Matsuriza and British Revolution last performance at EPCOT on Sunday

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ll miss hearing the drums when I’m staying at BC/YC
That was one of my favorite things about the area...will miss them down the road
Orlando will greatly suffer is the 7 theme parks there remain closed on April. Let's be optimistic. I mean this is a pessimistic centered forum after all but let's hope it opens as scheduled and not extend it.
I am very critical of both the direction Disney has taken - over the last 20 years in particular - and how Florida and Central Florida is built and operates...

But I always wish for the best for the PEOPLE. And a shuttered wdw isn’t good for any of us...anywhere.

Texas84

The Band, the Drummers and the Juggler, were they employees or were the there under contract? i read somewhere that these are contracted employees. so by terminating their contracts it could save disney money in the short term and allow these performers to be out from under a contract to find other work.
They work outside of Disney so I'm assuming contract. I've seen them at festivals.

TrainsOfDisney

They work outside of Disney so I'm assuming contract. I've seen them at festivals.

While I think these acts were on a contract, working outside of Disney doesn’t matter.

Yeehaw Bob, voices of Liberty, dapper dans, etc. are all examples of CM’s who perform at festivals and events outside of Disney.

It also shows how technical Disney is being with “taking care of our cast members.”

donsullivan

Premium Member
While I think these acts were on a contract, working outside of Disney doesn’t matter.

Yeehaw Bob, voices of Liberty, dapper dans, etc. are all examples of CM’s who perform at festivals and events outside of Disney.

It also shows how technical Disney is being with “taking care of our cast members.”
While we do not have specific details this seems to look like blue badge (actual Disney employees) are safe(r) and green badge (contract employees) are likely at higher risk. Most don't realize that much of the World Showcase entertainment are not Disney employees but independent contractors. That is actually a normal model for entertainment.

TrainsOfDisney

My point is that it is a normal model for all of the entertainment industry, not specifically Disney.

I’m not disagreeing with your point. Just making another point. :)

The bigger point is- these were people that were employed by Disney (one way or another) for 15-25 years. They were iconic enough to be featured on the world showcase posters... and Disney just let them go. That’s sad. And yes I know “it’s business” - that doesn’t mean that I don’t feel sorry for them personally.

wannabeBelle

It was not the normal model for Disney entertainment. It’s becoming, yes, but it wasn’t.
Exactly this. Off Kilter were Disney Employees for the entire length of time they played in the parks. They did outside festivals and such as well but were CM's. Jaime specifically had gotten a Cast Member Legacy award. In the end, it didnt matter, they were terminated. At least two of the members of Off Kilter still work for the company in other roles but not doing Entertainment. Other band members that I know have gone to the new normal of contracted outside entertainment. I am just hoping that this is a temporary thing and more entertainment will be in place when this is over. No lumberjacks please!!! Marie

donsullivan

Premium Member
Exactly this. Off Kilter were Disney Employees for the entire length of time they played in the parks. They did outside festivals and such as well but were CM's. Jaime specifically had gotten a Cast Member Legacy award. In the end, it didnt matter, they were terminated. At least two of the members of Off Kilter still work for the company in other roles but not doing Entertainment. Other band members that I know have gone to the new normal of contracted outside entertainment. I am just hoping that this is a temporary thing and more entertainment will be in place when this is over. No lumberjacks please!!! Marie
I do not want to get into the details because it will start yet another food fight here but trying to connect Off Kilter's departure to this is a pretty significant false equivalency. The reasons for departure are completely unrelated and trying to conflate them is ridiculous.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

I do not want to get into the details because it will start yet another food fight here but trying to connect Off Kilter's departure to this is a pretty significant false equivalency. The reasons for departure are completely unrelated and trying to conflate them is ridiculous.
Not really. Off Kilter and the World Showcase Players as well as Mo'Rockin' were let go at the same time. The year after that was Mulch, Sweat & Shears. Now here goes three more long time acts. I see a pattern of live entertainment being reduced. I do believe that the construction and closure of the parks did speed this up, but I am pretty sure it was in the works regardless. Some such as British Revolution might be due to work that will be forthcoming in the area, but the Japanese Drummers and Sergio as well have nothing going on that I am aware of. I hope that this is reversed and that once the parks reopen and everything starts heading back to normal, that we will see an increase in the entertainment in and around the Parks. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom