Mickey's Very Merry . . .

stroberts3

Background - been to WDW 5 or 6 times. The most recent was only 5 years ago, so normally there's no way we'd be planning another trip so soon. But I just finished treatment for throat cancer and my wife, knowing how much I love the place, said we could go next December. A true bucket list item for me has always been the Candlelight Processional, so in a little less than a year I can check that one off.

This is the part that borders on heresy, but here goes. Is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party worth the $200-ish (I work in a church, don't make tons, we stay in the cheapest on-site hotels)?
> No kids, just me (61 when we go) and my wife (less than me)
> We love parades @ WDW - every time there's a parade we head to the less-crowded attractions
> We don't plan our trip around character interaction. If we stumble across someone, we might stop for a pic
> We'll be there for 6 days the week after Thanksgiving. So the lower crowds during the event won't be as crucial to us.
> I realize there's a special castle fireworks show during the party

So with that background, I'd like varying opinions on whether paying the money for a separate event is worth it for us. I'm leaning towards not doing it.

Thanks for your help.
Steve in Omaha

Hard to say exactly... the party is generally very well done and earlier in the season allows for lower crowds even during the party. I catch it every year at least once. The fireworks show is scheduled to change this year (if my understanding of rumors is correct). Have you thought about maybe catching dinner at California Grill on a party night and watching the fireworks from that location? They also have the fireworks music on the beach at the Polynesian... or you can look into an "out-of-park" dessert party.

I hope those options help... although they will most likely just make the decision more difficult.

To answer your final request... I think the party is well worth it each year. As your visits are a little less frequent, I would urge the splurge. Go for it and then your decisions can be personally informed for any potential future trips.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

MVMCP is a wonderful evening but given what you wrote, I would say to skip it.

The reasons to go to the party are the atmosphere (you can get it on a non-party evening), the parade and M&Gs (you said you would skip these anyway), the smaller crowds (not a big issue that time of year), the free treats (not a major $ perk) and then the fireworks and stage show. While these last two things are great, I don't think they alone are $200 great when you are trying to economize.

There is plenty of Christmas spirit to be had at WDW without any additional expense. Make sure you check out the decorations at a few of the deluxe resorts, especially the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge, and the Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

MVMCP is a wonderful evening but given what you wrote, I would say to skip it.

The reasons to go to the party are the atmosphere (you can get it on a non-party evening), the parade and M&Gs (you said you would skip these anyway), the smaller crowds (not a big issue that time of year), the free treats (not a major $ perk) and then the fireworks and stage show. While these last two things are great, I don't think they alone are $200 great when you are trying to economize.

There is plenty of Christmas spirit to be had at WDW without any additional expense. Make sure you check out the decorations at a few of the deluxe resorts, especially the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge, and the Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs.
I would agree for these reasons. We've skipped it twice (saw the holiday fireworks from CA Grill) and haven't regretted it.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Background - been to WDW 5 or 6 times. The most recent was only 5 years ago, so normally there's no way we'd be planning another trip so soon. But I just finished treatment for throat cancer and my wife, knowing how much I love the place, said we could go next December. A true bucket list item for me has always been the Candlelight Processional, so in a little less than a year I can check that one off.

This is the part that borders on heresy, but here goes. Is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party worth the $200-ish (I work in a church, don't make tons, we stay in the cheapest on-site hotels)?
> We love parades @ WDW - every time there's a parade we head to the less-crowded attractions
> We don't plan our trip around character interaction. If we stumble across someone, we might stop for a pic
> We'll be there for 6 days the week after Thanksgiving. So the lower crowds during the event won't be as crucial to us.

So with that background, I'd like varying opinions on whether paying the money for a separate event is worth it for us. I'm leaning towards not doing it.

Thanks for your help.
Steve in Omaha

Here's what I would do if I were you: If you're purchasing regular admission tickets, don't plan on using regular admission on that day. Purchase regular admission for one day less than the time you are there. Then purchase the MVMCP ticket for that night. Resort hop or visit Disney Springs during the day. As you probably already know, MVMCP is about the same price as one day admission to MK. Your cost would come out about the same. Then you can enjoy the parade time for walk on attractions (heh heh), castle show, fireworks, treats, of MVMCP. (I'm not much on M&G myself either).

Upvote 0

KTK

We did the MVMCP 5-6 years ago and were disappointed. It was disorganized, cast members giving wrong locations for character meets. The biggest draw is the character meets, parade, and fireworks so for what you have said, it wouldn't be worth it for you. I was more impressed with the Candlelight Processional. Try to get a dining package which then guarantees you a seat for the event.

Upvote 0

stroberts3

Original Poster
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I don't think your option actually works out. I was on the border between 5d and 6d park passes. So in your scenario I should buy the 5d passes and buy separate tkts for MVMCP on the 6th day. That adds $200-ish for the 2 of us. To go from 5d to 6d park passes adds $42 for the 2 of us. (9th grade math was 3 of the best years of my life!)

Upvote 0

Rasstuss

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I don't think your option actually works out. I was on the border between 5d and 6d park passes. So in your scenario I should buy the 5d passes and buy separate tickets for MVMCP on the 6th day. That adds $200-ish for the 2 of us. To go from 5d to 6d park passes adds $42 for the 2 of us. (9th grade math was 3 of the best years of my life!)

We were in the exact same situation for our trip last month. We went to MVMCP as a one night excursion while visiting family in Tampa back in 2014 and loved it. We selected early December for our full week trip with the same intention of "subbing" MVMCP for one of our park hopper days. When we realized how much more MVMCP tickets would be over what we would save going from 6 day to 5 day we almost decided not to do it. In the end we decided to go ahead and splurge on the party and keep our 6th day park hopper and use it on our departure day. This worked out great as we didn't use a park hopper on the day of the party and we ended up getting a cheap room right off property for the night of our original departure day and got another full park day.

As for the party I think it is worth it if you make the most of it. We concentrated on riding what we could with the smaller crowds. With the help of 2 fast passes in the 2 hour window before the party officially started we rode every ride in the park except for 7DMT which we had a fast pass for later in the week anyway.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I don't think your option actually works out. I was on the border between 5d and 6d park passes. So in your scenario I should buy the 5d passes and buy separate tkts for MVMCP on the 6th day. That adds $200-ish for the 2 of us. To go from 5d to 6d park passes adds $42 for the 2 of us. (9th grade math was 3 of the best years of my life!)
I always tell people who ask that they're the only ones who can determine if the hard ticket parties/events are worth it. The only way you can do that is to try it, at least once.

If you want to attend the MVMCP, you must have a separate hard ticket. All the "day guests" will be ejected at 6 pm. All the "hard ticket/party" guests will be admitted starting (traditionally) around 4 pm. Yes, it's only $42 for that extra day on the MYW ticket, but the recommendation is to just skip the opening to 4 pm window (thus not needing that extra ticket) and enter the park at 4 pm, thus getting three additional "free" hours from 4 to 7 pm.

You're still free to buy the 6-day and spend all day and the party night in the MK -- historical evidence hints that most people without party tickets avoid the MK on party days because they're forced to leave so early anyway.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

Thanks for your help.
Steve in Omaha

We love Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party!!! We just went this Nov and took our son who said it was one of his favorite things! We got yummy holiday snacks and ate them while we waited for the parade on Main St. We went on a night that had low crowds- early Nov, mid week. The longest thing we waited for was Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride and it was only 25 mins. Most everything else, we walked on.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom