Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

psuchad

I have absolutely no idea what was going on with that forest-to-city change. Is that supposed to be something innovative? To me, it looks like an image on a screen changing, with a cool transition. I can do something similar on Powerpoint.

And how does that make any sense story-wise?

Color me confused. Curious, but mostly confused.

The way I saw it, it would be something where the projection surface changes along with the projection. For example, a rectangle building would rotate along with the projection change to a triangle tree projection. Not only does the projection change, but the three dimensional object also changes.

BasiltheBatLord

I'm seriously kind of flabbergasted that people were expecting "normal" Mickey (as in typical optimistic, kid-friendly, buy-all-my-merchandise) Mickey to be the focus here. I always expected that this would revolve around a more mischievous kind of character given that it would fit itself to a more adventurous, thrilling ride.

SJN1279

The first season of Mickey shorts is fantastic. My son loves Mickey, and loves this version. I can't wait for the ride. Any idea of an opening? Before 2021?!

HowAboutDisney

You can see the old school Mickey Mouse at Epcot in the old captain EO location in a 3D short.. Also I’m not ruling out that at some point in this new ride Mickey might transform into the old school Mickey in some way or the other..

JBIRDTO

You can see the old school Mickey Mouse at Epcot in the old captain EO location in a 3D short.. Also I’m not ruling out that at some point in this new ride Mickey might transform into the old school Mickey in some way or the other..
So I watched about 10 of the new shorts last night and I must say I am impressed. I actually laughed out loud several times, thought the humour was current, inventive and smart. I instantly was reminded of older shorts. Mickey is sweet, charismatic and someone mischievous.
The animation style was also engaging. I think when you see stills of the new characters it does not demonstrate the personality of the characters. When they are animated they really come to life! The use of still painted backgrounds with some specific animated pieces really makes the characters stand out and be the stars. I was skeptical at first but really looking forward to this new attraction.

PB Watermelon

I just don't get how they'd miss the obvious or chose not to go with the obvious...making the attraction a trip through Mickey's long evolving history through the years, let the audience exit through a gift shop, with Mickey merchandise from all the various eras, and letting them buy whatever their favorite "Mickey" incarnation is. Basing the entire thing on what I call "SpongeMick MousePants" seems like a missed opportunity.

dreamscometrue

So I watched about 10 of the new shorts last night and I must say I am impressed. I actually laughed out loud several times, thought the humour was current, inventive and smart. I instantly was reminded of older shorts. Mickey is sweet, charismatic and someone mischievous.
The animation style was also engaging. I think when you see stills of the new characters it does not demonstrate the personality of the characters. When they are animated they really come to life! The use of still painted backgrounds with some specific animated pieces really makes the characters stand out and be the stars. I was skeptical at first but really looking forward to this new attraction.
I feel exactly the same way after watching some of the shorts this week. I was looking forward to the attraction since it was announced, but am really excited now.

Timothy_Q

Honestly, people saying the new shorts are ugly and feel nothing like "the real mickey" need to get a grip.

These shorts have a stunning art direction, that is often inspired by Mary Blair.

They finally gave Mickey back his personality after 60 years of being a neutered, one-note corportare logo.
People are so ingrained with the bland image he is today that they forget he used to have a wide range of emotions and actions.
(Steamboat Willie is about torturing animals for music, something that would fit perfectly in a Ren and Stimpy cartoon, so)

And there's so much heart in these shorts, especially the cultural ones set in different countries.

5310529cbfe2a924deb1117d_003a5819.jpeg

1280x720-z9e.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

No Name

Quite frankly, I love the character he's become today, and think he should stay that way.
The "real Mickey" to me and just about everyone else is the one we've seen all our lives.
I don't think they're doing any service to the character by bringing out his old personality.
And I'd say he's anything but bland.

To each their own @MickeyMario . But I have plenty a grip.

Kamikaze

And will be quickly undone when the feedback hits. Disney parks are geared towards the entire family, while the Disney Channel is geared towards children....I suspect that there will be a negative backlash against this animation style that it won't last very long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journ...9.E2.80.932001:_Journey_into_YOUR_Imagination

Disney Channel has been targeting tweens and teens for a long time for its night time shows. Mornings, yes, thats more young kid oriented.

BlindChow

I'm seriously kind of flabbergasted that people were expecting "normal" Mickey (as in typical optimistic, kid-friendly, buy-all-my-merchandise) Mickey to be the focus here. I always expected that this would revolve around a more mischievous kind of character given that it would fit itself to a more adventurous, thrilling ride.
They chose the cheap Flash-animated Disney Channel Mickey simply because it's the current IP they wanted to promote. That was the extent of their decision. It fits in perfectly with Disney executive's current modus operandi for choosing new rides.

I think people were hoping for "normal" Mickey because he would have had a more timeless appeal. Especially if it was a "Mickey Through the Ages" type of story. THAT would have been a far more appropriate theme to replace what once was the signature attraction in the park...

Just watch the recent "Get a Horse" animated short if you don't think "normal" Mickey could work in an adventurous, thrilling ride.

JBIRDTO

Honestly, people saying the new shorts are ugly and feel nothing like "the real mickey" need to get a grip.

These shorts have a stunning art direction, that is often inspired by Mary Blair.

They finally gave Mickey back his personality after 60 years of being a neutered, one-note corportare logo.
People are so ingrained with the bland image he is today that they forget he used to have a wide range of emotions and actions.
(Steamboat Willie is about torturing animals for music, something that would fit perfectly in a Ren and Stimpy cartoon, so)

And there's so much heart in these shorts, especially the cultural ones set in different countries.

1280x720-z9e.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Love these. The Venice image is now my desktop at work. Thanks!

Daveeeeed

To me, Mickey’s first appearance is the best ever. Such an epic way to be introduced to the world. I really like that they have a different style of Mickey shorts now, he changes every few decades, so why not. The new shorts are universally loved and will only get more popular now. Just you wait, this will be a slam dunk and will hold up very very strongly with Star Wars Land. Yes, I love GMR, but I truly do believe that the replacement will be epic (unlike what happened to Horizons, Figment, etc.) so that will soften the burn. For the future, HWS now needs two C-ticket dark rides to round things up. Muppets & Toy Story anyone???
Love these. The Venice image is now my desktop at work. Thanks!
Love the idea!!!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

1280x720-z9e.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The backgrounds are a lot more impressive than the character design and animation. Why does Goofy look like a crack addict?

Timothy_Q

There's a pretty big difference there.
Of course.

The characters have been continually changing since they were created. And they're gonna keep on changing.

People keep saying new Mickey doesn't look like the "real" Mickey, or the "original" one. None of them do. If we're assuming the real one is the Plane Crazy Mickey. No other mickey since has looked like the original Mickey.

IMG_3977.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom