Mickey v Mario

Phroobar

The rumor is these soundstages.

dkland.jpg

mickEblu

Original Poster
Im posting my review here in addition to the MMRR thread. Figured some people might not be visiting this thread or understand what the Mickey v. Mario title is about.

Finally rode MMRR today. Like I said earlier, I wanted to love it but somehow it fell short of my expectations that were already kind of low due to years of Not-so-Great reviews. I really want to stress this. I had this reservation for today booked 90 days ago. Ive been following news on this attraction closely since it was announced in 2017. I wanted it to be great. The concept really could have made for an amazing ride experience if executed properly.

I really wanted to believe that there was just something not coming across on the ride through videos that needed to be experienced in person. This wasn't the case. The lackluster ride experience doesn't meet the expectations that the elaborate and fantastic queue and pre show set. @Rich T said it best when he called it a D ticket in E ticket clothing. I guess I'm not a huge fan of these trackless rides that seemingly have to take place in these huge barren warehouses. I just crave more intimacy in a dark ride. The rooms are too big. There's too much distance between you and the set pieces/ screens in most scenes. I wanted to feel immersed in 360 degrees of cartoon and yet it feels like most of the time you're just staring at one or two walls of screens/ projections with not much else. The ceilings didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, especially towards the end as they are so high you really have to crank your neck back to look up there. I also went on Snow White and Peter Pan today and the intimacy of those old school dark rides cant be beat. You wait 10-20 minutes for most of them and get a lot of bang for your buck. Not the case with MMRR unless it ends up in the 30-40 minute wait range after the hype dies down.

Now that I got that out of the way... I didn't hate the ride by any means. It's cute and a super solid addition to Toontown. It’s a happy and lighthearted ride. I think it will be much better received and appreciated once it becomes just another ride in a sea of rides at DLR. This ride will get better with subsequent visits. I'm just slightly disappointed that it didn't meet my low expectations. I kind of kept waiting for one WOW moment or surprise to change my perception of the ride in real time. Not surprisingly, the more intimate scenes were my favorite. The movement and wind in the tornado scene is fun and is a good way to utilize the ride system. I really enjoyed the waterfall scene as it along with the tornado is one of the only times you feel like you are really there and it's all happening to you. All the tunnels work including the sewer. My favorite big scene is the Big City as it's staged really well and has a nice blend of physical set pieces with the screens. Good movement with some of the props/AA's. You're also much closer to all of the action. I wish some of the other big scenes felt more like this room. I wanted more movement in Daisy's dance studio and the climax at the factory fell really short. ROTR uses the trackless ride system much better.

Both Mario Kart and MMRR fell short in their own way. Mario Kart because they decided to prioritize weak gameplay over racing and MMRR for reasons I mentioned above. The queues for both attractions are top notch. Super Nintendo Land is a lot of fun and my son had much more fun there. No contest. To be fair we re comparing a whole new land, ride and mini games to one ride. When it comes to Mickey v Mario, Mano a Mano, Mario gets the W. It’s more of a traditional dark ride with more intimate scenes. The gameplay makes it more repeatable and there is at least one solid WOW moment with the Rainbow Road scene.

Now just to bring this back to DHS v DL… wow DHS really got shafted. MMRR is not a centerpiece or signature attraction. It should have been put somewhere else and GMR should have been updated. At DL, it’s a cute ride in Toontown tucked away at the back of the park. And we lost nothing for it. Ours also has a FANTASTIC queue. If you love Mickey and Mid century modern aesthetics you’ll love it. Its in the Top 3 queues at DLR. Maybe 4 depending on where you consider Mansions queue to end.

Oh ya, that song really gets stuck in your head.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s amazing how badly Disney is dropping the ball with guest experience in regards to the MMRR opening. To do this deceiving hybrid virtual queue/ ILL is dirty. It’s deceiving because it appears that they are saving the majority of the inventory for ILL’s and yet advertising the virtual queue as if it’s a feasible way to get on the attraction. I was watching a vlog today that showed a bunch of people sitting on Main Street staring at their phones on curb from the hub to Town Square with absolutely nobody cheering or moving at 1pm. They should have just made it ILL only. At least that way people could plan accordingly. But of course they want to avoid the bad press so instead they fool us all into thinking their is a decent shot at getting a boarding group.

Take me for example. My son was looking forward to MMRR for a very long time. Since he saw the DHS ride throughs. We had our 1/27 reservation for 90 days. The day they became available. I wake up at 6:45 am for the 7am virtual queue and they re gone in a millisecond. We go to the park at 1pm and try again. Also gone in a millisecond. With seemingly nobody around me getting one either. By that time ILL’s are sold out. Of course, if I knew how Disney was dividing the inventory and that there would still be ILLs available at noon I would have planned on being at the park earlier. Everyone thought those things would be sold out before 9am. It’s a real $hitty way to treat your guests and biggest fans just to make a few more bucks.

Now compare to that to the Super Nintendo World opening. They ve been having quiet soft openings for weeks that were very civil and pleasant. If someone wanted to ride Mario Kart, they could wait in line. Today I went to the Annual pass holder preview that had a long line but went very fast. Very efficient check in process. Got inside the land and it was busy but you could wait for whatever you wanted to do. This system Disney has going on for their new rides is absolutely ridiculous. It just feels like everyday Universal is out Disney’ing Disney when it comes to many things including attractions, guest experience, box office etc.

Back to my day on 1/27. My 7 year old son looked absolutely distraught when he thought we weren’t going to get on the ride. But Daddy found a way because that’s what Daddy does. My son wasn’t going to be disappointed while vloggers and Disney adults in Halloween costumes rode for the 6th time. Anyway, by the time we got on, the day had been tainted with disappointment, stress and anxiety. The ride was fine but not worth it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I can totally see myself giving up my Magic Key in favor of a USH Platinum pass in a few years. USH is 15 minutes from my house vs the 1 hr 20 min it usually takes me to get to Disneyland with traffic. USH is way cheaper and you get an express pass after 3pm included. Just waiting on a few more of those rumored additions and it will be a no brainer for me. Not to mention my son will be taller which will open up more rides like the Mummy and Forbidden Journey. Jurassic World will be an option too as I imagine he won't be terrified of it anymore. It's crazy because I could have never imagined me saying this even just a few months ago but it's just so much more convenient. Guest experience is better and there is no denying they are starting to introduce Disney level attractions at the park. Super Nintendo World is a great step in the right direction.

PiratesMansion

It’s amazing how badly Disney is dropping the ball with guest experience in regards to the MMRR opening. To do this deceiving hybrid virtual queue/ ILL is dirty. It’s deceiving because it appears that they are saving the majority of the inventory for ILL’s and yet advertising the virtual queue as if it’s a feasible way to get on the attraction. I was watching a vlog today that showed a bunch of people sitting on Main Street staring at their phones on curb from the hub to Town Square with absolutely nobody cheering or moving at 1pm. They should have just made it ILL only. At least that way people could plan accordingly. But of course they want to avoid the bad press so instead they fool us all into thinking their is a decent shot at getting a boarding group.

Take me for example. My son was looking forward to MMRR for a very long time. Since he saw the DHS ride throughs. We had our 1/27 reservation for 90 days. The day they became available. I wake up at 6:45 am for the 7am virtual queue and they re gone in a millisecond. We go to the park at 1pm and try again. Also gone in a millisecond. With seemingly nobody around me getting one either. By that time ILL’s are sold out. Of course, if I knew how Disney was dividing the inventory and that there would still be ILLs available at noon I would have planned on being at the park earlier. Everyone thought those things would be sold out before 9am. It’s a real $hitty way to treat your guests and biggest fans just to make a few more bucks.

Now compare to that to the Super Nintendo World opening. They ve been having quiet soft openings for weeks that were very civil and pleasant. If someone wanted to ride Mario Kart, they could wait in line. Today I went to the Annual pass holder preview that had a long line but went very fast. Very efficient check in process. Got inside the land and it was busy but you could wait for whatever you wanted to do. This system Disney has going on for their new rides is absolutely ridiculous. It just feels like everyday Universal is out Disney’ing Disney when it comes to many things including attractions, guest experience, box office etc.

Back to my day on 1/27. My 7 year old son looked absolutely distraught when he thought we weren’t going to get on the ride. But Daddy found a way because that’s what Daddy does. My son wasn’t going to be disappointed while vloggers and Disney adults in Halloween costumes rode for the 6th time. Anyway, by the time we got on, the day had been tainted with disappointment, stress and anxiety. The ride was fine but not worth it.
They're doing themselves no favors-advertise a new ride, then making it complicated to get on or requiring an upcharge in order to experience it.

It's a recipe to off people for no reason on an addition that should be an obvious win.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Damn. Really should've went during technical rehearsals.

Technical rehearsals were awesome. Yesterday was noticeably busier but not bad during my early time slot. Helped that we had already done everything and I was more than happy to skip Toads Cafe. Still, the land is tiny. This is just how it's going to be for a while until the hype dies down. It doesn't take all that many people in the land to make it look like this picture.

Ate at Jurassic Cafe(?) instead which has some solid quick service options.

CaptinEO

Biggest issue is this being called Super Nintendo Land. Why not Mario Land? There is only one Nintendo property as it stands.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The last 3 scenes on the Mario Kart ride are great from the Clouds to volcano Bowser to Rainbow Road. It all kind of forms together and I think a big part of that (aside from the cool atmosphere/ sets) is it becomes less chaotic was strong focal points. Also gameplay just works better on an attraction when you just park us in front of a screen.

TP2000

Can I blow your mind? If you played Donkey Kong then you played as Mario. DK was his first appearance.

I had no idea! But I get it now. Thank you!

Can I return the favor and blow your mind? I was too old for video games when they became popular in the 1978-1982 timeframe. But I did play them occasionally, as we all did to take part in the fad the teenagers were crazy about. I have a distinct memory of playing video games during this time in an arcade in the old Seaports of the Pacific area of the Disneyland Hotel. The arcade was on a barge in the lagoon, as my brain remembers it. Bizarre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom