Mickey v Mario

mickEblu

Original Poster
I thought, Id create this thread as Mario Kart/ Super Nintendo World and Runaway Railway/ "New" Toontown are about to head off as they are opening within weeks of each other. There are many similarities between the two lands and from what I saw at Super Nintendo World today, Toontown should take a page out of Universal's book when it comes to kinetic energy. Anyway, many of us live in So Cal and thought we could use a thread to give our reviews of the new attractions/ lands and maybe even compare when appropriate. I'll start with my review of Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think I'm going to have to ride Mario Kart a couple more times until I can form a solid opinion. I rode twice today. There is a lot going on and your vehicle is spinning while you have to look in different directions with a lot of stimuli competing for your attention. It almost feels like Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin and TSMM had a baby. Oddly enough, the gameplay component to this ride almost feels secondary. It feels like a dark ride first. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing. Mario Kart feels very hectic so the gameplay could get better on subsequent visits. It's a very ambitious attraction showcasing some really cool tech/AR but is also full of physical set pieces. There are some scenes that really blur the line between the two. The Rainbow road scene really excels at this.

The ride stopped a few times, I'm guessing for disabled people to get off/on and that really hurts a ride like this as you lose a lot of momentum. Overall as an experience, I'm not sure it really comes together for me. There will always be a disconnect due to the fact that you are going so slow on Mario Kart ride but to be honest it doesn't kill the attraction. It's still really cool riding through all the Mario Kart locations/ sets. What I think hurts it the most is that it doesn't excel at being a dark ride or at being a video game/ interactive ride. They almost take away from each other. It's not as easy to focus on the gameplay as it is on Smugglers Run (Pilots), TSMM or Webslingers. Which I guess may be a positive for some and could lead to more repetibility. I find it to be hectic though. Kind of like an interactive Mission Breakout without the thrills. I think the courses/ settings in Mario Kart are so rich that they could have made this ride more of a practical/ physical experience. Personally, I would have sacrificed the gameplay for more speed/ thrills. After all, we can PLAY Mario Kart at home.

Now that I've been on it, I think the perfect approach would have been to keep everything up until the finale more or less the same and have "Rainbow Road" be like an indoor version of the race sequence on RSR. No matter how you slice it, it's a solid addition to USH. The land is really the star though. It moves the needle for parents with kids of a certain age. Not sure if a childless version of me would be running back to experience the land/ ride more than once a year but it's a great step in the right direction. More on the land later...

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
You should be able to do that yourself by going in to Edit the original post.

I've done that type of title editing many times in the past with my fascinating threads that I create here to enrich our community.

Thanks!! Had no idea! Is this is a new-ish feature or was that Micechat where we’d have to ask mods to do that?

SuddenStorm

Thanks!! Had no idea! Is this is a new-ish feature or was that Micechat where we’d have to ask mods to do that?

Micechat is asisine. They won't let you delete posts. I also think they won't allow for name changes. Which is annoying since I don't like my username on there... so now I just don't post on there.

TP2000

I don't think it's new. It's been around for awhile. I have no idea how Micechat works on its threads. I used to post there some years ago, but I don't remember creating any threads there. It was always kind of unusual over there, as I remember.

As for Mickey Vs. Mario, that's a great idea!

I need to get up to speed on the Mario ride. Is it being touted as a big budget E Ticket headliner? Or is it downplayed a bit into a family D Ticket type thing?

I keep hearing that Mickey at Disneyland will be better than the DHS version, and is a true family E Ticket. Is Mario being marketed as the same type of experience?

SuddenStorm

I don't think it's new. It's been around for awhile.

Disneyland still has a someone active Usenet community- like a handful of posts a week. I figured out the Usenet stuff (which was admittedly before my time) to acquire some content that is difficult to source- and when I looked up Disneyland stuff on it was shocked to see people posting. Nuts.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I don't think it's new. It's been around for awhile. I have no idea how Micechat works on its threads. I used to post there some years ago, but I don't remember creating any threads there. It was always kind of unusual over there, as I remember.

As for Mickey Vs. Mario, that's a great idea!

I need to get up to speed on the Mario ride. Is it being touted as a big budget E Ticket headliner? Or is it downplayed a bit into a family D Ticket type thing?

I keep hearing that Mickey at Disneyland will be better than the DHS version, and is a true family E Ticket. Is Mario being marketed as the same type of experience?

Thanks! I think it’s more of the latter. Or I could just be saying that because I’m in the know. I haven’t seen very much marketing for Mario at all. I think that’s a good idea to keep expectations low. If people walk away viewing Mario Kart as just a part of the Super Nintendo World experience it will have better reviews.

I’m hoping they tweaked our MMRR a little bit but it sounds like it was just some minor staging stuff due to the different shaped show building. Most reviews I’ve heard have MMRR at more of a D ticket caliber experience even if it’s an E by most metrics.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

@mickEblu I know this is intended to be a head to head comparison but I’d also be curious where you rank Mario Kart relative to Universal’s other rides and attractions (top 3 or 5, I presume?).

Of course the same can be done for MMRR once it opens though it has much tougher competition by virtue of sheer volume at the DLR.

SuddenStorm

I doubt MMRR will even be top 10 at Disneyland Park. Or at least in my top 10.

1. Splash Mountain
2. Haunted Mansion
3. Indiana Jones Adventure
4. Big Thunder Mountain
5. Space Mountain
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Matterhorn
8. Peter Pan's Flight
9. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
10. Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln

Of course, many would have Rise of the Resistance and Jungle Cruise on there- but subbing those for Davy Crockett and Lincoln it's still a tough lineup to beat.

On sheer scale it will beat Peter Pan's Flight- but Disney has yet to top the sheer awe and emotion that ride evokes in a dark ride.

mickEblu

Original Poster
@mickEblu I know this is intended to be a head to head comparison but I’d also be curious where you rank Mario Kart relative to Universal’s other rides and attractions (top 3 or 5, I presume?).

Of course the same can be done for MMRR once it opens though it has much tougher competition by virtue of sheer volume at the DLR.

Ooo good question. If we’re talking quality and just pure fun, I’d have to go…

1. Jurassic World
2. Mummy
3. Mario Kart/ Forbidden Journey

I haven’t been on Forbidden Journey in a while but I think # 3 is a toss up. Mario Kart might be my third favorite ride in the park now.

I don’t think we can include the Studio Tour on this list due to its unique nature. Its kind of just in a league of its own.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Ooo good question. If we’re talking quality and just pure fun, I’d have to go…

1. Jurassic World
2. Mummy
3. Mario Kart/ Forbidden Journey

I haven’t been on Forbidden Journey in a while but I think # 3 is a toss up. Mario Kart might be my third favorite ride in the park now.

I don’t think we can include the Studio Tour on this list due to its unique nature. Its kind of just in a league of its own.
Good list. Swap out Waterworld for Mummy and I suspect that’s probably where I’ll rank it (though I haven’t been on Pets). And I’m sure the land as a whole probably is it’s own experience.

The challenge I have with Forbidden Journey is that it’s a coin toss with my motion sickness which makes it a “once a day” ride at most for me. Studio Tour is still a league of its own even if the newer “screen in a box” additions are a net-negative.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I doubt MMRR will even be top 10 at Disneyland Park. Or at least in my top 10.

1. Splash Mountain
2. Haunted Mansion
3. Indiana Jones Adventure
4. Big Thunder Mountain
5. Space Mountain
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Matterhorn
8. Peter Pan's Flight
9. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
10. Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln

Of course, many would have Rise of the Resistance and Jungle Cruise on there- but subbing those for Davy Crockett and Lincoln it's still a tough lineup to beat.

On sheer scale it will beat Peter Pan's Flight- but Disney has yet to top the sheer awe and emotion that ride evokes in a dark ride.

It might barely make the Top 10 for me. Like # 9 or 10. I could see me enjoying it more than Pan and Jungle Cruise. Pan is really just about the first 3 scenes. Nursery through Neverland and they kind of ruined London with the 60th paint job. The music though is just quintessential, classic Disney. Jungle Cruise isn’t something i ride all the time. I don’t think the attraction is super repeatable but I love the Jungle they created in the middle of Anaheim. MMRR would also have to knock off Casey Jr, ROTR and the DLRR to sneak in my Top 10. I could see it landing anywhere from #9 to #12.

So long story short Mario Kart means a lot more to USH than MMRR does to Disneyland but we knew this.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It might barely make the Top 10 for me. Like # 9 or 10. I could see me enjoying it more than Pan and Jungle Cruise. Pan is really just about the first 3 scenes. Nursery through Neverland and they kind of ruined London with the 60th paint job. The music though is just quintessential, classic Disney. Jungle Cruise isn’t something i ride all the time. I don’t think the attraction is super repeatable but I love the Jungle they created in the middle of Anaheim. MMRR would also have to knock off Casey Jr to sneak in my Top 10. I could it landing anywhere from #9 to #12.
Ironically MMRR would have to knock off another railroad - the DLRR - to get to #10 and land a spot after Alice…

It’s possible but not sure if it’s likely. Though with Splash retiring a slot does potentially open (at least temporarily) on my list once we’re going by “current” attractions. The current runner up in the bullpen in #11 being Mr. Toad.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Ironically MMRR would have to knock off another railroad - the DLRR - to get to #10 and land a spot after Alice…

It’s possible but not sure if it’s likely. Though with Splash retiring a slot does potentially open (at least temporarily) on my list once we’re going by “current” attractions. The current runner up in the bullpen in #11 being Mr. Toad.

I feel like it’s hard to be objective with things like this. Like objectively are Pan, Toad and Alice better than MMRR or is that the nostalgia talking? Haha. If I had to guess, MMRR has components that are more impressive than anything in the three rides mentioned above but may not measure up when it comes to being an experience as a whole.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I feel like it’s hard to be objective with things like this. Like objectively are Pan, Toad and Alice better than MMRR or is that the nostalgia talking? Haha. If I had to guess, MMRR has components that are more impressive than anything in the three rides mentioned above but may not measure up when it comes to being an experience as a whole.
Most definitely. Nostalgia is definitely a factor there. MMRR is at a minimum more technically impressive than Pan and Alice I’m sure, both of which are on my list.

Arguably it’s more technically impressive than Indy in its most recent state too lol 😂. To be fair I am one of the few here that does have RoTR on my top 5. So I feel like I try to to balance “newness” with nostalgia, but we’ll see.

1. Haunted Mansion
2. Pirates
3. Space
4. Big Thunder
5. RoTR
6. Splash
7. Indy
8. Peter Pan
9. Alice
10. DLRR

Honorable mentions to Toad, Matterhorn, IASW, Tiki Room, and JC.

TP2000

Thanks! I think it’s more of the latter. Or I could just be saying that because I’m in the know. I haven’t seen very much marketing for Mario at all. I think that’s a good idea to keep expectations low. If people walk away viewing Mario Kart as just a part of the Super Nintendo World experience it will have better reviews.

I just happened upon a story about Universal Studio's Mario expansion a couple days ago. With all that's been going on, it had slipped under my radar. It looked very fun and cute! I don't quite get the cultural significance, but if someone says "It's a video game the kids like" then that's good enough for me.

Mario is the Italian video game fellow in the overalls. That's about where my knowledge ends. (He chases stuff, or stuff chases him? But not like that gorilla who chased barrels in Donkey Kong.) And then they made a land and a ride based off of him. Bravo, Mario! 🇮🇹

I’m hoping they tweaked our MMRR a little bit but it sounds like it was just some minor staging stuff due to the different shaped show building. Most reviews I’ve heard have MMRR at more of a D ticket caliber experience even if it’s an E by most metrics.

It's such a weird thing now to label things with Ticket designations, but somehow it still makes sense. Getting to that E Ticket designation is difficult, because right about the same time they got rid of the tickets is when all the big new rides had to be thrill rides with height requirements. So to have a lavish new ride without a height requirement almost seems as though it's impossible to label it an E Ticket.

But honestly, if they opened the Haunted Mansion today would we consider it an E Ticket? Or Jungle Cruise? Or Small World? There's no physical thrills and babies can be carried along for the ride. The only reason they were E's were because they cost a lot of money to operate and to maintain and Richard Nunis really knew what he was doing with ticket books and park operations and guest demand circa 1962-1992.

Sidetrack: I could only imagine if the Parks had a senior leader like Richard Nunis come along again. That man knew his business inside and out, from stroller parking areas in Tomorrowland to designing high capacity loading areas effectively to proper dress codes for entry level managers (If you're going to wear Dockers, they better be pressed! I wanna see that crease in your leg from the Hub!), and he led the Disney theme parks to operational greatness that helped burnish their image with the paying public for decades. The last few decades of Parks leaders have either been faded copies of Nunis or clueless empty suits a million miles from Nunis abilities. More often they were clueless empty suits. Josh D'Amaro seemed to show promise, but where's he been lately? And if he's allegedly so good, why haven't the Parks had a renaissance under him? Did he get too much credit because he was merely slim and attractive and not instantly unlikeable Bob Chapek?

Back OT: I do love that they spent the resources and space and energy that they did for this Mickey's Runaway Railway thing though. It's one of those rare things that makes you think maybe Disney's US theme parks will survive this current age and live to tell about it. Maybe.

Last edited:

Phroobar

A little Mario history.
Following the failure of Radar Scope in North America, Nintendo's then-president, Hiroshi Yamauchi, requested Miyamoto's aid in converting unsold Radar Scope units into something that would sell well. Miyamoto conceived the concept of a love triangle and decided to make a game based on Popeye. This was abandoned due to technical reasons, so he decided to come up with a new idea using his own characters.[2]

For use in his arcade game Donkey Kong, Miyamoto created a player character originally known during development as Ossan (the Japanese term for "middle-aged man"), then Jumpman and Mr. Video Game or Mr. Video.[3][4] Coincidentally, "Ossan" would be the name given to a Mario look-alike in the game Golf. This character was given red overalls and a blue shirt in order to make the arms more visible as well as a cap and mustache, as hair and a mouth were impossible to animate on the arcade system.[5] The character was originally known as Jumpman, but Nintendo of Japan asked Nintendo of America if it wanted to rename him during the Western localization; president Minoru Arakawa and employee Don James thought it would be funny to call the character Mario after the suspenders-wearing Italian American landlord of storage and company housing, Mario Segale.[6][7][8][dead link][9][10][11][12][13] While Mario was initially described as a carpenter, Mario Bros. subsequently changed his occupation after a colleague thought that he looked more like a plumber.[14]

Miyamoto in a 2009 radio interview stated that he wanted to create a hero resembling an "ordinary odd-job man"; he did not like the idea of a perfect hero, preferring the idea of "ordinary citizens doing something really good for society," and would be "embarrassed" for making a perfect hero. He stated, "I like the idea of a middle-aged ordinary man doing something nice for other people."[15]

The above text is from the Super Mario Wiki and is available under a Creative Commons license. Attribution must be provided through a list of authors or a link back to the original article. Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario

200px-MK8-Line-Mario-Hop.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom