Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

waltography

you like how Goofy looks? and you can say that with a straight face??
I don't, but I don't watch the shorts for him. 😂 I love the art direction of the rest of the Fab Five though, along with Pluto. Goofy's a nice contrast to their relatively clean-cut style, even if he's a hot mess. There's no chance we'll see him walking around in the parks like that though, so I think we're safe. ;)

J4546

I think is odd that Mickey is basically what made Disney, they sell Mickey ear headbands by the millions, and yet toon town is always the worst part of any park that has it. Youd think theyd really go big with a major Toontown area but theyre always mediocre. MMRR will take DL toontown to another level, Im all for it.

britain

there is nothing wrong with how mickey used to be and is still used for meet and greets and when you see him around the park. that design is better than the "ren" version of him on tv. It's science. It's a fact
Sure, that’s why old Mickey is being used for MMRR. And that’s why when it was time to churn out new cartoons for Disney+, they realized the Ren Mickey was an awful YouTube mistake that nobody likes and they’re reverting back to classic Mickey.

Facts, all facts.

britain

mickey mouse troll GIF

lazyboy97o

Sure, that’s why old Mickey is being used for MMRR. And that’s why when it was time to churn out new cartoons for Disney+, they realized the Ren Mickey was an awful YouTube mistake that nobody likes and they’re reverting back to classic Mickey.

Facts, all facts.
Then can you explain the merchandise?

waltography

I rest my case.
Nice. Happy New Year. :)

Then can you explain the merchandise?
I don't think they're saying all former iterations of Mickey Mouse are obsolete. The 1939(ish? not great with my timeline) iteration of Mickey has a classic Americana appeal that screams nostalgia, which is what the parks peddle. I love that Mickey on classic Disneyland gear.

At the same time, I'd also love to see the new Mickey on merch too, which it seems they've started doing with the 2021 branded stuff. (I personally don't buy year-branded items though, so I'm holding out for the new Mickey head/style on some classic designs.)

Professortango1

I will say the newer cartoons are a blast and Mickey has a fun and interesting character now. Old Mickey was fine for the Depression Era where we wanted optimistic childlike wonder, but he's become more and more sedated and watered down. By redesigning the fab 5, it allowed them to adjust these characters for the first time in decades and appeal to modern audiences rather than just nostalgia.

yensidtlaw1969

Jumping into this thread, my instinct previously had been to be confused by the size of the DL Runaway Railway building - so I busted out Google Earth and Photoshop, and now I'm downright PERPLEXED.

In Blue is the WDW Runaway Railway building, including the Chinese Theatre, laid out to scale over the DL Toontown site. The Red Rectangle is the approximate plot of the building they're constructing. HUH???:

DL Runaway Railway Plot Layout.jpg

Are they secretly building TWO of these?? They couldn't possibly be using the whole building for Runaway Railway. The WDW building is slightly wider than the new DL building, but for the DL building to be SOOOO much longer makes no practical sense for the ride. Unless it's magically gonna be, like, twice as long as the original, which, come on.

Weren't there originally offices on that site? Perhaps half of this building will be used to house new ones. I could see the layout being squeezed down to take up half of the new building with the rest of it being used for new offices.

yensidtlaw1969

They will most likely have a different layout but same scenes. The permits long ago seem to indicate the building is two stories. So offices most likely will be on the second floor
Two stories in terms of height, or in terms of levels? Because Runaway Railway at WDW is also at least 2 stories tall in terms of height, if for no other reason than the Great Movie Ride needed the height for its showscenes and Railway uses that. But outside of any catwalks in the ceiling there's only one level to the building.

I'd imagine the use of vertical space will carry over to Disneyland, so I wouldn't suspect offices to be built on top of the ride, unless it were 2 levels but 3 stories. Building offices next door in the same structure seems very possible, though, since the building is almost twice as long as it needs for the ride.

yensidtlaw1969

‘Twould be a major PotC-style operational win if they were.
Could you imagine? After seeing them build a 3rd track at WDW's Toy Story Mania I almost feel like I can't discount it. Though obviously Runaway Railway is a very different kind of attraction and not so easily duplicated.

Personally I think funds would be better spent on a new attraction rather than adding capacity to existing ones in basically all cases - imagine if instead of building The Haunted Mansion they simply built a second Pirates to double its capacity? Not that I really think they're doing that with Railway, but still.

My impression of Railway so far has been that it eats guests pretty quickly - or is its capacity less than it seems to be?

lazyboy97o

What do you mean by the merchandise? I see merchandise around with the new designs and old designs.
There are some pieces, the number having been reduced, and they don’t sell as well. Most merchandise is older designs. If the new look is as popular as you claim then why do people prefer old designs when they buy merchandise?
Two stories in terms of height, or in terms of levels? Because Runaway Railway at WDW is also at least 2 stories tall in terms of height, if for no other reason than the Great Movie Ride needed the height for its showscenes and Railway uses that. But outside of any catwalks in the ceiling there's only one level to the building.

I'd imagine the use of vertical space will carry over to Disneyland, so I wouldn't suspect offices to be built on top of the ride, unless it were 2 levels but 3 stories. Building offices next door in the same structure seems very possible, though, since the building is almost twice as long as it needs for the ride.
Stories as a a height is not really a thing and would not be classified on a permit. The building is taller than the 30’ height which many would consider about 3 stories but not really taller than what is needed for a show space. Having an area for backstage functions makes the most sense for logistics and cost. A number of different uses could also take advantage of a greater ceiling height, particularly on the ground floor.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Stories as a a height is not really a thing and would not be classified on a permit. The building is taller than the 30’ height which many would consider about 3 stories but not really taller than what is needed for a show space. Having an area for backstage functions makes the most sense for logistics and cost. A number of different uses could also take advantage of a greater ceiling height, particularly on the ground floor.
That's kind of why I was asking - I wasn't sure that a game of telephone wasn't happening with the info from the permit, since I haven't seen it. Permits don't use stories as height, but people sure do. The suggestion that offices might be placed on top of the Runaway Railway building could imply perhaps a 40' tall building to accomodate both the ride and the office level, which would be very tall against the Toontown Skyline. Not to mention that one that tall AND this wide would be monumental. Are they really going that big with this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom