Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween 9/14 worst one ever

WDWKat26

I have been to the MNSSHP a couple of times now, we went for the first day this year on 9/14 and I have to say, it was the worst one EVER
I was dressed as Jack Skellington and we arrived shortly after 7pm, it poured down for over 2 hours, Main Street was totally flooded with about 6 inches of water

Parades were canceled, there was only 1 firework show which was constantly postponed, there was only one show in front of the castle and it was too mobbed to even get close to see the villains afterwards, trick and treat stations were moved around but not all of the markers showing where they are were not relocated
People were walking around in the rain trying to find them only to get more fustrated

Most all rides were shut down for most of the night

I know that there is no way Disney can predict the weather but there were not adequate alternate plans in case of weather. Come one now, this is Florida. We all know it can rain at any minute and there should have been some kind of plan.

Here is an example
Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters were suppose to be in Belle's Story Garden but because of the rain their appearance was canceled.
They should have been moved to Toon Town and put in one of the meet and greet rooms. There are three rooms and one of them was closed. One was suppose to have suprise guests which turned out to be the Queen of Hearts and Mad Hatter. The other room had Suzy and Pearla. That was no suprise at all. They can all be found around the park or at a couple of character meals.

The Tremaine family should have been moved there as well as the character in costume meet and greets that could not be done in the park as well as the characters from the parade that could not perform in the parades.

Finally the weather cleared up and some of the rides reopened but most people just left before 10pm. We did get to go around trick and treating, most stations handed out up to 3 pieces of candy, some stations only gave 1. They could have been a little more generous under the circumstances.

We did get to ride Haunted Mansion just before midnight. All in all, we only got 2 hours that night to actually walk around and enjoy the park.

We left around 1215 and started to walk towards the monorail when we overheard someone asking their companion if they got one of the certificates for a free pass that they were handing out. I followed them back and got myself one. There was one woman handing out the papers if you asked for it. She was in the far off left side of the turnstiles. No one made any announcements, no one was yelling it out. If you were not nosy enought to ask her what she was doing at the front entrance, you did not get the free pass to come back another day.

Weather aside, just taking into consideration of how the situation was handled, out of a ten i would give it a ZERO.

From what I heard, one parade did go out. So obviously both parades weren't cancelled. Also, it's not like Disney chose to make the rain come, so why are you so bitter about the weather? It's hurricane season in Florida, it's going to rain. Secondly, there's not enough inside space to move all of the Characters inside. Third, you can't find Queen of Hearts anywhere. Fourth, Parade characters DON'T do meet and greets if there isn't a parade.

I guess it's true, some people will never be satisfied. If you're that upset, write to Guest Relations because complaining on here won't get you anywhere.

And P.S.-Since you're complaining about Characters that were available that can be found walking around or in Dining, Lady Tremaine and the Stepsisters can be found at 1900 Park Fare for dinner. So they're at a dining location as well.

WDWKat26

I think the issue about the party last Friday night wasn't really the rain but how Disney used it as an excuse for not being prepared. Rain is rain but when Disney built MK they know it rained in Florida and they compinsated by building a lot of attractions indoors. However last Friday night Space Mountain, Pirates, Buzz and even Pooh were shut down for a while even though they are indoors. The party was nearly sold out and when it poured for nearly 2 hours when it first started, the ride closures cause other indoor places to be over crowded with people. We were stuck in Cosmic Ray's with swarms of other wet, misserable, freezing people trying to find a place to sit while we ate our food. We ended up sitting on the wet floor with about 300 other people who couldn't find a place to sit. Teeneagers were chasing each other through the place bumping into guests, babies where screaming and tempers were flaring from all angles. It wasn't a pretty scene. Worst of all for those of us who braved the rain and the 3 inches of water flooding all of MK for 3 hours trying to get candy often found the candy stations either not ready or non-existant. Mind you this was an hour and a half after the party had already started. The first parade was cancelled. Hallowishes was postponed as an announcement kept coming over the speakers gave guests no indication as to when it would start. Finally after the rain had stopped for nearly a half hour then started raining again they started the fireworks. After that they rushed the 2nd parade which took forever to get through the park. After the 2nd parade there was about 45 minutes left of the party and the rain had finally stopped.

So if you weren't at the party last Friday night you can now see why people were upset after paying $40/person and getting about an hour and a half out of 5 hours in an overcrowded park to trick-or-treat in wet clothing.

I like your description much better. It definitely is understandable why you were so upset.

My DH and I and our 2 adult DS and their GFs were there that night. We all live in NC, and were at WDW from 9/8 - 9/16, so the MNSSHP was to be a glorious end to our week. That week was the only time that we could all work out to go together.

We arrived at the party just as the rain did, and it came in buckets! DS2 and GF were in costume. We had a couple of flimsy ponchos, and quickly bought more for the rest of the group, but we were all soaked to the skin within minutes. The lightning was the scariest part, especially since we've had an extended family member killed by lightning in Florida. I was ready to leave for that reason, but was outvoted. All of the shops or any place that there was any kind of roof overhang was just a wall of bodies. We decided to try to get to somewhere dry and safe to have a bite to eat, but there were very few restaurants open. We finally got to Pecos Bill's, which was packed. We did eventually find seats, thankfully.

I asked a CM in the Emporium about parade and fireworks times, and was told that the parades had been cancelled, but that the fireworks would go on if weather permitted. The rain did finally let up some, and we were lucky enough to get on POTC during one of the few times that it wasn't shut down. We got to HM (awesome!), Peter Pan, Space Mtn., TTA, Goofy's Barnstormer, and Buzz Lightyear. We held out for the fireworks, and were so glad that we did. We didn't realize that the perimeter part didn't work, because they were so impressive. We did get handsful of candy, especially along the Alice in Wonderland path between Toontown and Tomorrowland. Our biggest disappointment was missing the parade. The only thing we can figure is that we were in Tomorrowland when it went by, and we had no idea that it was going on.

Overall, we had a good time, but after spending over $240 for tickets, my spirits were a little "dampened" ;) by the whole experience. We did get the complimentary MK passes as we left that night, but I wish that I'd had some idea that there was any chance of getting a refund or MVMCP tickets. We have AP and and wouldn't use the one day MK tickets, and the rest of our party won't likely be going back to WDW within a year. I knew that the tickets were non-refundable, and that it's a chance that you take. I've learned to take things like this in stride, and try to appreciate the things that were positive (like not getting electrocuted!). :D

raven

One more thing about the fireworks. People kept saying that the fireworks were being delayed because of the weather and that they didn't want to launch them because they are connected to computers. I didn't quite understand thins because I have watched Illuminations in the pouring rain several times and they have never delayed the show or cancelled it due to weather conditions when I have been there.

Nemo14

One more thing about the fireworks. People kept saying that the fireworks were being delayed because of the weather and that they didn't want to launch them because they are connected to computers. I didn't quite understand thins because I have watched Illuminations in the pouring rain several times and they have never delayed the show or cancelled it due to weather conditions when I have been there.
Rainy weather and lightning are 2 very different problems.

iKat

... After all, if the weather is so bad in Florida, Why did they nickname it the "Sunshine State"? :lol:

I lived in FL most of my life, and I thought that the "Sunshine State" was pretty much false advertising until I moved to Pittsburgh.

2 years ago we were at Disney when hurricane Wilma (I think) came through and the night before we had MNSSH tickets. We went to the park and after about 2 hours they cancelled the parades and fireworks. My wife went to City Hall and asked and they gave us all tickets for the next nights party at no cost. We still got to ride the rides and get some candy. We find Disney to be very accommodating if you just ask. Don't expect them to offer you anything when they can't control the weather. Heck we knew a hurricane was on the way. :ROFLOL:

LoriMistress

Sorry about your crappy time at MNSSHP. Though, when you go to those parties there is always a risk that it might rain. After all, you're in Florida so you have to EXPECT that. Also, you went to WDW during hurricane season, so it rains almost daily.

wdhatter

As an FYI...Lady Tremaine and the Stepsisters WERE moved to Toontown in one of the rooms that night. I was there and saw them. You might have missed them since they do not stay out for 2 or 3 hours straight. They could have been on break at that time.

Also, the fireworks can go off in rain but not in lightning. That night they were delayed so long only because there was lightning within a 7 mile radius. Pyro cannot be shot when lightning is that close. You may not have realized it, but the lightning was bad when it wasn't raining.

The second parade did go even though it only went a few minutes late from its original time due to the late fireworks.

The Castle Villains Mix & Mingle could not be performed until the last show due to rain & water on the stage. It is too dangerous for the Cast to perform on a wet stage.

Just an FYI...

Fantasmic

I was at That MNSSHP or Black Friday as I've nick-named it, I was a very wet Zebra! Anyone see me?

We were on Splash Mountain when the rain started, so we got drenched, then we hung round pirates for ages when it was closed, and were the first ones on when it re-opened.

We got loads of candy, some CM's by Pooh's Playfull Spot gave us HUGH handfulls.

Did a lot of the rides too! Despite the rain we still had a fab time! We really did get soaked even though we had ponchos on, I was more worried about my zebra make up smudging!

Managed to see the fireworks from Fantasyland and the Parade from Frontierland although they were both late.

I think a lightning strike hit Tomorrowland and knocked out a lot of the rides.

Lauralee

I laughed when I read the title of the thread. Not because I'm mean, but because I was there! :dazzle:
Next time, we won't stay when it rains. We ended up leaving the next day because we had to take my brother to the hospital because of him being sick from the weather. Not fun.

Computer Magic

I like your description much better. It definitely is understandable why you were so upset.
I see the issue as Disney not caring. Disney should have cancelled the event and returned the money or offer another night. This crap about no refunds is just greed. :shrug:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I see the issue as Disney not caring. Disney should have cancelled the event and returned the money or offer another night. This crap about no refunds is just greed. :shrug:

The tickets plainly say, "rain or shine". It's not greed. The only way an event would be cancelled is if the guests' safety were in question. In that event, there would be some form of compensation for the cancelled event. Otherwise, it's Florida during hurricane season - rain can, and does, happen.

marinoalulema

Account Suspended
Original Poster
mickey halloween

i have a simple question

why is it that when a posting is put complaining about disney, people here get so defensive and agressive defending disney?

just read some of the responses to my posting, what is going on with the people here in this grouping? people are going to stop posting and responding if they get attacked each and every time the post an opinion or complaint

this is not healthy behavior

JeffH

Another rainy night...Friday, 10/5/2007

Last Friday we got quite a bit of rain as well. The first parade was cancelled, I don't think any of the castle shows occured, the fireworks were delayed a bit, and the headless horseman didn't ride. If the parade hadn't went off, I would have asked for compensation, but since it did, I let it go.

I was wondering if they were offering any compensation for that night? Are our tickets worth anything?

Oh, by the way, if you really want candy, simply circle through the same line over and over...as long as you wait in (any) line it's ok and generally after a few times they will give you a BIG handful...
Before the event we enjoyed the new Haunted Mansion again (this time all the effects were working).
We had a good time starting off with an event dinner at the Liberty Tree, then we loaded up with candy by circling through the Harbor House about 8 times. We were surprised and happy to see the ENCHANTED Tiki Room open (it was closed last year during MNSSHP?!?), and rode Pirates as we generally do, then spent the rest of the time before the fireworks at the dance party.

Computer Magic

The tickets plainly say, "rain or shine". It's not greed. The only way an event would be cancelled is if the guests' safety were in question. In that event, there would be some form of compensation for the cancelled event. Otherwise, it's Florida during hurricane season - rain can, and does, happen.
I know what the ticket states which was my reason for posting the way I did. That does not give them god rights. If I get a bumper sticker on my car that states "I'm not responsible for hitting someone, will that make me exempt?

This is an unusual Circumstance, we are not talking about a light rain. People could get hurt by cramming into Cosmic Rays. I'm sure the place exceeded the capicity allowed.So we disagree :shrug:

kubfish

We ended up leaving the next day because we had to take my brother to the hospital because of him being sick from the weather. Not fun.

Not to be mean but people do not get sick because of "weather" ...of my many pet peaves that myth ranks high on the list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom