Memory Maker

Captain Hank

Okay.

Regardless of anything else, photos expire 45 days after they are taken. There is an option to purchase a one-time 15 day extension so that they expire 60 days after they are taken.

Now the 30-day time frame. Let's say that you purchase a Memory Maker. For simplicity's sake, it'll be the full-priced one that you don't have to purchase in advance. Once you activate the Memory Maker by downloading a photo, the Memory Maker looks at your account and makes any existing, active photos downloadable. Then, it looks 30 days into the future and makes any photos taken over the next 30 days downloadable. Let's say that you were to activate the Memory Maker today (January 6, 2017). Any existing, visible photos in your account would be downloadable, as would any photos taken between now and February 5, 2017. These photos will remain downloadable until they expire (45 days after they were originally taken).

If you download the photos on a computer (which you should--there's an option to compress them into .zip files so that there are fewer files to download and they download at a higher resolution), those downloadable files expire after a number of days (currently 7, IIRC). However, as long as your photos are still not expired, you can click "Download All" again to create new downloadable files.

Bonus info: The discounted (currently $149) Memory Maker must be purchased 3 full days prior to any eligible photos being taken. Date of purchase is day one, then two further days are blocked out. So if you were to purchase a discounted Memory Maker today (January 6, 2017) photos taken January 9 and forward would be eligible to be downloaded with said Memory Maker.

TiggerDad

Okay.

Regardless of anything else, photos expire 45 days after they are taken. There is an option to purchase a one-time 15 day extension so that they expire 60 days after they are taken.

Now the 30-day time frame. Let's say that you purchase a Memory Maker. For simplicity's sake, it'll be the full-priced one that you don't have to purchase in advance. Once you activate the Memory Maker by downloading a photo, the Memory Maker looks at your account and makes any existing, active photos downloadable. Then, it looks 30 days into the future and makes any photos taken over the next 30 days downloadable. Let's say that you were to activate the Memory Maker today (January 6, 2017). Any existing, visible photos in your account would be downloadable, as would any photos taken between now and February 5, 2017. These photos will remain downloadable until they expire (45 days after they were originally taken).

If you download the photos on a computer (which you should--there's an option to compress them into .zip files so that there are fewer files to download and they download at a higher resolution), those downloadable files expire after a number of days (currently 7, IIRC). However, as long as your photos are still not expired, you can click "Download All" again to create new downloadable files.

Bonus info: The discounted (currently $149) Memory Maker must be purchased 3 full days prior to any eligible photos being taken. Date of purchase is day one, then two further days are blocked out. So if you were to purchase a discounted Memory Maker today (January 6, 2017) photos taken January 9 and forward would be eligible to be downloaded with said Memory Maker.
Thanks for clarifying all of the deadlines. I think the point is it's okay to purchase the discounted online Memory Maker months in advance of when you will need it as long as you don't activate it until you are ready to use it. I seem to recall a warning popping up so you can't just accidentally activate it.

Do you know on the .zip files if there is a way to bundle them better? I think we ended up with 32 different .zip files that had to be downloaded and unzipped individually.

Captain Hank

Thanks for clarifying all of the deadlines. I think the point is it's okay to purchase the discounted online Memory Maker months in advance of when you will need it as long as you don't activate it until you are ready to use it. I seem to recall a warning popping up so you can't just accidentally activate it.

Do you know on the .zip files if there is a way to bundle them better? I think we ended up with 32 different .zip files that had to be downloaded and unzipped individually.
Correct. You can purchase the pre-arrival Memory Maker at any time prior to your trip, as long as it's at least 3 full days out. I could purchase it today for a trip 5 months into the future and be fine. You are also correct that it will warn you about activation.

Unfortunately, the .zip files are the way they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom