Michael Eisner

sunya

Re: Re: Eisner

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
Ummmm Roy clearly stated he has no interest in being CEO. He has a few names up his sleeve (The solution you wanted)!

And Eisner made more than a few bad choices! If every sequel was considered a bad choice (IMO very true) then we already have about fifty bad choices! :rolleyes:

I believe the sequels were Roy's department! Fantasia 2000 to name just one.

sunya

Eisner

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
And then came the "Disney Decade" :animwink: So in a strange and funny way this is the solution!

Michael Eisner's term is ending soon anyway and by then there should be a plan in place that will benefit Disney and stockholders. All of the people who are out there bashing Eisner should stop to think of the harm that they are doing to the Disney name and stock and try a little patience. Eisner leaving tomorrow will not benefit anyone because there is no one to take over that can fill his shoes at the moment.

Legacy

Originally Posted By sunya-
The concept behind Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 was something that Walt himself wanted to form into a series. I remember reading that he wanted one or two new segments created every year so it would be a continually evolving idea. If it wasn't for the initial poor reception (because the movie was, and still is, ahead of its time) we would probably have about 20 Fantasias by now.

Roy being behind Fantasia 2000 (as with his being behind the Salvador Dali short) are, in a way, his tributes to his uncle's desires. The big difference between 2000 and say... Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure, is that 2000 is a tribute were as L&T is a desperate attempt to make money off of a classic. Walt (I am pretty sure) would be perfectly content with a happily ever after, were as Eisner is not.

Disneyland1970

Re: Eisner

Originally posted by sunya
Michael Eisner's term is ending soon anyway and by then there should be a plan in place that will benefit Disney and stockholders. All of the people who are out there bashing Eisner should stop to think of the harm that they are doing to the Disney name and stock and try a little patience. Eisner leaving tomorrow will not benefit anyone because there is no one to take over that can fill his shoes at the moment.

First let me say Welcome!

I'm sorry but you should have been here about 2 months ago, all of this Eisner stuff has been covered and covered and covered! Did I say it was covered?

IMAO the bringing up of park conditions or the poor quality of the recent movies is not bashing, I call it "Customer Feedback!"
Disney spends millions of dollars on gathering data from the customers, as a stockholder I am just trying to save a little money.

:D

Legacy

Originally Posted By Erika-
Blasphemy! I would not put Fantasia 2000 in the same category as the other sequels. Same goes for Toy Story 2.

I blaspheme not!!! :lookaroun

Toy Story 2 isn't REALLY a Disney sequel... Pixar can get away with a sequel here and there considering there stories are original and not based on classic fairy tales.

Erika

Originally posted by Legacy

I blaspheme not!!! :lookaroun

Toy Story 2 isn't REALLY a Disney sequel... Pixar can get away with a sequel here and there considering there stories are original and not based on classic fairy tales. [/B]

I threw in Toy Story as an afterthought- and you and I agree about Fantasia 2000. ;) Sunya's post lumped it in with the cheapie sequels I despise and that is where I cried blasphemy :p

DisneyFan 2000

Re: Re: Re: Eisner

Originally posted by sunya

1. First off all Roy got a budget to work with and also got direct orders from the dictator. Not everything was his call! Sure, he produced some flops but I doubt he encouraged sequels.

2. Fantasia 2000 is anything but cheap as the other sequels! The movie uses a similar concept but at the same time totaly different!

Dayma

First off all Roy got a budget to work with and also got direct orders from the dictator. Not everything was his call! Sure, he produced some flops but I doubt he encouraged sequels.

Pretty vague info when none of us actually have the budgets or know what Roy was thinking.

I just need published info before I can make a decision either way....

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by blackride
Pretty vague info when none of us actually have the budgets or know what Roy was thinking.

I just need published info before I can make a decision either way....

I was sharing my thoughts... I never stated any of the above was confirmed by Roy. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that!

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
It'll be interesting to see what happens at the board meeting.

Ever since the shareholder's meeting, whenever I think of Eisner, I can't help thinking of that Seinfeld episode in which George gets fired but decides he's going to just keep showing up.:lol:

eclipseSD

Many people just love to throw around Eisner's name with all of Disney's great achievements in the 1980's and 90's, when in fact, he was only a partner in it until 1994.

When Frank Wells and Michael Eisner controlled the company from 1984-1994, here is a little bit of what was accomplished at Disney:

Disney MGM Studios
Touchstone Pictures
Grand Floridian Resort
Splash Mountain
Star Tours
The Little Mermaid
Pleasure Island
Typhoon Lagoon
Boardwalk/Epcot Resort Area
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Disneyland Paris
Fantasmic!
Toontown
Miramax
The Lion King
Tower of Terror
Animal Kingdom (Development)

After Wells died, the "Disney Decade" was fundamentally changed (for what most think is the worse).

Under Eisner's reign there were many hits and misses:

Disney Cruise Line
Disney's California Adventure
Mission: Space
Disney Studios Paris
Pixar
Animal Kingdom (final product)
Capital Cities/ABC
Indiana Jones
Blizzard Beach

The greatness now lay in Asia, where the Oriental Land Company continues to stun everyone with their amazing achievements at DisneySea.

It appears that Eisner can do good things when he is kept in check and others are allowed input, but when he controls everything himself, the glass is bound to be half empty and half full.

Blair

Eisner has his time and place where his creative ideas were a very critical part of Disney's success...

HOWEVER his ideas about management and branding in recent years have become so unpalatable that it is slowly killing the creative heart and soul of the company. Eisner had his glory days, but they are now long past. It's time for him to leave and let someone in with fresh ideas and positive energy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom