Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

EricsBiscuit

Technically, It would be impossible to see anything that wasn't an IP. If no one thought of it, it can't be seen. I really wish that the people that hate IP's so much could find a distinctively different word to describe what they mean. Everything, everything, everything ever created no matter who created it is an IP. Imagination (aka Dreamfinder and Figment, Small World and others are Disney IP's) where as Cinderella, Snow White, Pinocchio, Mary Poppins and many others are someone else's IP (creations) that Disney adapted and/or paid for. All the same thing. If Disney can put it's own brand/spin on it, and it can be entertaining then it should be there because frankly the theme parks would be might empty without them.
I understand that technicality but on the forums IP is used a lot to describe non theme park IPs that are used to build new rides, like Toy Story or Star Wars.

Goofyernmost

I understand that technicality but on the forums IP is used a lot to describe non theme park IPs that are used to build new rides, like Toy Story or Star Wars.
Yes, but like Mary Poppins and others Toy Story and Star Wars are now Disney properties. They own them and they are just as much Disney now as anything else that has been used. They take that original idea, that wasn't thought of in a staff meeting in the Disney building, and put their own Disney signature to it. Therefore, just like everything else in a the parks, every idea was the IP of some individual. Disney put it's brand on it and now it is Disney's. The pickiness of this topic is without any basis. If it is good, if it is entertaining and if it is in a Disney Park or Movie or any other form of a produced Disney product, then it is now a Disney IP. Ever since the awful day in December of 1966, when Walt died, there literally has never been a real, authentic Disney IP. Even when he was alive a large number of creations were from his staff. The staff was paid a salary for their ideas. What the heck is the difference between a good idea from a Disney payrolled individual and an outside individual that is paid for that idea? I will repeat, if it is good, if it is entertaining then it should be there.

Mike S

I'll take the bait. Not attacking anyone - I'm fully are that nothing at WDW is for everyone, so if you've done it and don't like it, no judgment. And I also fully agree that BOTH is always the better option - I miss the classics, while understanding the desire for new. But here's my defense of Belle:

Enchanted Tales with Belle is simply unlike any other attraction at WDW. There are meet-and-greets; there are shows; but there are so few places where a child gets to be part of the show (Jedi, MILF, Crush, any others?) But even those are different - Belle is neither a meet-and-greet nor a dark ride - it is actually something unique, which is hard to come by.

Is it for everyone? No, but nothing at Disney is truly for "everyone."

If my wife and I went as a couple, would we do it? No, but there are plenty of things we did as a couple that we can't and won't do with a toddler.

But my toddler has done it twice and absolutely loved it. I can only assume that those bashing it or not understanding its point don't have small children. Because the first time we did it, I was thinking it would be a terrible timesuck, but seeing my child enchanted (pun fully intended) changed my mind.

ETw/B is pure Disney magic. Animatronics, storytelling, meet-and-greet, theming, magic.
Pretty sure your toddler would’ve enjoyed the ride Tokyo is getting as well. And gasp you would as well in a way that’s not just for her sake.

I do know the feeling though. I’ve been to Disney twice with my baby cousin and it’s adorable watching her meet characters. However that doesn’t mean they need to waste space on it. She’s a baby. She didn’t care about the difference of just meeting Pluto in the middle of Main Street or meeting Daisy in a huge tent or any other character with a big indoor area.

Kman101

No reason they can't do it in the future. I know it's popular to bash Disney for not spending enough, and in a way it's justified because for a long time they didn't. But now they are investing heavily again. We can't expect them to do everything at once, they are a public company after all and would face a shareholder revolt if suddenly they were spending $30B in the parks all at once. But the amount of current investment is impressive.

What remains to be seen is if the investment continues past the 50th.. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes and continue a steady flow of investmemt into the future. And maybe sometime next decade that means bringing the TDL BatB dark ride to Fantasyland.

Or just keep it, as some people really love it, and add a dark ride in addition to ETwB.

You don't have to keep repeating some things. I'm aware they're spending a lot. And I know they can't do everything at once ;)

You kinda jump to their defense. It's ok. I'm not a negative nelly that needs to be reminded they're spending money. Yes, they are. I've acknowledged that numerous times and even given some kudos at times.

No harm in wishing they'd make different choices :) Doesn't negate what they're doing :)

Pretty sure your toddler would’ve enjoyed the ride Tokyo is getting as well. And gasp you would as well in a way that’s not just for her sake.

I do know the feeling though. I’ve been to Disney twice with my baby cousin and it’s adorable watching her meet characters. However that doesn’t mean they need to waste space on it. She’s a baby. She didn’t care about the difference of just meeting Pluto in the middle of Main Street or meeting Daisy in a huge tent or any other character with a big indoor area.

THIS!

mikejs78

Premium Member
You don't have to keep repeating some things. I'm aware they're spending a lot. And I know they can't do everything at once ;)

You kinda jump to their defense. It's ok. I'm not a negative nelly that needs to be reminded they're spending money. Yes, they are. I've acknowledged that numerous times and even given some kudos at times.
Not sure why you're getting on me about that - half of this forum is filled with people repeating themselves.

I also don't always jump to their defense. I do think that they neglected the parks for years and are now scrambling to make up for that. And I'm not crazy about what is happening in Epcot. But I do think the criticism often gets hysterical in that they can't do anything right (and that's not directed at you, btw, just a general comment), so I try to provide some balance.

ThistleMae

Not going to win any likes with this take, but just speaking purely for myself, The Great Movie Ride didn't age well for me. First rode it in 1989 when the park opened, and over the years, it sort of turned into the Jungle Cruise, where the ride was elevated or hampered by the talent of the chap serving as your on-board performer. If they are going through the motions and not having fun, it saps the energy out of the whole affair, and more often than not, it felt like the host got the assignment as a punishment. Also, after a couple of decades, the show scenes had become stale, and sorely needed major updates to stay relevant. What was the most recent film included? Alien from 1979 and Raiders of the Lost Ark from 1981? Last time I rode it, it felt like a creaking museum piece. Again...for me.
I can agree somewhat, and I would have preferred they update movies and make new scenes. But they didn't, oh well, moving on to new stuff.

ThistleMae

I'm as big a movie fan as they come...which might be part of the problem. I know rights issues, to say nothing of family audience sensibilities, likely prevented certain films from appearing on the ride. We weren't going to get a nod to Hitchcock's films for both reasons. But I wouldn't have minded to see certain sections swapped out for some iconic American films that could play to general audiences:

KANE-COVER-NEW.jpg

d41586-018-03790-5_15559628.jpg

8497894673.png

41J1QoYlDKL.jpg

Brando-580.jpg

VisEd-Lawrence-of-Arabia-Wide-Screen-camels.jpg

2015BladeRunner_Press_090315.jpg

magnificent-stevens_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqPezACPTH1vugYwVKwmN6tbFKG-9brL5jp8ciwJ_xLM0.jpg

Bambis-birth.jpg

exorcist-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v3.jpg

(okay, just kidding on the last one...beautiful shot, though)
Exactly! I'm a huge movie fan myself. My claim is I've seen every movie ever made, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not by much. It is Disney's Hollywood Studios....and I love that last shot too and I know the movie!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
168 pages so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Happened to be next to 2 CMs waiting for the monorail on Tuesday and they were discussing this. 1 of the guys said he was on the test & turn-up team (I think that's the phrase he used) and I piped in saying I'll be back in November for Wine/Dine half weekend and asked if it'll be open by then - he said yes.

Take that as you will...

Surferboy567

Anyone find it weird they STILL HAVEN'T EVEN MENTIONED MMRR even in this article detailing everything at HWS 30th? Granted they didn't mention Galaxy's Edge either but that's it's own beast.

TJJohn12

All they’d have to do is bulldoze the bathrooms in the back and they’d have access to a ginormous field back there.

Just for reference... Here's the back end of the MK, with outlines around the rough show buildings for HM, IASW, and UTS:JotLM:

And here they are laid over the available footprint of the BatB area of NFL:

There's just no room in the back end of the park for another dark ride of the scale you're talking. The footprint would eat LITERALLY the whole of BOG, the shared kitchen with Gaston's, and all of the Belle queue.

Why, I hear you say, did I not just hop the road or reroute it? Because that loop you see there in the entrance to the utilidors, where EVERY castmember who enters the back of the park for work is dropped off by a bus, and where almost every bit of food you eat in the park is delivered. The logistical nightmare of rerouting that road, or moving that entrance, is insane. It would require revising the ENTIRE infrastructure of the park - altering every workflow of the place. Moving that road is not just hard, it's nigh impossible. The fact they were able to grab so much space for NFL in the end is amazing - they've already pushed that portion of the park near breaking.

OK, back to MGM Studios tho...

RSoxNo1

150 on top of the MMRR capital cost? At least. Which is pushing it above what was spent for TSL.

Still cheaper than the Guardians project though.
How much of that is the cost of the GMR refurb and how much of it is the cost of say demo-ing Voyage of the Little Mermaid and putting MaMRR there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom