Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
That could well be the Lightning Lane line, which over the past three days seemed much more likely to be spilling out of attraction entrances than standby. We don't have the context to tell from this photo alone.
No, but I captured the photo from the FB video mentioned above and he clearly states that it is the standby line. He then walks up to the LL entrance to show people going in.

Perhaps I should have been more clear where I grabbed the image from and gave more context. I guess I figured that if I post a photo and make a claim about it, that is what it is. Clearly everything is assumed to be falsified/wrongly stated here by default. My apologies.

(Edited to give more context)

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

No, but I captured the photo from the FB video mentioned above and he clearly states that it is the standby line. He then walks up to the LL entrance to show people going in.

Perhaps I should have been more clear where I grabbed the image from and gave more context. I guess I figured that if I post a photo and make a claim about it, that is what it is. Clearly everything is assumed to be falsified/wrongly stated here by default. My apologies.

(Edited to give more context)
You could have just said the first part without the passive aggression at the end, but ok. You do you.

Consumer

It's incredible to remember a time when the Parks community was positively sure Toontown was on the verge of being Old Yeller'd. Right up until this thread came along.
Honestly I still think it should be. Whether it be a Fantasyland expansion, Discovery Bay, or whatever else, I do believe this space could be more efficient in its use.
Screenshot 2024-01-29 190352.png

TP2000

Honestly I still think it should be. Whether it be a Fantasyland expansion, Discovery Bay, or whatever else, I do believe this space could be more efficient in its use.
View attachment 765802

Eh, now that they've got Runaway Railway back there, and purchased the long-term protection plan from Monsanto for the astroturf around Walt's Dreaming Tree, I don't think Toontown is going anywhere.

The only thought I have is that they seemed to have done a really bad job of marketing and publicizing Runaway Railway. This past summer my friends and family and various out of towners had no idea it existed. I never saw any billboards for it around San Diego's tourist areas, in the usual spots where Disneyland billboards have always been in the past (the 5 freeway across from the old Mission Bay Cadillac dealership, the freeway exits around Lindbergh field, the Pacific Beach area, etc.). Were there even TV commercials? I don't watch the networks any more except for the local news once in awhile, but I never got any Runaway Railway ads on YouTube.

Using your photo as inspiration, I would remind us all that there's still a plenty big plot of land to add two lands to the park with Toontown in place;

The RED area on the map below, north of Fantasyland/Star Wars Land is 12 acres.

Even more interestingly, the BLUE area across Disneyland Drive is an additional 13 acres. That blue area is currently CM surface parking and a few cheap support buildings that popped up there over the past 15 years. A bridge/tunnel or combination of both could open the 13 acres in the blue area up to the 12 acres of the red area for a total of 25 acres of park expansion north of Disneyland's existing boundary.

Or at the very least, the blue area gives them 12 acres of land to easily work with to replace the old warehouses and support facilities that are in the red area.

Check Back In 2035.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Eh, now that they've got Runaway Railway back there, and purchased the long-term protection plan from Monsanto for the astroturf around Walt's Dreaming Tree, I don't think Toontown is going anywhere.

The only thought I have is that they seemed to have done a really bad job of marketing and publicizing Runaway Railway. This past summer my friends and family and various out of towners had no idea it existed. I never saw any billboards for it around San Diego's tourist areas, in the usual spots where Disneyland billboards have always been in the past (the 5 freeway across from the old Mission Bay Cadillac dealership, the freeway exits around Lindbergh field, the Pacific Beach area, etc.). Were there even TV commercials? I don't watch the networks any more except for the local news once in awhile, but I never got any Runaway Railway ads on YouTube.

Using your photo as inspiration, I would remind us all that there's still a plenty big plot of land to add two lands to the park with Toontown in place;

The RED area on the map below, north of Fantasyland/Star Wars Land is 12 acres.

Even more interestingly, the BLUE area across Disneyland Drive is an additional 13 acres. That blue area is currently CM surface parking and a few cheap support buildings that popped up there over the past 15 years. A bridge/tunnel or combination of both could open the 13 acres in the blue area up to the 12 acres of the red area for a total of 25 acres of park expansion north of Disneyland's existing boundary.

Or at the very least, the blue area gives them 12 acres of land to easily work with to replace the old warehouses and support facilities that are in the red area.

View attachment 765803
You realize you just got rid of a whole lot of CM parking in both those plots of land. Just saying....

I'm sure that is usable land that is part of future plans. But I would think they would want to use other plots of land first, ie the ones already marked for DisneylandForward.

TP2000

You realize you just got rid of a whole lot of CM parking in both those plots of land. Just saying....

There's no CM parking in the red area.

The blue area has some surface CM parking, but that can be easily replaced. It's surface parking; it can be replaced anywhere in the Resort district as CM's park in satellite lots and are bussed in routinely.

Only slightly related, I miss the kid who was on here a decade or so ago who was adamant with us that Tomorrowland could not be expanded for Star Wars Land because there was important things "backstage" such as a very busy CM break room behind Innoventions that had multiple vending machines and a big TV on the wall playing Judge Judy.

He disappeared when the plans for Star Wars morphed from a Tomorrowland redo in 2014 (You're safe for now, Judge Judy) to a full land expansion that rerouted the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad, tore down large CM facilities backstage and moved them off property, and moved the Circle D ranch to Norco with the horses now commuting in daily via the 91 Freeway to work a shift on Main Street. 🤣

mickEblu

The blue area has some surface CM parking, but that can be easily replaced. It's surface parking; it can be replaced anywhere in the Resort district as CM's park in satellite lots and are bussed in routinely.

Only slightly related, I miss the kid who was on here a decade or so ago who was adamant with us that Tomorrowland could not be expanded for Star Wars Land because there was important things "backstage" such as a very busy CM break room behind Innoventions that had multiple vending machines and a big TV on the wall playing Judge Judy.

He disappeared when the plans for Star Wars morphed from a Tomorrowland redo in 2014 (You're safe for now, Judge Judy) to a full land expansion that rerouted the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad, tore down large CM facilities backstage and moved them off property, and moved the Circle D ranch to Norco with the horses now commuting in daily via the 91 Freeway to work a shift on Main Street. 🤣

lol that wasn’t a kid. That was oldmousketeer

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Sorry, you're right I was mixing up the warehouse with the TDA parking structure to its right. Anyways I've always said though a majority of that backstage area can and should be moved off-site, including the TDA building itself.

D.Silentu

Food for thought, in another thread Truecoat seems to imply that Disneyland's Avatar expansion will go in the rectangular portion of your red outline.

Last edited:

J4546

i dont get the hate on tt, with the addition of mmrr and the refresh of the rest of the land and houses, its a great colorful place with 3 fun rides and lots to walk around and see, esp if your a kid. imo. sucks there isnt one in FL

mickEblu

I’m reminded that nothing we get in a Disneyland Forward will be better than the West side of Disneyland. Not to say more isn’t welcome but it’s good to temper expectations. It would be silly not to after GE, Avengers Campus and MMRR.

Here’s the best 5 attractions Disney has done worldwide in the last 20 years in no particular order. Interesting that not one Tokyo/ OLC ride make the list.

1. Radiator Springs Racers
2. Mystic Manor
3. Avatar: Flight of Passage
4. POTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure
5. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Honorable Mention: Cosmic Rewind

Do we think that DL Forward, when it’s all said and done if and when it happens in phased roll outs will net us two attractions of this caliber? I’d consider that a Win. My vote would be for a version of Cosmic Rewind with more show scenes and a ride using Shanghai’s ride system with the same scope/scale. No more trackless rides please.

I’d really love for them to give us something with intertwining and layered attractions again like TL 67, Storybookland and the ROA. I think I’d be more excited if they announced a TL inspired by TL 67 than whatever single IP land might come with DL Forward every decade. The current formula consisting of one or more of the following: singe IP, trackless ride, large land with few rides, lack of kinetic energy is getting old.

TP2000

Food for thought, in another thread Truecoat seems to imply that Disneyland's Avatar expansion will go in the rectangular portion of your red outline.

Seems like a good place to put it, as I can't figure out how they'd explain it thematically in DCA. Tucked way in the back, where you have to really want to go see it to get there.

Of course, I'd love to have just one (1) kid show up at my door on Halloween dressed as a blue alien before they go all in on a Billion dollar Avatarland, but that's just me.

Consumer

I’m reminded that nothing we get in a Disneyland Forward will be better than the West side of Disneyland. Not to say more isn’t welcome but it’s good to temper expectations. It would be silly not to after GE, Avengers Campus and MMRR.

Here’s the best 5 attractions Disney has done worldwide in the last 20 years in no particular order. Interesting that not one Tokyo/ OLC ride make the list.

1. Radiator Springs Racers
2. Mystic Manor
3. Avatar: Flight of Passage
4. POTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure
5. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Honorable Mention: Cosmic Rewind

Do we think that DL Forward, when it’s all said and done if and when it happens in phased roll outs will net us two attractions of this caliber? I’d consider that a Win. My vote would be for a version of Cosmic Rewind with more show scenes and a ride using Shanghai’s ride system with the same scope/scale. No more trackless rides please.

I’d really love for them to give us something with intertwining and layered attractions again like TL 67, Storybookland and the ROA. I think I’d be more excited if they announced a TL inspired by TL 67 than whatever single IP land might come with DL Forward every decade. The current formula consisting of one or more of the following: singe IP, trackless ride, large land with few rides, lack of kinetic energy is getting old.
Grizzly Gulch belongs on that list. Its gags are right out of a Marc Davis sketchbook.
1706579024065.png

mickEblu

Grizzly Gulch belongs on that list. Its gags are right out of a Marc Davis sketchbook.
View attachment 765810

Thought if it. Would have made my Top 10 for sure. Trying to be as objective as possible. I’m sure I’d enjoy Cosmic Rewind and Grizzly Gulch more than a few of those attractions on that TOP 5. Ultimately it’s a less good Thunder Mountain and that kind of works against it from getting on a list like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom