MDE now promoting DVC

durangojim

Original Poster
we just finished a stay at BLT in a 2 br villa which was wonderful. Yesterday, which was our last full day there I had a pop up on my MDE inviting me to go to an open house and get a free gift. I did not have to go at a certain time and it listed a room number in each DVC property that you could just walk into, which I did and received a Riviera “lithograph”. I wish I had screenshotted the page with the room numbers but I didn’t think to do so.
F7139AA3-340F-4696-9B37-8C67D4967E2C.jpeg

tirian

This is an interesting development. DVC generally sells well; maybe this is related to slow traffic during Covid-19.

Jrb1979

I'm amazed anyone thinks it's good they are doing this. How Disney has acted since the shutdown and reopening has left a bad taste in my mouth. This just adds to it. I know other parks promote things to get more money. Disney does it more then anyone else.

RCID

I just was discussing with a close friend how we are both getting much more DVC marketing emails lately too. Seems to be a concerted effort amid the pandemic

MurphyJoe

I'm wondering if the resell market is hopping, or Disney expects it to be, so they're trying to get ahead of any potentially lost full priced contracts?

durangojim

Original Poster
I will say that the theme park view 2 bedroom villa was the nicest accommodations we’ve ever had at Disney. I ran the math and got us to stay there for 10 days a year in summer would be about 500 points. So $75-100k plus yearly fees. Definitely not worth it especially when I can usually write off parts of our trips as a business expense.

FutureCEO

I'm amazed anyone thinks it's good they are doing this. How Disney has acted since the shutdown and reopening has left a bad taste in my mouth. This just adds to it. I know other parks promote things to get more money. Disney does it more then anyone else.

A business needs to survive the times. If people never thought of it before and have the money, go for it.

Personally, I would never do it....too expensive. You will break even or make a profit but you have to go to Disney a lot. As in, once or twice a year for 500 years.

RCID

A business needs to survive the times. If people never thought of it before and have the money, go for it.

Personally, I would never do it....too expensive. You will break even or make a profit but you have to go to Disney a lot. As in, once or twice a year for 500 years.
That’s kind of where we were at too. If you do the math and believe there are plenty of other great places to vacation in addition to Disney....DVC isn’t worth it.

esskay

I doubt it has much to do with current events. Selling even 50 DVC memberships out of it is a drop in the ocean compared to their current losses.

Even if they somehow made $20 million extra in DVC sales (they wont), again this is absolutely nothing compared to current losses.

Nubs70

I doubt it has much to do with current events. Selling even 50 DVC memberships out of it is a drop in the ocean compared to their current losses.

Even if they somehow made $20 million extra in DVC sales (they wont), again this is absolutely nothing compared to current losses.
WDW is looking for a series of actions to put a financial tourniquet on a femoral bleed.

SoFloMagic

Agreed. May have more to do with less in person selling opportunity.

Can't lure the kids to the DVC booth with pin trading and win mom over with offers of free fasses because neither exist? Try an ad in MDE!

sWANNISAX

DVC is good for me because my family bought when the points were not as expensive as today but as it has grown it’s become harder to get rooms. The cancellation changes they made during the pandemic are great but the impact of the pandemic on our banker points really is terrible. I feel pressured to go so I don’t lose points.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
DVC is built. They are not actively working on the construction of any DVC resorts right now.

So while pretty much everything else they sell has a cash outflow associated with selling it, DVC does not.

They are currently offering the best incentives they’ve offered on Riviera, and they’re offering incentives on several WDW ”sold out” resorts for the first time ever. I expect them to remain very aggressive on selling down their inventory of DVC points for the foreseeable future.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

If you purchase direct it can be very difficult to get the math “right side up”, in some cases, ever, but if you buy resale contracts it’s possible to get a payback as low as ~5 years after considering opportunity cost, depending what resort you buy at. The three largest DVCs (Saratoga Springs, OKW, AKL) have the fastest payback.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom