Mears Connect - a Joke if Small Kids

runnsally

Out of curiosity, just looked at the price for Mears Connect for a January trip and checked out the FAQ for car seats…

“Car seats will not be offered with the Mears Connect service…service may be on a motor coach, shuttle van or small vehicle. If a guest has a personal car seat, they are welcome to use it.”

So I’m supposed to schlep two cars seats in case my Mears vehicle requires them? What a joke. Non-starter.

RememberWhen

We had the same thought for our February trip. We’ve got 3 kids, 9, 4 and will be 8 months. That’s at least 2 car seats. I did contact them and they were unhelpful about how this would work. We rented a car. We can cancel if something else works out, but I’d rather pay for the car and bring the car seats than not know what we’re going to end up with. We’re definitely going to miss DME

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Out of curiosity, just looked at the price for Mears Connect for a January trip and checked out the FAQ for car seats…

“Car seats will not be offered with the Mears Connect service…service may be on a motor coach, shuttle van or small vehicle. If a guest has a personal car seat, they are welcome to use it.”

So I’m supposed to schlep two cars seats in case my Mears vehicle requires them? What a joke. Non-starter.
Did the Magical Express supply car seats?

Upvote 0

runnsally

Original Poster
Did the Magical Express supply car seats?
No and not sure if this was meant to be rhetorical 😀

Of course everyone has their own comfort level, but most people would not use care seats on a coach bus - generally considered safe without and not even sure if they could be used.

Problem is that Mears may use a smaller van or car in lieu of a coach bus - can’t travel without car seats and no way to know the type of vehicle beforehand.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

Of course everyone has their own comfort level, but most people would not use care seats on a coach bus - generally considered safe without and not even sure if they could be used.

Problem is that Mears may use a smaller van or car in lieu of a coach bus - can’t travel without car seats and no way to know the type of vehicle beforehand.
Pretty sure DME did not allow car seats to be used.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Pretty sure DME did not allow car seats to be used.
Correct - from the DME page:

"Child safety seats are not recommended for use on motorcoaches. Not all motorcoaches have seat belts and those that do may not properly secure the child safety seat."

Florida law:

"Car Seat Laws in Private Chauffeured Vehicles

Florida law specifies that child restraint requirements do not apply to chauffeured vehicles, such as taxis, limousines or other passenger vehicles hired for transportation. This would include private car services, such as Uber and Lyft. The law holds parents, guardians or other entities legally responsible for the welfare of the child responsible for adhering to the law in these instances."

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

I thought Mears is offering multiple options including the same large busses as was DME?

Upvote 1

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I thought Mears is offering multiple options including the same large busses as was DME?

That is correct, but you know how people like to complain at the drop of a hat. There are two Disney-specific offerings: Standard and Express.

The Standard service is a shared-ride service on our Mears Connect (bus, van, or small vehicle) that is economical as the fare includes all tolls and other surcharges. The Connection will make a limited number of stops and will have you on your way to your resort within 20 minutes of your check-in to the Mears Connect reception area.

The Express service is direct service to your resort and back to the airport (guaranteed first stop), with limited to no wait time. The Express service may be provided in a bus, van or a small vehicle as well. This service includes all tolls and other surcharges. NOTE: Express service is not considered private service, it may be a shared service.

and from the Fequently asked questions (aka FAQ) :

Will car seats be offered for either service?​

Car seats will not be offered with the Mears Connect service. Please note, Standard & Express service may be on a motorcoach, shuttle van, or small vehicle. If a guest has a personal car seat, they are welcome to use it. Please note that Express service is not considered private car service, but it may be based on arrival time and volume at that time.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

That is correct, but you know how people like to complain at the drop of a hat. There are two Disney-specific offerings: Standard and Express.
I don’t think it’s really fair to say that this is complaining at the drop of a hat. If I’m traveling with my small child I want to have a fun and (relatively) stress free trip. Not knowing what vehicle we might be put in is pretty stressful. Whether it’s legally required or not, I want my child in a car seat if we’re in a car. I don’t love having my child unrestrained in a coach bus, but I understand that that’s how it goes. It’s definitely a drag to check or carry on a car seat and then be put on a coach bus where we can’t use it anyway.
We’ll arrange other options in the future, which I’m sure some other families will do as well. Lots of people will just assume it’s a big bus and most likely it will be and they’ll be fine. I personally don’t like the uncertainty, which again, is why I’ll make other arrangements. I just expected better of Mears since they know exactly what they’re replacing and who used that service.

Upvote 1

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don’t think it’s really fair to say that this is complaining at the drop of a hat. If I’m traveling with my small child I want to have a fun and (relatively) stress free trip. Not knowing what vehicle we might be put in is pretty stressful. Whether it’s legally required or not, I want my child in a car seat if we’re in a car. I don’t love having my child unrestrained in a coach bus, but I understand that that’s how it goes. It’s definitely a drag to check or carry on a car seat and then be put on a coach bus where we can’t use it anyway.
We’ll arrange other options in the future, which I’m sure some other families will do as well. Lots of people will just assume it’s a big bus and most likely it will be and they’ll be fine. I personally don’t like the uncertainty, which again, is why I’ll make other arrangements. I just expected better of Mears since they know exactly what they’re replacing and who used that service.

They are not Disney and they supplied a service from MCO to Disney resorts prior to DME's existence. As their offering is not subsidized, they make a decision based on how many are going to where and how much it costs.

There are numerous other companies that offer kid seat services such as Kidmoto, Orlando Car Service, Quicksilver but they all cost money which is what most complain about... the lack of an inexpensive or free alternative to DME.

Upvote 0

runnsally

Original Poster
They are not Disney and they supplied a service from MCO to Disney resorts prior to DME's existence. As their offering is not subsidized, they make a decision based on how many are going to where and how much it costs.

There are numerous other companies that offer kid seat services such as Kidmoto, Orlando Car Service, Quicksilver but they all cost money which is what most complain about... the lack of an inexpensive or free alternative to DME.
Wrong assumption. I have no issue paying for this service - just find it interesting that Mears would alienate families with young kids.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Wrong assumption. I have no issue paying for this service - just find it interesting that Mears would alienate families with young kids.

It's not alienation, they comply with the legal requirements to provide transportation for children which may be different than where you come from or desire. You can engage other Mears services with childrens' seats that are not part of the Mears connect offering.

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

I no longer have kids in the car seat stage.... but I can see where this is troublesome.

If Mears tells me I am riding in a van - no complaints I will bring the car seats.
If Mears tells me I am riding in the coach bus - no complaints I will leave the car seats at home.
If Mears doesn't really give me any info, but it could be a bus or a van - and I bring the car seats and don't need them because we ride the bus, I am annoyed but doesn't really impact my vacation at all.
If Mears doesn't really give me any info, but it could be a bus or a van - and I leave the car seats at home assuming it will be a bus, but it ends up being a van..... this does impact my vacation. I now have paid for a van I can't use and I also have to find an alternate means to get to my hotel or purchase a car seat if available.

This could all be avoided by communication! Just tell me when I book if I will be riding in a bus or a van so I know what I have to bring with me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MissingDisney

I no longer have kids in the car seat stage.... but I can see where this is troublesome.

If Mears tells me I am riding in a van - no complaints I will bring the car seats.
If Mears tells me I am riding in the coach bus - no complaints I will leave the car seats at home.
If Mears doesn't really give me any info, but it could be a bus or a van - and I bring the car seats and don't need them because we ride the bus, I am annoyed but doesn't really impact my vacation at all.
If Mears doesn't really give me any info, but it could be a bus or a van - and I leave the car seats at home assuming it will be a bus, but it ends up being a van..... this does impact my vacation. I now have paid for a van I can't use and I also have to find an alternate means to get to my hotel or purchase a car seat if available.

This could all be avoided by communication! Just tell me when I book if I will be riding in a bus or a van so I know what I have to bring with me!
But that’s the thing, they don’t know what you’ll be riding in. They dispatch vehicles based on the demand at the time. There’s no way to predict that months, weeks, or even days in advance as travelers are coming and going and changing plans every minute of the day. They are a business looking to optimize profitable return which means making decisions based on the situation at that time. As long as they are complying with local laws, which they are, the child seat issue is irrelevant to them.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I completely understand your frustration. I think that for people with small kids, they should be able to schedule them, and let the parents know if they need a car seat or not. This is about safety. Plus why would they want their private car drivers being pulled over for having unrestrained children? I agree with you that a paid service should be more responsible in this situation. It might be more of a pain in the rear for them, but safety should be a priority, especially for little kids.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I completely understand your frustration. I think that for people with small kids, they should be able to schedule them, and let the parents know if they need a car seat or not. This is about safety. Plus why would they want their private car drivers being pulled over for having unrestrained children? I agree with you that a paid service should be more responsible in this situation. It might be more of a pain in the rear for them, but safety should be a priority, especially for little kids.
You can reserve and schedule exactly what you want and need, just not with Mears Connect. There are many car and van services in the area that will give you exactly what you want.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

They wouldn’t be pulled over and/or ticketed for unrestrained children as Florida law doesn’t require them to be in child seats.

"Car Seat Laws in Private Chauffeured Vehicles

Florida law specifies that child restraint requirements do not apply to chauffeured vehicles, such as taxis, limousines or other passenger vehicles hired for transportation. This would include private car services, such as Uber and Lyft. The law holds parents, guardians or other entities legally responsible for the welfare of the child responsible for adhering to the law in these instances."

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that having children unrestrained isn’t about safety, but it is a private company looking to maximize their profit margin. By law, as they are allowed to forgo child safety restraints and seats and by doing so, can offer the most flexibility to their scheduling and reservations, which directly impacts their profits.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

You can reserve and schedule exactly what you want and need, just not with Mears Connect. There are many car and van services in the area that will give you exactly what you want.
I do realize this, but it does not make the frustration of the OP any less real. And maybe if enough people complain or go with another company, they will change their policy. We plan on renting a town car service for our next trip to take advantage of the grocery stop. Plus, if I need to go back to paying for what is in essence Magical Express and used to be free, I might as well just pay a bit more and get to WDW a heck of a lot sooner.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom