Mid Sept. or Early Oct.

Capt.EO

Me and my family are planning our upcoming WDW vacation and can either go mid Sept. (Sept 16-24) or Early Oct. (Oct 4-12). In everyones vast WDW experience what are the ups and downs of these two weeks? Which one should we pick :veryconfu

Mukta

Oct had Food & Wine Fest at Epcot.
Weather is slightly cooler in October
Crowds are light for both, but slightly lighter in Oct.

Oct is further into the off season so it may have more rides down for refurbs.

Prices should be lower in September because it is value season.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

I would vote for September. Actually, the earlier in September the better.

October gets really busy for F&W at Epcot. Unless you really aren't planning on visiting Epcot much in the evenings.

It is cooler though. Usually 5-7 degrees cooler per day. That can be a big deal to many.

Prices are higher in Oct for the resorts though.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Oct had Food & Wine Fest at Epcot.
Weather is slightly cooler in October
Crowds are light for both, but slightly lighter in Oct.

Oct is further into the off season so it may have more rides down for refurbs.

Prices should be lower in September because it is value season.

Actually, crowds would be slightly lower in September! The crowds do pick up a little towards the end of Sept. heading into Oct. As mentioned prices do go up as you're not in value season anymore. There's usually no more refurbs in Oct. than Sept. (and Sept. is considered "off season"). Weather is only slightly cooler but the sun sets a little earlier which will give you a break from the heat a little earlier.

Upvote 0

Capt.EO

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice.. Our first visit to WDW was 2009, we went over Thanksgiving, which of course was very crowded but the weather was wonderful. Sounds like the weather would be cooler in October but I think I would take hotter weather versus more people. How many people does the F&W festival draw?

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Thanks for all the advice.. Our first visit to WDW was 2009, we went over Thanksgiving, which of course was very crowded but the weather was wonderful. Sounds like the weather would be cooler in October but I think I would take hotter weather versus more people. How many people does the F&W festival draw?

We found overall that Thanksgiving this past year was a bit lighter overall crowds than the last week of Sept and first week of Oct in '09. Sure, the 4 days of the holiday were busy, but nowhere near as bad as weekends at F&W. Seriously, if you can go Labor Day week or the week after, it is the quietest time of the year. The other dead zone is right after New Years. Everybody is eager to take their kids out of school any time except the first few days of classes after the winter and summer breaks.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

Food & Wine definitely brings the crowds to Epcot... especially on weekends, especially in the evening. Plus, most of the booths take up valuable spots along the lagoon for Illuminations viewing. I'm not sure when the booths start going up; they may be there anyway in mid-Sept., but at least the crowds won't be.

I think the differences are pretty small: weather is basically a wash, refurbs are almost random, but Sept. will be cheaper for your resort though. I'd say if you would use the Food & Wine festival, go in Oct. If you wouldn't like the food and/or wine, go in Sept.

Upvote 0

crispy

September has lower prices and lower crowds, but it is still extremely hot.

October has MNSSHP and the Food and Festival going on, but the crowds are heavier (although not really bad) and the prices go up. It's also still pretty hot, but not as bad as September.

We have gone in October a few times, and although it's not extremely crowded, you do have to be careful about managing your park time. We found that if we visited the World Showcase during the week right when it opened at 11am, we were able to really enjoy the F & W Festival for a few hours before it became too crazy. The crowds really start getting big around dinner time and we found that we could barely walk through the World Showcase after 7pm. You also have to see what days MNSSHP is going on because that really effects the crowds at the Magic Kingdom. Even though the park closes at 7pm, party guests are allowed in at 4pm so it starts getting really crowded in the early afternoon.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

I'll throw in another vote for Oct.!
...Primarily because of the Epcot Food & Wine Festival - it's definitely worth it to us!
Furthermore, as some have mentioned, MNSSHP is going on - and you can't beat a good Halloween party!

Either way, be prepared for heat, but you should have a great time!

Happy planning!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

I vote October. October stands outs my favorite time to go to Disney. Weather is gorgeous, crowds not bad and I love F and W at Epcot and MNSSHP in MK.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Been there both times during the weeks that you mentioned and I enjoyed both trips... Crowd wise they are about even, but weather wise I definitely think it was a bitter cooler and more comfortable walking around the parks in October.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

September has lower prices and lower crowds, but it is still extremely hot.

October has MNSSHP and the Food and Festival going on, but the crowds are heavier (although not really bad) and the prices go up. It's also still pretty hot, but not as bad as September.

We have gone in October a few times, and although it's not extremely crowded, you do have to be careful about managing your park time. We found that if we visited the World Showcase during the week right when it opened at 11am, we were able to really enjoy the F & W Festival for a few hours before it became too crazy. The crowds really start getting big around dinner time and we found that we could barely walk through the World Showcase after 7pm. You also have to see what days MNSSHP is going on because that really effects the crowds at the Magic Kingdom. Even though the park closes at 7pm, party guests are allowed in at 4pm so it starts getting really crowded in the early afternoon.
MNSSHP will also be going on in mid-Sept., too. I think there was even one before Labor Day a couple of years ago! MNSSHP is definitely worth a try if you haven't done it before: many people on the board will tell you that the parade is their favorite Disney parade. I'm not a parade person, but I've watched it twice both times I've done the party.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

I've never seen the DL one, so I watched a video from '08 and they are definitely different. Some of the same things, but no Headless Horseman riding down the parade route at the DLR. :)

Upvote 0

smk

We were there this past September, around the middle of the month. It felt crowded but the rides lines were not too bad. There were a ton of school kids, to our surprise, mostly locals who apparently got a great discount to be there. The weather was really hot and we did go to the party one night, which I love.

I have pin codes for this fall so we are planning a trip in mid September again this year and hopefully twice to the party. I love going in the fall, either date will be okay if the hurricane season stays quiet. I went a few years ago in late October and found the F&W crowds to be overwhelming. Epcot was very crowded, not my cup of tea.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom