Trip Report Melting! Wilderness Lodge in August

Hi friends!

We left the World a week ago, and spent a few days in St. Pete before getting back home Wednesday. I brought a nice little head cold back with me, so I've been lazy. I got all my pictures edited, so here we gooooooo!

Cast: Me & R (29 & 28)
Resort: Wilderness Lodge, standard view
Dates: August 9-13
Why?: R had a work trip from the 13-16th so we tacked on a WDW trip!

This trip was the first time we hired someone to come house/dog sit instead of taking Chipper to a family member's house. One of my student photographers stayed with him, and it went well (as far as I know...he is still alive and acting normal, so). This was right before we headed out to the airport.

I'm sure he didn't miss me making him take pictures.

We left the house at about 9:30am to head to Memphis. Our flight got delayed a bit. It was good because it gave us time to stop and get gas before we got to the airport (better than getting it when we're anxious to get home on the way back). We took off at 12:55. I was a little worried about making out Flight of Passage FP that evening, but I had my fingers crossed!

Flight was a little bumpy, but thankfully on time. We had our room text when we landed! Woot!

There was almost NO ONE at the Magical Express line, so I was worried there wouldn't be many busses. It took about 20 minutes to get on one and get going, so that's not terrible.

On our way!

We made it!

It rained all the way there, but it stopped by the time we arrived. We got there at 5:30 and headed to the room.

The room was nice enough. It wasn't spectacular, but we liked it! The best part was that we could see the castle from the balcony!

It's itty bitty in the picture, but it was a nice view! Unfortunately, we never got to watch the fireworks from the room. We almost made it the last night, but the bus was too slow (a theme on this trip).

The balcony was so tiny, and there was some kind of a truck bay outside so it was loud. I didn't spend much time out there because of those things and the heat, but it was still a cool view :)

Up next: Will we make FoP?

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
It’s hot as anything here in philly, I can’t imagine Orlando at this time!! Bought some lularoe leggings for January, hope it’s cool enough to rock them!

Love following along on Instagram!! I get so giddy watching your stories!! :)
I think it will be cool enough! I've been in january twice and it's been very comfortable. Here's hoping! Also, @blgauger and I are scheming a way to get @Doc Disney down during our January trips so we can all four meet up :cool: Maybe we can bribe her with a mojito or something.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Unpopular opinion time: Tonga Toast is overrated.

Had breakfast at Kona this morning. The press pot was great (R didn't like it, but I did). We shared Tonga Toast, which was just ok, and the Loco Moco. I really enjoyed the later. The gravy was super good!

We did decide since we don't normally eat breakfast, we should have shared one dish. We're both feeling off now after so much food...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Unpopular opinion time: Tonga Toast is overrated.

Had breakfast at Kona this morning. The press pot was great (R didn't like it, but I did). We shared Tonga Toast, which was just ok, and the Loco Moco. I really enjoyed the later. The gravy was super good!

We did decide since we don't normally eat breakfast, we should have shared one dish. We're both feeling off now after so much food...

I love Tonga Toast, but haven't had it in years. (I think the one time I got it was in the QS outlet at the Poly.) I haven't stayed at one of the monorail resorts for quite a few years, so I don't venture over there for meals. But I do remember the yummy Tonga Toast!! :hungry:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I love Tonga Toast, but haven't had it in years. (I think the one time I got it was in the QS outlet at the Poly.) I haven't stayed at one of the monorail resorts for quite a few years, so I don't venture over there for meals. But I do remember the yummy Tonga Toast!! :hungry:
I just don't get it :hilarious: The strawberry compote was quite good, but the toast itself was just too thick! It was nice and fluffy, there was just too much of it in each bite. Maybe if there were two layers of the banana stuff? I dunno...it's just not for me.

Glad I tried it though!

Also: It's now 4pm, and neither of us have been hungry since that breakfast. We skipped lunch entirely, and are just getting something from Captain Cooks for dinner!

PrincessL

Happy belated Anniversary! Enjoy your trip!

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Tonga toast:( The strawberry compote is def the highlight for me!!

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
F0F1B3DB-AB7C-495F-B879-D77FB7ECF7F9.jpeg

I wish I could say we did this on purpose @Tuvalu

Doc Disney

I think it will be cool enough! I've been in january twice and it's been very comfortable. Here's hoping! Also, @blgauger and I are scheming a way to get @Doc Disney down during our January trips so we can all four meet up :cool: Maybe we can bribe her with a mojito or something.

Mojitos are on the house @Doc Disney :p Get that trip booked!

WAIT?! I'm so behind! What are these dates?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? Maybe I can swing a weekend! No mojito bride needed

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I haven’t seen this come up anywhere and it surprised me today, so here’s your public service announcement!

MCO has implemented some new security measures that require you to remove any food from your bags for security.

Today Magical Express got us there later than I’m comfortable with and the security line was at about 30/40min. Then my caramel popcorn and coffee I bought had to be swabbed, which took extra time. It was just surprising and I wish I’d known about this ahead of time. I would have put those food items in my checked bag!

I know a lot of you might be traveling with candy from MNSSHP so, heads up.

Also, we’re almost home, so I’ll try to start my trip report (separate thread) soon!!

Nemo14

I haven’t seen this come up anywhere and it surprised me today, so here’s your public service announcement!

MCO has implemented some new security measures that require you to remove any food from your bags for security.

Today Magical Express got us there later than I’m comfortable with and the security line was at about 30/40min. Then my caramel popcorn and coffee I bought had to be swabbed, which took extra time. It was just surprising and I wish I’d known about this ahead of time. I would have put those food items in my checked bag!

I know a lot of you might be traveling with candy from MNSSHP so, heads up.

Also, we’re almost home, so I’ll try to start my trip report (separate thread) soon!!

There's a thread about it here:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tsa-candy-snack-check.933822/#post-7907292

riverside

Premium Member
We went through the same ordeal there about a week & a half ago. My sister had tons of snacks in her bag(we were traveling with her 2 year old son). It took forever—especially because they were in no hurry to do their job.:arghh:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom