Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Riding MMRR at Disneyland made my opinions on the ride shift to a far more positive light.

I think it's fantastic. Not absolutely perfect, but very, very good.

It feels more at home in a revitalized Toontown than a replacement for what was one of the greatest rides ever built, however. I believe that is why I was never on board with Orlando's which would have remained elite with an update, and I fully understand the pain now of losing rides like Figment and WoM.

Purduevian

I like the one in DHS, I was a huge fan of the GMR until the CMs on the ride seemed to be going through the motions, I always loved the end hosted by the great Robert Osbourne. I would have preferred the GMR to remain and the CMs being coached to show more emotion and interraction, but, MMRR is still fun.
I am looking forward to seeing it in DL mind you.
This could be a rumor, but I thought the reason for this was so Disney could keep paying them base CM prices and not as union actors (like the citizens of Hollywood).

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
This could be a rumor, but I thought the reason for this was so Disney could keep paying them base CM prices and not as union actors (like the citizens of Hollywood).
I could see that line of thinking from a financial perspective (albeit effed morally), but they had a lucrative partnership with Turner Classic Movies that TCM was more than eager to continue, and Disneyland Park continues to operate the lesser in scale Submarine Voyage and Storybook Land Canal Boats

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but they shouldn't have been cheap and updated the Great Movie Ride. Since Frozen: Ever After's complete gutting only cost $95M, I imagine just show improvements, a new script, and swapping out 2 or 3 scenes could've been done for significantly less.

Putting Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in Animation Courtyard just like it was pure expansion at Disneyland Park just made too much sense, and I think GMR would still work better as the park's central thematic tie-in. HWS is the most overcrowded theme park in the US and unfortunately a thematic mess despite its excellent, top-heavy ride roster.

Stupido

It's a solid 5/10 attraction. It's okay when you ride it, but utterly forgettable after you've finished.

The crack and the smoke in the pre screen queue was the highlight.

I was in Hollywood Studios on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Both times, I heard at least 10 different groups of people singing 'Nothing Can Stop Us Now' all over the park: coming out of MMRR, in queues, waiting for their food, while they waiting for Fantasmic to start. The attraction resonates with people a lot more than these boards likes to admit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was in Hollywood Studios on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Both times, I heard at least 10 different groups of people singing 'Nothing Can Stop Us Now' all over the park: coming out of MMRR, in queues, waiting for their food, while they waiting for Fantasmic to start. The attraction resonates with people a lot more than these boards likes to admit.
The person you're responding to has established themself to be clearly at odds with the sentiment of the rest of these forums on most matters.

mickEblu

I can see why DHS/ GMR fans may be disappointed. It’s a solid addition to Toontown though even if it’s missing a certain je ne sais quoi. Or maybe I do know what it is- it needs more physical set pieces, props, AAs etc.

If every scene felt more like the big city scene I think it would be universally viewed as a hit.

Brer Oswald

The song is an ear worm. It’s easily the most memorable thing about the attraction.

Mireille

Premium Member
Until they start making trackless rides with trackless scenery that can move around and take up space, it will just continue to feel like I'm going through a big warehouse with interesting things happening on screens at the edges. I don't think the range of movement for the ride vehicles makes up for the emptiness, but if they could put in scenery or animatronics that also move, still allowing free movement of the ride vehicle, like... Belle and the Beast dancing around the room while you orbit around them, maybe? I think they could do scenery at least, range-free animatronics would probably need some advancements and investment, but geez, wouldn't that be something to see? Of course it would also introduce the probability it would break down every 45 minutes...

MagicHappens1971

Until they start making trackless rides with trackless scenery that can move around and take up space, it will just continue to feel like I'm going through a big warehouse with interesting things happening on screens at the edges. I don't think the range of movement for the ride vehicles makes up for the emptiness, but if they could put in scenery or animatronics that also move, still allowing free movement of the ride vehicle, like... Belle and the Beast dancing around the room while you orbit around them, maybe? I think they could do scenery at least, range-free animatronics would probably need some advancements and investment, but geez, wouldn't that be something to see? Of course it would also introduce the probability it would break down every 45 minutes...
Pooh's Honey Hunt & Rise of the Resistance are good example of trackless rides in my opinion.

Mireille

Premium Member
Pooh's Honey Hunt & Rise of the Resistance are good example of trackless rides in my opinion.
Ok, yeah, Rise does it pretty well, but it does so many things I didn't even think of it. Hunny Hunt is the one in Tokyo, right? I've never been and for some reason never watched a ride through.

MagicHappens1971

Ok, yeah, Rise does it pretty well, but it does so many things I didn't even think of it. Hunny Hunt is the one in Tokyo, right? I've never been and for some reason never watched a ride through.
Yes, I believe either Tokyo or Hong Kong, I can’t remember which park. I’ve only seen the ride through on YouTube, but it looks great.

mickEblu

I will say MMRR makes me appreciate ROTR more. ROTR doesn’t feel nearly as warehouse-y. Perhaps a bit sterile and monochrome but ROTR does a good job of mixing it up with some more intimate scenes in smaller spaces.

mickEblu

Things I wanted out of Galaxies Edge and didn’t get:

Speed
Creatures
Greenery
Water
BBQ
Dinner Show
Jedi v Sith / Lightsaber duels

mickEblu

A lot of elements of this list were created and then locked behind the galactic starcruiser paywall

Definitely a poor decision.

We have one (show) lightsaber in the whole land and it’s the least effective effect on ROTR. I think that room would be better if they just flickered the lights, kept us in complete darkness and then lets us hear Rens voice with a lightsaber sound effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom