Military Beware

zapper

I thought I would post the following edited transcript of a letter I sent today.

9 October, 2009

Customer Services Manager
Walt Disney
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Dear Customer Services Manger,

I am very disappointed in the lack of knowledge that I've found out was displayed by the unidentified agent I discussed reservations with back in September.

At that time I asked if there were any discounts associated with being a retired United States Air Force member, and was told there were none available.

Now in preparation for my upcoming vacation, I discover this:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-resorts.htm#military

Based upon the following reservations, that I have already paid for,

Resort Reservations

- XXX
- XXX

Vacation package (resort/tickets/dining/flights)

- XXX

Ticket purchases

- XXX
- XXX

I estimate that I am spending at a minimum $1000 more then I needed to due to my status as a retired member of the armed forces.

And again this is all due to a Disney vacation rep (called at 1-407-WDISNEY) providing incorrect information to me.

I understand that there is nothing that can be done to resolve this issue now, but I would ask that your reps be re-trained to provide the correct information when asked about military discounts.

Thank you

XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Laura

Premium Member
That stinks! I've learned though that the people on the phones are not always the most knowledgeable. I ALWAYS check mousesavers.com before I call.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Unfortunately this doesn't just apply to the military, it applies to all of us who go to Disney. There is little reason to pay retail or full rack prices for any Disney resorts. We all have to make sure we do our homework by checking sites like this and mousesavers.com. I'm sorry this happened to you and maybe you could rebook if your vacation hasn't happened yet or use Kingdom Konsultants, but this type of innacurate info from CMs happens all the time and not just to military folks. BTW, thanks for your service.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I am so sorry to hear that you did not get the discount. I have an agent who is married to a military man and they are stationed in Colorado. She is our go to girl for the military discounts. Her name is Tammy and she is here on the forums as Disneyfalcon. You may want to contact her since she watched for any discount that is available for the military either at WDW,the cruise line or Disneyland.

Her email address is Tammy@kingdomkonsultant.com

Please let us know how things work out for you.

Pam

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I am so sorry to hear that you did not get the discount. I have an agent who is married to a military man and they are stationed in Colorado. She is our go to girl for the military discounts. Her name is Tammy and she is here on the forums as Disneyfalcon. You may want to contact her since she watched for any discount that is available for the military either at WDW,the cruise line or Disneyland.

Her email address is Tammy@kingdomkonsultant.com

Please let us know how things work out for you.

Pam

That's me! :)

Unfortunately, there was a lot of confusion when this Armed Forces Salute came out. Disney, somewhat understandably, doesn't understand the military with all of it's intricacies like active duty, retired, activated guard and reserves, retired reserves with a pink ID, etc., and the list of people who qualified was somewhat vague.

I certainly give them credit for recognizing the military, and after a time of different answers from everyone you asked, they seem to have gotten all the kinks worked out and made this an incredibly inclusive discount.

In the past they weren't offering military discounts to retired personnel at all, and now they not only offered it at the parks this year, but the cruise line is continually offering new military discounts for guard, reserves, active duty and retired.

Thank you for your years of service, and I am very sorry that someone gave you bad information. You didn't say when you were going, and it may indeed be too late to rebook, but if I can help in any way, let me know.

Upvote 0

zapper

Original Poster
:-(

I appreciate the words and support from everyone. My stay starts on 17 October, so it's a little too late to re-book.

I'm not going to let this spoil my vacation in any way.

The only problem I have with this whole situation is if I had known about the discounts, I could have payed for my parents to stay longer then my budget allowed for. Wisdom comes to those who mess things up.

You can bet I'll be checking on discounts in a more rigorous manner in the future (lol).

Again, thank you.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I appreciate the words and support from everyone. My stay starts on 17 October, so it's a little too late to re-book.

I'm not going to let this spoil my vacation in any way.

The only problem I have with this whole situation is if I had known about the discounts, I could have payed for my parents to stay longer then my budget allowed for. Wisdom comes to those who mess things up.

You can bet I'll be checking on discounts in a more rigorous manner in the future (lol).

Again, thank you.

Have you tried calling to have the discount applied? I can't imagine that they wouldn't adjust the rate for you if you haven't even started your trip yet.

When the military discounts first came out this year I had to make several phone calls in a row to find a phone representative who actually knew they existed and was able to book my room with the right rates. It's definitely something you have to be proactive about.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Have you tried calling to have the discount applied? I can't imagine that they wouldn't adjust the rate for you if you haven't even started your trip yet.

When the military discounts first came out this year I had to make several phone calls in a row to find a phone representative who actually knew they existed and was able to book my room with the right rates. It's definitely something you have to be proactive about.

Laura is right. I send you a private message, Zapper.:)

Upvote 0

captain marvel1

keep trying with shades of green. thats where ill be in november. its a great place to stay at. they found my missing digital camera not once but twice in lost and found and they figured out who it belonged too.

Upvote 0

StitchMom84

As others have said here, absolutely, either pursue this yourself BEFORE you arrive or see if a good travel agent can help you..as mentioned here also, someone who specializes in Disney.
I cannot believe that there is nothing that can be done, especially since you have yet to arrive.
That's allot of money and is worth the effort.
Good luck and and let us know how you fared with it.
And, again, repeating what most of us feel...thank you for your service to our Country!

Upvote 0

WDW 3

Wow! I read the title and got worried sounded ominous. We are going in Nov and taking advantage of all the military discounts we can. 20% off at LaNouba (that one I had to argue with the CM about and finally called the box office directly)

About LaNouba, CM insisted there was no such discount, I said uh, yes there is right on your website. CM "Which website?" Me "Walt Disney World" CM "I don't see it" Me "Search military" CM "nothing came up" (snotty). Me "try again" (I withheld any comments) CM "Oh, there" So my question is can I reserve seating. CM "No, you have to pay at the box office and can't reserve seating" (Snarky). I called back later and asked for the phone number to the box office and she let me reserve seats and gave me my confirmation number, just have to pay and show ID at the box office. THANK YOU!

You have to do your research and don't take no for an answer (the first time and maybe the second:)).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom