Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

UNCgolf

I'm sorry you can't find the joy in FoP that I do... or the many, many people who scream during the drops. That's not something that happens watching a high definition video at home.

Considering the dislike for flying theaters... y'all may want to skip the new Marvel Land at DCA...

I like FoP! It's a good ride. And I like Soarin' too! I do think the new Marvel Land sounds very underwhelming, though.

But I wasn't blown away by FoP the way other people are and the drops etc. didn't really do anything for me. It basically just felt like I was watching a giant movie of a gorgeous location (which is enough to make me want to ride it again). No one screamed when I rode it, but I'm sure it happens.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I think that the problem with DHS was always that it was a rushed, half-azzed effort and instead of steadily growing the park to be full sized, Disney went with the "4 great parks!" marketing slogan and after adding an off-the-shelf launch coaster and cloning Tower of Terror, let things slide and deteriorate. Now they have a new, exciting land plus a new, fairly ordinary land and people are literally going nuts trying to game the apps and projected opening dates and squeeze all the novelty out of the orange to make the drive over there and the extra days on their park passes "worth it".
Um, our Tower is the original. Not a clone. And the only one with the 5th dimension.

SuperStretccch

I wouldn't agree with that, but that's mainly because I dislike the majority of rides at Universal as opposed to thinking Flight of Passage is something singularly great.

It seems like I'm one of the only people in the world who feels this way, but Forbidden Journey is poorly designed -- it's incredibly uncomfortable to ride because it jerks you around all over the place. It gave me horrendous motion sickness and my GF actually had neck pain after riding it from getting whipped around.

nah it ain't just you. Personally I love FJ, but my mother on the other hand cannot handle it for (same with the Simpsons Ride). She always sits out in the child swap whenever I go on; considers it the worst ride in the park. I'm not one to get motion sick easily but I can certainly see how the ride disorients a lot of people. I feel like it's both a case of roughness and the way the film movements sync up with the vehicle; it goes so fast that it feels "unnatural" to some and they end up nauseous. Wild Arctic at Seaworld is another big offender of this (please, tear that down already!)

no one in my family had a problem with FoP, though :)

UNCgolf

Also, to clarify -- I don't think it's actually possible to get 90% of the FoP experience at home because I don't think anyone has access to the full uncropped ride video. If you're watching a POV, you're only seeing the portion of the screen that they're filming; you can't look around and see everything else around the edges the way you can if you're on the ride. You'd also need a 60"+ or so TV for it to work even if you could get the full ride video. And I'm still not claiming that would be the exact same experience; you'd definitely miss some things. I just think you can get much closer to that experience than you can when you're riding something with physical sets/effects.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

nah it ain't just you. Personally I love FJ, but my mother on the other hand cannot handle it for **** (same with the Simpsons Ride). She always sits out in the child swap whenever I go on; considers it the worst ride in the park. I'm not one to get motion sick easily but I can certainly see how the ride disorients a lot of people. I feel like it's both a case of roughness and the way the film movements sync up with the vehicle; it goes so fast that it feels "unnatural" to some and they end up nauseous. Wild Arctic at Seaworld is another big offender of this (please, tear that **** down already!)

I didn't even try riding the Simpsons ride after Forbidden Journey. I read it's one of the worst rides in the world for motion sickness. People who have never suffered motion sickness on any other ride complain about getting sick on the Simpsons.

And yeah, I had no issues with Flight of Passage either.

Josh Hendy

I didn't even try riding the Simpsons ride after Forbidden Journey. I read it's one of the worst rides in the world for motion sickness. People who have never suffered motion sickness on any other ride complain about getting sick on the Simpsons.
True. It's still fun to ride but only if you look away from the screen frequently. Look around at the other cars it's cool how they work. For some reason, when you do this people feel like they're being watched, turn around and notice you watching then they elbow their friends and say, "Hey look you can see the other cars!"

If you don't mind spoilers, watch the ride on youtube first with subtitles because the jokes are rapid fire and hard to hear at times.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sorry you can't find the joy in FoP that I do... or the many, many people who scream during the drops. That's not something that happens watching a high definition video at home.

Considering the dislike for flying theaters... y'all may want to skip the new Marvel Land at DCA...
I find it’s better to do River Journey first. Then FoP can seem amazing compared to it :)

UNCgolf

I find it’s better to do River Journey first. Then FoP can seem amazing compared to it :)

I like River Journey! It's not as good as Flight of Passage of course, but it's such an intricately detailed, immersive ride. The problem is that they forgot to do anything else with it. There's nothing telling you where you are, why you're there, or what's happening. It's like spending millions of dollars on an incredible lifelike set for a stage show, and then hastily slapping together a terrible script that completely fails to take advantage of the set you built.

Still though, compared to other recent WDW rides of its ilk (Frozen, Little Mermaid) it's fantastic. They seem so empty and cheap in comparison.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I like River Journey! It's not as good as Flight of Passage of course, but it's such an intricately detailed, immersive ride. The problem is that they forgot to do anything else with it. There's nothing telling you where you are, why you're there, or what's happening. It's like spending millions of dollars on an incredible lifelike set for a stage show, and then hastily slapping together a terrible script that completely fails to take advantage of the set you built.

Still though, compared to other recent WDW rides of its ilk (Frozen, Little Mermaid) it's fantastic. They seem so empty and cheap in comparison.
Took first timers on it. We rounded the bend where you see unload and they said “is that it?”

They agreed it was like MKs PotC having unload where the drop should be.

UNCgolf

Took first timers on it. We rounded the bend where you see unload and they said “is that it?”

Oh, it should be significantly better than it is; there's no doubt about that. Grading on a curve I think it's a much better ride than Little Mermaid and Frozen, but that's not an excuse -- both of those rides should be much more than they are as well (and Frozen shouldn't be in EPCOT at all, but no reason to rehash that).

River Journey is a relaxing ride with some pretty scenery if you have a FastPass and don't have to wait for it. If I actually waited in line for two hours like some people do I'd probably hate it. Disney should absolutely do better.

Josh Hendy

Probably conceived and greenlighted at the lowest point of WDW's "lost period". I remember on the original leaked plans the boat ride had several more loops passing in and out of the building. Then they decided ... naw ...

Jaws at USF ... now there was a boat ride with a story!

And when it was done they didn't leave it as an empty pit behind a fence for years like 20,000 Leagues.

RSoxNo1

At the MK and Epcot, capacity was higher in the late 80s–early 2000s.
I believe it at Epcot, I would think that once Mine Train opened MK is probably a little higher, although the loss of the railroad may have reverted it back to the Skyway days.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, you can't beat the experience of riding a ride when you don't know what it does ahead of time.
I've deliberately avoided finding out too much about RotR - though I still know to much.
Likewise FoP.
And Runaway Railway.
I want to experience all of these knowing as little as I can going in.
That makes me chuckle. When I first started going there every single attraction was not previously seen. The internet was not the magic that it is today in 1983. So I have experienced it both ways and find that each had it's own positive thing. Not seeing it before gave us a instant surprise, but, so many things were happening all at once that it was impossible to really focus on anything special. Now being able to see it on video does give us an idea of how it generally looks, but in no way does it begin to give the same experience as actually seeing it in person. The detail is so much clearer, the dimensions and colors are much more vibrant and there are so many things that you didn't see because the person with the camera was only facing one way when it actually is pretty close to a 360 degree experience. It does help people with certain phobias to make a decision about riding or not. I'm not sure why that wasn't a problem back in 1983.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

nah it ain't just you. Personally I love FJ, but my mother on the other hand cannot handle it for **** (same with the Simpsons Ride). She always sits out in the child swap whenever I go on; considers it the worst ride in the park. I'm not one to get motion sick easily but I can certainly see how the ride disorients a lot of people. I feel like it's both a case of roughness and the way the film movements sync up with the vehicle; it goes so fast that it feels "unnatural" to some and they end up nauseous. Wild Arctic at Seaworld is another big offender of this (please, tear that **** down already!)

You should see what the Simpson ride was like when it was Back to the Future. That was the most active simulator in all of central Florida. With the exception of the Kennedy Space Center I would imagine. It was also the easiest to keep up with. It wasn't near as choppy as the Simpson ride film wise and had a much more followable path and story.

disneygeek90

That makes me chuckle. When I first started going there every single attraction was not previously seen. The internet was not the magic that it is today in 1983. So I have experienced it both ways and find that each had it's own positive thing. Not seeing it before gave us a instant surprise, but, so many things were happening all at once that it was impossible to really focus on anything special. Now being able to see it on video does give us an idea of how it generally looks, but in no way does it begin to give the same experience as actually seeing it in person. The detail is so much clearer, the dimensions and colors are much more vibrant and there are so many things that you didn't see because the person with the camera was only facing one way when it actually is pretty close to a 360 degree experience. It doesn't help people with certain phobias to make a decision about riding or not. I'm not sure why that wasn't a problem back in 1983.
I think it’s still overall more impactful to first experience an attraction yourself, and then go back and watch videos for things you might have missed after. I can’t even tell you how many ROTR experience videos I’ve watched on YouTube. Partially because I like to see potentially different effects, and partially because I love to see how excited everyone is on their first ride.

disneygeek90

You should see what the Simpson ride was like when it was Back to the Future. That was the most active simulator in all of central Florida. With the exception of the Kennedy Space Center I would imagine. It was also the easiest to keep up with. It wasn't near as choppy as the Simpson ride film wise and had a much more followable path and story.
Simpson’s is horrendous. I don’t get motion sickness very easily, rode that a couple years ago and felt incredibly nauseas. I have an AP and skip it from now on. Forbidden Journey is fine one time through, a second time in a row is pushing it.

RSoxNo1

Simpson’s is horrendous. I don’t get motion sickness very easily, rode that a couple years ago and felt incredibly nauseas. I have an AP and skip it from now on. Forbidden Journey is fine one time through, a second time in a row is pushing it.
I felt Back to the Future was more of a puke machine.

Steph15251

This should surprise no one. DizNoids are so biased. FoP would be a very non phenomenal ride at Universal. RotR is being lauded as a state of the art masterpiece, even though it does nothing that hasn’t been around for 10+ Years.

The hype is so high on this, and after Disney finally DID open a top notch E ticket ride this ride is in a tough spot. Although the DizNoids will still be posting how they cried after getting off, many in the public will go “that didn’t look like Mickey”, or the dreaded “Universal does nothing but screen based rides”.

Of course, the main issue at ALL WDW parks remains that as attendance has skyrocketed for 20 years, ride capacity has been damn near flat.
I am not bias nor am I a diszoid ,I just do not compare disney to uni since I have not been there in over 10 years.
I think I would love MMRR but I am not being bias.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom