Memory Maker - Will you get it?

teenie0140

With our upcoming trip in December, twin babies, and an older child, I was going to get Memory Maker as I always do to help with the burden of taking our own pictures. However, with the recent reviews of the automated photoboxes at select locations - I'm debating whether it is worth it.

For those of you who typically do get Memory Maker, what will you do for your next trip with the recent automated changes?

Schneewittchen

My vote "no" kinda doesn't count. My family has APs for this year, so PhotoPass/Memory Maker is included.

In the past, we always took our own photos and handed our cameras over to cast members as needed. We're not big Disney picture takers. I never ordered the PhotoPass pictures. DH usually has one "mission photo" of the kids in front of Cinderella Castle that he takes our first morning and that's it....

With that said, when we visited back in July, the lame-o photoboxes were up and running at Star Wars Launch Bay. Those photos with Chewbecca and Kylo Ren are trash. Terrible. Can't see anyone's faces, taken at awkward moments, etc.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

No. We purchased MemoryMaker once, a few years ago (in 2012, when the cost was HALF of what it is now), and the photos we had CMs take with our own phones and point-and-shoot cameras turned out way better than the "professional" Photopass photos. Not only that, but the on-ride photos are never sharp enough to be worth more than a glance afterward (you won't be framing them for your mantel), and some of those didn't come out at all. (Confession: DH and I think the photoshopped "Magic Shots" are pointless and stupid, so we don't miss not having those, although I know some MemoryMaker purchasers, who are clearly less curmudgeon-ly than DH and I, absolutely love them. YMMV.)

I love to get lots of pictures and I typically put together a photo memory book of our trip when we get home. Nonetheless, in our experience, handing our phone or camera to a CM or Photopass photographer (or even a passing guest who's willing to snap a photo) is no more difficult or complicated than going through the MagicBand scan for a Photopass photo, the pictures are just as good if not better, and I can think of myriad ways that $170-$200 can be better spent. The fact that there's now greater potential for bad Photopass photos, thanks to the possibility that your photographer will be a box, makes us even less likely to buy something we already didn't think was worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nottamus

I also voted NO, as an Annual Pass Holder. It comes included, and although the first year we were Pass holders, we stopped at quite a few pic places....They were not "us"

Our better pictures were the ones we took ourselves, and what we wanted to see later. Posing for a Photopass, can be fun, but some of the poses were just forced. (ok, all of them)

If i was paying for it alone, I wouldn't----and use that cash for a dinner or some other experience.

Just my opinion....

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
With Disney seemingly getting rid of photographers more and more and using machines instead. I see little reason too. I know they'll not be able to eliminate all photographers, but it seems more and more character photo ops (where you use a fast pass), are using automated machines.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

i've been out of the Disney loop for a bit, but my family and I are starting to work on planning an August 2020 trip. On our last trip in 2016 we purchased Memory Maker and were very pleased by the service as it gave us an opportunity to take many pictures as a family which is something we hardly ever do. Some were definitely better than others of course, but overall we were happy with it. My Mom definitely wants to purchase again for this trip, but I had no idea about the photo boxes replacing photographers. There are things a photographer can catch that an automated box just can't. We will have to think about it now. I think I'll have to see some examples of pictures taken from the photo boxes.

Upvote 0

DisAl

A huge NO!
The photos that others have posted from the automated cameras are worthless compared to those made by a live photopass photographer.
I let them talk me into purchasing MM for our trip next May before they implemented the automated system at most of the meet and greets. If they don't go back to human photopass photographers before our trip I will be cancelling MM and asking for a refund. (If I understand it correctly you CAN cancel MM if it is part of a package.)
I consider what they have done to be a breach of contract. They sold me a premium product at a premium price and are now providing a nearly worthless product instead. If feels like ordering prime rib then getting a slice of bologna.

Upvote 0

dan8302

We have been debating for our trip around thanksgiving. We are only doing the park for two days, and even if you include Santa and the photo sessions you can do at Disney Springs, it just is becoming harder to justify.

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

We went ahead and got it again for our trip in Dec., but I only added it a couple days ago as people are reporting some of the boxes have been taken out and photographers are back. So I'm going to show my love to the real people who take the pics this year and prove to Disney some of us WANT pros taking our pics, not boxes. We'll see if it stays this way, if not I won't get it anymore. They got me one more time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom