"Mean" Cast Members

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Merlin, I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated "Having the ability to deal with difficult guests is what sets the professional apart from the others. "

That's just it alot of CM's aren't professionals, they just thought it might be fun to work at WDW.

robynchic

Here's a question for other CMs...

Have you ever noticed that some of the best behaved guests tend to eventually say, "Oh, my husband/wife/mother/father/daughter/son/sister/brother/[extended family of some kind] works here."

When my parents have come to visit me, they tell me that other CMs notice how laid back they are, and that when there's any glitch, that my parents are like "Oh, that's okay. Take your time. We understand you work really hard. Our daughter works here."

And the WORST guests are the ones that scrape together the money to stay in a deluxe hotel, with all these special things (character meals, special extras, etc). They EXPECT higher standards because they had to spend SO MUCH MONEY...when there are families that are just as happy staying at a value resort.

In my time working at Disney, I've had many experiences. If I've learned nothing else, not ALL guests are mean, nor are ALL CM's rude. However, I have noticed a certain amount of Entitlement that guests think they have, no matter where they are. Yes, they are entitled to a pleasant experience while at the parks. HOWEVER, that does not mean that once they step in the gates that every single desire they may think up in their pretty little heads is going to happen.

Example: If I am closing a character's line (aka standing at the back telling guests when they will be able to return to visit the character), I can almost guarantee myself to hear about 30 "Oh come on, It's just one more!!!"s. Really, if I allowed "just one more", I would have to just let the character stay out in the park for about 36 hours straight, cuz then they're never going to be able to go and get a snack.

Many guests think that just because they happen to be standing there, that they are the chosen ones who will be able to cut into a line "Just because they paid $50 to get into the park." Here's a hint, so did nearly everyone else I just told to come back later, get over yourself! Now trust me, I am in no way bitter about my position, I love my job, however, there are always going to be some groups who WANT to see you miserable, just because you gave them some sort of minor dissappointment that they can get over within about 5 minutes, when they're either heading toward another ride or source of entertainment. Let it roll off your back, tell the story in your breakroom, contrast with previous events, and go on with your day. Don't take it out on the next nice family becuse frankly, you really never know who you'll be dealing with.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Service Recovery actually means to give away free stuff - which most people in most situations that throw such fits don't deserve.

The CMs giving in are often promoting bad behavior of the guests rather than dealing with the situation. Like giving a child who cries a lollipop and then the child learns to cry for a lollipop.

Often, the CM doing "service recovery" is merely buying their way out of a situation rather than dealing with it. Guests can be blantantly lying and there can be proof of it on-file and a CM will choose "service recovery" to avoid the situation. That's crap and has always ed me off.

So, there's guilt on both sides.

As for CM's not losing their cool - everyone burns out eventually. New Hires either run away in fear (this is actually noted in training manuals) or they stick it out and become a "lifer." Lifers still get burnt out. All the lifers I ever worked with hated Guests more than anyone but were oh-so-Wonderful to their faces.

People learn what they can get away with, like the lollipop. CMs learn what crap they can pull and some get very good at it.

robynchic

Merlin said:
The way you described what you deal with from guests ("on a daily basis") certainly doesn't sound like you enjoy it. Or do you just enjoy the parts of your job where you don't have to deal with guests?
Excuse me, but if you knew what I do, I'm sure you'd find that I love my job, love doing my job, and I find that most guests are nice to me. But it's the nasty guests with expectations that are way too high that stick out in my mind.

Who do you remember more? The CMs that don't act as "Disney" as they should, or the ones that are always smiling, always nice, with their really sweet tone of voice? Who do you talk about more? The ones who look at you with a tired and irritated look, and hand you your pretzel, or the ones who smile and say "Have a magical day" at the counter as you buy a t-shirt?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
robynchic said:
Excuse me, but if you knew what I do, I'm sure you'd find that I love my job, love doing my job, and I find that most guests are nice to me. But it's the nasty guests with expectations that are way too high that stick out in my mind.

Who do you remember more? The CMs that don't act as "Disney" as they should, or the ones that are always smiling, always nice, with their really sweet tone of voice? Who do you talk about more? The ones who look at you with a tired and irritated look, and hand you your pretzel, or the ones who smile and say "Have a magical day" at the counter as you buy a t-shirt?

Those CMs haven't been informed that saying "Have a Magical Day" is considered unoriginal and unpersonalized and is frowned upon by the Walt Disney Company (No, i'm not kidding).

Dwarful

Well, I don't think I have run into too many mean cast members at WDW. I won't say that everyone has been perky, peppy and 100% cheerful. But for the most part, I think that the CM's do a great job. I think that people in general are more demanding and they feel that they have the right to blow up at the person in front of them. I do not think that CM's have the right to reflect that to the next person. As a person who has worked lots of retail all you can really do is smile, nod, maintain your position and smile at the next person....blowing off steam is for the break room!

btw: my worst experience working retail was this year. I volunteered to work (no pay, 10% off the total sales went to our churches youth group) at the St.Louis Cardinals/ Chicago Cubs game at Busch Stadium in July 110 degrees at Busch Stadium and I got stuck with 1 beligerant drunk who screamed at me up one side and down the other because it was the bottom of the 8th inning and I couldn't sell him four beers... I smiled, told him beer sales were over he could have a soda for free if he wanted one and had someone else call security. I didn't have the right to yell at him, because if i did i would have cost our group their profits.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You tried to buy him off with a soda?

See, i think that's avoiding the situation. Security should be called - no question, but the soda? No no no no!

barnebd5

I've been a cast member for a few months now and I'll tell ya it's tough sometimes to turn it on when you're a little sleep deprived and the guests aren't listening when you say something a million times but hey I just bite my tongue and keep going. I'll tell ya something else to, it's quite satisfying knowing you brightened up a child's day or a family's day.

Dwarful

mousermerf said:
You tried to buy him off with a soda?

See, i think that's avoiding the situation. Security should be called - no question, but the soda? No no no no!

I agree with you 100% but I was following the S.O.P at Busch Stadium for Fundraising Groups. We have to offer anyone who is intoxicated free soda/water until security arrives to deal with them. Same thing for those who tried to buy more than 2 beers (limit 1 beer per person for those who are 21-23, 2 beers per person for all those 24 and older,) and we had to card everyone! I did get a $20 tip when I asked a man who was 51 for his license, of course I think he'd had a few of those $9 beers in him.

AliceFan

I will admit that there have been guest that I am just not nice to and don't find any reason to be. But let me explain why. When I am working a ride, for example, Cindy's Carrousel, seems reasonable to me that just as in any other ride, you will remain fully seated at all times if you are on a horse, or if you are standing, you are going to stay where you are at. But when you attempt to jump off of a moving platform that is moving at full speed, I am not going to be very happy with you. I hope it if very clear as to why I am not happy. 9 times out of 10, when a guest gets hurt on a ride, they do blame it on the cast memeber. That is why we try to take extra percautions against this types of things. Like having saftey spiels. My first and top priority, is safety. And always will be saftey. I find it very easy to be nice to people, and I know this is funny to say, but even when I am getting yelled at, I find it hard to yell, or even try to be mean back. If I come across as mean, probably cause you were doing something you weren't suppose to be doing. If that makes me a bad person, then so be it.

mob308

mousermerf said:
Those CMs haven't been informed that saying "Have a Magical Day" is considered unoriginal and unpersonalized and is frowned upon by the Walt Disney Company (No, i'm not kidding).

Merf, when was the last time you called the WDW Resort line? That is their standard sign off phrase. Above the door as you enter their building, it actually says "Have A Magical Shift." I should know, my wife works there.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
mob308 said:
Merf, when was the last time you called the WDW Resort line? That is their standard sign off phrase. Above the door as you enter their building, it actually says "Have A Magical Shift." I should know, my wife works there.

And she should of been informed that the line is considered unoriginal and not personalized. With the future quality control metric she will get marked off for using an unpersonalized closing for each guest.

How's she liking the new per-minute revnue system?

Merlin

Account Suspended
mousermerf said:
Service Recovery actually means to give away free stuff - which most people in most situations that throw such fits don't deserve.

The CMs giving in are often promoting bad behavior of the guests rather than dealing with the situation. Like giving a child who cries a lollipop and then the child learns to cry for a lollipop.

Often, the CM doing "service recovery" is merely buying their way out of a situation rather than dealing with it. Guests can be blantantly lying and there can be proof of it on-file and a CM will choose "service recovery" to avoid the situation. That's crap and has always ed me off.

So, there's guilt on both sides.

As for CM's not losing their cool - everyone burns out eventually. New Hires either run away in fear (this is actually noted in training manuals) or they stick it out and become a "lifer." Lifers still get burnt out. All the lifers I ever worked with hated Guests more than anyone but were oh-so-Wonderful to their faces.

People learn what they can get away with, like the lollipop. CMs learn what crap they can pull and some get very good at it.

Free stuff is actually a very small part of service recovery. The term, "Service Recovery" refers to turning an unpleasant guest/customer situation into a pleasant one. Sometimes, this includes giving free stuff, a refund, a discount, etc. But that's not what service recovery IS. To say that service recovery "actually means to give away free stuff" would be like saying, "Magic Kingdom actually means Space Mountain". I've been a corporate trainer, specializing in guest/customer service for 13 years, so this is a topic I know quite well. Although each company generally has it's own "service recovery model", for the most part they usually look something like this:

Step one: Empathize. This means to show the guest that you actually do care that what he/she experienced was unpleasant. Statistics show that 68% of customers/guests will not do business with an organization again if the person helping them with their problem acts like they don't care...even if the problem is solved to their satisfaction.

Step two: Apologize. This is the most difficult step for many providers of guest service because, more often than not, the problem isn't the employee's fault, or even the company's fault. The vast majority of the time, it's the guest's perception that something isn't going their way. Many people are fundamentally opposed to apologizing for something that isn't their fault. For this reason, service recovery training generally emphasizes that performing this step does NOT mean you are admitting guilt or taking responsibility for what happened. It simply means you are expressing that you're sorry the person is having to experience the situation. It's like when someone at work tells you they got in a car accident or that a loved one has died. Usually we'll respond with some form of "I'm sorry".

Step three: Clarify. This means to make sure you fully understand what went wrong so that you can fix it to the best of your ability and empowerment.

Step four: Resolve. In some cases, this step does involve giving "free stuff", though not always. More often than not, companies want their employees to be skilled at turning an unpleasant guest situation around without having to resort to giving something away.

Occasionally, service recovery also includes getting a second person involved. Usually this needs to be a person of some actual or perceived authority on the part of the guest, but not always. Studies have actually shown there is some effective psychology to just having a second person come in and handle the situation. Even if that person tells the guest exactly what you just told him/her, they are more likely to listen after hearing it from someone else. Likewise, if YOU are that second person, they're more likely to listen to you and be less angry.

I normally charge a lot of money to train people on the above. But I'll let you all in on a little secret...It's not rocket science!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
So Merlin - you train people for a living?

That means you don't actually work with guests/customers on a regular basis?

mob308

mousermerf said:
And she should of been informed that the line is considered unoriginal and not personalized. With the future quality control metric she will get marked off for using an unpersonalized closing for each guest.

How's she liking the new per-minute revnue system?

Might I ask how long you have worked at the resort call center Merf? Since you obviously know that they are no long training their cast members to still use this phrase? Oh wait...they are...hmm..strange.

mob308

mousermerf said:
So Merlin - you train people for a living?

That means you don't actually work with guests/customers on a regular basis?

Thank you! I have wondered when someone would ask the guru of guest service this question.

mob308

mousermerf said:
Hmm.. no, they're not suppose to, but the training department is incompitent.

I will not disagree with you, I have met a few of the people there, and will agree that most are. On a not consistent with the "mean", or more appropriately incompetent, cast member thread, she has told me of a number of the cast members in that room who, instead of dealing with a problem guest, will hang up on them and say "oops, lost the call.".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom