MGM STudio filiming

Blizz

To correct an earlier post The Newsies was never shot at Walt Disney World, the film did not have a Florida unit, it was all in California.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0104990/locations Doesn't say anything about ORlando Although it is interesting that portions were shot at Universal

It was shot on the backlot of Universal Studios Hollywood. Disney shoots many of its movies on lots owned by Universal, Columbia/Tri-Star, etc...
Universal Hollywood might have been picked for its various New York Street type sets and various stages where smaller street sets could be built.

trendicoff

Blizz thank you soooo much for opening everyone's eyes and mentioning the one thing everyone had been forgetting -- ANIMATION!!

I mean that's what Disney is really known for and the largest total number of space backstage is devoted to Animation buildings (although now defunct due to relocations and cutbacks). I witnessed many a Disney film have work done in that animation building (although for some reason it was mostly background art) and whether the public could see it or not, it was happening. Yes the Studios have been making movies since they opened and before, and also yes some things are staged for guests becasue its just not a good work environment to have uncontrolled guests running all over the place.

Although there are no animators there anymore, if you ever get the chance, go backstage and see where they worked. Much of their work still hangs in the halls (or on the walls themselves).

sillykid

To correct an earlier post The Newsies was never shot at Walt Disney World, the film did not have a Florida unit, it was all in California.

It was shot on the backlot of Universal Studios Hollywood. Disney shoots many of its movies on lots owned by Universal, Columbia/Tri-Star, etc...
Universal Hollywood might have been picked for its various New York Street type sets and various stages where smaller street sets could be built.

Yes they do shoot many films at Universal. National Treasure 2 is being wrapped up on the sound stages at Universal Hollywood right now.

Blizz

Yes they do shoot many films at Universal. National Treasure 2 is being wrapped up on the sound stages at Universal Hollywood right now.

They also have a Florida unit that is shooting down in Key West right now (they wrap soon if they havn't already, they were scheduled to shoot starting the last week of May)

Thats the thing that most people dont get who are not in the business, just because a stage or location is owned by a competing studio doesnt mean that they wont shoot there. Hollywood stages run 99% full all year, so when they can find a stage open, they shoot there.

trendicoff said:
Blizz thank you soooo much for opening everyone's eyes and mentioning the one thing everyone had been forgetting -- ANIMATION!!

It is a really cool building inside. I went in when I was working on my last show over at the Studios.

They did a ton of major work, including almost all work on Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear, and tons of other films.

I have had the joy of working on a film with some of the former Disney animators and their stories are amazing.

darthjohnny

...and never was.

With the exception of the New MMC, Sheena, and a TV-movie with the dad from Seventh Heaven, it never was a "working" studio. It was all make believe - including the "upcoming music video" you used to see them "filming" on the backlot tour (after the tram passed by they reset the actors and did it again). Or the courtroom sets "You'll be sure you see on a screen near you soon!"

AEfx

No, there was always a ton of stuff going on at the Disney-MGM Studios.

The animation studio at one point did produce real movies, and don't forget about the popluar New Mickey Mouse Club.

To this day, the Backlot Tour ride still says the Disney-MGM Studios is a working studio.

Though, I haven't really seen anything recently.

A few years ago, I can remember them filming "Kermit's Swamp Years."

The park still has the potential to film more things, as they still have filming and recording studios.

WDWRLD

This is the list I have.

The HBO series “From the Earth to the Moon”: A 13-part drama was in production in two soundstages throughout 1997.

Films shot at the studios include: “Marvin’s Room,” “Passenger 57,” “Oscar,” “Quick Change,” “Ernest Saves Christmas,” “Splash Too,” “Separate But Equal” (Emmy-winning TV mini-series) and “Instinct.”

TV shows taped at the studios include: “Sheena,” “Full House,” “Wheel of Fortune,” “World Championship Wrestling,” “ESPN College Football Awards,” “Talk Soup,” “Step By Step,” “Barbara Walters Special”, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", and “Live! With Regis & Kathie Lee.”

Some of those shows were just a episode or so shot on location at WDW. Full House and Step By Step were shot just as much at MK than MGM. The remade tv game show was shot in its entirety at MGM, it was short lived though.

Blizz

Some of those shows were just a episode or so shot on location at WDW. Full House and Step By Step were shot just as much at MK than MGM. The remade tv game show was shot in its entirety at MGM, it was short lived though.

Doesn't matter, it's still production. Even second unit (the production unit that does not employ the use of feature talent) would count, such as the case with "The Golden Girls."

The Disney MGM Studios was also home to a duplicate set for "Home Improvement" not only as an attraction but also as a back up for the entire show (they almost moved production there when Tim Allen freaked out over the earthquakes LA experienced during the shows early years).

WDWRLD

Doesn't matter, it's still production. Even second unit (the production unit that does not employ the use of feature talent) would count, such as the case with "The Golden Girls."

The Disney MGM Studios was also home to a duplicate set for "Home Improvement" not only as an attraction but also as a back up for the entire show (they almost moved production there when Tim Allen freaked out over the earthquakes LA experienced during the shows early years).

Im not talking about shows like Golden Girls of Home Improvement, Im talking about shows like Full House and Step By Step, they only fimled brief shots in the parks showing tha stars of those shows visiting Disney World. I dont think that we are talking about shows that had only a brief scene shot in the park but rather a full episode shot on a soundstage and using post production serviced at the studios. Rosanne also filmed a 2 part episode there but I dont consider that as being produced at The Disney MGM Studios unless it was filmed there in the parks and then edited there. There are alot of things filmed there but that dosent make it a movie studio. There are travel shows filmed all the time in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but I dont consider them a working film studio. Yes they did film some shows and movies there but IMO it was really only a working studio for a few years.

Blizz

Im not talking about shows like Golden Girls of Home Improvement, Im talking about shows like Full House and Step By Step, they only fimled brief shots in the parks showing tha stars of those shows visiting Disney World. I dont think that we are talking about shows that had only a brief scene shot in the park but rather a full episode shot on a soundstage and using post production serviced at the studios. Rosanne also filmed a 2 part episode there but I dont consider that as being produced at The Disney MGM Studios unless it was filmed there in the parks and then edited there. There are alot of things filmed there but that dosent make it a movie studio. There are travel shows filmed all the time in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but I dont consider them a working film studio. Yes they did film some shows and movies there but IMO it was really only a working studio for a few years.

Once again... you have to understand the business of making movies and television shows.

You are thinking on too grand of a scale... you are thinking on the scale that Disney has guests thinking. Few shows are edited at the studio where they are produced. Heck, the Disney Christmas Parade is partially edited in two edit suites at Universal Studios by the company that produces the parade. The last show I worked on was shot here in Orlando (on location and on sound stages) and edited out in California.

Shows like Step by Step and Boy Meets World may only do one show from the parks, but they spent weeks there shooting that one episode. Using offices on the Disney MGM Studios backlot, building sets and props in the scene shop and the lighting and grip that Disney Studios has to support the shoot. (Hollywood Rentals used to be based out of the Disney MGM Studios before Disney needed the space for other projects, they are now just outside of the property and are still used by almost all Disney shows).

Many studios have all the components (Post house, stages, locations, etc..), but that does not mean that all of the parts are used by every show. Many studios that work non-stop lack many of the parts. Downey Studios in CA is nothing but two large stages and a large open field. But they are still a working studio.

My cousin is the supervising editor on a show out in LA that is shot on the Universal Hollywood backlot, has its audio mix done at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank and finished at a post house in Downtown LA. Thats just how it works, be it Orlando or LA.

So trust me, The Disney MGM Studios is more then just the smoke and mirrors that they put on for the guests. Yes... it is that. But it is also so much more. Hundreds of productions take place at the parks that guests and cast memebers who work one trailer over never see or hear about.

Blizz

Where the heck do people think all those Best Kept Secret DVD's come from?

That would be the Yellow Shoes Creative Group. The Disney World marketing arm that does all the DVD's for Disney. They usually hire an Orlando based production company to produce them. They use Bruno White and ImageROCKS a lot and Lightship Entertainment (but they dont do the DVD's).

AEfx

So trust me, The Disney MGM Studios is more then just the smoke and mirrors that they put on for the guests. Yes... it is that. But it is also so much more. Hundreds of productions take place at the parks that guests and cast memebers who work one trailer over never see or hear about.

LOL you have convinced me, MGM was once a partially working studio (I just don't think it ever was as busy as some people seem to believe - the IMDB certainly doesn't support that). I can admit when I am wrong. But to listen to some people you'd think they were busy 24/7, and the evidence (lists of productions that have been done there) just doesn't add up.

You make great points about the interdependencies between different aspects of production, which I've always tried to make a point of. Some people on these boards champion them doing more filming at MGM, and I've always contended the reason it doesn't happen is because of the very fact that Orlando simply doesn't offer the film resources that other communities do. There are resources, but by and large they are cheaper and more accessable elsewhere with little incentive to come to Orlando if you do not NEED to (obviously, programs like you mentioned, i.e. Step By Step, etc., spent time filming in all the parks and the location was necessary, but they did not use the soundstages and such).

However, are you saying that all this is still going on? You seem to be talking in the present tense, and none of the current (or recent memory) Disney programs are filmed there, and I don't think anyone has listed anything here that has been made there this century. And, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Toy Story Mania going into some of these very stages that were in question? Are you saying that this "secret filming" is all still taking place? If so, where?

AEfx

WDWRLD

Im not arguing the fact that there are tv shows and movies produced there, im just saying that Disney MGM is not a movie studio in the sense that there are multipul shows and movies being taped every day. If there were they would not still be talking about the same two or three movies filmed there when MGM first opened. Heck, radio disney dosent even broadcast from there anymore.

WDWRLD

Once again... you have to understand the business of making movies and television shows.

You are thinking on too grand of a scale... you are thinking on the scale that Disney has guests thinking. Few shows are edited at the studio where they are produced. Heck, the Disney Christmas Parade is partially edited in two edit suites at Universal Studios by the company that produces the parade. The last show I worked on was shot here in Orlando (on location and on sound stages) and edited out in California.

Shows like Step by Step and Boy Meets World may only do one show from the parks, but they spent weeks there shooting that one episode. Using offices on the Disney MGM Studios backlot, building sets and props in the scene shop and the lighting and grip that Disney Studios has to support the shoot. (Hollywood Rentals used to be based out of the Disney MGM Studios before Disney needed the space for other projects, they are now just outside of the property and are still used by almost all Disney shows).

Many studios have all the components (Post house, stages, locations, etc..), but that does not mean that all of the parts are used by every show. Many studios that work non-stop lack many of the parts. Downey Studios in CA is nothing but two large stages and a large open field. But they are still a working studio.

My cousin is the supervising editor on a show out in LA that is shot on the Universal Hollywood backlot, has its audio mix done at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank and finished at a post house in Downtown LA. Thats just how it works, be it Orlando or LA.

Let me ask this then....is everything filmed there filmed indoors? They dont use New York street anymore to film all those movies and tv shows and they bulldozed residental street. I guess if you count what they use at LMA "filming" then yes it is a working studio....I understand that there are still shows, comercials, and parts of movies taped there BUT...they are taping that same stuff in about every medium to large city in the US everyday. Is there another wardrobe that is not visiable to the public? Because its very easy to see that everyone in the one on the tour is working on CM costumes.

I3olTz

im sure when they used to film it was in there big soundstages in the back you can see them good whne you go on the backlot tour....but im alsmot postive they arnt active anymore...maybe shoot a quick epsode of some disney special or somthing

Blizz

Let me ask this then....is everything filmed there filmed indoors? They dont use New York street anymore to film all those movies and tv shows and they bulldozed residental street. I guess if you count what they use at LMA "filming" then yes it is a working studio....I understand that there are still shows, comercials, and parts of movies taped there BUT...they are taping that same stuff in about every medium to large city in the US everyday. Is there another wardrobe that is not visiable to the public? Because its very easy to see that everyone in the one on the tour is working on CM costumes.

Well the wardrobe department on the last two films I worked on were nothing more then a fancy tractor trailer pulled up next to the production office.

Most of the tapings, well thanks to Disney, all of the tapings at Disney are now outside and on location with the rare exception of ESPN doing something inside. Some little things are done at resorts and wide world of sports but everything goes through Disney Marketing or the Studio Manager.

Most of the tapings today are for some branch of Disney, they have priced their services above what most production companies in Orlando can afford. The exception to this is when the show is about Disney, then they welcome them with open arms.

You are right in the sense that it is not a "Movie studio" but almost no studio is today. Studios cant afford to be one, they must support everything they can from film to television to web. Disney MGM Studios has not kept up and the number of shows is growing smaller, but if the Orlando film community continues on its upswing, they might provide more support.

AEfx - There is not really "secret tapings", its just things get taped all over and most of them go un-noticed. Just a week or so ago a Univision television show taped at the Magic Kingdom, most didnt even know it was going on while the were shooting it.

Filmings still take place, not like they were "back in the day", but thats just how film communities outside of LA are, its comes in waves. Universal Orlando is always packed with tapings and right now they are enjoying a good run. I can see many of them going to Disney if their studios were still offering stages and more production offices, but Disney thinks that they need it all for themselves, so the productions go to Universal. As of this week everyone of their soundstages has something going on, TNA Wrestling in 21, Universal Orlando is using 20 and 22, Blue Man Group has 24 and 18. FSN has 19, and Bring It On 4 is on stage 23, a new network is on 25 and I am sure a few location things are taking place. It is a shame that Disney wont open their eyes to this and open themselves up to building back up their production support.

PS - IMDb is wrong a lot. People in the business use it, but since its user supported like Wiki's it can be wrong a lot.

AEfx

AEfx - There is not really "secret tapings", its just things get taped all over and most of them go un-noticed. Just a week or so ago a Univision television show taped at the Magic Kingdom, most didnt even know it was going on while the were shooting it.

Hmmm...I guess this is the point I was trying to make earlier. Okay, so there was a show taped at the Magic Kingdom, a major tourist attraction. Does that make the MK a "working studio"?

To take it out of a Disney context, let's say I send a film crew to the Statue of Liberty, another major tourist attraction. Does that then make it a "working studio"? In the film world I have been a part of, that's a "location".

You have convinced me that there was a small amount of self-contained infrastructure at MGM that I was unaware of, many years ago, but as I said from the start I guess it is just a matter of semantics. Filming taking place at the MK, TV sitcoms that do location shoots, etc., just don't make it a studio to me. My original reason for posting was to point out that indeed, even though as you have made us aware of some behind-the-scenes stuff that the public did not see, that virtually everything in-park (again, except for location shoots) presented as "real live working studio filmmaking" was nothing of the sort.

So I guess I'd rephrase and say "MGM was never a publicly open working studio, virtually everything done in front of guests was fake". Once more, I'd have to make the exception for actual filming taking advantage of the tourist attraction (like when "Wheel of Fortune" visited a long time ago; they also visted many other cities and attractions as well), but virtually everything done in front of guests at MGM has always been, and continues to be (L!M!A! anyone?) fake fake fake. It bothers me at this point because I believe it's pandering to pretend, most people are much too sophisticated to do more than humor the concept.

Thanks for opening my eyes to what was there, though. It was interesting.

AEfx

Blizz

Hmmm...I guess this is the point I was trying to make earlier. Okay, so there was a show taped at the Magic Kingdom, a major tourist attraction. Does that make the MK a "working studio"?

To take it out of a Disney context, let's say I send a film crew to the Statue of Liberty, another major tourist attraction. Does that then make it a "working studio"? In the film world I have been a part of, that's a "location".

You have convinced me that there was a small amount of self-contained infrastructure at MGM that I was unaware of, many years ago, but as I said from the start I guess it is just a matter of semantics. Filming taking place at the MK, TV sitcoms that do location shoots, etc., just don't make it a studio to me. My original reason for posting was to point out that indeed, even though as you have made us aware of some behind-the-scenes stuff that the public did not see, that virtually everything in-park (again, except for location shoots) presented as "real live working studio filmmaking" was nothing of the sort.

So I guess I'd rephrase and say "MGM was never a publicly open working studio, virtually everything done in front of guests was fake". Once more, I'd have to make the exception for actual filming taking advantage of the tourist attraction (like when "Wheel of Fortune" visited a long time ago; they also visted many other cities and attractions as well), but virtually everything done in front of guests at MGM has always been, and continues to be (L!M!A! anyone?) fake fake fake. It bothers me at this point because I believe it's pandering to pretend, most people are much too sophisticated to do more than humor the concept.

Thanks for opening my eyes to what was there, though. It was interesting.

AEfx

Ok, maybe I didnt explain this right.

Studios, first off, are not a public place. Having people watch makes it harder to film. The Disney MGM Studios has a real working studio element. This element is not the one shown to guests. Parts of it at times were part of the backlot tour. The construction shop and the light and grip areas were and still are part of the studio. DIsney, the theme parks, also share that space because they too can use what those spaces have to offer. The animation building, was the biggest part, today it is office space to support different branches of Disney. The production centre is still there and is still doing television work for ESPN, independent films, etc.. Its just not made aparent to the public because the clients do not wish to have it paraded.

Yes the Magic Kingdom is a location, so is a sound stage if you want to really break it down.

A studio is a working body whose purpose for being is to support and encourage production. If I built an airplane hanger, hung some lights and opened it for use by clients, I in a sense have a studio.

LMA is not supposed to be a real working studio anything. LMA is nothing more then an attraction and I dont feel Disney tries to make it sound like they are shooting it for a real project. It's the same with the Harbor Attack sequence. Disney uses these attractions to explain what some parts of the production experience are like. This is all done by the hourly cast of the Walt Disney World Resort. What is done on the backlot and the working studio is that of the marketing department and the studio managers' office. Disney is not lieing when they say that they have a full working studio, they do, guests and cast are just not always made aware of it.

In my mind the entire Walt Disney World Resort is a backlot. I could take a crew and film around Epcot, The Studios, Magic Kingdom, etc... It would look just as if I shot it on the backlot streets of Universal Studios Hollywood or the small lot now behind Downey Studios in CA. The people that make these locations possible are the studio manager at the real working Disney MGM Studios (now sans animation).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom