MDE now promoting DVC

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you purchase direct it can be very difficult to get the math “right side up”, in some cases, ever, but if you buy resale contracts it’s possible to get a payback as low as ~5 years after considering opportunity cost, depending what resort you buy at. The three largest DVCs (Saratoga Springs, OKW, AKL) have the fastest payback.
Yeah, but now you're a "DVC Pariah" ineligible for some major perks of DVC ownership if you buy aftermarket.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yeah, but now you're a "DVC Pariah" ineligible for some major perks of DVC ownership if you buy aftermarket.
I've contemplated buying 100 direct SSR points to gain eligibility (gold APs would save my family $1900/year and thus turn the math back "rightside up") but at this point I'm waiting to see what perks they bring back, DVC members can't buy any APs right now. If I can't ever use my resale points to stay at Riviera, well, I didn't want to pay 60 points to stay a night in a studio in late April anyway. Moonlight Magic sounds fun but it isn't on its own worth the extra $7K to me.

dreamfinder

I miss when they used to give out the litho's alot more regularly. They used to offer them for watching webinars when they released new properties.

If you buy a contract and then resale it, do you keep the perks?

Pretty sure that perks/status/standing apply to the points. So resale points can be used differently than direct bought points. So for instance, new resale purchases for the original DVC properties can't trade into Riviera (unless they change their rules) while direct bought points could. Even if you have direct bought, and resale points that are subject to that restriction, you could only use those direct bought points for Riviera stays. So selling your direct bought points should lose you and perks/benefits that were provided as part of the standing of owning those points.

I'd suggest poking around the DVC sub-forum for more thoughts on this, I'm far from an expert.

FutureCEO

If you purchase direct it can be very difficult to get the math “right side up”, in some cases, ever, but if you buy resale contracts it’s possible to get a payback as low as ~5 years after considering opportunity cost, depending what resort you buy at. The three largest DVCs (Saratoga Springs, OKW, AKL) have the fastest payback.

My parents bought theirs during the last recession on the cheap (resale). Old Key West for about $50 a point and has already gone ahead what they paid for it. And still get all the Disney perks that comes with it (they were grandfathered in).

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
It's still a decent long term proposition. Current offers can get you in for less than Copper Creek ever sold. 200 Riviera points for $160/point when best 200 points at Copper Creek was $161.

$160/49 years remaining = $3.27/year + $8.31 2020 dues --> $11.58/point, or about $222/night for a week in standard view studio in summer 2020. Or $192/night for same accommodations the week before Christmas. Doesn't take into account opportunity cost of not investing the same money, but the numbers can work out well with the current incentives.

The_Jobu

I miss when they used to give out the litho's alot more regularly. They used to offer them for watching webinars when they released new properties.

Pretty sure that perks/status/standing apply to the points. So resale points can be used differently than direct bought points. So for instance, new resale purchases for the original DVC properties can't trade into Riviera (unless they change their rules) while direct bought points could. Even if you have direct bought, and resale points that are subject to that restriction, you could only use those direct bought points for Riviera stays. So selling your direct bought points should lose you and perks/benefits that were provided as part of the standing of owning those points.

I'd suggest poking around the DVC sub-forum for more thoughts on this, I'm far from an expert.
No. They are tied to the contract.

I was just curious. Everyone says that if you buy a resale contracts you dont get the perks, so where do they go? Does the person who originally bought from Disney still keep them or does no one get to use them?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It's still a decent long term proposition. Current offers can get you in for less than Copper Creek ever sold. 200 Riviera points for $160/point when best 200 points at Copper Creek was $161.

$160/49 years remaining = $3.27/year + $8.31 2020 dues --> $11.58/point, or about $222/night for a week in standard view studio in summer 2020. Or $192/night for same accommodations the week before Christmas. Doesn't take into account opportunity cost of not investing the same money, but the numbers can work out well with the current incentives.
Yes, even when you consider opportunity cost (at 6.5% after factoring back inflation), and the outrageous dues, Riviera at $160 is the 2nd cheapest direct purchase per point over the life of the contract after SSR. OKW is just a hair more due to the 13 fewer years (even as much as the out years are discounted).

However, the most expensive resale (Beach Club) is the same cost per point as Riviera direct.

At $195, Riviera moves to 4th cheapest direct purchase per room night after SSR, OKW, and AKV.

Edited - I made a remembery mistake. This analysis was cost per point not room night. Riviera's Point Chart makes it much worse per room night than per point.

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

I was just curious. Everyone says that if you buy a resale contracts you dont get the perks, so where do they go? Does the person who originally bought from Disney still keep them or does no one get to use them?

The perks are just an incentive they throw out there to buy direct. If you cease to be a member by selling your contract, you obviously no longer get DVC perks. Also, DVC can take away and modify these perks for existing members whenever they feel like it, and have done so in the past.

At the end of the day you're just talking about a merch and dining discount(pretty much identical to the AP discount), discount on Gold AP's, and free chips and soda inside the corpse of Imagination pavilion. They also do DVC exclusive park events but they happen so seldomly that very few members actually get the chance to experience them. When you're no longer considered a direct member, you are cut off from these perks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom