Minor changes indeed coming for WDW's Little Mermaid ride

Mike730

Original Poster
While reading the new Disney Files magazine just now, an article on the Under the Sea-Journey of The Little Mermaid piqued my interest.

In an interview with Imagineering Creative Director Dave Minichiello I read this...

DisneyFiles said:
Asked to share unique details from within the attraction itself, Dave appeared to have signed his away to the aforementioned sea witch, unwilling to spill the proverbial beans. "We've indeed made a few modifications to staging within the attraction and have added a few surprises," he eventually acknowledged. "While I won't spoil those surprises here, I will give DVC members a little hint about some visual details I think they'll enjoy. This show building sits on the former site of the classic 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction, so we've hidden several fun little tributes throughout the building"

It appears as though we'll be getting a few more 20k easter eggs within the ride itself, much like the photo of the Nautilus in rockwork posted by the DisneyParks blog.

And, and optimistic mind might note that Dave mentions modifications to staging and the 20K references. Perhaps the rides won't be identical after all...

doctornick

Darn, just read that article and was going to post the same thing. I hope it's more substantial than just easter eggs, but it's good to hear that there will be at least some differences.

Pixiedustmaker

And, and optimistic mind might note that Dave mentions modifications to staging and the 20K references. Perhaps the rides won't be identical after all...

Thanks for the info! I certainly think that some scenes can be staged better, and with better transitions. Kind of vague though, it will be interesting to see the differences in the final product.

aladdin2007

this makes me feel much more positive. i like the one in DCA, but i do admit there should be a bit more change to it in the WDW one

Since our queue/loading is going to be so opposite from that of DCA, I think the load will transition better into the first scene, which many have remarked being an issue at DCA. Hopefully that first scene will be further tucked inside and darker here compared to being so open with too much outside light at DCA's version. Just one of the things I think we will see a difference with here.

Pixiedustmaker

Since our queue/loading is going to be so opposite from that of DCA, I think the load will transition better into the first scene, which many have remarked being an issue at DCA. Hopefully that first scene will be further tucked inside and darker here compared to being so open with too much outside light at DCA's version. Just one of the things I think we will see a difference with here.

Excellent points.

DCA's Mermaid's queue is kind of . . . cheesy, the clamshells pass through a faux boat which really looks bad, IMHO, and out of place. And you feel like you're in a carnival ride, not that your entering Ariel's world.

MK Mermaid's setup is a lot better, obviously, in terms of putting guests into the frame of mind of experiencing such an attraction.

Hadn't thought much about the light issue in the first scene, but you are so right that this is a problem. I guess I got used to seeing the "outside world" (outside light? in that first scene. Totally agree that the first scene, (if you would call it that), should have some twist arounds before you hit the first stuff to keep the outside light out.

I think they could also have a better/long transition to Ursula's lair.

One issue maybe nobody has brought up is that the ceiling mounted television screen, (showing Ariel with Flouder), looks OK if you are directly below it, but as the clamshell cycles away, Ariel's image looks bad, just like if you're looking at a flatscreen tv from the side.

Kuhio

It appears as though we'll be getting a few more 20k easter eggs within the ride itself, much like the photo of the Nautilus in rockwork posted by the DisneyParks blog.

There will also be a picture of Captain Nemo handing over the deed to Scuttle.
wink.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Id hazard minor tweaks to scene breaks and the like, but the layout, track length and scene placement is the same as DCA.

It will help having load fully enclosed.

jjharvpro

Good to hear some changes will be in MK's, however minor. I love DCA's and am not a hater at all, but I always am for the idea of not having IDENTICAL rides in separate parks.

LithiumBill

if they fix the warehouse lighting in the UNDER THE SEA room, I'm a happy camper. (although, I know no matter what, my girsl are going to go gaga for it)

voodoo321

if they fix the warehouse lighting in the UNDER THE SEA room, I'm a happy camper. (although, I know no matter what, my girsl are going to go gaga for it)
Yes. And please make it not feel like we are riding through a mall Disney Store. There is a very valid defense of the very plasticky, shiny figures in that it is depicting a cartoon, although I think they shouldve been more creative. There is no excuse for the warehouse, clothing store lighting and cheap looking fish on a mobile with the budget they were working with. Myself and my girls rode it with a very open mind, wanting to like it, but were left looking at each other like "huh?"

Pixiedustmaker

Yes. And please make it not feel like we are riding through a mall Disney Store. There is a very valid defense of the very plasticky, shiny figures in that it is depicting a cartoon, although I think they shouldve been more creative. There is no excuse for the warehouse, clothing store lighting and cheap looking fish on a mobile with the budget they were working with. Myself and my girls rode it with a very open mind, wanting to like it, but were left looking at each other like "huh?"

I got the same reaction from a diehard 5 year old Ariel fan. We have had lunch at Ariel's Grotto several times (too many for my taste, but she loves it), but she only rides Mermaid once each visit to DLR, and doesn't really ask to go on the ride. It is more us shoving her on the ride figuring that she must love it. Even with it being a walk-on, she didn't want to ride it a second time.

The first two Ariel animatronics are good . . . and I guess Ursula is sort of interesting, but you're right that the whole ride feels like a "clothing store", or a Disney store. The decorations look very cheap, and I don't get why they used big metal bars for the fish mobiles, and tons of plastic fish and duplicated animatronics. Even stuff in Small World is more artfully done, and that ride was built decades ago!

Despite having a "warehouse" size showbuilding, they didn't add nearly enough details for my taste, and a lot of what is there looks really cheap.

toolsnspools

I got the same reaction from a diehard 5 year old Ariel fan. We have had lunch at Ariel's Grotto several times (too many for my taste, but she loves it), but she only rides Mermaid once each visit to DLR, and doesn't really ask to go on the ride. It is more us shoving her on the ride figuring that she must love it. Even with it being a walk-on, she didn't want to ride it a second time.

The first two Ariel animatronics are good . . . and I guess Ursula is sort of interesting, but you're right that the whole ride feels like a "clothing store", or a Disney store. The decorations look very cheap, and I don't get why they used big metal bars for the fish mobiles, and tons of plastic fish and duplicated animatronics. Even stuff in Small World is more artfully done, and that ride was built decades ago!

Despite having a "warehouse" size showbuilding, they didn't add nearly enough details for my taste, and a lot of what is there looks really cheap.

You're about the 5th person that has said the DCA version is a walk-on. I know people movers eat crowds, but it seems that if the ride were really high quality, it would maintain at least a 20 minute queue. My expectations for this ride are getting really low, based solely on the fact the nobody is interested (apparently even young girls) in riding the DCA version more than once. You would think that large crowds in DCA to see Carsland would create a queue of people, even if they weren't there specifically for the LM ride.

Pixiedustmaker

You're about the 5th person that has said the DCA version is a walk-on. I know people movers eat crowds, but it seems that if the ride were really high quality, it would maintain at least a 20 minute queue. My expectations for this ride are getting really low, based solely on the fact the nobody is interested (apparently even young girls) in riding the DCA version more than once. You would think that large crowds in DCA to see Carsland would create a queue of people, even if they weren't there specifically for the LM ride.

From recent experience, Mermaid often has posted a "5" minute wait, and it usually 5-10 minutes. This is how it was when I went to Carsland weeks ago and the FastPass line for RSR was stretching around to Carthay! HM actually loads about as fast as Mermaid, if not faster, and the Haunted Mansion Holiday version often has long lines, plus Pirates/Small World actually load much faster, like a thousand more per hour, and they often have lines longer than no wait at all.

When I rode it, there were tons of clamshells going by empty . . . this in summer, in the middle of the day, for a ride that opened almost a year ago.

I really like the concept of a Mermaid ride, but I think that what was built in DCA was sort of done on the cheap side of things. Lasseter had to put his foot down to get the $$$ to do Carsland, and he basically yelled at a WDI executive who wanted to keep cutting budgets and told him that if he wanted to wait at the end of a cheaply built ride and tell guests what a success it was because it was built cheaply, then he go with the cheap way of doing things! I think Lasseter was talking about Mermaid because this happened a couple months after Mermaid opened.

The last couple scenes especially look bad, i.e. the cut-out Ursula and "shadow" of Ariel kissing Eric and getting her voice back (never mind it didn't even happen this way in the film.) Its not really a classic "adventure" like most dark rides, but feels more like a musical review of some of the songs, and certain scenes feel cramped due to lack of space. Plus, it uses about three screens, plastic fish that don't really move and they duplicate tons of identical animatronics, i.e. dancing turtles and stuff which is used in different scenes!

Mermaid is just a bizarre ride, IMHO, and one of the few Disney rides that once I've ridden it, I don't have any particular desire to ride it again as there isn't anything detailed or "new" about it as it is taken straight from the film and everything looks fake. I only ride it because it doesn't have a wait . . . if there was a 15-20 minute line, no way I'd wait that long!

The omnimover sort of works against the ride as unlike Pooh and other Fantasyland ride vehicles where you feel like you're in a different place, the omnimover makes you feel like you're watching a movie or something. Works for HM just fine as you want the security of the omnimover, and most of the stuff is darkness . . . not so much with a Fantasyland ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom