Matt Ouimet Leaves Disney

Incredibles

Original Poster
Mouseplanet.com has reported that Matt Ouimet has left Disney to be president of the Starwood Hotels and Resorts Group. They have his farewell letter, the Starwood press release, and the press release naming Ed Grier as president of Disneyland Resort.

I know this is more along the lines of Disneyland news instead of WDW news, but any shake up in Disney management could change the shape of things for the whole company.

Best of luck to Ouimet!

Here's the link:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/misc.php?pg=ouimet

Lee

Adventurer
The plan for the next 5-6 years at DLR has been approved already. You'll still see Matt's influence in new stuff out there for at least that long.

Why on earth would someone want to leave presiding over Disneyland to presiding over a hotel chain? I don't see how he could be making any more money...

Incredibles

Original Poster
Taryn said:
Why on earth would someone want to leave presiding over Disneyland to presiding over a hotel chain? I don't see how he could be making any more money...
Well, for one thing, Starwoods has over 850 properties in 95 countries. Also, he goes from managing 20,000 people to 145,000 people. There has got to be an increase in salary to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I think his job is ideal also, a dream come true. But, I'm sure they gave him a nice package to get him to leave Disney.

but you can't put a price on looking out your office window and seeing the ToT!

BKLMickey

Seems like no one every had a bad thing to say about Matt, so he will be missed no matter what. A company cannot have too many quality people.

I wish him the best.

Hopefully Ed will continue what all say has been an excellent job that Matt did at DL.

CoffeeJedi

The new Disneyland honcho is going to be Ed Grier, who managed Tokyo Disneyland.
And while the Tokyo resort is now thought of as the new "gold standard" of Disney parks, how he does without the Japanese corporate culture (and the Oriental Land Company) backing him remains to be seen.

TTATraveler

Hopefully Matt's mark on DL and DCA were only the beginning. DCA has so much potential and deserves to become the park it should have been before the lack of spending resulted in what we have today.

Epcot82Guy

I think Matt has shown his exceptional potential for brand-oriented service companies. I think this is a great loss for the Disney Company, but his mark will be seen. Best of luck to him, Disney, and Starwood.

Mr Bill

Wow, this is pretty shockiing. I've heard nothing but great things about Matt. Definitely a loss for the company.

Chape19714

That's the worst news in a while. Hopefully, the New President will be just as good or better. Matt was known for going into the parks and pin-trading with guests in the early morning. The entire cast seemed to know of him and respect him as a rolemodel for what DL should be. Hopefully this will continue with the new President. It's still a loss, but hopefully there is a silver lining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom