Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

ThemeParkJunkee

Just skimmed this thread. Frankly, it was the most disappointing announcement to me. I just cannot wrap my head around a trackless ride based on a toddler cartoon series I have never seen and will never see created by a television (small screen) animation studio. When I think physical sets for this, I keep picturing only background scenes. I will be watching for updates as they unfold but I doubt I could drag DH on this one. We both loved GMR. RIP.

Haymarket2008

This is more of a Star Wars post, but since we're on the subject of glasses / no-glasses:

What do you think, @marni1971? Is it artistic license that the guests here aren't wearing 3D glasses?

View attachment 216991

That concept art is for a scene with the AT-AT's that can be seen in construction photos. That will be a physically represented scene. I don't think there will be 3-D glasses used in the Star Wars attraction.

britain

That concept art is for a scene with the AT-AT's that can be seen in construction photos. That will be a physically represented scene. I don't think there will be 3-D glasses used in the Star Wars attraction.

I hope so, but I think there will also be the opportunity to add a lot of 3-D depth behind the walkers etc.

Flynnwriter

It's great to see something replacing the great movie ride which was DOA. However, using the flash animation, economic, rip-off Japanese style Mickey for their only signature mickey ride is pathetic. I can see a ride that shows all versions of Mickey, but the one they have chosen is downright ugly.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not sure you know what DOA means. GMR was extremely popular when new, and honestly continues to attract a very healthy line nowadays. And young audiences also are really into it, had a ridethrough with a bunch of teens who were loving it recently.

New Mickey shorts have a grotesque style, but I would not necessarily call it Japanese. It more closely resembles the style from many 90s Nicktoons such as Ren and Stimpy and Spongebob, as well as many amateur online flash animations.

F0ARXIJ.gif

d0bdf393e953b4c3c55aed920c7254aa.jpg

SpectroMan93

To be fair, GMR attracts a long line these days because there's not much else to do. Last time I rode, our group took advantage of some much needed nap time. The attraction has become very dated. Still, it's disheartening to see it go away, it was the heart of the park.

However, I think the new ride sounds amazing and the disgust over its animation style to be highly exaggerated. As is customary on this forum, rides must go through intense hostility before they are actually ridden. Seeing how genuinely excited they were to be talking about this attraction gives me a lot of optimism. Plus, I like the idea of Mickey being the centerpiece attraction.

Flynnwriter

I'm not sure you know what DOA means. GMR was extremely popular when new, and honestly continues to attract a very healthy line nowadays. And young audiences also are really into it, had a ridethrough with a bunch of teens who were loving it recently.

New Mickey shorts have a grotesque style, but I would not necessarily call it Japanese. It more closely resembles the style from many 90s Nicktoons such as Ren and Stimpy and Spongebob, as well as many amateur online flash animations.

F0ARXIJ.gif

Thanks for the condescending and inacurate reply to my posting. DOA is "dead on arrival" - and I'm sorry to tell you, gmr has never delivered high ratings from guests and never approaches its maximum through put from guests. I do agree with you that the Disney channel Mickey style is in the same pool as Ren and Stimpy.

MerlinTheGoat

Thanks for the condescending and inacurate reply to my posting. DOA is "dead on arrival" - and I'm sorry to tell you, gmr has never delivered high ratings from guests and never approaches its maximum through put from guests. I do agree with you that the Disney channel Mickey style is in the same pool as Ren and Stimpy.
Not condescending, simply unsure if you knew what DOA meant. It is highly inaccurate to label GMR as that, it was especially popular early on though of course the waits have evened out over the years (all rides do this regardless of how loved they are).

The ride is considered a classic by many, i've never heard anyone have a negative reaction to it getting off. It was popular when it opened, and every time I have ridden it guests in the cars have generally been really into the experience. Unless you get a particularly bad actor (though the gangster and cowboy characters are generally well cast in my experience).

HowAboutDisney

I love the great movie ride but the downfall is it has barely been cared for.. Even somewhat untouchable classic rides such as haunted Mansion and pirates have had bigger upgrades than GMR. No excuse why they couldn’t have added new scenes through out the ride. That’s why you Now are getting a whole new ride which at this point I’m sad about but I welcome.. On the plus side it is a Mickey ride and there could be no better replacement..

Mike S

F0ARXIJ.gif

And yet millions upon millions have watched the new shorts with a good number enjoying them if YouTube is anything to go by.

brb1006

Just skimmed this thread. Frankly, it was the most disappointing announcement to me. I just cannot wrap my head around a trackless ride based on a toddler cartoon series I have never seen and will never see created by a television (small screen) animation studio. When I think physical sets for this, I keep picturing only background scenes. I will be watching for updates as they unfold but I doubt I could drag DH on this one. We both loved GMR. RIP.
But the new Mickey cartoons appear to be more aimed at older Disney fans unless your counting the CGI Mickey series that is on Disney Jr.

brb1006

It's great to see something replacing the great movie ride which was DOA. However, using the flash animation, economic, rip-off Japanese style Mickey for their only signature mickey ride is pathetic. I can see a ride that shows all versions of Mickey, but the one they have chosen is downright ugly.
I never seen the new Mickey shorts looking anything Japanese style (Anime/Manga)

Kman101

F0ARXIJ.gif

I highly doubt you will see the grotesque parts on the ride. I don't like that either but I think they're going for more of "Get a Horse" ... it could actually be a fun and well done ride, design of the characters aside. Maybe the design of the characters will fit the ride and maybe it won't be so bad ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom