Mickey Monitor Entry 1 : New Epcot Pavilion (Horizons Thread)

OvertheHorizon

A few more thoughts:

I'm thinking that quotes about the future or visions of the future could line the walls of the queue for the pavilion. While the quotes would be in English, I think that one of the things we should propose for this pavilion is the idea of a headset with translation available in a variety of languages, so as a Brazilian guest, for example, enters the queue, they would hear the quotes on their headset in Portuguese. The headsets would be issued and returned in the same way 3-D glasses are issued and returned. Interestingly, the first known use of the word FUTURE was in the 14th Century.

I was reading more about the design of the original Horizons pavilion. Work began in 1979, and it opened in 1983 on the first anniversary of the opening of Epcot.

Because the pavilion was to be sponsored by GE, the first designs considered the idea of an Edison laboratory, but this was rejected since GE did not want the focus to be on the past but rather the future.

They made a conscious decision to focus the ride around the concept of the family.

They also designed what they perceived as an "achievable future" rather than a fantastic vision that might never be achieved.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
A few more thoughts:

I'm thinking that quotes about the future or visions of the future could line the walls of the queue for the pavilion. While the quotes would be in English, I think that one of the things we should propose for this pavilion is the idea of a headset with translation available in a variety of languages, so as a Brazilian guest, for example, enters the queue, they would hear the quotes on their headset in Portuguese. The headsets would be issued and returned in the same way 3-D glasses are issued and returned. Interestingly, the first known use of the word FUTURE was in the 14th Century.

I was reading more about the design of the original Horizons pavilion. Work began in 1979, and it opened in 1983 on the first anniversary of the opening of Epcot.

Because the pavilion was to be sponsored by GE, the first designs considered the idea of an Edison laboratory, but this was rejected since GE did not want the focus to be on the past but rather the future.

They made a conscious decision to focus the ride around the concept of the family.

They also designed what they perceived as an "achievable future" rather than a fantastic vision that might never be achieved.
That's something to consider for our version. I'm biased towards an "achieveable future" but am open to anything

@QuillPenn any thoughts?

Also I think @FigmentPigments said a while ago she was going to Disneyland/Disney World or somewhere in between haha

QuillPenn

Original Poster
I'm very much in favor of an achievable future, it only makes sense since it very much is in the spirit of EPCOT.

And, of all the concepts presented , I like the idea of focusing on quality of life.If we use the concept of guest created inventions, it gives them a chance to focus on what they care about the most in those three categories, since it goes without saying that what's important will differ from person to person.

spacemt354

Chili's
So let's try and set a goal of defining what we want for the attraction by the weekend (then this weekend we can iron out the concepts and do the bulk of the descriptions for it.

It seems like the theme of "quality of life" will be the overarching tone -- with Horizon's 3 fields (environment, health, and leisure) taking center stage.

Guests can interact with the surroundings based on the new designs they create in a pre-show -- with instructions/survey questions to help formulate their technology that will help them shape their future.

I'm thinking that maybe we can have a sample family (derivative from the Carousel of Progress and Horizons) but somehow have the guests see projections of themselves in some of the scenes -- an upgraded/enhanced Haunted Mansion mirror effect of sorts. That would also add to the interactivity of the attraction and the re-rideability.

spacemt354

Chili's
Here's some old Epcot concept art I found.

The Living Seas
people+mover.jpg

Horizons interior
h1.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
7412053005222600876%253Faccount_id%253D9

Here's a sketch -- the main colors I went with were orange and blue, not only to mix it up from the original -- but orange and blue are said to be a dynamic color combination (that's why many films shoot with an orange and blue background) -- having that in the Future World skyline could be an interesting mold.

And then the night image -- which I'm thinking could light up and change colors -- similar to how the original was designed to look like a spaceship -- the changing colors could look from far away -- like a spaceship is taking off.

8117511524746371736%253Faccount_id%253D9

Let me know what you think!

OvertheHorizon

7412053005222600876%253Faccount_id%253D9

Here's a sketch -- the main colors I went with were orange and blue, not only to mix it up from the original -- but orange and blue are said to be a dynamic color combination (that's why many films shoot with an orange and blue background) -- having that in the Future World skyline could be an interesting mold.

And then the night image -- which I'm thinking could light up and change colors -- similar to how the original was designed to look like a spaceship -- the changing colors could look from far away -- like a spaceship is taking off.

8117511524746371736%253Faccount_id%253D9

Let me know what you think!
Hi Space. I'm still out of town and only have limited time to keep up here. Do you have a prospective height on your design? I had a possible ride system in mind that would require maybe six stories high (not sure even how that would fit in with other future world sites, but if it were kept in the background, it might work. Also, was wondering about the possibility of a "wave" looking exterior (sort of a statement on "wave of the future"). Did you have a location in mind? I figured either where the dormant Life & Health pavilion or in the space between The Land and The Seas with Nemo & Friends. Architect Frank Gehry has done quite a few "wavy" designs.

I look forward to jumping back into the discussion when I'm home and have more time.

spacemt354

Chili's
Hi Space. I'm still out of town and only have limited time to keep up here. Do you have a prospective height on your design? I had a possible ride system in mind that would require maybe six stories high (not sure even how that would fit in with other future world sites, but if it were kept in the background, it might work. Also, was wondering about the possibility of a "wave" looking exterior (sort of a statement on "wave of the future"). Did you have a location in mind? I figured either where the dormant Life & Health pavilion or in the space between The Land and The Seas with Nemo & Friends. Architect Frank Gehry has done quite a few "wavy" designs.

I look forward to jumping back into the discussion when I'm home and have more time.
I was thinking 60-70 feet and in the "Festival" Wonders of Life building. Since realistically Mission Space is poised for a refurb, I figured we leave that space alone and work next door.

OvertheHorizon

I'm back home and ready to think more about this project. As I recall, we're talking about a multi-faceted attraction, that would include an IMAX theater (possibly the first component of the attraction). We've discussed the idea of multiple endings, and of striving for "achievable future." Not sure how you feel about incorporating an animatronic of Walt Disney to introduce the attraction? I think his presence would help underscore the whole inspiration for Epcot.

In terms of a ride, I was wondering if we could use modified technology from the Tower of Terror. Specifically, we know that the elevator technology used in the Tower of Terror is "controlled." In other words, the elevator platform can be moved up or down, and "down" can actually be faster than a gravity drop. What if part of our ride involved putting vehicles on a larger elevator platform and sending riders "UP" six stories? It would become an added thrill component to the ride. It's an idea I've been mulling.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm back home and ready to think more about this project. As I recall, we're talking about a multi-faceted attraction, that would include an IMAX theater (possibly the first component of the attraction). We've discussed the idea of multiple endings, and of striving for "achievable future." Not sure how you feel about incorporating an animatronic of Walt Disney to introduce the attraction? I think his presence would help underscore the whole inspiration for Epcot.

In terms of a ride, I was wondering if we could use modified technology from the Tower of Terror. Specifically, we know that the elevator technology used in the Tower of Terror is "controlled." In other words, the elevator platform can be moved up or down, and "down" can actually be faster than a gravity drop. What if part of our ride involved putting vehicles on a larger elevator platform and sending riders "UP" six stories? It would become an added thrill component to the ride. It's an idea I've been mulling.
I remember way back @MCParradox and drew a concept for a drop tower Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction!
xk74Zmz.png

j8xiMYF.png

Perhaps a bit of inspiration of that vehicle. Are you thinking more of a static vehicle that moves up a shaft? Or something with wheels that is on a trackless system?

OvertheHorizon

I remember way back @MCParradox and drew a concept for a drop tower Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction!
xk74Zmz.png

j8xiMYF.png

Perhaps a bit of inspiration of that vehicle. Are you thinking more of a static vehicle that moves up a shaft? Or something with wheels that is on a trackless system?
I was thinking of a stationary "speed lift" (using the elevator tech from the ToT ride). If we use trackless vehicles for the ride portion of our attraction, at some point - after going past realistic sets, they would move on to that speed lift - perhaps see some type of a presentation - and then be zoomed upward (the thrill part) and from there the trackless vehicles would move on to the final phase of the attraction.

spacemt354

Chili's
I was thinking of a stationary "speed lift" (using the elevator tech from the ToT ride). If we use trackless vehicles for the ride portion of our attraction, at some point - after going past realistic sets, they would move on to that speed lift - perhaps see some type of a presentation - and then be zoomed upward (the thrill part) and from there the trackless vehicles would move on to the final phase of the attraction.
Maybe they could be "shot" through into the future? Like a time portal?

spacemt354

Chili's
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. It's just tricky figuring out exactly what would be the last images they'd see. Just a few details to still work out. :hilarious:
A picture of Progress City maybe? Similar to Discoveryland where they tried to hit a time period that wouldn't be outdated...the concept of Progress City is vital to Epcot and probably would never happen -- maybe that's the "goal" of the future -- and then the scenes after the ascent into the future are part of the attainable future

OvertheHorizon

A picture of Progress City maybe? Similar to Discoveryland where they tried to hit a time period that wouldn't be outdated...the concept of Progress City is vital to Epcot and probably would never happen -- maybe that's the "goal" of the future -- and then the scenes after the ascent into the future are part of the attainable future
I need to read more about "Progress City." Is that the city for which there is a model when you take the People Mover through Space Mountain?

OvertheHorizon

When you visit One Man's Dream in Hollywood Studios there is a display about Walt Disney's announcement (including short video) about the "Florida project" noting that the heart of Disney World would be his Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Obviously, he had ideas (many of which have carried over today) into planned communities. But his ideas were outlined in 1966, not long before his death. In the context of our (hopefully) relevant Century 22 pavilion, I think we have to give contemporary realization to those, now, fifty-one year old ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom