Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Hawg G

valid point but its a bad ride IMO its excuted very poorly. it has no story (that an average guest will get) and is amazingly short. it could have been far larger if they wanted...honestly considering its not an overlay or shoehorn ride its probably one of the biggest failures lately.

Especially since the increase in budget would have been fairly small to make it twice the length. It is Accountanteering at its finest. But it's clearly all they had to do. Had Universal opened some ride like that, with one AA at the end, and no story, people would just say how it's more of how Universal just can't compete, and why they don't go there. At AK, it gets 1 hour waits daily.

yensidtlaw1969

valid point but its a bad ride IMO its excuted very poorly. it has no story (that an average guest will get) and is amazingly short. it could have been far larger if they wanted...honestly considering its not an overlay or shoehorn ride its probably one of the biggest failures lately.
The story is that you're essentially going on an excursion into the wilds of the Bioluminescent Forest to explore its natural wonders. Given the structural framework of Animal Kingdom, that's about as far as any attraction story goes in that park. It's not a park about Disney Storytelling™ in the "traditional" sense, it's about creating the experience of going out into nature and building a connection with it through experience. This is similar to Kilimanjaro and even Flight of Passage - you're going on an excursion in an exotic, animal-rich environment to be awed by its beauty and moved by its splendor. The alternative to this storyline within AK is more like what we experience in Kali, Everest, and Dinosaur - we enter the natural world in ignorance of its order and through our experience we are humbled by its power.

You can totally debate the success of its execution - it's fair to say you think the Safari or FoP deliver better on this premise, and I tend to agree that the ride feels a bit like it's over before it's truly begun, though I do enjoy what's there - but the story isn't lacking by the standards of that park. Animal Kingdom is meant to mirror a real-world-type experience through its rides more than it is meant to tell a "story". That if Pandora was a real place and you went on an expedition into the forest, this is what it would be like. No one complains about the "lack of story" on Flight of Passage even though it's basically the exact same as Na'vi River Journey - go on a unique excursion through the otherworldly natural landscape of Pandora courtesy of Alpha Centauri Expeditions - but I think that simply comes down to it being generally regarded as a more satisfying attraction experience. It offers neither more nor better story, just a more exciting experience.

I am Timmy

The story is that you're essentially going on an excursion into the wilds of the Bioluminescent Forest to explore its natural wonders. Given the structural framework of Animal Kingdom, that's about as far as any attraction story goes in that park. It's not a park about Disney Storytelling™ in the "traditional" sense, it's about creating the experience of going out into nature and building a connection with it through experience. This is similar to Kilimanjaro and even Flight of Passage - you're going on an excursion in an exotic, animal-rich environment to be awed by its beauty and moved by its splendor. The alternative to this storyline within AK is more like what we experience in Kali, Everest, and Dinosaur - we enter the natural world in ignorance of its order and through our experience we are humbled by its power.

You can totally debate the success of its execution - it's fair to say you think the Safari or FoP deliver better on this premise, and I tend to agree that the ride feels a bit like it's over before it's truly begun, though I do enjoy what's there - but the story isn't lacking by the standards of that park. Animal Kingdom is meant to mirror a real-world-type experience through its rides more than it is meant to tell a "story". That if Pandora was a real place and you went on an expedition into the forest, this is what it would be like. No one complains about the "lack of story" on Flight of Passage even though it's basically the exact same as Na'vi River Journey - go on a unique excursion through the otherworldly natural landscape of Pandora courtesy of Alpha Centauri Expeditions - but I think that simply comes down to it being generally regarded as a more satisfying attraction experience. It offers neither more nor better story, just a more exciting experience.
Well said, you absolutely nailed it.

TJJohn12

Interesting coda - the “story” of Kilimanjaro Safaris was removed (by degrees) from 2007-2012, I would wager partially because the story of “excursion in an exotic, animal-rich environment to be awed by its beauty and moved by its splendor” was enough. Guests didn’t need the ‘Big Red’ throughline. The anti-poacher preshow and theming is still intact though.

kap91

This. The only issue with NRJ is its wait to ride length ratio. Whether changes should have been made given the designer's knowledge of how popular attractions are at WDW is up for debate I suppose - but I'm not terribly confident that much of that was in their control.

Imagineer777

Here's the entrance marquee for MMRR, I think it looks awesome and fits in nicely!

Surferboy567

All the stuff we have been seeing out of this ride looks great! I'm a big fan of the sign really plays into the whole "premiere of a short" storyline. Train looks cool aswell :)

Casper Gutman

Impressed. I think this is going to be a Super-E ticket for a lot of us.... It looks very immersive, cute, different, high-tech.... what else could we ask for?
A ride that wasn’t shoehorned into a space it doesn’t fit, replacing a great older attraction, simply because Disney could cheaply clone the new ride in more suitable settings in other parks?

Basically, if this was opening in DL’s Toontown two years before it opens at WDW rather then two years after, a lot more people would realize how out-of-place and economy-driven it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom