Mid April vs. Mid October??

Mikester71

Looking to get some opinions on both these times of year down in WDW. Have only been during our Spring Break (middle of March) when it is packed and pretty expensive, so we are thinking of trying something else next time. We are looking at either October 2014 or April 2015 as possible time frames. part of me wants to go with the October date, just because it would be a half year closer, but the other part LOVES heading down to WDW in the Spring. It gives you something to look forward to through what is usually a long and cold winter up here.

I know I can find the different price ranges (peak season versus regular and so on) and even crowd levels on here and on different sites, but I was kinda hoping for some opinions and comparisons from you guys to go with them!

Thanks! :wave:

GoochDSA

The weather and crowds are about the same for those times of years (assuming your April dates would be either be before or after the big Easter rush). With that being said I would have to go with mid-October. I have 4 words and 6 letters for you, "Food and Wine Festival" and "MNSSHP". Foodie or not F&W at the WS is a ton of fun to walk around and sample (that's not even mentioning all the seminars and special events you can experience) and the concerts at night are usually a pretty quality group/band/performer. The MK is all decked out for the fall/holiday season and MNSSHP, while note cheap, is a lot of fun. There are a ton of characters to get pictures with, you can trick or treat, HalloWishes is awesome and the Boo-To-You Parade is the best parade on property (honestly, the song is still in my head from this past October).

While going at a slower time in April or even early May is really nice and you get to see F&G and the Flower Power Concert Series, it just doesn't compare to what is going on in October.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
I guess since we've already seen the F&G Festival 4 times, it would be kinda nice to see the Food and Wine Festival for a change, not to mention the MNSSHP. And it sounds like the prices and crowd levels and all of that are pretty much the same no matter which month we choose. Decisions, decisions! :brick:

Upvote 0

GoochDSA

My fiancee and I have gone from just after Christmas to just after NYE, the first week in May and the last week of October together, and I have also been in late January, Spring Break, mid-August and mid-September and for both of us October was the best time of year to go. The crowds at DHS and AK were pretty reasonable and the vibes at EC and MK were great. But then again, you have quite a bit of time before you have to choose.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Definitely mid-October (but not Columbus Day weekend). You get MNSSHP, the F&W Festival, lovely weather, somewhat low crowds, and often discounts. Our favorite trip was during the 3rd week of October.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Sounds like October is the month to go!!! From the research I have done so far, it looks like both months have roughly the same temperature and rain patterns. The only thing that really worried me about October over April/May was that it is still considered hurricane season, so I was assuming that that meant more rainfall with a better chance of bad weather. Since we are still looking at another couple of years at least here, that gives me plenty of time to monitor the weather and temps the next couple of years during April and October.

I guess the only real benefit of going in April vs. October for me personally is, like I mentioned in my original post, it gives you something to look forward to while you are cooped up in a house during a long, grueling winter! Now while this year has been a DREAM winter so far (no shoveling yet in late January - unheard of in my parts), most of the time it starts to cool off in mid to late October and doesn't warm up until late April/mid May most of the time. So our trips have always been just as much an escape from the horrible weather as anything else really.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Sounds like October is the month to go!!! From the research I have done so far, it looks like both months have roughly the same temperature and rain patterns. The only thing that really worried me about October over April/May was that it is still considered hurricane season, so I was assuming that that meant more rainfall with a better chance of bad weather. Since we are still looking at another couple of years at least here, that gives me plenty of time to monitor the weather and temps the next couple of years during April and October.

I guess the only real benefit of going in April vs. October for me personally is, like I mentioned in my original post, it gives you something to look forward to while you are cooped up in a house during a long, grueling winter! Now while this year has been a DREAM winter so far (no shoveling yet in late January - unheard of in my parts), most of the time it starts to cool off in mid to late October and doesn't warm up until late April/mid May most of the time. So our trips have always been just as much an escape from the horrible weather as anything else really.

You could look at it another way... when summer is over and cold weather is starting to set in, you still have a trip to look forward to. I love my trips in the fall! When everyone else is starting to pack away the tees and shorts I can still keep mine out for a few more weeks! :D

I would pick Oct.! I do enjoy the fall decorations, MNSSHP is certainly worth going to at least once, and of course you have the F&W festival!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
You could look at it another way... when summer is over and cold weather is starting to set in, you still have a trip to look forward to. I love my trips in the fall! When everyone else is starting to pack away the tees and shorts I can still keep mine out for a few more weeks! :D

I would pick Oct.! I do enjoy the fall decorations, MNSSHP is certainly worth going to at least once, and of course you have the F&W festival!

That's very true, NewfieFan! October is sounding better and better. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom