Matterhorn at WDW!

WDW4LIFE

Original Poster
Hi All!

I am not sure if this has been posted or not but I have gotten some news today. I have talked with a CM while I was getting breakfast and he said that they are going to build a "matterhorn" (sp?) here at disney world. and that they are going to be changing space mountain to Rockin Space mountain, something to the effect of rockin roller coaster. If this has already been posted im sorry. If not I hope this is good news...

Dani :wave:

Horizons1

Sorry to let ya down, but most of the CM's at WDW just make stuff like that up. While there is a slim chance we could get Rockit Mountain, Matterhorn is not happening.

Captain Hank

Disneyland is getting Rockin' Space Mountain, but I doubt we are. Also, it would be a little strange to build a Matterhorn just after building Everest.

CRO-Magnum

That would be amazing but...

...they have been looking at the Matterhorn in Florida for decades. Imagineers said it couldn't go in the MK because it would be dwarfed by the castle and eventually other "mountains" (nobody explained why it couldn't be made larger...). Then when I was casual pooling from CRO with the survey group one of the topics was to address the falling attendance at Epcot (1990) and general guest impression (ages 14-25) that World Showcase was a let down. One of the options guests were asked to choose from to increase the attractiveness of World Showcase was a Switzerland pavillion with a Matterhorn. When I was consulting at WDW I asked an Imagineer about it and after looking into it out of curiousity said it had been shelved because of scale issues (again) with the Dolphin and Swan resorts. Had heard just before leaving in Aug 1990 that it was under consideration to replace 20,000 Leagues.

Not saying it won't happen, just saying I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Epcot82Guy

yes. Matterhorn at MK is just not an option right now. There might be a fourth mountain, but it almost certainly won't be that. I really think a mountain would have to sit far off in the distance to keep the perspective away from the castle or be more "out" (like Mermaid Lagoon - Mermaid Mountain perhaps?) so that height isn't a major concern. We'll see, I guess.

scottnj1966

Hi All!

I am not sure if this has been posted or not but I have gotten some news today. I have talked with a CM while I was getting breakfast and he said that they are going to build a "matterhorn" (sp?) here at disney world. and that they are going to be changing space mountain to Rockin Space mountain, something to the effect of rockin roller coaster. If this has already been posted im sorry. If not I hope this is good news...

Dani :wave:

Cast members are not told of anything going to be added or removed until most everyone else knows about it too. you will learn that the more you hear from them.
Matterhorn is a very old coaster and design that they would not copy anyway. Space Mountain will probably be re-furbihsed soon I am sure, nothing new there.
Disneyland CA has already had a space mountain re-furb.

The Captain

i understand the Florida 200 foot beacon light limit for planes but what I dont get that isnt WDW now listed as "No fly zone" airspace

Montu

The Matterhorn is an altogether different mountain from Everest.

While I *completely agree* (and personally think Matterhorn is a much better attraction!) the public would NEVER see it that way.

This is what the public will see: White snow mountain with roller coaster to snow beast.

Yup. They're identical.

Madison

While I *completely agree* (and personally think Matterhorn is a much better attraction!) the public would NEVER see it that way.

This is what the public will see: White snow mountain with roller coaster to snow beast.

Yup. They're identical.

Well, yep. This whole sort of conversation is really funny anyhow since there's no chance that they're going to clone a wholly technology-based attraction that is almost 50 years old. Any new Matterhorn would be an entirely different experience than that at Disneyland and, while it'd be an interesting exercise to try to differentiate it from Everest, it's really not worth the effort.

scottnj1966

i understand the Florida 200 foot beacon light limit for planes but what I dont get that isnt WDW now listed as "No fly zone" airspace

WDW is not a no fly zone. That would only happen if we were as a country at alert level orange. That has not happened for awhile now.

Matterhorn is only 147 feet anyway so the 200 foot limit woudl not be anything, plus all they would need it to put a light on top.
But its not going to happen. I am not even sure why Disney put it in disneyland ebcause it looks so out of place and it does dwarf there castle since there castle is so small anyway.

ctwhalerman

I've always wondered whether the Matterhorn was planned for the Magic Kingdom but was simply never built. That bridge to the right of the Castle seems to go nowhere (at least before Toontown Faire), with no "weenie" or even an arch, and roughly corresponds with the Matterhorn's location at Disneyland, so who knows.

Considering it's not even the highest mountain in the Alps, one replica is enough.

AEfx

Everest is what the Matterhorn would have been had it been built this century. It was the evolution of the idea.

I hate to say it, but minor thematic elements aside, they *ARE* both large, snow-covered mountains with a roller coaster rides that feature an encounter with an animatronic mythical snow creature. It's the same general idea, even if the backstories and exact settings/legends may differ.

This isn't like saying "Oh, Pirates and It's A Small World are the same ride because they both are on slow moving boats through the dark". We've got the same type of ride (roller coaster), the same basic setting (cold mountain with icy snow), the same concept for the sole AA's (mythic snow creature who is meant to scare you as you are invading their turf)...the similarities are more few than many.

The original Matterhorn should be maintained as long as it is feasable, because it is a piece of history (it's the first tubular steel coaster in existance) and with it's major revisions over the years has actually kept up well as a ride (unlike, say, MK's Space Mountain), but it would be entirely redundant to place it in the MK at this time.

That said, I do secretly (well, not so secretly) wish for a new mountain at the MK. I just don't think it's going to be a snowy peak.

AEfx

WeLComeHomE OKW

:lol: :lol: LOL :lol: :lol:

I just can't believe we are having a serious conversation right now about this rumor.

It is the funniest rumor I have heard in ages.

S.E.A.

I've always wondered whether the Matterhorn was planned for the Magic Kingdom but was simply never built. That bridge to the right of the Castle seems to go nowhere (at least before Toontown Faire), with no "weenie" or even an arch, and roughly corresponds with the Matterhorn's location at Disneyland, so who knows.

Considering it's not even the highest mountain in the Alps, one replica is enough.

The Matterhorn was planned to go to MK, it was supposed to have been built behind "Small World" and would have thematically blended in with the Skyway station.

This was before imagineers decided Matterhorn might be a better fit for World Showcase so that it would balance out the horizon of WS with Japan's own Mt. Fuji.

-SIR-

The Matterhorn is definatly not coming to MK... I would belive they wanted to add it to the mk some time ago but there is no way its coming any time soon. I would really love for a new mountain where 20K leagues was .... that would be fantastic and give me a reason to go into fantasyland

ears2you

Disneyland is getting Rockin' Space Mountain, but I doubt we are. Also, it would be a little strange to build a Matterhorn just after building Everest.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Why build a ride similar but smaller than the great Everest? And i hope they dont change space mountain. i just found the best side to ride a year ago! (right side by the way is less bumpy then left. as tested by me on many trips)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom