MGM's Great Movie Ride

JCrane

Original Poster
I keep coming across all sorts of different rumours regarding the Great Movie Ride and it's potential closure...can anybody elaborate on this?

There's been a mix of rumours including Disney parting ways with MGM or the new Scorcerer's hat blocking the view of the Chinese Thearte as well as Disney introducing something similar to Universal's Spiderman thrill-ride...

I guess I'm just looking for some clarification...does anyone know anything about it? It'd be such a shame as, althoigh it's not the biggest thrill Disney has to offer, GMR is almost an institution and I look forward to riding it on each visit.

JCrane

Original Poster
I just come across a few bits on here (as you would on a rumour forum!) but, like you, would be devestated for it to close completely.

Granted, it could maybe you a little upgrading...just think of the films that could be added...but all in all, the last thing I'd want is for it to be replaced...

Bimmy56

I believe that I read that they just did a slight update on the final movie a few months ago - I seems like they would not bother if they were going to close it.

DWSD

I don't think it's going to close any time soon! like bimmy said they been updateing the film with recent movies. You guys have not been reading the thread "Hat at MGM" have you? that thread is 5 years old.

JCrane

Original Poster
No, no...I've come across all sorts of little rumours around these threads.

I see you're point about the movie editing at the end. Personally, I can only imagine updating the final movie scene at the end of the ride would be the very least, and cheapest, move to make. The fact that they've done it still doesn't curb my fears of closure. A real show of confidence would be the re-fresh the entire ride...well, what I mean to say is add one, two, three more recent sets for a younger generation...then I'd probably beleive that GMR is sticking around!

Do you guys not agree?

WeLComeHomE OKW

JCrane said:
I keep coming across all sorts of different rumours regarding the Great Movie Ride and it's potential closure...can anybody elaborate on this?

There's been a mix of rumours including Disney parting ways with MGM or the new Scorcerer's hat blocking the view of the Chinese Thearte as well as Disney introducing something similar to Universal's Spiderman thrill-ride...

I guess I'm just looking for some clarification...does anyone know anything about it? It'd be such a shame as, althoigh it's not the biggest thrill Disney has to offer, GMR is almost an institution and I look forward to riding it on each visit.
Well...the examples you gave were pretty random. Sony purchased MGM and now has the rights to its movies...i dont think this changes anything, other then now Disney pays Sony, so it can use its movies, instead of paying MGM. The Sorcerers Hat has nothing to do with the Great Movie Ride, and was just a way to give MGM a fancy new symbol. (granted...now its not that new anymore). And rumors about Disney introducing anything like Universal's Spiderman are all dreams that in no way have been clarified. EVER. i think harry potter has more clarification than that.

So, other then a small update to the film at the end...nothing will be changing anytime soon. Disney has their sights on other things right now, and the Great Movie Ride still has many more years before WDI thinks about updating it.

bhg469

I have always been a fan of the ride but i feel that a few scenes could go, mainly the tarzan one. It really neglects all the good movies that have come out since the ride was built. Changing the end movie doesn't do enough for me.

brich

bhg469 said:
I have always been a fan of the ride but i feel that a few scenes could go, mainly the tarzan one. It really neglects all the good movies that have come out since the ride was built. Changing the end movie doesn't do enough for me.
But isn't this ride based on nostagia of movies passed? The way movies were and how they progressed? Why update scenes? The updating or rather, the way they show the progression since is with the end movie. Technology has come a long way in the past few years so I'm in favor of updating the quality of the end movie as well as adding the good movies that have come out since the ride was built to the end movie... My 2 cents...:D

Valawen9

bhg469 said:

Yeah I'm not crazy about the Tarzan scene.
My favorites are the gangster scene and the Alien scene. :)

JCrane

Original Poster
I agree with Brich in that the whole focus of GMR is the nostalgic feel of the movies and the end film shows the progression of cinematic history so the recent update would be most welcome...

But when you have classic (not all in my opinion!) MGM films and performances such The Graduate, Poltergeist, Mannequin, Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, Thelma & Louise, Showgirls (only kidding!), The Usual Suspects, ...plus the Bond series, surely there's room for one or two new additons to freshen things up?

DisneyWales

Thats a vaild point, it's not so much a look at classic or great films, but more Genre Defining films, films that have had a major impact or influence on culture, technology or story telling.

While I would like to see some more updates done, nothing to extensive (the whole aliens scene is so old looking for some reason).

Its a tribute to cinema, not a thrill ride tour de force, if they were just random films that have done well in the boxoffice I don't think it would all flow together very well. Every film chosen was a big step forward in cinema history....

JCrane

Original Poster
Yes, of course any new entry in to the ride should merit it's inclusion but I could see a Rocky scene or even a Silence of the Lambs sequence...with the famous ph-ph-ph-ph-ph-ph speech...nothing to crazy!!

DisneySam

I really don't think they would get rid of the Great Movie Ride [at least I hope not! :lookaroun I would be one angry DS fan!] I am like most of you though I think they can update a couple of the scenes. I love the Wizard of Oz, Gangster, of course Casa Blanca and Indiana Jones scenes.

bhg469

Valawen9 said:
Yeah I'm not crazy about the Tarzan scene.
My favorites are the gangster scene and the Alien scene. :)

Totally agree, there are plenty of "classic" movies that deserve to be there, nothing wrong with swapping thme out to keep the ride fresh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom