties.

But, Tony doesn’t work alone. Oh no, for the Pan-Galactic Pizza Port is also home to the one, the only…

Sonny Eclipse, the “biggest little star in the galaxy!” His 27-minute set of tunes - and wisecracks - has been enjoyed by diners multiple times a day since ‘94. This literal “lounge lizard” tickles the glowing keys of his Astro-Organ, an invention devised in his hometown of Yew Nork City on the Planet Zork, “a topsy-turvy town where the subways are up and the streets are down.” Sonny’s favorite songs include “Planetary Boogie,” “Gravity Blues,” “Bright Little Star” and more. “You know, I recently heard the universe was expanding. Guess it’s time to loosen the asteroid belt!

Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, an attraction added in 1998, closed in 2013. The Magic Eye Theater later held an “exclusive sneak peek” of Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy, beginning July 4, 2014. Guardians of the Galaxy grossed $773.3 million worldwide. CEO Bob Iger needed no further convincing. Tomorrowland would become the home of Disneyland's first ever Marvel Studios attraction.

1583021884164.png

Guardians of the Galaxy - Destination: Tomorrowland was designed as a throwback adventure. Tanaleer Tivan, a.k.a. The Collector, has brought his collection of fantastical fauna, relics and species from across the cosmos to earth for the very first time. He displays his latest acquisition… “Relics of Tomorrowland Past” in the Tomorrowland Exhibition Hall - old PeopleMover cars, the Rocket Jets, Audio-Animatronics from the Carousel of Progress, forgotten ruins of the original Submarine Voyage, it’s all here. But alas, the Collector has unwittingly acquired an Abilisk, a multi-dimensional tentacled monster known for devouring the power sources of unwitting planets. The Abilisk was, of course, frozen in an acquired chunk of Matterhorn Bobsleds ice.

The Collector’s infinite containers have been drained of power, and all the creatures, fauna and sentients are loose in this exhilarating crisis. The Collector has hired the Guardians to exterminate the problematic Abilisk and restore order to his hundreds upon thousands of escaped specimens. Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket, Drax, Mantis, and Groot arrive on “Terra” (Earth) to complete their assignment and reclaim the Tivan Collection for Tomorrowland.

The Magic Eye Theater was not large enough for what WED had intended for their new attraction. Thus, the Starcade would close and become a large portion of the attraction’s queue. The old theater was entirely gutted and leveled, now the first half of an impressive, oddly formatted show building. The first half of the attraction would travel down a narrow corridor and around the perimeter of Space Mountain (unbeknownst to riders). The rest of the attraction, the “meat” so to speak, would all take place nestled against the backside of Space Mountain before returning to the former Magic Eye through the opposite side of that same narrow corridor. It was an ingenious use of a limited space.

1583022307816.png

X-S Tech, an evil corporation from a distant planet, has invited us to “seize the future” and witness the extraordinary power of their latest advancement, the X-S 2000 Teleportation System. A demonstration of the technology is intended to transport Chairman Clench to Earth… But a botched transmission instead results in the accidental arrival of a bloodthirsty creature from a different planet… Angered, hungry, and confused, the alien monster breaks loose from the teleportation tube, and that’s where the fun begins.

Gnashing fangs, warm breath, hot drool, shattering glass, and a slimy tongue are among the extrasensory sights, sounds and thrills in this ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter. Shoulder restraints simulate the alien running free, enhanced by a binaural sound system.

The infrastructure from Mission to Mars remained but became the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center. The Convention Center welcomes us to experience the latest in scientific innovation and design from the various corporate leagues of the known universe. A stone “mural” on the facade is in portrayal of demoralized humans holding the crippling weight of Greek gods and goddesses. If that weren’t warning enough, there are intensity warnings - everywhere. This is not an attraction for children.

The updated attraction from 1994 features the talents of Nia Vardalos (Dr. Femus), John Michael Higgins (Spinlock), and Kelsey Grammer (Clench). The late Phil Hartman was retained as the voice of T.O.M. 2000 from 2004 onward.

Star Tours had once filled a hole left by the Carousel Theater. Now, relocated to Galaxy's Edge, the empty site would begin an incredible and brisk transformation into a new attraction, one in which would premiere on April 26, 2021, two years after the release date of Avengers: Endgame.

1583022616100.png

The Avengers Initiative has come to Tomorrowland.

The Stark Expo offers an all-access look into the company’s legacy of changing the world for the better, before introducing the ground-breaking technology that will shape our future. Displayed are innumerable Stark innovations that will change and improve our home today and the visionary thinking that will transform our entire world tomorrow.

The Stark Expo is divided into several exhibition halls. In the Hall of Protection, we glimpse a number of Iron Man and War Machine suits, including the famous MARK III suit and other leading advancements in the sphere of defense. The Hall of Energy details how an arc reactor could provide enough clean and sustainable energy to power an entire city. The Hall of Mobility holds the latest technological masterpiece from Stark Industries - the gravity-defying Iron Bike.

Each flying “Expo Edition” Iron Bike is powered by its own arc reactor and features all the latest Stark Industries technology - including heavy-duty armor plating, artificial intelligence and self-healing infrastructure. We pick up a pair of StarkVision glasses, and prepare to be launched into a whole new era!

Once cleared for take-off on our personal Iron Bike, we are launched rapidly from Tomorrowland and taken on a thrilling, 360-degree aerial tour of a fully-rendered Wakanda for a unique perspective on the latest and tallest addition to their Skyline, the Wakandan Avengers Tower. However, a word of warning - there are reports of Hydra elements operating in the region. Be prepared for action!

After a series of mishaps and dangerous situations caused by Hydra robotics and weaponry, led by Arnim Zola, Jarvis and Iron Man himself take the controls. Suddenly, the Iron Bike is intercepted by a gargantuan Hydra “octopus” hellbent on stealing the arc reactor from atop the Avengers Tower. To build excitement, the Avengers are all here - Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Bruce Banner, Thor - everyone.

This attraction immerses us into the Marvel Cinematic Universe for an unforgettable, high-definition, digital 3D adventure!

Expo Gifts is the epicenter of all Marvel merchandise, gadgets and comic-books for available purchase. The Hall of Fame is found in the same complex as the Stark Expo. In this expansive museum and tribute to "Earth's Greatest Heroes," we discover one detailed exhibition after the next in honor of almost every hero in the Marvel Canon - Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange - everyone is here, even Deadpool. We can even meet some of our favorite heroes, including, but not limited to Thor, Spider-Man, Captain America and Groot.

The original Submarine Voyage debuted in 1959. The attraction was loosely inspired by the 1958 voyage to the North Pole by the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus. The attraction enjoyed a 39-year run at Disneyland Park, setting sail for the last time on September 7, 1998. Its successor uses the same lagoon and submarines, significantly redesigned. In a most ingenious use of space, the massive show building of the original and current Submarine Voyage pulls double duty; grass and trees were planted on top so that the monorail pylons, Autopia cars, and later, the aerial highways of the PeopleMover, could be built and expanded on over time.

When Walt Disney World debuted in 1971, a sister attraction to the Subs opened in the Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland, a “recast” adventure focused not on the underlying technology, but rather on the unbelievable voyage itself. The ride was remarkably similar to the original attraction in story and execution and featured a similar script, only, the Captain was Nemo, and our ship was the Nautilus that would bring us “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” The new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage was a superior and more beloved attraction than the Disneyland original in which it was based.

“The Suits” realized that Atlantis: The Lost Empire would be Animation’s next big success when it was released a few years later in 2001. So, foolishly, in early 1999, WED was commissioned to overhaul the one-time futuristic attraction and adapt the fantastical look of the Ulysses submarine from the upcoming film, and a storyline more in touch with the imagination: a quest for the lost city of Atlantis.

2001 came and went. Atlantis: The Lost Empire failed to make a splash. The new attraction, near completion, was based on Animation’s first major bomb since The Black Cauldron. Eisner panicked. The failure of the film would certainly spell doom for the upcoming and remarkably expensive Tomorrowland attraction. Enter Tony Baxter.

53jmYNpqKkQ5sBumokIxhcLarg039at-lO5L8Yh7s2UhLVFQSZW8UemKQWWdhr9WNAdS20iufGVknnRI2NCASMNzGAKeunHb8PVPsHIQR-TSZAlY3DAhpAeFOenh6-ud3RJ7Gvxu

Baxter argued that the near-complete Atlantis Expedition could be salvaged, but only with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A simple reconstruction of the old subs (that had yet to begin their transformation into Ulysses lookalikes), narration, soundtrack, and certain scenes in the already-constructed overhaul could blend well with the Jules Verne adventure. Better yet, if H.G. Wells, Galileo Galilei and Verne himself could all live as “residents” in Tomorrowland 2155, then why not have the fictional Captain Nemo of Verne’s story live here, too?

The old Submarine Voyage became the current 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Atlantis Expedition. The signature piece, or at least one of them, of the updated attraction is its fleet of passenger submarines, each rebuilt and restructured from the 1959 hulls and adapted for theme park use from Harper Goff’s Nautilus design from the 1954 Disney film. The original hulls were rebuilt in the drained lagoon, often in full sight of passers-by. The new interiors are a mix of metal paneling, rivets, bolts, and other Victorian-esque fittings in the form of passenger seats that can flip outwards, and armrests beneath the portholes. Each of the eight vehicles accommodate a total of thirty-eight riders, and each rider has their own porthole. Capacity and hazardous energy problems of the original attraction were solved and reestablished. A version of the attraction for handicap visitors was also established - a video of the attraction was shown in a private room near the load dock.

In the meanwhile, the volcanic island "Vulcania" had formed in the heart of the old sub lagoon. The Disneyland Monorail now traveled through a series of hissing lava vents and magma-laden caverns before returning to the Tomorrowland station. The Nautilus subs cautiously “dove” beneath the volcano and into its hearth via waterfall-draped caverns. The island can be counted on to erupt without warning, spewing pyrotechnic steam and fire into the skies. And deep within the interior, Nemo and his crew have built a hidden base, including an undersea homeport for the Nautilus and a scientific research laboratory such as the world has never known.

During our voyage, we explore a tropical reef and the polar ice caps, navigate a graveyard of lost ships, survive a requisite encounter with a giant squid and a silly sea serpent, and discover benevolent humanoids in the formerly lost continent of Atlantis, who help our sub make an emergency return to the surface when all seems lost. But, the true highlight comes in our exploration of an underwater volcano. A horrific “lava monster” attacks our Nautilus as fireballs flare up from the molten, sub-aquatic rock. The volcano erupts, sending our sub spiraling through a lava tube and directly into the lost continent of Atlantis.

The outdoor portion of the attraction
is underwater. But, as soon as the subs enter the show building, an “air-lock” of sorts drains the water and leaves the vehicles moving through dry-air. The submarines’ portholes - which the Imagineers dubbed “bubble windows” - are, in fact, double-paned glass panels filled with liquid into which bubbles are blown, a design element unique to this attraction and its sister in Tokyo DisneySea. The undersea locations and sea creatures inside the show building are actually dry dimensional sets, props, animated figures, projections, and murals that only appear to be submerged.

iM5vnLKmypMt2RwSbrwXn6nN5DfHdTGfldkMHR_k4g0FA2wk9NEvNEZv2pontvU3JRRCTOdFQCfZ5aR42URQG-OONR4d5FzYn7i7qPqAuqpwOID4xbMLpx-mpAzMPEeGGOTSuWcN

The future meets the festive in this reconceived entrance and queue area for the Autopia, as depicted in the above artwork by Eric Heschong. The entire design exudes the lightness, speed, and motion associated with the attraction, and the vibrant color palette and finishes speak to the attraction’s promise of “just plain fun.”

Autopia is the only existing Tomorrowland attraction dating back to Disneyland Park’s Opening Day in 1955. When the cars first took to the road, they captured America’s fascination with the latest transportation innovation, the “freeway.” Over the years, the roadways and car styles have been updated, but the fun stays the same. Featuring a working gas pedal and steering wheel, each classy roadster seats 2 adults or 3 children and navigates curves and inclines just like the real thing.

Today, the Autopia cars are powered through means of clean energy - electricity. The current “freeway” through the rolling hills and countryside of Tomorrowland has, notably, a number of peculiar additions and sights, including topiary gardens, alien jungles and, naturally, a landed extraterrestrial spacecraft right above the track.

qgp2jC5MK1FLbq4x1mGyIocJGIT3d3N9FHIoM8RkfTIdFJ4HIKQScaa8UL_J4oceCTwUlyhqX8YXXaJ_F4U7D13N3STIpIAuJqcxWqpGRPhMslGG-6mibCvwAC3eTg0WX_rG_5d2

The Tomorrowland Terrace debuted as part of the 1967 New Tomorrowland. A space age bandshell ascended to reveal the entertainment and descended to transform back into a futuristic planter with fresh flowers and weird spires. Imagineer Rolly Crump designed the clever restaurant of Mid-Century Modernism and managed to design it so well, that the original stage and restaurant have never left. The old restaurant remains today, still hosting live entertainment and wonderful meals for all to enjoy.

Night has fallen on our day at Disneyland Park. Tomorrowland is perhaps the most visually striking land in the Magic Kingdom after dark. The starport is awash in hues of neon, blue, purple and green, shimmering and dancing off the metallic spires, twisted arches and jagged rock formations. Bizarre plant-life is aglow in bio-fluorescent light.

In a peculiar way, the ominous yet romantic light and atmosphere of this futuristic world after nightfall recall not the optimistic future of our own imagination, but instead the imagined future of the 19th and 20th Centuries. After Tomorrowland underwent its refurbishment and became Tomorrowland 2155 in 1994, the original atmospheric music changed to reflect a mixture of modern electro-synthetic musical impressions, interwoven with recognizable themes from Disney’s many film productions and former attractions from Tomorrow’s past.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
And now, a recap of everything found inside Mirror Disneyland. Take note that some referenced locations (including attractions) were not initially referenced in the original overview. They will be referenced at a later time, either in between WESCOT updates, before, or after. I promise, even some of the more outlandish inclusions will make sense once all is said and done.

Mirror Disneyland

*Not Covered in Initial Overview - Covered at a Later Date

Main Street, U.S.A.

Attractions & Entertainment
1. Disneyland Railroad
- Grand Canyon Diorama
- Primeval World Diorama
2. The Walt Disney Story (Featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln)
3. Main Street Vehicles
- Fire Engine
- Omnibus
- Horseless Carriage
- Horse-Drawn Streetcar
4. Hook 'n' Ladder Co.
5. Dapper Dans
6. Disneyland Band
7. Main Street Cinema
8. Penny Arcade & Shooting Gallery
9. Keystone Cops
10. Fantasy on Parade
11. Unnamed Firework Spectacular*
12. Main Street Electrical Parade

Shopping & Dining
1. Newsstands
2. The Mad Hatter*
3. Walt's Hobbies*
4. Main Street Emporium
5. Wurlitzer Music Hall
6. Great American Egg House
7. Great American Pastimes
8. Magic Shop
9. Market House
10. Main Street Flower Mart
11. Walgreen's Apothecary
12. Candle Shop
13. Book Store
14. Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant
15. Sunkist Citrus House
16. Candy Palace
17. Corner Cafe
18. Hallmark Store
19. Disney Clothiers Ltd.
20. Silhouette Studio
21. Crystal Arts
22. China Closet
23. Nikon Photo Supply
24. Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe
25. Plaza Inn
26. Little Red Wagon Corn Dog Cart

Liberty Street

1. The American Adventure
2. Revolutionary History Museum
3. Fife & Drums Corps.
4. The Muppets Present...Great Moments in American History

Shopping & Dining
1. Blacksmith Shop
2. Paul Revere's Silver Shop
3. Washington Tavern
4. Regal Eagle Smokehouse*
5. New England Print Shop
6. Samuel Osgood, Postmaster General
7. Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe
8. Colonial Shoppers

Tomorrowland

1. Adventure Thru Inner Space
2. The Visionarium: From Time to Time
3. Space Mountain
4. Guardians of the Galaxy - Destination: Tomorrowland
5. ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter
6. The Avengers Initiative
7. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Atlantis Expedition
8. Autopia
9. Orbitron
10. Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
11. Monsters, Inc. Ride & Go Seek*
12. Hall of Fame
13. Disneyland Railroad
14. Disneyland Monorail
15. Tomorrowland Terrace Entertainment*

Shopping & Dining
1. The Astronomer's Club
2. Merchant of Venus
3. Pan-Galactic Pizza Port
4. Tivan Trade Show*
5. Expo Gifts
6. Autopia Winner's Circle*
7. Tomorrowland Terrace
8. Monsters, Inc. Company Store*

*Ride & Go Seek is the obvious sore thumb. We'll explore this inclusion in a forthcoming post, of course.

Fantasyland

1. Storytelling at Royal Theatre
2. Royal Hall (Meet 'n' Greets)
3. Snow White Grotto
4. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough & Dragon's Lair
5. Make-Believe Brass
6. Sword in the Stone Ceremony
7. King Arthur Carrousel
8. Snow White's Scary Adventures
9. Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins
10. Pooh's Hunny Hunt
11. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
12. Peter Pan's Flight
13. Storybook Land Canal Boats
14. Alice in Wonderland
15. Mad Tea Party
16. Matterhorn Bobsleds
17. it's a small world
18. Frozen Ever After* (formerly Enchanted Snow Palace)
19. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
20. Casey Jr. Circus Train
21. Pinocchio's Daring Journey
22. Pete's Silly Sideshow*
23. Carnival Corral
24. Toy Story Mania!
25. Disneyland Railroad
26. Royal Summerhus*
27. Fantasyland Theater*

Shopping & Dining

1. Fairy Tale Treasures
2. Maurice's Treats
3. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
4. Castle Heraldry Shoppe
5. Pooh Corner
6. Hook's Galley
7. The Mad Hatter*
8. Small World Imports
9. Geppetto's Toy Tent
10. Big Top Souvenirs
11. Big Top Treats
12. Wandering Oaken's Trading Post & Sauna*
13. Edelweiss Snacks*

Hollywoodland

1. Red Car Trolley
2. Citizens of Hollywoodland
3. Five & Dime
4. CineMagic
5. Disney Animation
- Animation Academy
- Sorcerer's Workshop
- Back to Neverland
- Jim Henson's Muppet Workshop
- Turtle Talk with Crush
6. Roger Rabbit's Runaway Trolley
7. The Great Movie Ride
8. Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D
9. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Shopping & Dining
1. Philippe's
2. Oswald's Filling Station
3. Terminal Bar
4. Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe
5. Ink & Paint Club
6. ACME Gag Factory
7. Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor
8. Muppet Company Store
9. Hotel Gifts

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

1. Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
2. Star Tours
3. Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
4. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Shopping & Dining
1. Smiga's Bantha Shack
2. First Order Cargo
3. Otoh Gunga Delights
4. Oga's Cantina
5. Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities
6. Droid Depot
7. Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo
8. Ronto Roasters
9. Kat Saka's Kettle
10. Black Spire Outfitters
11. Toydarian Toymaker
12. Creature Stall
13. Savi's Workshop
14. Resistance Supply

Frontierland

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
2. Mark Twain Riverboat
3. Sailing Ship Columbia
4. Woody's Roundup
5. Thunder Mesa Expedition
6. Fantasmic!

Shopping & Dining
1. General Store
2. Westward Ho! Clothing Co.
3. Assay Office
4. Golden Horseshoe Saloon
- Golden Horseshoe Revue
5. Silver Banjo Barbecue
6. Toy Barn
7. Stagedoor Cafe*
8. Sailing Ship Columbia Imports*

New Orleans Square

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
2. The Haunted Mansion
3. Royal Street Bachelors
4. The Disney Gallery
5. Rogues' Gallery
6. Jambalaya Jazz Band
7. Disneyland Railroad

Shopping & Dining
1. Blue Bayou Restaurant
2. Club 33
3. Pieces of Eight
4. One-of-a-Kind Shop
5. Lafitte Jewelers
6. Cristal d'Orleans
7. Mlle. Antoinette's Perfumerie
8. Caricature Portrait Artist
9. Flower Mart
10. Port d'Orleans
11. Creole Cafe
12. French Market
13. Mint Julep Bar
14. Dr. Facilier's Voodoo Emporium
15. Harbour Galley*

Folktale Forest

1. Splash Mountain
2. Country Bear Playhouse
3. The Bluegrass Boys
4. Hoedown Happening
5. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
6. Mike Fink Keel Boats
7. Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
8. Pecos Bill's Wilderness Arcade

Shopping & Dining
1. Johnny Appleseed's Fruit Cart
2. Little Hiawatha Trading Post
3. Aunt Polly's Kitchen
4. Paul Bunyan's Mile Long Bar
5. Crocodile Mercantile
6. Country Bear Bandwagon*
7. Professor Peter P. Possum's Photographic Art Studio*

Adventureland

1. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
2. Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition

- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Raging Spirits
3. The Jungle Cruise
4. Swiss Family Treehouse
5. Aladdin's Enchanted Passage
6. Colonel Hathi's Safari Club

Shopping & Dining
1. Tahitian Terrace Restaurant
- Moana: The Heart of Te Fiti
2. Adventureland Bazaar
3. South Seas Traders
4. Angry Rhino Tavern
5. Adventureland Veranda
6. Tiki Juice Bar
7. Tropical Imports*

So, thus "ends" our roughly 215 - 230 Acre "Mirror Disneyland," an alternate reality Magic Kingdom where Walt was given the blessing of size and finances from the get-go. Does everything fit? Probably not. Is this a masterpiece? By all means, no. Am I content with what I have made? Yes. 100%. I can comfortably say that after however many dream resorts and mirror parks I have attempted over the past few years, this one and this version is by far my favorite. I'm happy, and I hope you are happy, too.

The finished Mirror Disneyland clocks in at 97 Attractions! By comparison, the real-life Disneyland only has roughly 48. Let that sink in. Granted, I am also counting in those 97 Attractions, every last bit of entertainment, including meet 'n' greet-specific locations. So not all 97 of those are rides. How many combined shops and restaurants are there in Mirror Disneyland? Oh, only 115. That's not even including the many snack carts found throughout the lands.

So yes, Mirror Disneyland is highly unrealistic and for sure a product of an alternate-dimension. Can you imagine what WESTCOT will look like? Tune in next time to find out...

Twilight_Roxas

This is great. I know it’s a bit late, but since Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway has open will it be included in Hollywoodland somewhere in the future?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
This is great. I know it’s a bit late, but since Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway has open will it be included in Hollywoodland somewhere in the future?

No, probably not! I'm considering adding it at some point, but maybe not in WESTCOT or Disneyland... Who knows what the alternate-dimension of Mirror Disneyland holds!

This introduction to WestCOT Center borrows much text and inspiration from Maps of the Disney Parks (Text by Kevin and Susan Neary), Theme Park Tourist.com, Yesterland.com, Wikipedia, and of course, Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real.

"But the most exciting and by far the most important part of our Florida project…in fact, the heart of everything we’ll be doing in Disney World…will be our Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow! We call it E.P.C.O.T.

1583365078822.png

E.P.C.O.T will be an experimental prototype community of tomorrow that will take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry. It will be a community of tomorrow that will never be completed, but will always be introducing and testing and demonstrating new materials and systems.

And E.P.C.O.T will always be a showcase to the world for the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise. I don’t believe there’s a challenge anywhere in the world that’s more important to people everywhere than finding solutions to the problems of our cities. But where do we begin… how do we start answering this great challenge? Well, we’re convinced we must start with the public need. And the need is for starting from scratch on virgin land and building a special kind of new community.

1583365170587.png

So that’s what E.P.C.O.T is… an experimental prototype community that will always be in a state of becoming. It will never cease to be a living blueprint of the future, where people actually live a life they can’t find anywhere else in the world. Everything in E.P.C.O.T will be dedicated to the happiness of the people who will live, work, and play here… and to those who come here from all around the world to visit our living showcase. We don’t presume to know all the answers. In fact, we’re counting on the cooperation of American industry to provide their best thinking during the planning and creation of our Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow….

And most important of all, when E.P.C.O.T has become a reality and we find the need for technologies that don’t even exist today, it’s our hope that E.P.C.O.T
will stimulate American industry to develop new solutions that will meet the needs of people expressed right here in this experimental community."
- Walt Disney

Walt knew he would not see the completion of his "Florida Project" and that the job would be left to his brother Roy. Still, Walt would sit in his hospital bed at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Burbank, across from his beloved Studio, and there, despite his condition, would plot and map the design of his new Florida property among the ceiling tiles of his hospital room. Later, when Roy would come and visit, Walt would explain the location of the Magic Kingdom and other Guest experiences he was designing. Walt also plotted what he had called his "greatest gift to mankind"; and that was to be EPCOT Center.

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, the actual geographic center of the 43-square-mile resort was where EPCOT Center was later placed. It was called the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. It was designed as an ever-changing laboratory where the greatest minds could come together and resolve the world's problems, as well as a community of nations that would serve as a showcase of harmony and goodwill. Though this visualized "Progress City" was never built, a spectacular scale model was (and still is) presented to passengers aboard the PeopleMover in both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. As Walt envisioned it, people would actually live and work in Epcot - an idea that came true thirty-years later at Celebration, a community of homes, shops and workplaces built on a portion of the Walt Disney World property.

In the late '70s, then-CEO Card Walker wanted to revisit the EPCOT idea, even if the Disney Board was wary and agreed that Walt's vision for EPCOT would certainly not work in Walt's design. The result of a compromise was the EPCOT Center theme park, which opened on October 1, 1982.

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome. Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere."
- E. Cardon Walker

1583366210033.png

EPCOT Center celebrated culture, diversity and cutting edge technology focused on our humanity, history, and the world we live in. The original "Epcot" relied heavily on corporate and international sponsorship in the development of its many large-scale pavilions and attractions. The concept, in hindsight, was simple: EPCOT Center would be a permanent World’s Fair.

After surviving, albeit narrowly, a number of hostile takeover attempts following the death of Walt Disney in 1966, the Walt Disney Company brought in Michael Eisner (as CEO) and Frank Wells (as President) in 1984. Eisner and Wells revitalized the name. Eisner's ambitious “Disney Decade” would broaden its family of theme parks and hotels around the world, including the creation of the Euro Disney Resort (now Disneyland Paris), Disney-MGM Studios (now Disney’s Hollywood Studios), and the largest and boldest idea ever conceived by Imagineering: WestCOT Center and the Disneyland Resort.

By the late 1980s, Walt Disney World had become the leading "Vacation Kingdom of the World." Eisner's bold additions and ideas lengthened the average "Disney" vacation and dominated Central Florida's hotel industry. And, in Walt's original Magic Kingdom, Eisner and Wells saw opportunity - the same multi-day, resort-based model that had transformed Walt Disney World overnight. Though Disneyland was always changing, near-constantly "plussed" with new lands and attractions, Walt's Park was landlocked - surrounded by gritty commerce and over-development. This, of course, would soon change...

In 1991, it was revealed that everything outside the berm of Main Street would change.

1583367758819.png

It was announced that a multi-billion dollar investment would transform Disneyland Park into the beautiful, full-fledged Disneyland Resort. The ambitious expansion would include the next generation of theme parks, multiple new hotels, a shopping, dining and entertainment district, and the state-of-the-art amphitheater, the Disneyland Bowl. The Master Plan would benefit the surrounding streets and commerce of Anaheim in its transformation into the beautiful, eco-friendly Anaheim Commercial Recreation Area. The highly regulated and visually integrated Recreation Area would remove urban clutter, visible electric lines, and mismatched locales and signage. Four decades of unrestrained development - gone. The carefully-crafted environment would boast matching signs, comfortable pedestrian paths, and the signature sense of Disney's showmanship and quality. The all-encompassing Recreation Area is serviced by an elevated, high-capacity PeopleMover and the beloved Disneyland Monorail.

WestCOT Center is arguably the biggest and most lasting mark of this historic expansion, an incredible celebration of our cultural diversity, humanity, future, and history. WestCOT Center opened on December 2, 1998. The new Disneyland Resort welcomed a number of celebrities, humanitarians and scientific thinkers alike to welcome to the world a “second Epcot.” This incredible addition stood, in its time, as the world’s most detailed, fully realized theme park, and maintained this title until the opening of Tokyo DisneySea six years later.

1583365661209.png

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Any feedback so far? Don't want to let this thread die from lack of interest!

Theme Park Tourist, Ideal Build-Out and Yesterland were the biggest help with this update!

As it stood, Walt's "Vacation Kingdom" held nothing more than Disneyland Park, the 100-acre Fantasy Lagoon and hiking trails, and a massive, industrial blacktop parking lot. Though new rides and attractions had joined its lineup, Disneyland remained much the same as it had in 1955. The expansion from the original Disneyland to the fully-realized and detailed Disneyland Resort was unprecedented in design, scale and immersion. WestCOT Center was built adjacent to Disneyland - across the Esplanade.

WestCOT tells the story of Earth’s greatest resource - its people. People from the past, present and future, and across the globe, are showcased in this tribute to our beloved planet and mankind’s achievements. The Pavilions of WestCOT's "Future World” include the Wonders of Life, Wonders of Earth, and Wonders of Science. Beyond Future World: the picturesque Seven Seas Lagoon, surrounded by the Four Corners of the World - The World of Africa, The World of Asia, The Old World, and The New World. These are the “Seven Wonders of WestCOT.”

WestCOT is a natural sibling to the original EPCOT Center in Florida. Only, in the case of WestCOT, the Park is a definite improvement in comfort and layout - "user-friendly and easy to walk," as Eisner put it. The Seven Seas Lagoon, shaped like an hourglass, divides "WestCOT East" and "WestCOT West." The visitor is able to quickly access either of the two facets of the Park at entry, as opposed to EPCOT Center, where one travels some distance through one area to get to the other. WestCOT East is Future World - WestCOT West is the Four Corners of the World - Spacestation Earth and the Seven Seas Lagoon are in the middle, a beautiful and thematic divide.

Venture Port, the "Main Street" or "Hub" of WestCOT Center, also rests in the middle. A lush thoroughfare and island that establishes and emphasizes the importance of Nature in a worthwhile Future. The island, home to Spacestation Earth, has a bridge on either side that leads 'cross the waters and to WestCOT East or WestCOT West.

Venture Port

ArSVLV8g1O2p6m5eXT4t1Q068cu9Sh4ESDfcpG2fGO0eDL3Bb2-MyVZkQh3DmUOZe3AncmPyKSYgpgx4pnliO-MDKAaetunNrPPYUel-ZxyQB-Dmm-wBFYx0cJle7xOgJehF28Zs

“A futuristic gateway from which guests embark on magical journeys to the Wonders of WestCOT’s themed Pavilions.”

Our adventure begins in the breathtaking and awe-inspired Venture Port, the WestCOT alternative to Main Street, U.S.A.

Venture Port is a far cry from the drab turnstiles and concrete plains of the elder Epcot. In their place - impressive water features, tropical gardens and trees - lots and lots of trees. If you feel as if your jaw is ready to hit the floor upon entry, that’s expected. Venture Port has that effect on people.

Venture Port has all the traditional amenities. The lush and oasis-like trees, flowerbeds and lagoons aesthetically complement the expected locales of Guest Relations, the Nikon Camera Center, First Aid & Baby Care, Guest Relations, and Locker Rentals, as well as the sweeping Venture Port Mercantile. The entrance to Venture Port from the Resort Esplanade is not through a bland and industrial turnstile, but instead through a greenhouse-like latticework of steel and glass draped in vines and "alien" flowers, a futuristic “conservatory” if you will.

Venture Port Mercantile is a respective stand-in for the Main Street Emporium, though here, the well-stocked bazaar is futuristic and undulating in light and brilliant color, rather than standing as a turn-of-the-century shopping mall. Video walls, holograms and self-checkout kiosks (which were a huge deal back in the '90s) enhance the shopper's would-be average experience. Indoor water features, garden-fixtures and decorative, "working" robots further enhance the immersion and sense of time and place.

The
Seven Seas Tavern is perhaps in emulation of Manhattan's famous "Tavern on the Green," an indoor-outdoor immersion in the world of fine dining, comfort and luxury. The stylized Art Deco and Red Brick Veneer tavern has been visually and aesthetically overwhelmed with a blend between natural vegetation and "futuristic" add-ons, all the while offering water-side dining and spectacular views of Spacestation Earth and the Four Corners of the World.

The
Futurist's Trading Company and Mouse Gear complete Venture Port's merchandise offerings. The Fountain of Nations, a beautiful, "natural" fountain in the foreground of Spacestation Earth, displays a fountain show every half-hour, a phosphorescent and geyser-like touch to its already gorgeous surroundings of tropical trees and volcanic rock formations. Venture Port Café is, like the Main Street Market House, WestCOT Center's location for Starbucks Coffee and other casual dining entrees. We can also find Disney-favorite sweet treats, such as divine cookies and brownies as well as Starbucks signature beverages, artisan breakfast sandwiches and a wide selection of baked goods.

MFc4beDsl2tlUFTFCM1yNZhfz6hjp8s6wzyrfpFQuc3KGiiG_pXLaMvn3kr9PDJX4e0pB7Ml-1TRHH2YTORL-5knBx_pK08OS0ynI-Va3S0-840SEl_Kuy94EarVprLCbCOc5MNk

A meticulously-tiled bridge and series of triumphant waterfalls set our stage on a lush tropical island before the towering, glimmering Spacestation Earth. This gargantuan gold sphere is the icon of WestCOT Center and an icon of the Disneyland Resort. Whereas Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty Castle and its forced-perspective turrets reaching 77-feet in the air, WestCOT’s central icon looms over the entire Disneyland Resort and all of Anaheim - the largest Disney Park icon ever built, standing at an incredible 300-feet tall, encased in a hovering lattice of reflective glass, steel and fiber optic lighting.

Unlike its white, Ray Bradbury-stylized sibling in Orlando, Spacestation Earth is almost twice as tall, and glowing, pulsing gold. Boarding outdoor escalators descending to the icon’s base, we are carried down into a lush, entrenched island alongside the waterfalls and otherworldly rock-work covered in moss and trees. Water pours from beneath the sphere and into the surrounding waters and Seven Seas Lagoon. The Disneyland Monorail, extended, almost doubled in length to run through the new hotels and Boardwalk District, circles Spacestation Earth.

2kLooYhcoy_H5z3Knkt-nrFPNowvAlO4XXZxSTPYulsPHTNI1WyA7Q-rJbBNdQTYloVGyzWGlEdzSB9Pvd10HzAh4JezPHwUAsKeDOB8Gg9lbochWlTg0cA2ruh9YawYWfp5Pjan

Spacestation Earth holds WestCOT’s signature attraction: New Horizons, a ride through time and space in the showcase of mankind’s crowning achievements - technology, transportation, communication, food, health, energy, and future habitats on land, undersea and in space.

The first Horizons, located in EPCOT Center, opened on October 1, 1983. The “mega” dark ride was found in the “Future World” area, right alongside one classic attraction after the next, including the Universe of Energy and World of Motion. Horizons was described as being “dedicated to humanity’s future. It is a careful synthesis of all the wonders within Epcot, and applies the elements of communication, energy, transportation, creativity, and technology to a better life-style for the family of the future.”

The attraction established a clear vision for the future from 1983, a spiritual sequel to the Carousel of Progress; but still, the attraction held true well into the coming decade and beyond. It was quickly established, and even announced by 1991, that this classic attraction would be the star attraction of WestCOT Center; though ironically, the original Horizons closed in 1994, reopened, and later closed forever in 1999.

DYf8SY0YZDgzuanVZVCID6Xa2nNoiViQK8Jgp22_DGKxINgygOUWKXhEyT2GF17_lqmOm_nkmlQSVBXXxbZa-vDrW-Aj0Jf17GXuP0rVxZf7nD5MbWHez9DQgCf8hrf-XJSXGovf

Given the large real estate held inside the 300-foot Spacestation Earth, WestCOT’s star attraction would receive a star makeover to boot. New Horizons is what many would consider one of the finest attractions ever designed by Walt Disney Imagineering.

"Where have we come from? Where are we going? The answers begin in our past, in the dust in which we were formed, answers recorded on the walls of time... So, let us journey into that past, to seek those walls, to know ourselves and to probe the destiny of our New Horizons.

Now, suns reverse, moons rephase - let us return to ancient caves where first we learn to share our thoughts - and to survive. People have been dreaming about the future for centuries. And with our first words and first steps, we draw together to envision the endless possibilities.
"

The wheels of time turn ever faster in this vision for the future with its roots in the past.

The 20-minute Omnimover-attraction starts as an ascent through what our ancient ancestors might have thought the future would have looked like - mammoth-transportation and flight via large twigs and palm leaves. Culture and progress take shape and continue into a diverse image over time, even appearing fantastical as through the future-imagining minds of Ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt, Jules Verne, and the nonsense of a 1950s B-Movie.

The “real” future, however, is magnificent.

First, we soar through the urban Nova Cite, a Utopian metropolis. We then visit the crops and fields of Mesa Verde, once a barren desert turned oasis through future means of irrigation and farming. Seawater has become an excellent source of energy for the undersea-communities of Sea Castle. This incredible expansion of civilization has even reached our Milky Way with the Brava Centauri space station afloat among the stars and planets.

In this future, and as it should hold true today, it does not matter whether we come from different races, backgrounds, cultures or religions, we all have the same aspirations and dreams. Together, this peaceful and unified future can be achieved. “If we can dream it, then we can do it.”

1583618008476.png

The Venture Port Nature Trails hearken to a Mission Statement one and the same with Venture Port itself - "the importance of Nature in a worthwhile Future." The lush gardens and grounds beneath Spacestation Earth meander down into serene paths, wooden foot bridges and cave-like tunnels and forests on a self-guided trek below the "sphere." Along the way, we spot captivating creatures of real flesh and blood from convenient observation stations amid a picturesque backdrop of exotic trees and plants. The real animals encountered might include:

- White Stork
- Asian Small-Clawed Otter
- Red Kangaroo
- West African Crowned Crane
- African Crested Porcupine
- Galapagos Tortoise
- Lesser Flamingo
- Macaw
- Ring-Tailed Lemur
- Saddle-Billed Stork
- Lappet Faced Vulture
- White-Tailed Deer
- American Black Bear

WestCOT Center, undoubtedly and thus far, is a clever reinvention of EPCOT Center; more than a simple adaptation, but rather a game-changing re-branding. The idea of celebrating culture, humanity and diversity is now more cohesive and collaborative than before. The human story is shown to be one of sharing and by the movement of people and ideas; betterment by connection.

1583620947681.png

And no other attraction could tell this story better than The River of Time. The "mega-attraction" is the longest ever designed by Walt Disney Imagineering - 45 minutes from start to finish. This immersive boat ride, cut from the same cloth as Pirates of the Caribbean and World of Motion, departs from Venture Port and ingeniously sails through (and stops and loads in) each of the Four Corners of the World, passing through elaborate dioramas and scenes populated with Audio-Animatronics of the cultures and innovations and advances of each; imagine, Ancient Egypt and the Burning of Rome among other scenes.

And, of course, The River of Time sails directly through and into Future World.

1583621927932.png

Stay tuned!

Evilgidgit

So, for context, I take it in this timeline, Anaheim weren't so stroppy about Westcot, Eisner still had his ambition, and Paul Pressler had less influence on Disneyland's second gate. In my mind, when alternate timelines are made on Disney, I wonder how big and impactful are the changes? This appears to exclusively be for Disneyland, since Pressler was still in charge for a time and Horizons closed in 1999. I take it Frank Wells still died in 1994? Are there any major changes in WDW?

DisneyManOne

Excellent work, my friend! I can't wait to see what WestCOT has in store. I wonder something, however: Wonders of Imagination, as seen in the previous Mirror Disneyland, seems to be nowhere in sight. Dreamfinder and Figment surely have a place in this park, right?

In addition, I think this thread is inspiring me to go back and update my own dream resort. I admit, the idea of Disney's Hollywoodland is starting to get a little bit tiresome. Being honest, I mainly used the park as an excuse to maintain your Halloween Town and Pixar Place areas from the original Disneyland Australia thread, both of which I still really love. (For those who still remember that thread, the total land count would have been: Hollywood Boulevard, Hyperion Avenue, Valiant Street/Toontown, Muppet Studios, Marvel City, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Halloween Town and Pixar Place). Frankly, this whole "WestCOT" thing is inspiring me to put my own spin on a "second EPCOT". I think when summer comes around again, I'll start up on a new Disneyland Maine.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
So, for context, I take it in this timeline, Anaheim weren't so stroppy about Westcot, Eisner still had his ambition, and Paul Pressler had less influence on Disneyland's second gate. In my mind, when alternate timelines are made on Disney, I wonder how big and impactful are the changes? This appears to exclusively be for Disneyland, since Pressler was still in charge for a time and Horizons closed in 1999. I take it Frank Wells still died in 1994? Are there any major changes in WDW?

Bingo! Essentially, Mirror Disneyland started on the right foot, unlike the real Disneyland. Walt was given the blessing of size and budget from the get-go, hence the 200+ acre version of Disneyland covered earlier. And, as this is an alternate reality altogether, budget is no issue, and neither are pesky city ordinances or tight-fisted board members. This is why we're visiting an immersive WestCOT instead of California Adventure. :p And yes, this thread is exclusively for Disneyland. I haven't really toyed with the idea of an alternate WDW in this same universe, but I would not rule out the possibility. It would be fun to revisit Beastly Kingdom and even do my own take on MGM Studios.

Also, Paul Pressler does exist in this timeline. He foolishly shoehorned in the Woody's Roundup attraction to Frontierland in the early 2000s. He did have an affect on WestCOT, but one that was quickly outdone by future management a decade or so later. The WestCOT Center we visit in this dimension is the passion project and "baby" of an aggressive Eisner, one in which outdoes even Disneyland Paris as Eisner's lasting legacy.

Tragically, Frank Wells still died in 1994. He never lived to see the opening of WestCOT, something that would ultimately haunt Eisner.

Excellent work, my friend! I can't wait to see what WestCOT has in store. I wonder something, however: Wonders of Imagination, as seen in the previous Mirror Disneyland, seems to be nowhere in sight. Dreamfinder and Figment surely have a place in this park, right?

In addition, I think this thread is inspiring me to go back and update my own dream resort. I admit, the idea of Disney's Hollywoodland is starting to get a little bit tiresome. Being honest, I mainly used the park as an excuse to maintain your Halloween Town and Pixar Place areas from the original Disneyland Australia thread, both of which I still really love. (For those who still remember that thread, the total land count would have been: Hollywood Boulevard, Hyperion Avenue, Valiant Street/Toontown, Muppet Studios, Marvel City, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Halloween Town and Pixar Place). Frankly, this whole "WestCOT" thing is inspiring me to put my own spin on a "second EPCOT". I think when summer comes around again, I'll start up on a new Disneyland Maine.

Wonders of Imagination has been merged with the Wonders of Life, an idea taken from the original WestCOT. We'll get to that soon!

I'm glad someone maintained my ideas for Pixar Place and Halloween Town! Heck, I'm glad someone remembers them at all. It is interesting to look back on threads like that and see how my writing and ideas have changed since then.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
@MANEATINGWREATH do you have any plans to go further into Fantasy on Parade/MSEP/the nighttime fireworks at Disneyland? I’d like to see how this alternate universe was shaped by having constantly updated but all the same 100% classic legacy shows

Yes, I do! I'll dive into those long after WestCOT is done, however.

Future World - WestCOT East

“Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.”
- Jeremy Irons, Spaceship Earth

Walt Disney once said Epcot “would always be in a state of becoming” - it is a place that changes with the times. WestCOT, however, would both change and remain the same - it was built to be timeless, though new additions and ideas were, and are not unforeseen.

Future World (WestCOT East) is unified by three “neighborhoods” that each speak to important “wonders” and aspects of the world and its people: the Wonders of Life, Science, and Earth. The Pavilions are filled with experiences rooted in authenticity and innovation. In Future World, the real is made fantastic in a celebration of curiosity, hands-on wonder and the magic of possibility.

7DfnaYH_IcXOOiIP6OuUgZyo14ojUZQmOmskepg-yIP-kg5-gIoMoBujwxuCUToV72t6-CuNSmHd6Lxy_W0KaaPnGZ-mdnmtTcEctWvj-Isupqvypdtliv_W5b664JsIJfasYBx8

“Have you ever looked beyond today into the future?
Picturing a world we’ve yet to see…
The wonder of finding new ways

That lead to the promise of brighter days... ”

Spacestation Earth and Venture Port are the centerpiece of WestCOT Center. Veering left - Future World. Veering right - the Four Corners of the World.

From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another - to bridge the gaps between us - to communicate. Future World is an experience designed to connect us with the world and bridge those gaps, with wide pathways, sweeping green spaces and locales in homage to humanity, communication and innovation. Future World in itself is a voyage through time; a reflection on the power and storytelling used to unite the human experience.

Each location in Future World is a focus on the moments and ideas that define our story through science and nature. The Wonders of Life celebrates the human body, mind and spirit. In the Wonders of Science, stories about technology and intergalactic adventure come to life. The Wonders of Earth is dedicated to understanding and preserving the beauty, awe and balance of the natural world, as well as its wealth in knowledge and events from yesterday, tomorrow and today.

“We hope that when you come away from those experiences you will have less fear and apprehension about becoming a part of that world.”
-Tony Baxter

The Festival Pavilion was a later addition, but one that holds further purpose in the “age of Instagram '' and social media. The homebase for WestCOT’s signature festivals, the Festival Pavilion is a beautiful, three-level convention center with one of the most remarkable architectural designs at any Disney Park, featuring a plaza level, a middle expo level, and an outdoor park that sits in the sky on the top level. The Pavilion offers a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness WestCOT’s nighttime spectacular.

The Four Festivals of WestCOT include:

• Festival of the Arts, January - February.
  • Flower & Garden Festival, March - June.
  • Food & Wine Festival, August - October.
  • Festival of the Holidays, November - December.
The Wonders of Science is our first true Pavilion.

The Wonders of Science

9EeB5pBRDoA8yyZKVB9UPDjHJYteEEJo6Q5_vvthDY-80LJpoq9Rz8gU7WzYAnBHVKVvR5XOwqDal3uHF9BPaZR36R7Hi1ohnjFYg3y9Egygh0CTd-TVOmCoBKGNURm6W3qnUaZS

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things…and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
- Walt Disney

Though he's often remembered today as a storyteller and artist, Walt Disney was one thing above all else: an optimist. Walt was a known futurist. Disneyland was his laboratory for experimenting with urban design and transportation solutions. His “New Tomorrowland” of 1967 was a "World on the Move," alight with the kinetic energy of the gliding Monorail, mass-transit PeopleMovers, and soaring rockets and spacecraft. The Wonders of Science applies all that Disneyland had merely previewed.

The Pavilion itself is gargantuan. In fact, it is about the same height and scale as Epcot’s own Spaceship Earth: 180-feet. The massive, interstellar-inspired structure is remarkable - a sight to behold. It hearkens to a time and moment of idealism and optimism - the hope of the Space Age. Like Future World itself, the Pavilion is equal parts yesterday’s vision of tomorrow and tomorrow’s view of yesterday. The golden “spacecraft” exterior of Epcot’s Horizons is here, too… Only in WestCOT, it does not contain Horizons; not to mention it sits in the shadow of a conjoint and towering space station.

Zn2D_Gr23LW3RfGXWZpgoTQvqbIPEnt0SEjW-517DUjP_zctzqQdklP-eP6_XkolCuegcyO-gWtFp7_cj80Zukc1Ngn1Fh8NILVS2G0y61cxHpgGKdL1dOBLd4eIz_ZHOqjfTSUV

The interior “show” of the pavilion is divided into a number of smaller exhibitions and larger attractions, all indoors, each built in focus and relation to an area of science, industry and discovery. This sweeping, three-level rotunda is beyond imagination and everyday reality - it is unbelievable in sight, scale and design. Whirring contraptions and peculiar sculptures fill the spacious interior of this inspired, breathtaking "museum." Abstract designs and murals, bright neon fixtures, and oddball furnishings act together in a perfect theatrical production - this is not Tomorrowland, or even Epcot - it is a different beast entirely.

The Wonders of Science - Bottom Level

Innoventions” is, what else, but a combination of the words “innovation” and “invention” - therefore, the Innoventions show, the first exhibit in the Wonders of Science, is exactly that - a cutting-edge glimpse into the future technologies and ideas of our ever and always changing world.

tE1jMc9UX_ZtPfmTOF5h8rhmQvbdkYFL0vsXJPGHpWXiwvr36UCTmQlkLcWYvdJZ3whMzHypKNMiEUV1hMMs6B4yGvDCnhvd327k-FTZPBGZBnwTZcMtdeLD2HZnKQKltuUmYh3p

In this digital metropolis, we discover an interactive city bursting with games, activities and exhibitions that connect us with the latest in real-world advancements, as well as with friends, family and beloved Disney Characters - both real and virtual - like never before. Innoventions is divided into one unique exhibit after the next, all in focus on the wonder and imagination that we might use to better our tomorrow. Innoventions is the spiritual "heart" of WestCOT Center, not geographically but conceptually, as it brings together many of the ideas and concepts explored in Future World.

The House of the Future and Apple Exhibition, hosted by the multinational Apple Inc., previews the up and coming best in personal living, consumer electronics, computer software, and global communication. The Tesla Showroom has electric car displays and demonstrations, and through Tesla’s SolarCity subsidiary, an exhibit on solar panel manufacturing and use. The Blue Sky Lab is in showcase of a fascinating collection of sketches, paintings and 3D models for us gain a better understanding on how artists, architects and engineers at WED Enterprises might design the attractions and adventures for Disney Parks - worldwide. General Electric and Siemens also have their own representation in respective exhibits. The Centorium is the largest merchandise location in WestCOT - even larger than the Venture Port Mercantile. The Stargate Restaurant, also inside the Innoventions show, is unique, wherein itself and the Centorium hearken to Epcot's now-lost Communicore attraction. Both the Centorium and Stargate Restaurant have been lovingly resorted - though carefully updated - for their new home.

The only major animated character Walt created especially for television, Professor Ludwig Von Drake is, as described by Walt, "an eminent psychologist, renowned color expert, etymologist" and "the most sought after lecturer in the world." Von Drake's House of Genius is an unexpected and unrealistic delight - the kookiest and most unusual exhibit in Innoventions.

Ludwig’s Hall of Invention holds a number of useless inventions and ideas - back-scratching robots, googly-eyed trash cans, dancing wind-up toys the size of a cow - you name it. Von Drake Labs on the other hand is an interactive playground for scientists of all ages to explore. Various contraptions and whirligigs invite hands-on discovery and nonsense, often at the expense of an unwilling Donald caught as the stubborn participant in the wrong place at the right time. Even so, Donald and Ludwig (in a rare in-park appearance) host a meet 'n' greet at the exit to the House of Genius.

CyberSpace Mountain, is for lack of a better description, the “Roller Coaster Tycoon 3” of WestCOT. This incredible exhibit has us designing our own rocket-run voyage through the cosmos, introduced to various layouts, settings and themes for a would-be coaster. Once complete, our amateur “E-Ticket” attraction is shown aboard an enclosed (and personal) simulator. The cylindrical simulator is able to capture the exact movement and direction of the entire coaster, as designed by the armchair Imagineers themselves.

1583900647533.png

Guests who enter Innoventions are greeted by Tom Morrow, an Audio-Animatronics android voiced by Nathan Lane, who is the fictional "Mayor of Future World." Tom explains the concept of Innoventions in a comedic fashion, even performing an updated version of the Sherman Bros. classic "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" from the extinct Carousel of Progress. Tom isn't the only robot here - SMRT-1, the old Communicore standby, sticks around at WestCOT, still demonstrating voice-recognition technology.

The Wonders of Science has three major "E-Ticket" attractions located inside, and, in one instance, outside. And fittingly enough, each of the Pavilion's three levels holds one of these three major attractions. On level one...

DdkTSkXst3A3W5v_w9LxMNSWrPQ2mXsJWYUpQbe3fns61gAXqsU1cQpq4dcarm02tZrZwkbV4P1jdlXvvAV8_5eeuqvu_pQZ5DgSLt8RY3i3y4Xstla3-kFR0FZCLqq99SAuYbUG

But we'll explore this attraction and the other two in our next update...

DisneyManOne

Yes, I do! I'll dive into those long after WestCOT is done, however.

Future World - WestCOT East

“Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.”
- Jeremy Irons, Spaceship Earth

Walt Disney once said Epcot “would always be in a state of becoming” - it is a place that changes with the times. WestCOT, however, would both change and remain the same - it was built to be timeless, though new additions and ideas were, and are not unforeseen.

Future World (WestCOT East) is unified by three “neighborhoods” that each speak to important “wonders” and aspects of the world and its people: the Wonders of Life, Science, and Earth. The Pavilions are filled with experiences rooted in authenticity and innovation. In Future World, the real is made fantastic in a celebration of curiosity, hands-on wonder and the magic of possibility.

7DfnaYH_IcXOOiIP6OuUgZyo14ojUZQmOmskepg-yIP-kg5-gIoMoBujwxuCUToV72t6-CuNSmHd6Lxy_W0KaaPnGZ-mdnmtTcEctWvj-Isupqvypdtliv_W5b664JsIJfasYBx8

“Have you ever looked beyond today into the future?
Picturing a world we’ve yet to see…
The wonder of finding new ways

That lead to the promise of brighter days... ”

Spacestation Earth and Venture Port are the centerpiece of WestCOT Center. Veering left - Future World. Veering right - the Four Corners of the World.

From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another - to bridge the gaps between us - to communicate. Future World is an experience designed to connect us with the world and bridge those gaps, with wide pathways, sweeping green spaces and locales in homage to humanity, communication and innovation. Future World in itself is a voyage through time; a reflection on the power and storytelling used to unite the human experience.

Each location in Future World is a focus on the moments and ideas that define our story through science and nature. The Wonders of Life celebrates the human body, mind and spirit. In the Wonders of Science, stories about technology and intergalactic adventure come to life. The Wonders of Earth is dedicated to understanding and preserving the beauty, awe and balance of the natural world, as well as its wealth in knowledge and events from yesterday, tomorrow and today.

“We hope that when you come away from those experiences you will have less fear and apprehension about becoming a part of that world.”
-Tony Baxter

The Festival Pavilion was a later addition, but one that holds further purpose in the “age of Instagram '' and social media. The homebase for WestCOT’s signature festivals, the Festival Pavilion is a beautiful, three-level convention center with one of the most remarkable architectural designs at any Disney Park, featuring a plaza level, a middle expo level, and an outdoor park that sits in the sky on the top level. The Pavilion offers a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness WestCOT’s nighttime spectacular.

The Four Festivals of WestCOT include:

• Festival of the Arts, January - February.
  • Flower & Garden Festival, March - June.
  • Food & Wine Festival, August - October.
  • Festival of the Holidays, November - December.
The Wonders of Science is our first true Pavilion.

The Wonders of Science

9EeB5pBRDoA8yyZKVB9UPDjHJYteEEJo6Q5_vvthDY-80LJpoq9Rz8gU7WzYAnBHVKVvR5XOwqDal3uHF9BPaZR36R7Hi1ohnjFYg3y9Egygh0CTd-TVOmCoBKGNURm6W3qnUaZS

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things…and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
- Walt Disney

Though he's often remembered today as a storyteller and artist, Walt Disney was one thing above all else: an optimist. Walt was a known futurist. Disneyland was his laboratory for experimenting with urban design and transportation solutions. His “New Tomorrowland” of 1967 was a "World on the Move," alight with the kinetic energy of the gliding Monorail, mass-transit PeopleMovers, and soaring rockets and spacecraft. The Wonders of Science applies all that Disneyland had merely previewed.

The Pavilion itself is gargantuan. In fact, it is about the same height and scale as Epcot’s own Spaceship Earth: 180-feet. The massive, interstellar-inspired structure is remarkable - a sight to behold. It hearkens to a time and moment of idealism and optimism - the hope of the Space Age. Like Future World itself, the Pavilion is equal parts yesterday’s vision of tomorrow and tomorrow’s view of yesterday. The golden “spacecraft” exterior of Epcot’s Horizons is here, too… Only in WestCOT, it does not contain Horizons; not to mention it sits in the shadow of a conjoint and towering space station.

Zn2D_Gr23LW3RfGXWZpgoTQvqbIPEnt0SEjW-517DUjP_zctzqQdklP-eP6_XkolCuegcyO-gWtFp7_cj80Zukc1Ngn1Fh8NILVS2G0y61cxHpgGKdL1dOBLd4eIz_ZHOqjfTSUV

The interior “show” of the pavilion is divided into a number of smaller exhibitions and larger attractions, all indoors, each built in focus and relation to an area of science, industry and discovery. This sweeping, three-level rotunda is beyond imagination and everyday reality - it is unbelievable in sight, scale and design. Whirring contraptions and peculiar sculptures fill the spacious interior of this inspired, breathtaking "museum." Abstract designs and murals, bright neon fixtures, and oddball furnishings act together in a perfect theatrical production - this is not Tomorrowland, or even Epcot - it is a different beast entirely.

The Wonders of Science - Bottom Level

Innoventions” is, what else, but a combination of the words “innovation” and “invention” - therefore, the Innoventions show, the first exhibit in the Wonders of Science, is exactly that - a cutting-edge glimpse into the future technologies and ideas of our ever and always changing world.

tE1jMc9UX_ZtPfmTOF5h8rhmQvbdkYFL0vsXJPGHpWXiwvr36UCTmQlkLcWYvdJZ3whMzHypKNMiEUV1hMMs6B4yGvDCnhvd327k-FTZPBGZBnwTZcMtdeLD2HZnKQKltuUmYh3p

In this digital metropolis, we discover an interactive city bursting with games, activities and exhibitions that connect us with the latest in real-world advancements, as well as with friends, family and beloved Disney Characters - both real and virtual - like never before. Innoventions is divided into one unique exhibit after the next, all in focus on the wonder and imagination that we might use to better our tomorrow. Innoventions is the spiritual "heart" of WestCOT Center, not geographically but conceptually, as it brings together many of the ideas and concepts explored in Future World.

The House of the Future and Apple Exhibition, hosted by the multinational Apple Inc., previews the up and coming best in personal living, consumer electronics, computer software, and global communication. The Tesla Showroom has electric car displays and demonstrations, and through Tesla’s SolarCity subsidiary, an exhibit on solar panel manufacturing and use. The Blue Sky Lab is in showcase of a fascinating collection of sketches, paintings and 3D models for us gain a better understanding on how artists, architects and engineers at WED Enterprises might design the attractions and adventures for Disney Parks - worldwide. General Electric and Siemens also have their own representation in respective exhibits. The Centorium is the largest merchandise location in WestCOT - even larger than the Venture Port Mercantile. The Stargate Restaurant, also inside the Innoventions show, is unique, wherein itself and the Centorium hearken to Epcot's now-lost Communicore attraction. Both the Centorium and Stargate Restaurant have been lovingly resorted - though carefully updated - for their new home.

The only major animated character Walt created especially for television, Professor Ludwig Von Drake is, as described by Walt, "an eminent psychologist, renowned color expert, etymologist" and "the most sought after lecturer in the world." Von Drake's House of Genius is an unexpected and unrealistic delight - the kookiest and most unusual exhibit in Innoventions.

Ludwig’s Hall of Invention holds a number of useless inventions and ideas - back-scratching robots, googly-eyed trash cans, dancing wind-up toys the size of a cow - you name it. Von Drake Labs on the other hand is an interactive playground for scientists of all ages to explore. Various contraptions and whirligigs invite hands-on discovery and nonsense, often at the expense of an unwilling Donald caught as the stubborn participant in the wrong place at the right time. Even so, Donald and Ludwig (in a rare in-park appearance) host a meet 'n' greet at the exit to the House of Genius.

CyberSpace Mountain, is for lack of a better description, the “Roller Coaster Tycoon 3” of WestCOT. This incredible exhibit has us designing our own rocket-run voyage through the cosmos, introduced to various layouts, settings and themes for a would-be coaster. Once complete, our amateur “E-Ticket” attraction is shown aboard an enclosed (and personal) simulator. The cylindrical simulator is able to capture the exact movement and direction of the entire coaster, as designed by the armchair Imagineers themselves.

Guests who enter Innoventions are greeted by Tom Morrow, an Audio-Animatronics android voiced by Nathan Lane, who is the fictional "Mayor of Future World." Tom explains the concept of Innoventions in a comedic fashion, even performing an updated version of the Sherman Bros. classic "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" from the extinct Carousel of Progress. Tom isn't the only robot here - SMRT-1, the old Communicore standby, sticks around at WestCOT, still demonstrating voice-recognition technology.

The Wonders of Science has three major "E-Ticket" attractions located inside, and, in one instance, outside. And fittingly enough, each of the Pavilion's three levels holds one of these three major attractions. On level one...

DdkTSkXst3A3W5v_w9LxMNSWrPQ2mXsJWYUpQbe3fns61gAXqsU1cQpq4dcarm02tZrZwkbV4P1jdlXvvAV8_5eeuqvu_pQZ5DgSLt8RY3i3y4Xstla3-kFR0FZCLqq99SAuYbUG

But we'll explore this attraction and the other two in our next update...

I am loving this so far! But I wonder... The picture at the end tells us that World of Motion will be part of Wonders of Science. But I also recall your excellent "flying-car" version of Test Track from the days of your Dream Disney Resort. Will that be a part of WestCOT, as well?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I am loving this so far! But I wonder... The picture at the end tells us that World of Motion will be part of Wonders of Science. But I also recall your excellent "flying-car" version of Test Track from the days of your Dream Disney Resort. Will that be a part of WestCOT, as well?

Hmmm... Perhaps you'll find out sooner rather than later? ;)

Also, who have I become?! Two updates in one week?!

Ideal Buildout and Widen Your World were quite helpful here!

The Wonders of Science (Continued)

1583977115220.png

The Wonders of Science has three major "E-Ticket" attractions located inside, and, in one instance, outside. And, fittingly enough, each of the Pavilion's three levels holds one of these three major attractions. On level one - we return to an attraction once beloved and vital to the Epcot experience: World of Motion.

For thirteen years, World of Motion carried the soul and nostalgia that defined "classic" EPCOT Center and Walt Disney World. The attraction held, in its time, the largest cast of Audio-Animatronics figures ever assembled in a Disney attraction, housed in detailed sets with the joyous music of "It's Fun to Be Free" to encapsulate the historic and often comical story of man's quest to "travel from here to there." The "modern" World of Motion in WestCOT is essential for the success of WestCOT Center. Horizons and World of Motion alike are the Epcot equivalent to Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion - "Experience-Defining Masterpieces."

Occupying a large portion of the Pavilion's first floor, World of Motion is a technical marvel from the get-go. The indoor "facade" is glass-paneled, sleek and metallic, all in one, a testament to retro-futurism and abstract architecture. Passers-by catch glimpse of the slow-moving Omnimover-attraction as the vehicles twist clockwise from the earth to a "second-level," and into a contoured hole in a red wall - below, a mural, designed by the late Marc Davis who pioneered the original attraction as well as this incarnation, spans the tight-knit load area.

"Throughout the ages, we have searched for freedom to move from one place to another. In the beginning of course, there was foot power. But with our first wandering steps, we quickly discovered the need to improve our basic transportation."

1583985391539.png

Following the invention of the wheel and the first wheeled carts come improved chariot models which, of course, leads to the first "used cart lot" and the timeless hazard passed down through the ages - the fast-talking salesman.

Plunging centuries ahead into the Age of Exploration, we discover how sailors conquered boundaries as well as superstitions. Sailing through the air in a hot-air balloon was man's next major feat; however, the scene illustrates that getting the balloon safely down proved the greater accomplishment. In the 20th Century, the automobile establishes itself as our primary means of transportation, and motoring becomes a favorite hobby. Meticulously restored antique cars are seen on parade while we prepare to leave the past and venture into the future...

Our travels near their end, but not without a glimpse of the transportation system of the future. A kaleidoscope of laser beds and liquid neon create a constantly moving vision of a futuristic cityscape in a decade, perhaps, not too far on the horizon. Flying cars, PeopleMovers and even teleportation, a la Star Trek, are just a few of the many possibilities in store.

After our return descent, we are offered not one, but three opportunities for a close-up look at the imagination at work in transportation design for today and tomorrow in one of three options: A) a shortcut from the exit through neighboring Innoventions and into the Tesla Showroom. B) an escalator (or elevator) ascent, separate from the Pavilion's main escalators, to the Pavilion's second floor and second E-Ticket attraction. Or C) the more immediate and accessible WestCOT Transcenter - a walkthrough series of shows and exhibits designed by WED Enterprises. Here, unique artwork, models and designs showcase what the Imagineers might actually envision - or, at least humorously envision - for the transportation methods of tomorrow today.

Level One of The Wonders of Science includes:

1. World of Motion
2. Innoventions
- House of the Future & Apple Exhibition
- Tesla Showroom
- Blue Sky Lab
- General Electric
- Siemens
- Von Drake's House of Genius
- CyberSpace Mountain
3. The Centorium
4. Stargate Restaurant

1583987305419.png

The massive, red and metallic "gantry-lift" (see above) soars almost higher than the entire Wonders of Science Pavilion. Though, in reality, it is simply a disguise for the "high-speed" and "futuristic" escalators and elevators that transport us from one level of the Pavilion to the next, all the while offering a stunning view of WestCOT Center and the Disneyland Resort.

Level Two is home to Innoventions II and a singular "E-Ticket" attraction - an attraction in which bridges the gap between the story of World of Motion and Innoventions 1, and the further adventures in science of the attraction on the third floor. This second floor attraction is Test Track.

1516327502041.png

The Test Track facility is gleaming, state-of-the-art; almost "TRON"-like in its environment and design. The queue (and attraction itself) is an exhibition on forward-thinking and innovative design in transportation and efficient, eco-friendly travel. En route, we can design a virtual concept car and later put it to the test in the thrilling, high-octane ride to follow. Of course, these cars are not the ordinary cars of today; these are the self-driving and electric-powered "hover-cars" of tomorrow.

Through means of a clever optical illusion, our hover-car whisks us into a digital circuit in which we experience for ourselves the difficult tests and trials that all prototype vehicles must undergo before receiving their standard safety clearance. We rev and float through rough terrain and obstacles along the winding, computerized circuit. We accelerate through straightaways and hairpin turns, maneuver switchbacks through inclement weather, hug curves banked at 50-degree angles and scale clouds and airways up to three stories high.

The final test: an outdoor 65 miles per hour "flight" along the exterior-rim (a curved track) of the Pavilion from the second floor, soaring nearly 70-feet above the earth.

Innoventions II is more focused on environmental science and means of a "Green Tomorrow." Whereas Innoventions 1 focused on future technologies, science-fiction fantasies and corporate-sponsored exhibits, Innoventions II ties with the Mission Statement of the eco-inspired Test Track and Venture Port - "the importance of Nature in a worthwhile Future."

1583990806600.png

Though, in fairness, the concept and spirit of Innoventions II might better translate in The Wonders of Earth Pavilion, the theme of environmental science cannot escape The Wonders of Science umbrella.

Innoventions II is a call to action to protect the Earth. In a partnership with the Disney Conservation Fund, World Wide Fund for Nature, and Ocean Conservancy, each exhibit is in focus on what we can do - as well as what the world can do - to better preserve our incredible planet and its natural resources and beauty. Eco-friendly transit and food production are among the possible advancements in protecting the environment. Pollution-reducing methods and the use of less plastics are demonstrated. Diagrams and video presentations portray how, if in affect, these methods and ideas might improve our world in a detailed timeline. The central theme here is hope.

Now, having completed all that Level Two has to offer, we return to our gantry-lift for one final ascent...

Next week, we'll finish off The Wonders of Science with the third and final "E-Ticket" attraction of the Pavilion. Then, we'll jump right into The Wonders of Life! Until then... Can you guess what the third attraction is?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Remember, this entire resort is an alternate-reality version of Disneyland. The more and more I think about it, the more and more interested I am in doing a Mirror Walt Disney World, too. You can find allusion to that in this particular update... As always, feedback is kindly appreciated. Let's have a discussion!

Jim Hill did a fantastic article on the cancelled Space Pavilion for EPCOT Center, and I find it only fitting to use that today as a reference in the spirit of everything being cancelled in the theme park industry over the past two days.

1584144047089.png

In 1977, WED envisioned an attraction for EPCOT Center to be built where the Living Seas Pavilion would later stand. The massive and ambitious "Space Pavilion" would have almost entirely resembled the Wonders of Science Pavilion that we see in WestCOT today - at least from the standpoint of the facade. The huge, spherical space station would have featured NASA exhibition areas, an Omnimover-ride through simulated space, and a theatrical show looking out into the limitless boundaries of the known galaxies and stars in the realms beyond.

This idea, of course, evolved over time and became Mission: SPACE, an attraction that shares little in common with the original Space Pavilion. The Epcot-exclusive thrill attraction would ultimately replace the original Horizons, though, Horizons would later return in celebration of Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary in 2021. WestCOT's New Horizons has now run longer than the original attraction in which it is based.

In designing Future World at WestCOT Center, the Imagineers dug-up the old models and prints for the would-be Space Pavilion and married the concept with both Test Track and World of Motion, the then-deemed "Epcot essentials." The Pavilion became three-stories, and each floor would focus on a different area of science and progress; Level One, transportation and beneficiary technology. Level Two, environmental science and an eco-friendly revolution in automobile-transportation. Level Three, the "Wonders of Outer Space," the Pavilion's true heart and soul.

1584145679536.png

Free from the third-level ascent of the soaring gantry-lift, we find ourselves now on Level Three, the most immersive and unique floor of the Pavilion.

The third-level entrance is not ordinary. In fact, it is out of the ordinary. An entire faux forest of towering redwood and pine cast beneath crisp, autumn twilight is our (surprisingly) indoor entrance to the Wonders of Space. We then come to a clearing where a small amphitheater surrounds a campfire. Overhead is a planetarium-like sky... Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and others float past - gargantuan, undulating with ethereal color and light. This becomes a sound, light and projection show to evoke our curiosity and wonder about space, connecting us to man's earliest yearnings. The show's title: "The Wonders of Space."

Suddenly, the forest clears - the stars and planets appearing closer. We are now aboard a spacecraft not far from the Earth's orbit. It's a large hall. All-encompassing windows look out into surrounding space. The stars, planets and outlined constellations move as we turn through our orbit. The center of the craft features a large round window in the floor surrounded by railing that looks down on the Earth. The area around the window hosts Mission: Earth - a series of interactive stations that teach us about space exploration and sciences.

Innoventions III is the third and final Innoventions exhibition. The American Space Experience, Presented by NASA is the main event. The museum-like exhibit is most consistent with Walt's intent for Tomorrowland, an intent that alluded the "challenge of outer space." The other exhibit in Innoventions III is a 3D film experience that explores the physics of the universe: Incredible Space. We go on a virtual voyage through the universe, experiencing both its beauty and its severity. It concludes with a close-up look at a supernova - a bit too close, being honest.

Fun fact; Incredible Space was temporarily replaced by a revival of Captain EO following Michael Jackson's death in 2009. Incredible Space was updated and returned in 2014, not long before Robin Williams as the Timekeeper returned to Tomorrowland.

1584149017907.png

No dining experience on Earth can match what's in store at the Space 220 restaurant, an unbelievable experience that transports us further into space for incredible meals that are "out of this world." A menu of internationally-inspired cuisine and more than 1,000 bottles of the world's finest wines and a wide selection of craft beer grace this galactic galley. You'll feel as if you're traveling through space to dock next to the Brava Centauri Space Station of New Horizons, suspended just beyond the orbit of a Space Mountain-like station. 220 miles above the earth's surface, we dine alongside incredible celestial views.

In 2008, an Audio-Animatronics figure of WALL-E, the trash-collecting robot of Disney*Pixar's 2008 film of the same name, began a free-roaming experiment in Tomorrowland. The grand experiment was a bit too successful. Guests clamored to attack and overwhelm the advanced figure rather than take friendly pictures and meet 'n' greets. The experiment was quickly retired.

However, in 2015, right in time for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary, WALL-E returned, but this time in a more permanent home. WALL-E Encounter opened in the Wonders of Science in July 2015. The permanent meet 'n' greet offered a family-friendly and more child-oriented alternative to the third-level's more intense signature attraction:

Spacewalk Journey is a motion-based dark ride and the final "E-Ticket" attraction in the Wonders of Science Pavilion.

xRXv8ge7nAP-XO-q8F7Z3sX3z3K-D2Gcy1OOtDrfI44LVq3K5dQ_TU5q8GwQuvNQuCXWqNnuNDVng_9xcnywbmU0MDaIitIl6N0DWiAq--a0LzUR1ilpHCgR6Q7qitmS-Gzn83Fe

Spacewalk Journey is the main event - the entire reasoning for the Pavilion's interstellar-inspired facade and NASA-sponsored third-floor. The attraction uses KUKA robocoaster technology, which allows the ride vehicles to pivot while being held below the track by a robotic arm. However, the attraction is not a roller coaster, but rather a scenic dark ride with thrilling elements.

In the pre-show we learn how to operate our "EVA" units, advanced "pods" that offer free range and protection through our forthcoming exploration of the Milky Way. Each unit is suspended from an overhead-track on a continuously moving belt. It has two seats and a four-point safety harness. Our feet dangle free. A joystick allows us to control yaw and roll. We can turn completely around or completely upside-down. If we want, we can ride backwards facing two other friends to share in the experience. A moving walkway allows us to board and secure ourselves while the track keeps in motion.

The ride circles us around new angles of the exterior of the Brava Centauri Space Station, a location also seen in Space 220, and also in the New Horizons finale down the road inside Spacestation Earth. We have views into space and into the interior of the station. We can see some of the public spaces filled with our fellow visitors, and we see other "off-limits" spaces we wouldn't otherwise see. These paint a picture of life on the station, as well as the extraordinary wonders shared in an anti-gravity "Spacewalk."

1584152077226.png

Then - our Spacewalk Journey is cut short from the tranquility and discovery - space debris from a broken satellite has formed a rapidly-expanding cloud of high-speed danger. The debris strikes Brava Centauri and separates our EVA units from their usual path. We are ordered to return to the station immediately. Our communication with Mission Control is lost shortly thereafter as more and more satellites are destroyed by the debris. Even worse, we can no longer control our EVA unit - the joystick and motion now have a mind of their own.

The debris has left us tumbling far and through distant space. We narrowly avoid the high-speed onslaught of debris and matter, completely unharmed. The mishap leaves us dropping, spinning, twisting, turning, and even hanging upside-down, all the while hurtling through dark space. We fortunately regain traction and end up in a "comfortable" cruising speed. Somehow, we have been launched far enough to be pulled into the Moon's orbit. Then, we do what was once thought impossible for the everyday person - we "walk" on the Moon.

The Moon segment is emotional. The rich orchestral score by famed composer Bruce Broughton (Lost in Space, Timekeeper, The Orville) and gorgeous, three-dimensional views of a distant Earth are enough to make a grown-man weep. We see the American Flag and original footprints of Neil Armstrong.

We regain communication with Mission Control, and a Brava Centauri shuttle brings us "home" and back aboard the third-level of the Wonders of Science.

All in all, The Wonders of Science Pavilion includes:

Level One
1. World of Motion
2. Innoventions
- Tesla Showroom
- Blue Sky Lab
- General Electric
- Siemens
- CyberSpace Mountain
3. The Centorium
4. Stargate Restaurant

Level Two
1. Test Track
2. Innoventions II
- Disney Conservation Fund
- World Wide Fund for Nature
- Ocean Conservancy
3. Test Track SIMporium

Level Three
1. Spacewalk Journey
2. Innoventions III
- The American Space Experience, Sponsored by NASA
- Incredible Space
- Mission: Earth
3. The Wonders of Space
4. WALL-E Encounter
5. Space 220 Restaurant
6. Brava Centauri Cargo Bay

Next time: The Wonders of Life!

Attachments

• 1584152027795.png
    1584152027795.png
    236 KB · Views: 175

DisneyManOne

Remember, this entire resort is an alternate-reality version of Disneyland. The more and more I think about it, the more and more interested I am in doing a Mirror Walt Disney World, too. You can find allusion to that in this particular update... As always, feedback is kindly appreciated. Let's have a discussion!

Jim Hill did a fantastic article on the cancelled Space Pavilion for EPCOT Center, and I find it only fitting to use that today as a reference in the spirit of everything being cancelled in the theme park industry over the past two days.

View attachment 456072

In 1977, WED envisioned an attraction for EPCOT Center to be built where the Living Seas Pavilion would later stand. The massive and ambitious "Space Pavilion" would have almost entirely resembled the Wonders of Science Pavilion that we see in WestCOT today - at least from the standpoint of the facade. The huge, spherical space station would have featured NASA exhibition areas, an Omnimover-ride through simulated space, and a theatrical show looking out into the limitless boundaries of the known galaxies and stars in the realms beyond.

This idea, of course, evolved over time and became Mission: SPACE, an attraction that shares little in common with the original Space Pavilion. The Epcot-exclusive thrill attraction would ultimately replace the original Horizons, though, Horizons would later return in celebration of Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary in 2021. WestCOT's New Horizons has now run longer than the original attraction in which it is based.

In designing Future World at WestCOT Center, the Imagineers dug-up the old models and prints for the would-be Space Pavilion and married the concept with both Test Track and World of Motion, the then-deemed "Epcot essentials." The Pavilion became three-stories, and each floor would focus on a different area of science and progress; Level One, transportation and beneficiary technology. Level Two, environmental science and an eco-friendly revolution in automobile-transportation. Level Three, the "Wonders of Outer Space," the Pavilion's true heart and soul.

Free from the third-level ascent of the soaring gantry-lift, we find ourselves now on Level Three, the most immersive and unique floor of the Pavilion.

The third-level entrance is not ordinary. In fact, it is out of the ordinary. An entire faux forest of towering redwood and pine cast beneath crisp, autumn twilight is our (surprisingly) indoor entrance to the Wonders of Space. We then come to a clearing where a small amphitheater surrounds a campfire. Overhead is a planetarium-like sky... Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and others float past - gargantuan, undulating with ethereal color and light. This becomes a sound, light and projection show to evoke our curiosity and wonder about space, connecting us to man's earliest yearnings. The show's title: "The Wonders of Space."

Suddenly, the forest clears - the stars and planets appearing closer. We are now aboard a spacecraft not far from the Earth's orbit. It's a large hall. All-encompassing windows look out into surrounding space. The stars, planets and outlined constellations move as we turn through our orbit. The center of the craft features a large round window in the floor surrounded by railing that looks down on the Earth. The area around the window hosts Mission: Earth - a series of interactive stations that teach us about space exploration and sciences.

Innoventions III is the third and final Innoventions exhibition. The American Space Experience, Presented by NASA is the main event. The museum-like exhibit is most consistent with Walt's intent for Tomorrowland, an intent that alluded the "challenge of outer space." The other exhibit in Innoventions III is a 3D film experience that explores the physics of the universe: Incredible Space. We go on a virtual voyage through the universe, experiencing both its beauty and its severity. It concludes with a close-up look at a supernova - a bit too close, being honest.

Fun fact; Incredible Space was temporarily replaced by a revival of Captain EO following Michael Jackson's death in 2009. Incredible Space was updated and returned in 2014, not long before Robin Williams as the Timekeeper returned to Tomorrowland.

No dining experience on Earth can match what's in store at the Space 220 restaurant, an unbelievable experience that transports us further into space for incredible meals that are "out of this world." A menu of internationally-inspired cuisine and more than 1,000 bottles of the world's finest wines and a wide selection of craft beer grace this galactic galley. You'll feel as if you're traveling through space to dock next to the Brava Centauri Space Station of New Horizons, suspended just beyond the orbit of a Space Mountain-like station. 220 miles above the earth's surface, we dine alongside incredible celestial views.

In 2008, an Audio-Animatronics figure of WALL-E, the trash-collecting robot of Disney*Pixar's 2008 film of the same name, began a free-roaming experiment in Tomorrowland. The grand experiment was a bit too successful. Guests clamored to attack and overwhelm the advanced figure rather than take friendly pictures and meet 'n' greets. The experiment was quickly retired.

However, in 2015, right in time for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary, WALL-E returned, but this time in a more permanent home. WALL-E Encounter opened in the Wonders of Science in July 2015. The permanent meet 'n' greet offered a family-friendly and more child-oriented alternative to the third-level's more intense signature attraction:

Spacewalk Journey is a motion-based dark ride and the final "E-Ticket" attraction in the Wonders of Science Pavilion.

xRXv8ge7nAP-XO-q8F7Z3sX3z3K-D2Gcy1OOtDrfI44LVq3K5dQ_TU5q8GwQuvNQuCXWqNnuNDVng_9xcnywbmU0MDaIitIl6N0DWiAq--a0LzUR1ilpHCgR6Q7qitmS-Gzn83Fe

Spacewalk Journey is the main event - the entire reasoning for the Pavilion's interstellar-inspired facade and NASA-sponsored third-floor. The attraction uses KUKA robocoaster technology, which allows the ride vehicles to pivot while being held below the track by a robotic arm. However, the attraction is not a roller coaster, but rather a scenic dark ride with thrilling elements.

In the pre-show we learn how to operate our "EVA" units, advanced "pods" that offer free range and protection through our forthcoming exploration of the Milky Way. Each unit is suspended from an overhead-track on a continuously moving belt. It has two seats and a four-point safety harness. Our feet dangle free. A joystick allows us to control yaw and roll. We can turn completely around or completely upside-down. If we want, we can ride backwards facing two other friends to share in the experience. A moving walkway allows us to board and secure ourselves while the track keeps in motion.

The ride circles us around new angles of the exterior of the Brava Centauri Space Station, a location also seen in Space 220, and also in the New Horizons finale down the road inside Spacestation Earth. We have views into space and into the interior of the station. We can see some of the public spaces filled with our fellow visitors, and we see other "off-limits" spaces we wouldn't otherwise see. These paint a picture of life on the station, as well as the extraordinary wonders shared in an anti-gravity "Spacewalk."

Then - our Spacewalk Journey is cut short from the tranquility and discovery - space debris from a broken satellite has formed a rapidly-expanding cloud of high-speed danger. The debris strikes Brava Centauri and separates our EVA units from their usual path. We are ordered to return to the station immediately. Our communication with Mission Control is lost shortly thereafter as more and more satellites are destroyed by the debris. Even worse, we can no longer control our EVA unit - the joystick and motion now have a mind of their own.

The debris has left us tumbling far and through distant space. We narrowly avoid the high-speed onslaught of debris and matter, completely unharmed. The mishap leaves us dropping, spinning, twisting, turning, and even hanging upside-down, all the while hurtling through dark space. We fortunately regain traction and end up in a "comfortable" cruising speed. Somehow, we have been launched far enough to be pulled into the Moon's orbit. Then, we do what was once thought impossible for the everyday person - we "walk" on the Moon.

The Moon segment is emotional. The rich orchestral score by famed composer Bruce Broughton (Lost in Space, Timekeeper, The Orville) and gorgeous, three-dimensional views of a distant Earth are enough to make a grown-man weep. We see the American Flag and original footprints of Neil Armstrong.

We regain communication with Mission Control, and a Brava Centauri shuttle brings us "home" and back aboard the third-level of the Wonders of Science.

All in all, The Wonders of Science Pavilion includes:

Level One
1. World of Motion
2. Innoventions
- Tesla Showroom
- Blue Sky Lab
- General Electric
- Siemens
- CyberSpace Mountain
3. The Centorium
4. Stargate Restaurant

Level Two
1. Test Track
2. Innoventions II
- Disney Conservation Fund
- World Wide Fund for Nature
- Ocean Conservancy
3. Test Track SIMporium

Level Three
1. Spacewalk Journey
2. Innoventions III
- The American Space Experience, Sponsored by NASA
- Incredible Space
- Mission: Earth
3. The Wonders of Space
4. WALL-E Encounter
5. Space 220 Restaurant
6. Brava Centauri Cargo Bay

Next time: The Wonders of Life!

Another excellent update, my friend! I really love how you took your inspiration from the original Space Pavilion concept rather than Mission: SPACE.

Also...did you say "Mirror Walt Disney World"? That's a concept I can get behind. I've done so many threads about how I'd update Walt Disney World in the present, but I've never considered the "Mirror" aspect before. Wild question here, but maybe this could be a collaboration? Being from the East Coast, I really know the territory. I even have a few ideas up my sleeve for how I'd alter the parks' histories a bit. For example, the Baxter-designed Little Mermaid ride? That would definitely be in, as well as the original three concepts for Fantasyland dark rides, which were replaced by the California dark rides because budget.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Another excellent update, my friend! I really love how you took your inspiration from the original Space Pavilion concept rather than Mission: SPACE.

Also...did you say "Mirror Walt Disney World"? That's a concept I can get behind. I've done so many threads about how I'd update Walt Disney World in the present, but I've never considered the "Mirror" aspect before. Wild question here, but maybe this could be a collaboration? Being from the East Coast, I really know the territory. I even have a few ideas up my sleeve for how I'd alter the parks' histories a bit. For example, the Baxter-designed Little Mermaid ride? That would definitely be in, as well as the original three concepts for Fantasyland dark rides, which were replaced by the California dark rides because budget.

Sure! I'm game for that. This, of course, would have to be a long way down the road as I am nowhere near done with this project haha.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Well, here's the good news and here's the bad news.

The bad news is, I might be out of work for awhile. I'm a full time assistant retail manager (assistant to the...?), and there's a 95% chance that my store will be closed after tomorrow due to COVID-19. If we close, and again, it's very likely that we will close, this means that I'll be out of work for the next two weeks, maybe more. It really depends on how long it takes for the pandemic to settle. It's a really, really bad time to have anxiety and depression and all that other fun stuff.

The good news is, if I am quarantined at home, I'm going to have a lot more free time on my hands. Seriously. Like, a lot, a lot. Obviously, I'll spend some of that free time with my family, watching movies, playing with my Halloween miniatures, whatever. But I'm sure there will be more than a day or two where I get to write up some more posts for this project o' mine.

So, stay tuned. I may or may not be working as of tomorrow, we'll see. I'll update you all in my next update for WestCOT. Until then, stay safe, stay healthy, and wash your hands!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Can you make the park in Roblox.

No, but that'd be neat! If you are able to and would like to re-create it, feel free!

Also, I'm currently in social distancing mode, but will be working from home every now and then. Here is an update!

Feedback, you guys, is so greatly appreciated.

The Wonders of Life

Z9P7zc6IottTHsf5q61f1QgjT3T616rEWuBdpnjmPdp8qAM2CSH_U020s_gSwE_NmNXVKWFjJ0Sft0mxFdlkM6zqS63T6CC5ToaQIiNKJH7LXFaRQeIHL2NBpDaz8iRWcOJ_NENy

“One little spark of inspiration,
Is at the heart of all creation.
Right at the start of everything that’s new,

One little spark lights up for you.”

For WestCOT visitors, there’s no better blend of nostalgia, innovation, discovery, and wonder than the adventures that are found in Future World.

The Future World of today, as it stands, is reminiscent of EPCOT Center’s Future World of yesteryear. And yet, there is one attraction we have yet to explore, one in which fills the body and mind with immense joy and learning…

“Perhaps that which guided our dream to this destination was the flicker of magic itself. With a wick dipped in goodness, holding a flame as warm as the heart, its glow was powerful enough to brighten our darkest challenge and light the way.”

The Wonders of Life Pavilion dates back to an idea once intended for Disneyland by Imagineer Tony Baxter.

Discovery Bay was a conceptual place that paid tribute to some of the great visionaries of Europe, including Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Leonardo da Vinci. Among the featured attractions was “Professor Marvel’s Gallery of Wonders.” This Audio-Animatronics extravaganza was to be a musical show in which the bearded Prof. Marvel would showcase his experiments and creatures, namely his beloved dragon. This idea, of course, never came into fruition. However, a renamed Dreamfinder (Prof. Marvel) and Figment (his dragon) would find their home in EPCOT Center on March 5, 1983 in the classic attraction, Journey into Imagination.

R6m2T0AfOfSq8DW6ug11_EB_1UvrwZodTtMj1DUnb93rmu4oYoSKh_S4Q0a55seCqCTPDkRIVG2rPIrEevY3MIiB-aHthGR4N1nBfKoxlxKk1bMdw7M8DLBHrNNJwRyswMKbISok

The story needed to describe the complex process in an engaging, interactive way without seeming like a lecture,” Tony Baxter said. “A persona was needed to give the process personality, but having a human character seemed too selective. A friendly imaginary being that could delight in the wonders of imagination would be more inclusive.” Journey Into Imagination is one of the most beloved attractions ever designed by WED. Among the grounded and industrious studies of Future World’s other pavilions, Journey Into Imagination offers a colorful, musical trip through the creative realm of the imagination process. It was decided early on that the Dreamfinder and Figment would also call WestCOT home. Whereas an entire Imagination Pavilion was their home in EPCOT, the duo found themselves re-homed in WestCOT: The Wonders of Life.

Identified by its two crystal-like pyramids, the Wonders of Life sits to the easternmost point of Future World. Completely enclosed within the kinetic architecture, the colorful Wonders of Life promotes and celebrates a healthy lifestyle with its health and science-minded attractions, exhibits and dining facilities, while also promoting the importance of the imagination and mind. The Pavilion also celebrates the wonders that come from life - art, literature, and the performing arts and sciences. If New Horizons is where tomorrow leads, then the Wonders of Life is where tomorrow begins.

flvEap0Oei_E5_kBgcA5Co4dyDVZgQ5pZoMTXb_EaFNnaXnnP-DrhL-CQwRYdtZ8czOfHR2b6AoSbYJZO_eK3x-mfX8n9F6qQ4LDG6MIT1jlXYlMarmYyaDgYOaCjbB-OscVetBc

Unlike its neighbor - The Wonders of Science - The Wonders of Life has only two-floors, and either pyramid unto itself holds a different series of offerings: Pyramid #1 and Pyramid #2, the latter the largest and central-most pyramid. Like all Future World pavilions, the Seven Seas Lagoon rests in the foreground, though here a number of leaping, laminar-flow water fountains and a hypnotic “upside-down” waterfall churn into a gentle flow on the lagoon’s surface. A two-arrow signpost, topped by a three-dimensional figure of Figment, indicates which pyramid contains what:

Pyramid #1 - Anatomy, Health & Wellness

Pyramid #2 - Imagination

We start where all the “Wonders of Life” begin: Anatomy, Health & Wellness. In this incredible journey within, we will explore the inner-workings of the complex human machine, learning that good health is based more than anything else on our own responsibility and behavior… A 75-ft high “Tower of Life” stands outside the entrance to the entire Pavilion. This colorful landmark is a replica of DNA weighing in at 25 metric tons in shades of turquoise, magenta, gold and silver.

yxJ7zlO7p832YXyfnQ5DDrPd1PzzA0w-tf5hcT62PGBvB1JoK79Ptteu465zQVMif1OdOC7NlaREfbiYJRYy-ULyfPgv6SCBiIQ8yZ9fEOh2YUfhJ66uSkxpyfkcxsmU4YSnd5jT

Almost one and the same with an unused design for its EPCOT counterpart (also “The Wonders of Life”), Pyramid #1 is home to the Great Midway of Life, a real circus of anatomy and science. A series of intricate, semi-chaotic and abstract carnival rides, tents and structures act as a three-dimensional “mural” and facades for the innumerable attractions and exhibits found in Pyramid #1; even so, the “rides” and other carnival standbys resemble human body parts, organs and functions, lovingly “oddball” and even artistic, a natural facade choice for the real attractions, not to mention a smooth crash-course in Immersion 101.

Pyramid #1 and its Midway of Life is reminiscent of Imagineer Rolly Crump and his Museum of the Weird. That’s because Rolly designed it - almost everything. “I did a lot of work for the planned Life and Health Pavilion at EPCOT, some of which would be reused later for the Wonders of Life Pavilion,” remembers Rolly. “Our original ideas influenced bits and pieces here and there, and the Wonders of Life pavilion remained pretty popular for nearly 20 years.” Rolly and his odd ideas would better translate into WestCOT when introduced to a pavilion that shared real estate and theme with Journey Into Imagination. His weird and outlandish designs and abstract-styles were a perfect match for Figment and the Dreamfinder in the next pyramid over.

The Care-of-Self Carousel is the central “weenie,” a kinetic centerpiece and symbol of good diet and self-care. No horses or chariots here; instead, we “gallop” on the Crump-stylized “backs” of fresh fruits and vegetables, grains, wild-caught salmon and grilled chicken wings, farm-fresh eggs, gallons of milk, and even raw steaks. Diagrams and videos in the queue entail the importance of a well-balanced diet and nutrition. The electro-synthetic instrumental soundtrack is an EPCOT Center throwback in itself - Kitchen Kabaret, anyone?

Pure and Simple, once the only restaurant in EPCOT Center's Wonders of Life, is now one of two restaurants in WestCOT's Wonders of Life - although it is the only restaurant in Pyramid #1. The menu is an emphasis on low-fat and nutritious items, such as sandwiches, salads, smoothies and yogurt. Breakfast items include bagel sandwiches, low-fat muffins and breakfast wraps. The "Wonder Waffle," shaped in a pentagon of hearts, is Pure and Simple's most iconic offering - a hot and cold topping bar of fruit-based syrups and healthy toppings is available. Dr. Figment's Health Carnival is Pyramid #1's flagship store, aptly themed to Dr. Figment, a bushy-eyebrow and mustachioed variant on the lovable Figment. The mercantile sells, among other things, athletic merchandise, including jerseys and hats, as well as Disney-themed jerseys, exercise attire, and figurines.

I9V92sMet7250LVe7Mdbj7rieOywNp0syef5NriOj9TeX9yDDxG_TiFBZuaiuBdSc6dv_A88nT1uoP2VZSU7SjsdU71QMRD7uCETm71JnmuzqiBk1MP3iz2JkChm1q4v9Jd11wC0

At first glance, the Sensory Funhouse is entirely bizarre… Rolly Crump’s influence is unmatched.

“Gypsy-like” patterns and architecture - clowns in the keystones, arms in the columns - illustrate a weird and immersive adventure through the senses of the human mind and body, all whilst reminiscent of a Victorian carnival. The ticket kiosk is closed and admission is free. We enter through an old funhouse standby - a spinning tunnel - only here, it’s called the Tunnel of Taste. We enter a giant mouth, walking right past the lips, across the tongue, and beneath the teeth and uvula. We experience vertigo and a loss of equilibrium as our brains receive conflicting signals from our bodies and senses. Traversing the tunnel is a beam bridge (the tongue). Handrails securely fastened along the length of the bridge - designed to look like giant toothpicks - are necessary for our safety.

Dr. Figment, with his German accent and white lab coat, materializes in a funhouse mirror at the end of the tunnel, and will serve as our guide through the Sensory Funhouse. The Mirror Maze is first. Dr. Figment, however, is here to help! The medically-trained imagination dragon, popping-up from mirror-to-mirror, will teach us about the correlation between our eyes and our brain as we navigate through the twisted mirrors and distorted reflections. The Optical Illusion Corridor is next, a long hall filled with swirly patterns, hypnotic wheels and other mind-tricks.

We traverse the Perplexion Pipes, a series of vertical, technicolor pipes. One pipe is hot, another is cold. By grabbing both at the same time, our sense of touch is thrown off. Other pipes make cartoon sound-effects, while others bend and curve in every which way. One pipe is both hot and cold! The Touchy Subjects Room is filled with many different boxes. The long, oddly-shaped boxes are fronted by black bristles. Sticking our hands inside will reveal unknown objects on the other side, with the voice of Dr. Figment asking for us to describe what we feel - one object is a car, and another is a dinosaur! Audio Antics has a series of headphone-shaped booths. The three-dimensional audio inside plays an "audio illusion." For instance, what sounds like rain pouring outside is revealed to be bacon frying.

Lastly, we visit the Crooked Room. Video cameras and monitors track our every motion. The room's crooked floor, slanted walls and disproportionate items put our senses and balance to the test in one final funhouse trick. At the end of our tour, an Audio-Animatronics Dr. Figment congratulates our success with a "Diploma of Sensitivity," signed by the good doctor himself.

There is still much more to explore in the Wonders of Life!

Unfortunately, it does take time to basically create a new (or old?) pavilion from scratch. Next time, we'll cover the remaining attractions and exhibits in Pyramid #1, then hop right into Journey Into Imagination, ImageWorks and whatever else might lie in Pyramid #2! Until then...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom