Mickey v Mario

CaptinEO

Haven't been on Mario yet. Mickey and Minnie is great. My only issue is that literally it took the place of a 20 minute ride.

They should have regularly updated the Great Movie Ride and built Mickey and Minnie in the animation area of Hollywood Studios.

I don't get why Disney is retheming rides in Orlando when they have so much space.

Phroobar

USH is definitely coming up with some nice stuff lately. SLOP and the new Jurassic World are great updates. Too bad we are losing the castle theater for the F&F coaster but I think I can live with that change. Now lets start to hear about the DK coaster and either Gringotts or Ministry of Magic rides. Take out the Simpsons for a classic Monsters ride.

As for Mario Kart's height restriction. I think it is fine. Mario is for older kids while Mickey is mostly for toddlers.

mickEblu

Original Poster
USH is definitely coming up with some nice stuff lately. SLOP and the new Jurassic World are great updates. Too bad we are losing the castle theater for the F&F coaster but I think I can live with that change. Now lets start to hear about the DK coaster and either Gringotts or Ministry of Magic rides.

As for Mario Kart's height restriction. I think it is fine. Mario is for older kids while Mickey is mostly for toddlers.

Having been on it I don’t understand why it has the 40 inch height requirement though. It moves like Midway Mania which has no height requirement. It’s not bench seating though. You have seats with fairly big and hard bulges. I kind of sat down quickly without paying attention and it got me pretty good right in the gooch.

Phroobar

Having been on it I don’t understand why it has the 40 inch height requirement though. It moves like Midway Mania which has no height requirement. It’s not bench seating though. You have seats with fairly big and hard bulges. I kind of sat down quickly without paying attention and it got me pretty good right in the gooch.
Maybe it has to do with the AR goggles fitting the head of three year old?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Maybe it has to do with the AR goggles fitting the head of three year old?

Yeah but they don’t have to wear them. Plenty to see without the AR and I don’t think a three year old would mind not getting the complete show. So why not just let a family of four go on without the child switching? I think it has to do with the seats.

mickEblu

Original Poster
How is the lap bar?
I edited my post after you responded…
Yeah but they don’t have to wear them. Plenty to see without the AR and I don’t think a three year old would mind not getting the complete show. So why not just let a family of four go on without the child switching? I think it has to do with the seats.

The Lap bar is one per seat and they are kind of bucket style seats if I recall correctly with those big bulges in the middle between your legs.

BasiltheBatLord

Not making Mario Kart a thrill ride was a big miss imo. The ride is fine enough but the first thing you think of when you think of Mario Kart is a car going fast, and in that respect I think they failed the assignment.

According to the Inside Universal forums, guest ratings for SNW and Mario Kart are lower than Universal was expecting so far.

Bob Harlem

Not making Mario Kart a thrill ride was a big miss imo. The ride is fine enough but the first thing you think of when you think of Mario Kart is a car going fast, and in that respect I think they failed the assignment.

According to the Inside Universal forums, guest ratings for SNW and Mario Kart are lower than Universal was expecting so far.
First thing I thought of was fun, it's a game after all. I think since they are focusing on the fun/game elements what they did on Mario Kart makes more sense and makes it much more reridable since the whole land and the ride is very overwhelming at first with how much is going on around you.

Phroobar

Mario Kart's ride mechanism should have been this.

iu

mickEblu

Original Poster
Mario Kart's ride mechanism should have been this.

iu

The more I think about the gameplay component wasn’t necessary. Nice to have for sure but not at the expense of feeling like you’re racing. They could have had the best of both worlds like RSR. Dark ride portion where you shoot stuff and then an indoor Rainbow ride race finale. Which I guess if indoors there’s no reason that portion couldn’t be part of the game as well.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The more I think about the gameplay component wasn’t necessary. Nice to have for sure but not at the expense of feeling like you’re racing. They could have had the best of both worlds like RSR. Dark ride portion where you shoot stuff and then an indoor Rainbow ride race finale. Which I guess if indoors there’s no reason that portion couldn’t be part of the game as well.
Do you think your opinion would change if they 1) dropped the height requirement ; 2) added the DK country mine coaster?

I ask because (having not yet been on it) I do think they envisioned this as more of the “interactive family attraction” to be a more accessible anchor to the overall land. It’s just unfortunate that the legal/safety teams or whomever added the height requirement. And that USH still seems on the fence about whether we’ll ever get DK to help round out our version.

PiratesMansion

At the same time, I feel like there would be some kind of expectation that there was some sort of gameplay involved. If there's any place where I can't realistically be upset that there's gameplay, it'd be an attraction based on a video game. And it does fit with Mario Kart itself-if the game itself was just about racing it'd be boring. Part of the fun comes from the items and playing them strategically.

Now I've never ridden the thing or watched a video, so it's very possible that how they actually implemented the gameplay and what I'm picturing diverge wildly. But I can't blame them for including it. If Harry Potter means interactive wands, I feel like people would be confused if a Mario Kart attraction didn't include some gaming component.

mickEblu

Original Poster
At the same time, I feel like there would be some kind of expectation that there was some sort of gameplay involved. If there's any place where I can't realistically be upset that there's gameplay, it'd be an attraction based on a video game. And it does fit with Mario Kart itself-if the game itself was just about racing it'd be boring. Part of the fun comes from the items and playing them strategically.

Now I've never ridden the thing or watched a video, so it's very possible that how they actually implemented the gameplay and what I'm picturing diverge wildly. But I can't blame them for including it. If Harry Potter means interactive wands, I feel like people would be confused if a Mario Kart attraction didn't include some gaming component.

I can understand the expectation but it doesn’t make sense if you think about it. The Mario Kart racers are racing. Not playing video games. We can play video games at home. They could have “really” replicated racing. You can’t say the same for throwing turtle shells.

Do you think your opinion would change if they 1) dropped the height requirement ; 2) added the DK country mine coaster?

I ask because (having not yet been on it) I do think they envisioned this as more of the “interactive family attraction” to be a more accessible anchor to the overall land. It’s just unfortunate that the legal/safety teams or whomever added the height requirement. And that USH still seems on the fence about whether we’ll ever get DK to help round out our version.

It just adds insult to injury to not have racing and have a 40 inch height requirement. Makes no sense. But yes it softens the blow if you get a DK coaster down there. Still a fun ride just feels like a missed opportunity. But I’m also not sure if I find it fun mostly becasue it’s a new experience

PiratesMansion

I can understand the expectation but it doesn’t make sense if you think about it. The Mario Kart racers are racing. Not playing video games. We can play video games at home.

It just adds insult to injury to not have racing and have a 40 inch height requirement. Makes no sense. But yes it softens the blow if you get a DK coaster down there. Still a fun ride just feels like a missed opportunity. But I’m also not sure if I find it fun mostly becasue it’s a new experience
But when you play Mario Kart at home, you're not just racing, you're also using items to attack your enemies. It's not even passive in that context. So I think a gamified experience fits and is logical for many riders to expect.

It would definitely be better if there was a racing component and you could use said items against another car (I get the impression that's not the choice they made), but I can understand why from a practicality standpoint that they went with something else.

It's a shame that it sounds like whatever they decided to do doesn't work very well, but it makes sense to me why they felt they had to try something.

mickEblu

Original Poster
But when you play Mario Kart at home, you're not just racing, you're also using items to attack your enemies. It's not even passive in that context. So I think a gamified experience fits and is logical for many riders to expect.

It would definitely be better if there was a racing component and you could use said items against another car (I get the impression that's not the choice they made), but I can understand why from a practicality standpoint that they went with something else.

It's a shame that it sounds like whatever they decided to do doesn't work very well, but it makes sense to me why they felt they had to try something.

Yeah I see what you re saying. I just think if you said to me great set pieces/ practical effects/ projections and thrills vs AR: gameplay and great set pieces I’d pick the former. Then again not sure if why I’m framing it as either/or or how they came to the conclusion they did. Regardless, there’s no excuse to not have racing on a Mario Katy ride.

The gameplay is the weakest part of the ride although I do enjoy one part at the end.

BasiltheBatLord

Is the Mummy toast?
According to them, DK is replacing soundstages and Mummy will continue to live on for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom