Merits of DLR vs. WDW

dweezil78

Not sure Magic Mountain is considered their flagship park... I don't even think it was one that they actually built, I think it was one they just bought from someone else... As for their maintenance and cleanliness that started to decline back in the 80's, and only got worse as they had a CEO that was intent on simply milking the company for money short term with no care for the long term viability of the company... which of course led to bankruptcy.... So honestly they should be looked as an example of what will happen to Disneyland if the bean counters take over and they continue pushing for short term profits at all costs.

Apparently Six Flags has only ever built 3 parks total (Over Texas, Over Georgia, and St. Louis). the rest were all acquisitions... did not know this! Magic Mountain was acquisition #2 back in 1979 long before it was the coaster giant it is today, so it's pretty much their park though not technically from day 1.

Disneyland may not be doing things that everybody loves and agrees with, but they are a far far cry from what one would experience in a Six Flags park (which even my toddler hails as 'disgusting' -- ha!). The value and service at Disneyland is still top notch even if it's not at the level it was once upon a time. And while certainly things may not be what they once were, I'd argue that our memories are also a bit clouded as Disney fans were not nearly as critical of park operations and maintenance in the pre-internet days before we had 20+ minute YT videos and daily photo updates to obsess over every detail. Things in the park have always broken and needed sprucing up. Maybe not as much as they do today, but again, these were not things people obsessed over when I was a child and enjoyed the parks on a different level.

Curious Constance

Today at work, one of my coworkers mentioned how I probably like DL better because I'm from LA, even though WDW is better. Her sister did the College Program in WDW, and she has expressed that she's interested in Disney and is knowledgeable.

I don't think she expected me to be obsessed.

The poor girl then had to listen to me talk about how DLR has more attractions, is currently in better upkeep and how the attractions are generally better maintained, in addition to the Space Mountain and BTMRR redos, PTN, etc. The conversation ended with her giving me a blank stare and some statement about how WDW is still better.

Obviously the WDW vs DL debate will go on till the end of time, and objectively there really can't be a winner since they each have their strengths, but this really demonstrated to me that for people who don't live on either coast, WDW is usually regarded as the better place to visit due to its size and greater number of parks.

lol Dude, you're supposed to hide your crazy among normal people!

Stevek

So...looks like I'm going to Disney World in May. Company sales meeting, going to fly the Mrs out at the end of the meeting and spend 4 days. Booked POP Century again...it's cheap, it's a room and we're not in it most of the time. We liked it back in 2010. Hoping that Pandora soft opens as we'll be there on 5/20 which is only a week prior to official opening. Been 3 years since our last visit, will do DAK, Epcot and MK in that order and just trying to figure out dining now. Fastpass bookings start 3/20 so hoping we can at least see Mine Train and Frozen.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom