Merits of DLR vs. WDW

Phroobar

How much room do they have to expand? Like how many acres are we talking here?
The MK is surrounded by wilderness. They can expand as much as they want.

2017-02-21%2016_01_23-Walt%20Disney%20World%20Resort%20-%20Google%20Maps_zpscmwbe6aw.png

RMichael21

How much room do they have to expand? Like how many acres are we talking here?
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 7.03.09 PM.png

The green area shows expansion areas directly within (or right outside of) the railroad tracks without rerouting roads or rivers. AND, this is also without removing any attractions or rerouting ROA like what is currently happening at DLR.

In all, the highlighted area comes out to be about 34 acres.

Or course, you could remove attractions or expand beyond this area by rerouting roads, so that's also an option.

mickEblu

The MK is surrounded by wilderness. They can expand as much as they want.

2017-02-21%2016_01_23-Walt%20Disney%20World%20Resort%20-%20Google%20Maps_zpscmwbe6aw.png

Wow. They could actually expand Adventureland if they wanted to. I'm surprised they never got Indy. They have room for the Aladdin E ticket I keep dreaming about.

TL Seems to be the easier expansion.

They could expand Frontierland but it's not the hottest theme these days and they just upgraded Fanstasyland so yeah, I think an expanded Adventureland would be awesome.

EDIT: I forgot AK got Dinosaur instead.

The Empress Lilly

The same WED designers who made Tomorrowland '67 and New Orleans Square did a marvelous job in the 70s designing a grander version of the original Disneyland in California. You can still see some of that work in things like the interior of Columbia Harbour House and the unique design of Tom Sawer Island (Tokyo is a copy of DLR). That's what still gives the park something worth seeing.

But MK has suffered terribly from poor redesign decisions and a failure to improve much of its aging infrastructure. It is also packed with some of the most obnoxious tourists you could ever fear to deal with, along with the frustrating logistics of FP+ and ADRs. The park was at its peak in the summer of 1992, but has since (mostly) gone down hill ever since. I like it best during MNSSHP when there's no FP, better entertainment and a different crowd mix than the usual bus loads of tour groups and bulky strollers.
That's the tragedy of WDW right there. On a list of all-time best Disney parks EPCOT Center and classic MK would fight for position one and two. Then there would be nothing, then DL, Disney Sea and also DLP and DHS would fight for best of the rest.

Now? Nowadays EPCOT is OK, but OK doesn't cut it for a park that once was a spiritual experience. The MK meanwhile is degraded into a mean and sorry zoo.

HMF

Original Poster
Disneyland has a better Magic Kingdom in that it has more soul and dare I say charm. Although tomorrowland in Disneyland is an absolute mess. No effort to be cohesive whatsoever and Space Mountain, while smoother, is nowhere near as fun.

Disneyland wins with:
Fantasyland
Big Thunder Mountain
Pirates
Paint the Night
Grizzly River Run
Carsland
Indiana Jones
Critter Country
Buena Vista Street
Grizzly Peak Airfield
Sorian makes more sense here
Pacific Wharf (Totally under appreciated)
World of Color

WDW:
Hall of Presidents
Peoplemover (lol)
Space Mountain
Everest
Pretty much all of Animal Kingdom. An atmosphere that nothing In Disneyland has.
The water parks
Disney Springs
Resort options
Spaceship Earth
American Adventure
Illuminations
Tower of Terror
Great Movie Ride

So yea I guess WDW is still the better vacation destination of the two although both are very special.
Couldn't disagree more on Space Mountain.

RMichael21

There are people who prefer WDW's Space Mountain over DL's?? Really? WDW's is painful. And not that thrilling. I've started skipping it on my trips.
Personally, I don't find WDW's Space as bad as Matterhorn at DLR. And I find that it makes for a scarier/more thrilling experience. Plus, the queue is much better at WDW.

Also DLR's is practically going in a downward spiral in the same direction. But, the soundtrack is cool, which gives DLR some brownie points. It really just comes down to if your able to handle/enjoy the ricketiness of WDW's track. I'll admit, it's a little rough on some days, but overall I don't mind it.;

If WDW could completely replace the structure with a smoother track (with the same layout), I'd be a happy camper though. :)

BrianLo

Hollywood Studios, yea it's not hard to beat. Tower of Terror is leaps and bounds better then the one in Anaheim and Great Movie Ride is pure classic Disney even in its rather old state. The park doesn't have much other then that but at least Star Wars Land will fit MUCH better there then Disneyland.

I'm going to say something that I anticipate is going to be extremely controversial and not go over very well in the least...

I think at the end of the day what they are building for Star Wars will fit far more organically at DL than DHS (well, soon to be the corpse of I suppose).

They only reason people think the current design of SWE fits DHS is because people have deemed it an IP park with discreet borders and a general hodge podge anything goes mess. The forested walk around critter country passing the rivers of America will give way to increasingly large petrified trees, or the frontier land rockwork gives way to increasingly more alien Wild West frontier.

Meanwhile DHS will give us the Muppets courtyard or oversized Toy Land with sharply drawn borders into a completely unrelated sense of design, scale, realism, theme and narrative.

Alright, have at me...

Earl Sweatpants

I'm going to say something that I anticipate is going to be extremely controversial and not go over very well in the least...

I think at the end of the day what they are building for Star Wars will fit far more organically at DL than DHS (well, soon to be the corpse of I suppose).

They only reason people think the current design of SWE fits DHS is because people have deemed it an IP park with discreet borders and a general hodge podge anything goes mess. The forested walk around critter country passing the rivers of America will give way to increasingly large petrified trees, or the frontier land rockwork gives way to increasingly more alien Wild West frontier.

Meanwhile DHS will give us the Muppets courtyard or oversized Toy Land with sharply drawn borders into a completely unrelated sense of design, scale, realism, theme and narrative.

Alright, have at me...
I can see where you're coming from and actually in that respect, I agree. DHS' SWL will be a more jarring transition than DLR's...but that's probably as far as I wanna peel back this can o' worms. :)

mickEblu

Alright, have at me...

Hahah. I agree. I've been saying this for months.

mickEblu

There are people who prefer WDW's Space Mountain over DL's?? Really? WDW's is painful. And not that thrilling. I've started skipping it on my trips.

I've heard it has more drops. What kind of drops are we talkin bout? POTC drops or Spash Mountain drops?

BrianLo

I can see where you're coming from and actually in that respect, I agree. DHS' SWL will be a more jarring transition than DLR's...but that's probably as far as I wanna peel back this can o' worms. :)

Hahah. I agree. I've been saying this for months.

I should almost redact my comment out of fear of thread drift.

I think in the spirit of this thread one of the biggest differences between DLR and WDW is standards. They are huge on the West coast and often lacking on the East. Hence why people are so passionate... and that's generally a good difference in Disneylands favour.

Earl Sweatpants

I should almost redact my comment out of fear of thread drift.

I think in the spirit of this thread one of the biggest differences between DLR and WDW is standards. They are huge on the West coast and often lacking on the East. Hence why people are so passionate... and that's generally a good difference in Disneylands favour.
I think that comes from DL being "Walt's park" and being the original...it always seems to get preferential treatment over its sister...even though WDW has a lot bigger load to carry.

Travel Junkie

Alright, have at me...

Well it was designed for DL and they are more or less doing a cut and paste into DHS so in some ways you are right. I'm not sure how all of the rock work will fit into DHS and not feel like a completely different park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom