Medical Emergency at Haunted Mansion Last Night?

brertigger

Interesting news. How often do the lines get long enough at HM for them to stretch back there? Or did they rework the queue so that area that was once used for queue now isn't? Any ideas (or pictures)?
I've seen the queue stretch out way past the gates a number of times. It is usually just for about 30 minutes or so that the line is that long, when I have been there.

RonAnnArbor

OMG - during peak times, the line not only goes back to where the fastpast machines used to be, but queus back and forth in the enrance area - they extend the line down along the waters edge and back up and then still have you wind back and forth a few times. At peak, the wait for the Mansion can be more than 90 minutes. THe lines usually die down later in the evening.

DisneyLindz

I hope that people can be a little more sensitive to those who do have panic attacks. It can be a serious occurence. Even if somebody did have a panic attack (not saying it was the case on this occasion) in the Haunted Mansion or anywhere else in Disney for that matter, it does not necessary have to do with the rides itself.

As a mental health counselor, I do get defensive and to people who say these people have "issues" and laugh because they have panic attacks in odd places. No wonder people in the world don't want to admit to others that they have some sort of mental problems because of the ridicule, stigmas, and insensitivity that comes along with it.

Please be aware of what you say about topics such as panic attacks.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
I hope that people can be a little more sensitive to those who do have panic attacks. It can be a serious occurence. Even if somebody did have a panic attack (not saying it was the case on this occasion) in the Haunted Mansion or anywhere else in Disney for that matter, it does not necessary have to do with the rides itself.

As a mental health counselor, I do get defensive and to people who say these people have "issues" and laugh because they have panic attacks in odd places. No wonder people in the world don't want to admit to others that they have some sort of mental problems because of the ridicule, stigmas, and insensitivity that comes along with it.

Please be aware of what you say about topics such as panic attacks.

Well said... being a previous sufferer of panic attacks, and yes, I'm admitting it... I can tell you that they do not have a stimuli most of the time... it's not a mental thing when it occurs... it's totally beneath the surface and you won't realize you're having them until you start hyper-ventilating and passing out. They're brought on by stress... good or bad... and again, are totally subconscious.

But I would like to know what happened if anybody has any news :)

TinkRBell427

Ok, panic attacks are not always brought on by scary situations, as mentioned by others. I went to see Happy Feet this past Tuesday and 20 minutes in I started feeling chest pain, my arms and legs were going numb, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I tried to stay as long as I could, but it was just so painful I had to leave. But it clearly wasn't the movie that caused the attack. I hope that others never experience this kind of pain.
I'm sorry to continue this discussion about panic attacks, but I just like for people to understand them. :animwink:
Anyway, I hope that person is ok and it wasn't anything serious.

WDWToddKaren

those fastpass tickets don't have expiration times, they are called readmission passes, for any attraction at magic kingdom.

On that point, if anyone hasn't noticed, the fastpass machines (well, the boxes) were removed this week in a small queue line refurbishment and the area is used as queue line now.

I was just there in october and they were still there when did they take them out???

WDWToddKaren

well i have panic attacks im on meds now to control it...it has nothing to do with being afraid its just certain things as simple as being in traffic in a car that can set it off....chemical inbalance in the brain .....more people have anxiety than you can imagine they just dont want to admit it

DisneyLindz

I know this isn't a thread about panic attacks, but since it came up.....

Panic attacks can be triggered by thousands of different things (if anything at all!). The sight of a specific stimuli, certain smells,the temperature, different sensory experiences, a memory that comes to mind, etc. It can be anything!

In addition, the signs and symptoms of panic attacks are eerily similar to a heart attack. Sometimes it is hard to decipher if a person is having a panic attack or having a heart attack. Even if a person experiences panic attacks on a consistent basis, one might interpret his/her physical symptoms as a heart attack. In that moment of a panic attack, it is very scary and is usually threatening to a person's sense of safety.

It is very hard to watch someone having a panic attack. Imagine being the person that has one.

Just food for thought.

TinkRBell427

I know this isn't a thread about panic attacks, but since it came up.....

Panic attacks can be triggered by thousands of different things (if anything at all!). The sight of a specific stimuli, certain smells,the temperature, different sensory experiences, a memory that comes to mind, etc. It can be anything!

In addition, the signs and symptoms of panic attacks are eerily similar to a heart attack. Sometimes it is hard to decipher if a person is having a panic attack or having a heart attack. Even if a person experiences panic attacks on a consistent basis, one might interpret his/her physical symptoms as a heart attack. In that moment of a panic attack, it is very scary and is usually threatening to a person's sense of safety.

It is very hard to watch someone having a panic attack. Imagine being the person that has one.

Just food for thought.

Well said!:)

80sRockKevin

Original Poster
Hi there, OP here. Just back literally one hour ago from the The World. Fantastic trip!

I was not suggesting or insuating anything from my original post. I was just curious if anyone had heard of anything happening there. I didn't actually watch TV down there (I was kind of busy :kiss: ) and we hadn't heard anything at the park the next day. I just wanted to make sure everything was ok, as that was the first time we'd seen anything like that before there.

As far as the Fastpasses, they actually DID have an expiration on them. I believe it was December 6 or something like that (we used them the next day so I can't remember the exact day). The expiration date was printed so small though that I'm sure you could just hand them over with no questions asked.

Thanks for everyone's responses,
Kevin

POOHKILLEDTOAD

yup, an obese woman fell exiting a doom buggy. we got stuck next to the singing statues in the graveyard. then the lights came on and a cast member walked us out past the hitchhiking ghosts and the mirrors where they show up in the buggy and past the woman. the paramedics were on scene and someone else was backing up a scooter. she looked fine but sadly it looked as though they were having a time getting her up. we got the same fastpass but only used one of them. we also got a couple of pics with the lights on.

POOHKILLEDTOAD

those fastpass tickets don't have expiration times, they are called readmission passes, for any attraction at magic kingdom.

On that point, if anyone hasn't noticed, the fastpass machines (well, the boxes) were removed this week in a small queue line refurbishment and the area is used as queue line now.

mine that i got says "valid for 1 guest at any one M.K. attraction. please see a cast member for entry instructions. This pass is valid for one use and a minimal wait time may be experienced. AL expires 12.03.06."

IcicleM

Geez, some people just become so critical and "know-it-all"-ee when they see a post that needs correcting. IT was meant to be a joke, haha, so lets all caaalm down and get over it. :) Besides, all has been settled.

Well said... being a previous sufferer of panic attacks, and yes, I'm admitting it... I can tell you that they do not have a stimuli most of the time... it's not a mental thing when it occurs... it's totally beneath the surface and you won't realize you're having them until you start hyper-ventilating and passing out. They're brought on by stress... good or bad... and again, are totally subconscious.

But I would like to know what happened if anybody has any news :)

umm yeah i still have panic attacks and i never have a stimuli. i get them while watching family guy and for thoes of you who dont know family guys is a very funny lighthearted show (that refrences disney alot) and they come out of no where for no reason. many of times i had to go to the hospital because of passing out. it is a very scarry occurance and sometimes i feel like im dying. sometimes you can control an attack w.out meds but it takes alot of concentration. the doctor told me that subconsciously my mind is replaying bad events that may not of triggerd it then but its making up for it. kinda like that part is a little delayed. These all started when i started medical school. so you can develop this anytime in your life. though more ppl are prone to it. ok sry i had to vent. DIDNT WANT TO TRIGGER AN ATTACK LOL

DisneyLindz

Geez, some people just become so critical and "know-it-all"-ee when they see a post that needs correcting. IT was meant to be a joke, haha, so lets all caaalm down and get over it. :) Besides, all has been settled.

First, isn't this web-site all about being "know-it-all"-ee? If someone would have made a mistake about a Disney related topic in an entry (let's say, such as saying that Winnie-the-Pooh is in Adventureland), many people would correct the person. On this website, people ask questions all the time, need clarifications, and just flat out have wrong information some time. And they are typically corrected.

Second, why is it bad that I simply stated some facts about a non-Disney related topic? I was not mean in correcting the mistake. I'm sure if you had an area of "expertise" you would be so inclined to put in your two cents if you read some wrong information about the topic.

Third, nobody needs to "calm down". There was nothing said on this topic that people said with malice or frustration. In fact, most people sounded happy to give their opinion or experiences with panic attacks.

IcicleM

Alrighty... I never mentioned any names, so don't go assuming. I was just stating a fact that it happens on the boards. It was not a personal attack, so don't take it as one. And THAT is what I mean by "calm down" haha, because, whether you see it or not, your words are quite "forward"

celestia

I was just there in october and they were still there when did they take them out???

The machines themselves were gone for a looooong time (there have been crates covering up the holes in the ground.) The crates and such were removed and the ground was patched up about a week and a half ago. The area had stanchions added and was being used for an extended part of the queue line around Thanksgiving.
:wave:

80sRockKevin

Original Poster
mine that i got says "valid for 1 guest at any one M.K. attraction. please see a cast member for entry instructions. This pass is valid for one use and a minimal wait time may be experienced. AL expires 12.03.06."

That's right, that's exactly what ours said as well. Thanks for jogging the memory.

Which reminds me, I had a question on the wording of these particular FastPasses. When it says "one M.K. attraction" does it really mean any attraction, or just one that already accepts fastpasses? We ended up using them on a fastpass ride, but we were curious if we could have used them on say "Pirates" or something like that.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom