Massive King Triton Statue Added-

Soarin' Over Pgh

I believe it's Fiberglass... I think it's suppose to be a knod to the bronze statue that sat in the 20k lagoon during the former M&G Area for Ariel.
New version..
DSC08054.jpg

Old version
King_Triton_by_AuroraExecutionchan.jpg

I love the old bronzed fountain one so much more. I remember seeing it at Disneyland and being wowed but how perfect it looked coming out of the water, and when the sun hits it, it looked so pretty. Err, handsome?

I don't know what to think of the faux wooden one. It looks too cartoonish (dumbed down?) and the base doesn't seem to work for me.

It's like an afterthought. That corner didn't have anything so they plopped this massive thing down and called it a day, packed up and went home.

rangerbob

Oh, half a carving. It just doesn't look nice since it is 1/2 finished and has a big bulky block of wood at the bottom sitting on a couple pieces of wood. It looks like they may change their mind at any minute and pull a forklift under it and take it away. I love everything else around it but that looks out of place.

TP2000

The Triton's Gardens section of Ariel's Grotto opened at Disneyland in January, 1996. That's when the Triton statue first appeared.
DSC_0371.jpg

Ariel's Grotto at Disneyland closed in 2008, Triton was removed from his pond, and the Grotto area became Pixie Hollow by that following Christmas. Triton reappeared on top of DCA's The Little Mermaid ride in the spring of 2011. There was a post on the Disney Parks Blog with an Imagineer claiming it was the same exact statue from the Disneyland pond, preserved and repurposed for use on top of the DCA building.
20111120_8472.jpg

The cloned statue at WDW's Submarine Lagoon didn't appear until later in 1996, and it's obvious the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom versions were clones of each other. This new statue in Fantasyland has a different arm structure, so it's not an exact copy of the original, much less the original statue itself like the DCA version is. Still, it's all very interesting that this Triton figure keeps reappearing over the decades at multiple parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom