Meet half marathoners at finish line?

ABigBrassBand

Original Poster
Reposted from WDW Parks General Discussion, because I was referred back here.

Basically, my sister and mother are doing the half-marathon, and would like me to be there at the finish line (which I assume is around 7:30-8). However, there's always the fact that I probably won't want to get up to go with them at 3am after coming back from EPCOT's EMH at 12:30am, so I'm going to try and meet them. My sister insists on me coming with them at 3am, because she says there is a lot of traffic and the buses don't leave that early. We're going to stay at the Caribbean Beach, what would be the quickest and most efficient way that I could wake up at 7, eat, and go meet them?

Thanks!

MKCP 1985

The finish line is just outside the front entrance to the Epcot park. If nothing is running that early and you don't have a car, you should be able to catch a cab.

Don't let your sister talk you into going with them . . . get some sleep! :lol:

lukacseven

Transportation from each resort to the start line stops running around 4:15. This is to ensure the roads are clear, because the race both starts and finishes at Epcot and uses the main access roads. Buses departing Epcot after the race are re-routed to the resorts. You should check the race program and talk to someone at the Expo to find out what the spectator bus schedule is. You may also want to look at a map and consider walking from Caribbean Beach to Epcot. Take E. Buena Vista Drive to Backstage Lane or you can walk along Epcot Center Drive and you'll see the start line and can cut through the trees - they have bridges set up for start line spectators.

dreamfinder

Surely Disney provides transportation to the finish line? Would only make sense...

They do.

Here is the snippet from the 2010 marathon information packet
WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon and Half Marathon
Monorail transportation will be provided to those participants staying at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, and Disney’s Polynesian Resort beginning at 3:00 a.m. The Monorail will transport you to the Ticket and Transportation Center where you will board a second Monorail that will transport you to Epcot ®. Participants must board Monorails by 4:00 a.m. to be on time for the start.

Special Marathon Weekend Transportation will begin departure from all other WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resorts at 3:00 a.m. Buses will be indicated by Marathon Weekend Transportation signs placed in the front windows. Participants must board buses by 4:00 a.m. to be on time for the start.

Special Marathon Weekend Transportation will continue throughout the morning for spectators. Marathon Weekend Transportation will be suspended between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday due to race start and road closures.

After the race, bus stops will be set up in the Family Reunion area at Epcot ®. Special Marathon Weekend Transportation from Epcot ® to WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort Hotels concludes at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday and at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.

So it all depends on your family members estimated finish time. If you get on the first Marathon transportation bus, you may indeed make it over for 7:30. Or, the normal WDW transportation should be running around that time as well, however you will need to walk from one end of the Epcot parking lot to the other as the WDW bus drop off is about as far away from the finish as you can get. The marathon specific transportation should drop you off much closer.

The information may be different for the 2011 marathon weekend, you would need to check the information as it gets released.

And as lukacseven said, you may be able to walk. Disney will not like that, and definitely won't recommend it, but the option is there.

However, if you are dead set on seeing them finish, you will need to get up early. I would recommend building in extra time no matter how you plan on going due to closures and such. Better to be there early and have to wait, then to be late and miss them.

lukacseven

If you are staying at Caribbean Beach, you should be able to get to the finish line when the transportation resumes at 7:00. It may take slightly longer than normal, because the busses will take a different route, but it's early enough that park goers won't be arriving until later.

Also keep in mind the staggered start and corral assignments. If the race starts at 5:55 am, the final wave doesn't go off until almost 6:30 and the female half marathon winner usually finishes in around 1:20. You may have more time than you think to get to the finish line.

I disagree with MKCP 1985, If you aren't running, you can still wake up early and come out and support your firends, family and all runners. There is entertainment at the start line/staging area and you can take the monorail to the ticket and transit center, and you can enter MK and see them run down Main St. and through the castle.

dreamfinder

I disagree with MKCP 1985, If you aren't running, you can still wake up early and come out and support your firends, family and all runners. There is entertainment at the start line/staging area and you can take the monorail to the ticket and transit center, and you can enter MK and see them run down Main St. and through the castle.

There is also the possibility you won't have a choice about waking up. Depending on where exactly your room is located, you may hear the starting fireworks and wake up. And if you will be woken up anyways, wouldn't you feel better cheering your family on when they start? ; )

MKCP 1985

He wouldn't need to be up at 3 am to do that. Even the world class runners won't reach the Magic Kingdom before 6:30 at the earliest.

dreamfinder said:
There is also the possibility you won't have a choice about waking up. Depending on where exactly your room is located, you may hear the starting fireworks and wake up. And if you will be woken up anyways, wouldn't you feel better cheering your family on when they start? ;

Seriously? :lol: I didn't see the warnings to Caribbean Beach hotel guests that they won't be able to sleep on Saturday and Sunday nights on marathon weekend due to firework noise. Where did you come up with that one? :lol:

lukacseven

He wouldn't need to be up at 3 am to do that. Even the world class runners won't reach the Magic Kingdom before 6:30 at the earliest.

Right! But if the transportation is suspended, you need to be on the bus to the start line by 5:00 am. So you can sleep 'til then and come out and show some support. Otherwise, you should post your questions in the "Sleeping at WDW" Forum, not the running one.

ABigBrassBand

Original Poster
Hmm, thanks! My mother is unable to make it due to knee problems, so she'll be staying with me as well. We'll probably leave with the 7:00am bus to get to the finish line. My sister is great at this, so I'm assuming she'd finish it rather quickly, we'll see.

dreamfinder

Seriously? :lol: I didn't see the warnings to Caribbean Beach hotel guests that they won't be able to sleep on Saturday and Sunday nights on marathon weekend due to firework noise. Where did you come up with that one? :lol:

Well, maybe CBR might be a bit of a stretch. However, looking at maps, it could theoretically happen if their room was in Barbados or Martinique, as that end is near the start. I do know for a fact that my wife woke up this year at OKW. And while getting something resolved at the front desk I heard at least 1 party checking in demanding a room at the other end of the resort as they were woken up the year prior.

Work with me here, I'm trying to get some early morning support for the runners.

lukacseven

On a serious note, I don't know that the fireworks are that loud, but there's also music blaring and portable stadium lights. The lights are visible from a good distance away, but as far as disrupting sleep, I dont think any of the resorts are affected. You also may be able to hear the music and announcements from outside your room, but inside, with windows closed, it's unlikely that it will wake you. The fireworks are more of the crackle type, not the loud bang.

mraphael

Will you have access to a car? My husband met me at the finish line (which is VERY CROWDED BTW) and based his departure on my text message alerts that came across when I crossed certain points in the race.
Once you know they corral placement, it should help you plan better. Since I was in the last corral, I didnt' start until 630. I knew that my estimated time would be 2:30 to finish. What is their estimated time to finish?

There is no reason why you need to be up that early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom